Author Topic: Making a Long Drive More Enjoyable  (Read 4645 times)

Re: Making a Long Drive More Enjoyable
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
Two things:

1. Definitely plan for two days. Even if you only break for a few hours at a cheap roadside motel and take a nap and a shower, you will significantly cut your risk factor from fatigued driving.

2. Don't take I-95.  Instead,depending on what part of GA you are leaving from make your way to Charlotte (via I-85 or I-77) then I-81 through Harrisburg to Scranton, then I-84 to cross the Hudson on the Newburgh Beacon bridge. Then I-84 through Danbury. Pick up I-681 to SR 9 to I-95 to Providence.

This theoretically adds about an hour compared to I-95, but you will avoid DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC traffic, which will actually reduce your road time. You will also save a lot on tolls, and will get some great scenery along the way. The worst traffic you can expect is Harrisburg, and that is only during rush hour.

The downside is you will be travelling with a lot of trucks, and the mountain passes can be intimidating for some drivers.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
If you do end up going up I-95, I would stop around Richmond and pull the second half of the drive as an overnight. The traffic from Richmond, VA to Portsmouth, NH is a nightmare during rush hour. Once you do get past NYC it is crazy traffic trying to get to the cape during the summer, road work everywhere, and a maze of little cities all settled before cars were invented.

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
If you do end up going up I-95, I would stop around Richmond and pull the second half of the drive as an overnight. The traffic from Richmond, VA to Portsmouth, NH is a nightmare during rush hour. Once you do get past NYC it is crazy traffic trying to get to the cape during the summer, road work everywhere, and a maze of little cities all settled before cars were invented.

Overnight driving is also not a bad strategy to avoid traffic, but it does not avoid road construction, which they tend to do overnight in that corridor.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 11:24:01 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Make the trip annually....(25+times)....avoid DC....Like the idea od 81 and 84....much prettier....saves about thirty dollars in tolls......if you go 95 get off about five miles north of Richmond onto 301 and follow past the outskirts of Annapolis into Delaware

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
2. Don't take I-95.  Instead,depending on what part of GA you are leaving from make your way to Charlotte (via I-85 or I-77) then I-81 through Harrisburg to Scranton, then I-84 to cross the Hudson on the Newburgh Beacon bridge. Then I-84 through Danbury. Pick up I-681 to SR 9 to I-95 to Providence.

This theoretically adds about an hour compared to I-95, but you will avoid DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC traffic, which will actually reduce your road time. You will also save a lot on tolls, and will get some great scenery along the way. The worst traffic you can expect is Harrisburg, and that is only during rush hour.

The downside is you will be travelling with a lot of trucks, and the mountain passes can be intimidating for some drivers.

Not sure tarheelsxxiii schedule or preferences, but I think he should be able to take I-95 and miss the traffic.

Break the trip up into two 8 hour days.   Leave on Friday and stop somewhere between Richmond and DC for the night.  Then that puts the I-95 traffic nightmares of DC, Baltimore, Philly, New York, Stamford-Fairfield-Bridgeport all on Saturday which shouldn't be much of a problem then.  Get in on Saturday night.  That leaves Sunday to recuperate from the drive, relax, and get settled, then start the internship fresh on Monday.

If it was me, that's how I'd try to do it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
99 Bottles of beer on the wall?

I try to break it up into little milestones to look forward to.  Mileage goals or landmarks. 

Lately I've been keeping running percentages of things while I drive; ie; people on cell phones, people with windows down vs up, cars from out of state etc...but I'm a numbers geek and my trips are usually an hour or less.

Above mentioned omnipresent music or podcasts.  Hard Core History was recommended to me on here a couple of years ago and I've loved those for podcasts.

Here ya go Dan Carlin on Joe Rogan podcast, kill 2 birds with one stone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeFVuvGBJBs

There's like 5 episodes with him as a guest.

cool

I'll have to check them out
Yup