Author Topic: Tim Wakefield Has Passed Away  (Read 5432 times)

Re: Tim Wakefield Has Passed Away
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2023, 04:56:02 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Oh my goodness. I'm shocked. I knew he was fighting some illness, but I never suspected he was close to death. That's very sad.

Edit: Just saw phantom's note about the brain cancer. Wow. Didn't know that.

Yeah, and it sounds like he and his family were trying to keep it private, but Curt Schilling in a recent podcast he did revealed it and even admitted he didn't know if Wakefield wanted it out there.

POS  >:( >:( >:(

What Schilling did wasn't right. I heard what he said on the Sports Hub, and it sounded like he brought it up with good intentions. As a Christian, he thought the power of prayer would help. As far as him letting everyone know, does anyone think his podcast reaches that many people? The reason why everyone knew about the cancer diagnosis was because news outlets caught wind from the podcast and decided to cash in on the news. For me, they are the real scumbags here.

You know what they say about the road to hell, I presume.

Very sad to hear about Wakefield. Most athletes are pretty middling as people, but I've heard nothing but good things about him.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Re: RIP Tim Wakefield
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 05:23:00 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So sad, was a favorite of mine growing up for sure. RIP.

Re: RIP Tim Wakefield
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2023, 08:04:36 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
So sad, was a favorite of mine growing up for sure. RIP.

Same. It was always an adventure watching him pitch. But when he was on, he made all-star hitters look like amateurs. He was a great fielder too, probably because he started as a position player. Pretty cool that he reinvented himself by mastering such a difficult pitch.

I remember some catchers just couldn't handle him at all. Except for when he uncorked his 80mph fastball.

Glad he got his revenge against the Yankees in 2004. And a great career overall, not to mention all the stuff he did in the community.

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2023, 10:16:26 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
RIP. He was a class act. Had a standing $4m offer to play for the Sox every year. It wasn’t about the money for him.

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2023, 11:59:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Very sad indeed .
Condolences to the family

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2024, 03:59:33 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Tim Wakefield’s wife passed away today, also of cancer.  She was 57.  They had two children who are in the 18-20 range — I can’t imagine losing both parents to cancer within a few months like that, at their age.

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2024, 04:08:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Tim Wakefield’s wife passed away today, also of cancer.  She was 57.  They had two children who are in the 18-20 range — I can’t imagine losing both parents to cancer within a few months like that, at their age.

Awful news.  Just horrible stuff. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2024, 05:00:33 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
So tragic. Prayers for the family. Must be devastating for their kids. I just couldn’t imagine what they are going through  :'(
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2024, 07:13:36 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I feel horrible for their kids.  Losing one parent is devastating.  Losing both so close together is unconscionable.