Author Topic: Shame on NBC (It appears Conan is leaving the Tonight Show.)  (Read 23520 times)

Re: Shame on NBC
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 03:48:54 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
I would love to see Conan go to FOX and compete directly against Leno. That would be great and he would destroy Leno in the ratings.

Unfortunately this is probably not the case. I love Conan but I think Leno appeals to a wider audience and will crush both Dave and Conan in the ratings. Check Tvbythenumbers and you will find that Conan has been trailing letterman but Leno was destroying Dave when they both were at 11:30. The problem with Conan and Dave being on at the same time is that their styles are too similar and Leno fans probably are not going to like Conan and Dave fans won't jump ship to watch Conan so he is screwed until Letterman retires

Why do you suppose this wide, supposedly loyal audiance can't be bothered to tune in an hour early?

Jay was a good talking head, but NBC's ratings at that time slot were a product of him steering the ship alright and getting good guests, something conan is not doing.

If jay leno the person was such a draw, he wouldn't have lower ratings than Iron chef reruns (look it up, iron chef america beat him two weeks ago)

This move won't wrok for NBC either btw, people will see it for what it is, a complete and utter panic move to try to cover up Leno's failure.

NBC is by far the worst network on television, unless you want to watch a trashy reality TV show. Viewers know it, and will stay away.

His audience did follow him to 10 its just that a lot more eyeballs are watching at 10 so his ratings share is less. Leno usually gets like a 1.5 at ten Conan and Dave are average around .9 at 11:30. Since Leno was dominating Letterman at 11:30 I assume his ratings share was around 1.1 or so, so his audience followed him to 10

Speaking of NBC one of the few quality shows on the network returns sunday night, Chuck. I highly recommend it

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
There's just way too much talent that comes out of Boston ... they don't know what to do with it all! ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 02:20:06 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I like Conan over Leno, but if his contract allows this, I can't feel too badly for him.
Apparently his contract does not allow it. Here is the situation via TMZ.com

We broke the story the Jay Leno will be reclaiming his old time slot. There has been speculation that NBC exercised a loophole, which would allow the network to give Conan a portion of his time slot back (12:05-12:35) without having to pay Conan a penalty -- but sources tell us that is not the case.

We're told NBC is in breach of it's agreement with Conan by moving the start time of his show. As a result, Conan now has three options.

Option 1: Quit the show and spend the next four years at the beach. If Conan does this, our sources say NBC would have to pay him the value of his contract. We're told it's a five-year deal, worth as much as $20 million a year. With four years to go, Conan could conceivably get $80 million. But given his skin pigmentation and, possibly, his ego, the beach is unlikely.

Option 2: Go to either FOX or ABC. This is where it gets complicated. If Conan were to strike a deal with either network to do a competing show, any salary Conan pulls in would offset the obligation owed by NBC. So, for example, if Conan made $20 million a year at NBC and ABC were to pay him $15 million a year, NBC would only owe Conan $5 mil a year for the four years remaining in his contract.

Option 3: Eat crow and take the 12:05-1:05 time slot. If Conan takes this option, our sources say it's likely NBC would negotiate a new contract with the same salary Conan was getting before. Even though the salary isn't supported by the time period, it's cheaper than paying him off. NBC, we're told, prefers this option, because Conan would not be splintering Leno's rating by going to another network.

So, Conan, will it be door #1, 2 or 3?
  Alot of people are suggesting he go to FOX or ABC at very low pay. So he gets paid by NBC to work at another network.

NBC is really screwing themselves if this is correct.

Re: Shame on NBC (It appears Conan is Done with NBC.)
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

This is the message Conan just sent out. It appears Conan is going to walk away from the trainwreck that is NBC. Which means, The tonight show will probably stay at 11:30 with Leno.

I guarantee FOX will be ready with an offer.

Re: Shame on NBC (It appears Conan is leaving the Tonight Show.)
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 04:35:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
good for him. NBC operates like they're some kind of untouchable, continuously throwing out crap new shows, and really just killing off the shows that are actually worth something  (Again.....LIFE.)

The thing I wonder is...how long until this spills over. Conan(former SNL writer), 30 Rock (Tina Fey, first female head writer on SNL), and Parks & Rec are all intrinsically linked, through SNL, then back through the Tonight show.

NBC has forever been the Comedy factory of America, but now, that time is probably gone. The Daily Show and Colbert Report are easily the funniest things on every single night they air fresh episodes. Cable channels are really pushing the broadcasters with programs like curb, FOTC, Always Sunny....

The main broadcasters need to change their business model and come back around. No more reality TV, no more According to Jim. Lets return to good television

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Conan was great for The Tonight Show.  While in California for the BCS game, some of my family went to a taping.  They loved it.

Jay Leno is a hack and always has been.  Now he's the Brett Favre of late night television.  I wish him luck, but I ain't watchin'.

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 04:37:10 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
CoCo should have his own network. I have grown up staying up way too late and being extremely unprepared for school the next day just to watch Conan. I hate to see him leave NBC, which I see as being the greatest non cable network, but they have been complete idiots lately. As long as Conan is on somewhere, I'll be watching, just hopefully not FOX which is almost as trashy as MTV and VH1.

Jay Leno is a tool, they guy isn't funny anymore. As bad as Conan has been doing in his new time slot, Leno has been much worse, and rightly so.

On a side note, I've actually started to like Jimmy Fallon. His over the top ridiculousness and randomness reminds me of old Conan. I'll be watching Jimmy from now on regardless. Jimmy somehow manages to get pretty good guests on his show too, for example, Ringo Starr tonight will be talking and performing three stars. Jimmy does a pretty good Ringo impression too, should be fun to watch.

Long live Conan O'Brien!

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
good for him. NBC operates like they're some kind of untouchable, continuously throwing out crap new shows, and really just killing off the shows that are actually worth something  (Again.....LIFE.)

The thing I wonder is...how long until this spills over. Conan(former SNL writer), 30 Rock (Tina Fey, first female head writer on SNL), and Parks & Rec are all intrinsically linked, through SNL, then back through the Tonight show.

NBC has forever been the Comedy factory of America, but now, that time is probably gone. The Daily Show and Colbert Report are easily the funniest things on every single night they air fresh episodes. Cable channels are really pushing the broadcasters with programs like curb, FOTC, Always Sunny....

The main broadcasters need to change their business model and come back around. No more reality TV, no more According to Jim. Lets return to good television

Yeah, well-said ... the "major" networks are hanging themselves, and most quality television has found better deals and a better audience on the cable channels. I think the "Big Three" may be going the way of the Great Auk, sadly.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
... just hopefully not FOX which is almost as trashy as MTV and VH1.

You think so?  Fox has some quality programming, in my opinion.  24 and House stack up against anybody, and there are a lot of other decent shows.  I think the days of Fox being an also-ran network are well behind them.

Other than The Office and 30 Rock, what's so great about NBC?  I'd probably rank them 3rd or 4th among the networks.  To me, CBS and Fox by far outpace NBC and ABC.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

You think so?  Fox has some quality programming, in my opinion.  24 and House stack up against anybody, and there are a lot of other decent shows.  I think the days of Fox being an also-ran network are well behind them.

Other than The Office and 30 Rock, what's so great about NBC?  I'd probably rank them 3rd or 4th among the networks.  To me, CBS and Fox by far outpace NBC and ABC.

I agree about Fox's worse days being behind them. Simpons + the Seth MacFarlane shows are the best thing on Sundays besides football and Dexter..and trueblood.

Fringe is a show I absolutely never miss, to the point where I was switching back and forth between it and the game last night until the 4th, where the game got my attention.

Dollhouse has made the transition from quirky to awesome. Too bad Fox didn't notice.

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Dollhouse has made the transition from quirky to awesome. Too bad Fox didn't notice.

Is it on Fox or the fans?  I don't know enough about the situation.

I enjoyed the Sarah Connor Chronicles, but unfortunately it got canceled.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Is it on Fox or the fans?  I don't know enough about the situation.

I enjoyed the Sarah Connor Chronicles, but unfortunately it got canceled.

No you're right. They did put it on friday nights (which really sets it up to fail), but regardless, it didn't have the numbers.

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 05:03:24 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

Nothing on Fox interests me, except for Family Guy. I'm not a fan of dramatic television so I don't watch 24 or House. Although I will say I have watched a couple episodes of House and did like it, I can't get into that kind of show. Also, the idea of 24 just doesn't do it for me. Too dramatic, not realistic, just terrible. I like my drama in movies, and I like my comedy in television. Also FOX is full of conservative nut jobs and because of that I try to keep that station off my TV as much as possible. I will admit they have shown improvements since "The Simple Life" with Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie...  but the whole network is still very unappealing to me.

On the other hand NBC has always been appealing to me. Maybe it's just because I'm comfortable with a network I have loved my entire life... I enjoy the everything on this station from the news, to SNL, Conan, Jimmy, The Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, I even find Leno bearable at times.

House, Family Guy, and 24 are the only shows that I can somewhat understand people being interested in on FOX.

Of course now if Conan leaves NBC, NBC will go down a notch in my book, and I would probably never watch Leno again because of it, so maybe NBC ends up going down 2 notches. That still leaves 6 things I like about NBC in comparison to 1 thing on FOX. I would still hold NBC above FOX.

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 05:21:43 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
I'd love to see Conan get a show on Fox or even a cable station for that matter. Stick it to NBC conan!

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
ABC - Modern Family (one of the best new shows in a while...very funny)