Author Topic: Zach Lowe on Jaylen Brown and the Celtic's Offense  (Read 15096 times)

Re: Zach Lowe on Jaylen Brown and the Celtic's Offense
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2018, 10:45:55 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Can we all just agree that Jaylen Brown has improved considerably from last year, is athletically gifted, but is inconsistent in terms of his assertiveness, and really struggles at the foul line, which probably negatively impacts his decision making.

Peace.

« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Can we all just agree that Jaylen Brown has improved considerably from last year, is athletically gifted, but is inconsistent in terms of his assertiveness, and really struggles at the foul line, which probably negatively impacts his decision making.

Peace.

I'm not sure about the last line. You think his free throw shooting has impacted his decisions? I don't agree with that.

I think that Jaylen is confident. I'm not worried about his self-esteem or FT shooting. Esp. at 21 yo.

« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
How did this become an argument about Jeff Green and Jaylen Brown?

When Jeff Green was 21, he was a very promising prospect.  Brown at 21 is an even more promising prospect.  Promise doesn't always translate and it may not for Brown but I am very high on Jaylen Brown.  Green had length that Brown doesn't have but Brown has an edge in everything else that I can think of including intangible things like competitiveness.  There is never an exact comparison or any way to know how a player will play in the future but I feel Reggie Lewis may be a more apt comp for Brown than Jeff Green (other than the fact that both last names are colors).

That isn't saying Brown and Lewis are the same as Lewis was more of a scorer than a shooter (Lewis played center in college) but I feel that Brown is going to improve and find a lot more ways to score as he develops and could ultimately impact the game as much as Lewis did.

Ya we lost track of original argument a bit here. The thing that set it off was the claim that we have a Jeff green 2.0 on our hands with Jaylen brown, in terms of consistency. That claim is of course silly because Jaylen is 21 and by nature young guys are inconsistent. Then it became about whether the two are comparable statically, which they are but that's also meaningless because its by no means predictive of what he will be in the future. Really this entire thread is a monument to the dangers of player comparisons.

« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2018, 12:35:09 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
How did this become an argument about Jeff Green and Jaylen Brown?

When Jeff Green was 21, he was a very promising prospect.  Brown at 21 is an even more promising prospect.  Promise doesn't always translate and it may not for Brown but I am very high on Jaylen Brown.  Green had length that Brown doesn't have but Brown has an edge in everything else that I can think of including intangible things like competitiveness.  There is never an exact comparison or any way to know how a player will play in the future but I feel Reggie Lewis may be a more apt comp for Brown than Jeff Green (other than the fact that both last names are colors).

That isn't saying Brown and Lewis are the same as Lewis was more of a scorer than a shooter (Lewis played center in college) but I feel that Brown is going to improve and find a lot more ways to score as he develops and could ultimately impact the game as much as Lewis did.

Ya we lost track of original argument a bit here. The thing that set it off was the claim that we have a Jeff green 2.0 on our hands with Jaylen brown, in terms of consistency. That claim is of course silly because Jaylen is 21 and by nature young guys are inconsistent. Then it became about whether the two are comparable statically, which they are but that's also meaningless because its by no means predictive of what he will be in the future. Really this entire thread is a monument to the dangers of player comparisons.

I logged in just to say 'yep'