Author Topic: Shame on NBC (It appears Conan is leaving the Tonight Show.)  (Read 23519 times)

Shame on NBC (It appears Conan is leaving the Tonight Show.)
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:33:44 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I am absolutely disgusted with what has been going on over at NBC in the past few days. If you haven't heard the news, reportedly, NBC has given Conan O'brien an ultimatum. Either he gives up his 11:30 to Jay Leno, or he has to leave the network.

Here's the story:

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/08/conan-obrien-jay-leno-nbc-tonight-show/
As TMZ first reported, after the Olympics, Jay Leno will get his 11:30 PM time period back. We're told network execs have told Conan they will let him decide if he wants the midnight to 1:00 AM time slot. If he does, Leno's show will only be a half hour. If Conan walks, Leno will get a full hour, informed sources tell TMZ.

Our sources say Conan has not decided what he wants. We do know he's ****ed, because he was given no advanced warning this was coming. Conan's people told NBC they are considering the offer. Translation: Mr. O'Brien -- I have Rupert Murdoch on line one, Stephen McPherson on line two, John Landgraf on line three, Jeff Wachtel on line four ...

We're told if Conan gets another offer, even though NBC could block the move, they will let him go and give Leno the full hour.

Both Conan and Leno are suffering from lower than usual ratings. With Leno's being extremely low. Personally, I've alway loved Conan and I think NBC is doing Conan very wrong. He's been the Tonight Show host in waiting for 5 or so years leading up to this. And he hung around with the Late Night show for longer then most would because of it.

This move is all about money, and at the end of the day it is a business.  But I'm not even sure it's good business. Leno's star has long since faded from his hay day, and it's time for him to pass the torch.

I really hope Conan finds a way to stick it to NBC, but I just don't see the venue for him to do it. (This isn't the first time NBC has done a long time late night host wrong, see: Letterman,David.) And I want to see Conan be successful. FOX say they don't rule out bringing in Conan, but really, its fox, so I don't see interest from Conan.

To put Conan in a position like this, where its so public, and taking over the reins of the Tonight Show was so significant its just shameful. If I were Conan, I don't know if I could take the demotion. But he's always been a humble guy.

Whether you prefer Conan or Leno, I hope you see the shadiness of these moves.

Thoughts?

Update: The most recent word from Conan

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:02:32 PM by beantownboy171 »

Re: Shame on NBC
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Conan should leave NBC. They don't deserve to have him.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:45:13 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
I am absolutely disgusted with what has been going on over at NBC in the past few days. If you haven't heard the news, reportedly, NBC has given Conan O'brien an ultimatum. Either he gives up his 11:30 to Jay Leno, or he has to leave the network.

Here's the story:

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/08/conan-obrien-jay-leno-nbc-tonight-show/
As TMZ first reported, after the Olympics, Jay Leno will get his 11:30 PM time period back. We're told network execs have told Conan they will let him decide if he wants the midnight to 1:00 AM time slot. If he does, Leno's show will only be a half hour. If Conan walks, Leno will get a full hour, informed sources tell TMZ.

Our sources say Conan has not decided what he wants. We do know he's ****ed, because he was given no advanced warning this was coming. Conan's people told NBC they are considering the offer. Translation: Mr. O'Brien -- I have Rupert Murdoch on line one, Stephen McPherson on line two, John Landgraf on line three, Jeff Wachtel on line four ...

We're told if Conan gets another offer, even though NBC could block the move, they will let him go and give Leno the full hour.

Both Conan and Leno are suffering from lower than usual ratings. With Leno's being extremely low. Personally, I've alway loved Conan and I think NBC is doing Conan very wrong. He's been the Tonight Show host in waiting for 5 or so years leading up to this. And he hung around with the Late Night show for longer then most would because of it.

This move is all about money, and at the end of the day it is a business.  But I'm not even sure it's good business. Leno's star has long since faded from his hay day, and it's time for him to pass the torch.

I really hope Conan finds a way to stick it to NBC, but I just don't see the venue for him to do it. (This isn't the first time NBC has done a long time late night host wrong, see: Letterman,David.) And I want to see Conan be successful. FOX say they don't rule out bringing in Conan, but really, its fox, so I don't see interest from Conan.

To put Conan in a position like this, where its so public, and taking over the reins of the Tonight Show was so significant its just shameful. If I were Conan, I don't know if I could take the demotion. But he's always been a humble guy.

Whether you prefer Conan or Leno, I hope you see the shadiness of these moves.

Thoughts?

Well, NBC was amazingly shady in giving The Tonight Show to Leno in the first place. Letterman was in place to follow Carson as the host (as Carson wanted) and Leno and his agent forced NBC's hand in ousting Carson earlier than he wanted and screwing over Letterman. This is all covered in the book "The Late Shift" by Bill Carter which is quite good (and was made into an ok TV movie on HBO) I can't stand Leno and like Conan so you know where my taste lies but yes, they have been incredibely shady in their handling of the whole Leno/Tonight Show going back years and years.

At least they have given Parks and Recreation a chance to have an amazing second season and renewed Chuck for a third...

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:46:06 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
Conan should leave NBC. They don't deserve to have him.
It really does make me sick. Yeah, he's not the classic tonight show host. But that's what makes him so great.

And they couldn't possibly have expected him to master the Tonight Show in his first year. Its just not fair.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
I'm sort of waiting for David Letterman to intervene, and reach out to Conan, I mean i'm sure its like deja vu for him.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They haven't really gotten behind Conan's Tonight show.

As far as I have seen, they haven't given him the ad spots like they did for Leno.  They are still giving those slots to get people to watch the Leno show.

The Leno show has been killed in the ratings, which in turn has killed many of the 11 o'clock news on NBC and then, kills Conan.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
They haven't really gotten behind Conan's Tonight show.

As far as I have seen, they haven't given him the ad spots like they did for Leno.  They are still giving those slots to get people to watch the Leno show.

The Leno show has been killed in the ratings, which in turn has killed many of the 11 o'clock news on NBC and then, kills Conan.
They haven't let Conan be Conan. I'd love to see him back in New York, where he was much more natural. It's a shame though, Conan's a great guy, atleast from what i've seen in interviews and whatnot.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I like Conan over Leno, but if his contract allows this, I can't feel too badly for him.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
This also beg's the question, what is Jay Leno going to be able to do in half an hour, that will improve his ratings what so ever? This whole thing just makes no sense.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 09:11:38 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Conan is popular with the college crowd. Like Letterman in the 80s. The Tonight Show historically is for the over forty crowd. Conan may want to look else where. May ABC or FOX will want to get back into the game.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
If this is true, I hope it backfires on NBC. Its basically ageism. Leno and his senior citizens cult followers can go to bravo.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 09:31:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hate both guys. I'm a Letterman man myself.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 09:41:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I like Conan over Leno, but if his contract allows this, I can't feel too badly for him.

Ditto. This is a problem between millionaires.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think the only bright spot here is maybe it means NBC will return to making good TV shows instead of taking up a time slot with a garbage talk show (see Life).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
jay leno is a tool...