Author Topic: Making a Long Drive More Enjoyable  (Read 4646 times)

Making a Long Drive More Enjoyable
« on: May 29, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Hi, All.  I'll be making a long drive from GA to RI (~16 hrs) for an summer internship and wanted to ask if any one has advice for making the drive less taxing/more enjoyable.  I'll be driving alone and imagine it could get pretty boring / tiresome after a while.  I think I'll break it up into 2 days unless driving straight through seems doable at the halfway point.  Thanks in advance. 

Markelle Fultz is coming.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Making a Long Drive More Enjoyable
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Hi, All.  I'll be making a long drive from GA to RI (~16 hrs) for an summer internship and wanted to ask if any one has advice for making the drive less taxing/more enjoyable.  I'll be driving alone and imagine it could get pretty boring / tiresome after a while.  I think I'll break it up into 2 days unless driving straight through seems doable at the halfway point.  Thanks in advance. 

What's up Tarheels have made the same drive to Massachusetts many times.

Educational material. What are your interests? I like Alan Watts a philosophy guy.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 06:47:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Thanks, KGLL.  I hadn't heard of Alan Watt - seems like an interesting guy.  I'll give that a listen.  Do you stream from your phone, or radio?  I'm generally interested in all things psychology, though philosophy is great too. 

Btw, have you stopped around halfway, like in VA, on your past trips?  Thanks in advance.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

NBA podcasts, ebooks

if driving alone I would split into 2 days.  Start early and avoid driving once it becomes really dark (considering fatigue, difficulty making out curves)

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Joe Rogan podcast has some pretty interesting episodes and they are about 3 hours long , so they could eat up a good chunk of time.

Hear are some episodes you might enjoy
Chris Ryan
Duncan trussell
Bill burr

There are a lot of great episodes, just Google best episodes from joe rogan podcast.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 07:00:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I drive an 8 hour trip from PA to IL to visit family about once every two to three months. I've probably made 15-20 of those trips the last several years, so I've tried lots of different methods, being that I usually drive at nights so my younger kids don't drive me insane the whole way.

Outside of having my iPod always on, I've found that stand-up comedy usually keeps me entertained and awake. Personally, I'm a big Daniel Tosh fan (he has three stand-up specials that are hilarious), and Bill Burr has some good stuff, too. I've also recently listened to Chappelle's new standup and most of Kevin Hart's stuff.

Netflix also has an offline viewing option now that is handy. That's how I've listened to Chappelle's new standup in the car after downloading it to my phone. I've also found that if you have a favorite movie that you're familiar with just listening to it can keep you entertained and awake.

My buddy and I drove like 19 hours from St Louis to Boston in 2012 to watch game 4 of the C's Eastern Conference Finals, and being severely sleep-deprived and having to get back for my statistics final, we drove all night after the game with the movie Grandma's Boy on repeat keeping us entertained lol I'm fairly certain we would've fallen asleep and wrecked otherwise.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 07:24:37 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Audible.com

You can sign up and get a free book to give it a shot. DL the book on your phone and pipe that through your car's audio. It will keep you entertained without your eyes ever leaving the road. Depending on your preferences I could recommend some titles.

I travel almost constantly for work so I'm always in airports, on planes, taking long car rides, etc. and Audible is my constant source for entertainment.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
99 Bottles of beer on the wall?

I try to break it up into little milestones to look forward to.  Mileage goals or landmarks. 

Lately I've been keeping running percentages of things while I drive; ie; people on cell phones, people with windows down vs up, cars from out of state etc...but I'm a numbers geek and my trips are usually an hour or less.

Above mentioned omnipresent music or podcasts.  Hard Core History was recommended to me on here a couple of years ago and I've loved those for podcasts. 
Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Good mix tape.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Thanks, KGLL.  I hadn't heard of Alan Watt - seems like an interesting guy.  I'll give that a listen.  Do you stream from your phone, or radio?  I'm generally interested in all things psychology, though philosophy is great too. 

Btw, have you stopped around halfway, like in VA, on your past trips?  Thanks in advance.

Here is some Alan Watts. There is actually two of them here is the British one I was referring too.

https://youtu.be/VCxRSiaFciI

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 08:28:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Where is the internship?  I've lived in RI my whole life.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 08:29:20 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I've done a lot of long drives over the last several years, but not as bad as yours, usually between 2-6 hours.  Here's what I do:

1. Set up a long playlist of songs.  iPod, Spotify, whatever.  No matter your taste in music, look for things that'll get you pumped and not put you to sleep.  I've spent years crafting my various playlists for these drives, the longest being about 15 hours.  I just pick the playlist for whatever mood I'm in and hit shuffle and it's non-stop songs I want to hear.

2.  Podcasts are awesome.  Whatever your interest, I'm sure you can find several podcasts out there you that will tickle your fancy  Obviously we're on a Celticsblog, so basketball is probably up your ally, Zach Lowe, Adrian Wojnarowski, Bill Simmons are all worth checking out.  And they have huge archives you can browse through.  Some are topical so they might not be as interesting checking out months or years later, but others are just interviews/conversations with sports personalities.  A podcast talking about the trade deadline, ya you might not want to listen to months or years after the fact, but then you have podcasts that have Scal talking about his career and what it was like playing with KG, those are interesting to listen to whenever.

Besides the NBA ones, I listen to podcasts on pro wrestling and vintage video game collecting.  Just goes to show there's podcasts for everything.  Most are usually between 1-3 hours.  Easy to download too so you don't have to worry about streaming.

3. Phone calls.  Have an old buddy you haven't talked to in 6 months, a grandmother that would love to hear from you?  Give them a call and catch up.  I save a lot of my lets-catch-up phone calls for my long drives.

My most recent 8 hour round trip went something like: spent first 2 hours catching up with a couple of friends, then the next 2 hours listening to music on the way to my destination.  Then on the way back it was 1 hour of music and 3 hours of podcasts.  Made the trip very bearable.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:51:36 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Many thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.  Some great (and funny) suggestions that I'll definitely check out.  TPs all around.  Also, if I find anything to add I'll check back in here.

Cool, I've heard good things.  Only an 1.5 hrs from where I grew up, too.  I'll be in Providence at RIH/Butler.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:11:02 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 10:07:36 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Many thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.  Some great (and funny) suggestions that I'll definitely check out.  TPs all around.  Also, if I find anything to add I'll check back in here.

Cool, I've heard good things.  Only an 1.5 hrs from where I grew up, too.  I'll be in Providence at RIH/Butler.
Oh nice.  I used to work at RIH and had a clinical at Butler.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 10:14:15 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
99 Bottles of beer on the wall?

I try to break it up into little milestones to look forward to.  Mileage goals or landmarks. 

Lately I've been keeping running percentages of things while I drive; ie; people on cell phones, people with windows down vs up, cars from out of state etc...but I'm a numbers geek and my trips are usually an hour or less.

Above mentioned omnipresent music or podcasts.  Hard Core History was recommended to me on here a couple of years ago and I've loved those for podcasts.

Here ya go Dan Carlin on Joe Rogan podcast, kill 2 birds with one stone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeFVuvGBJBs

There's like 5 episodes with him as a guest.