Author Topic: Summer 2018 Rumored Moves  (Read 53068 times)

Re: Summer 2018 Rumored Moves
« Reply #420 on: August 27, 2018, 07:46:47 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
>Sixers looking at new GM targets, but may keep interim structure> by Wojnarowski

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24492287/philadelphia-76ers-expanding-gm-search-not-hire-one

hmm that doesn't seem wise to me. They didn't get close with Lebron, Leonard or George and had their biggest free agent signing (Bejlica) renege on his deal. I wonder if they would have had a better summer with a top flight gm.

Yeah, they totally wiffed this summer , a legit GM would have certainly helped. Maybe they are buying into all the hype about their team for this season and think they can save money by holding off on hiring a new GM for a while.

I wouldn't wait too long. The Sixers are in really good shape, but they still have a ton of question marks. 

1) Can Embiid play 70+ games a year?
2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?
4) Is Saric a starter? We've seen a ton of flash, but is he consistent?

I wouldn't let this volatile team go unmanaged for too long. I think that Brett Brown has a lot of say at this point. I'm not sure about his GM capabilities.

I agree. If they had a very good GM he would already be planning on cashing in some of those prospects he deems limited for all-star caliber vet help before the rest of the league sours on some of those prospects like what happened with Okafor and Noel.
You do realize the souring on Okafor and Noel occurred on Colangelo's (a supposedly good GM) watch.  Who are these prospects that they should be cashing in on?  Who are these all-star caliber vets that are available for them to get?

I never called Colangelo a good GM. They missed their chances to sell high on both of those guys imo. Even a large percentage of the people on here were clamoring for the Celtics to trade legit assets for one of those guys not too long ago.

If they were more aggressive in moving some of their prospects they could have had Kawhi. They still could have Butler. Those are just two examples. They also should have signed IT.

I am excited to be pulling for IT again. I wish him well in his new role with DEN, and hope he has the opportunity score 20ppg again. If he does, another team will end paying him.

« Reply #421 on: August 27, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
>Sixers looking at new GM targets, but may keep interim structure> by Wojnarowski

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24492287/philadelphia-76ers-expanding-gm-search-not-hire-one

hmm that doesn't seem wise to me. They didn't get close with Lebron, Leonard or George and had their biggest free agent signing (Bejlica) renege on his deal. I wonder if they would have had a better summer with a top flight gm.

Yeah, they totally wiffed this summer , a legit GM would have certainly helped. Maybe they are buying into all the hype about their team for this season and think they can save money by holding off on hiring a new GM for a while.

I wouldn't wait too long. The Sixers are in really good shape, but they still have a ton of question marks. 

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

I wouldn't let this volatile team go unmanaged for too long. I think that Brett Brown has a lot of say at this point. I'm not sure about his GM capabilities.

I agree. If they had a very good GM he would already be planning on cashing in some of those prospects he deems limited for all-star caliber vet help before the rest of the league sours on some of those prospects like what happened with Okafor and Noel.
You do realize the souring on Okafor and Noel occurred on Colangelo's (a supposedly good GM) watch.  Who are these prospects that they should be cashing in on?  Who are these all-star caliber vets that are available for them to get?

I never called Colangelo a good GM. They missed their chances to sell high on both of those guys imo. Even a large percentage of the people on here were clamoring for the Celtics to trade legit assets for one of those guys not too long ago.

If they were more aggressive in moving some of their prospects they could have had Kawhi. They still could have Butler. Those are just two examples. They also should have signed IT.
The Spurs traded Kawhi for Derozan, an established star.  The only way the Sixers could have gotten Kawhi was to offer Embiid or Simmons which would have been grade A stupid.  The Sixers never had Butler.  He played for the Bulls.  I thought about them going after IT but I don't think it would have been a good fit.  They want Simmons and hopefully Fultz running their offense.  Also IT is going to be focused getting a Brinks wagon since no team is going to give him a Brinks truck.   

« Reply #422 on: August 27, 2018, 10:57:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

The Spurs traded Kawhi for Derozan, an established star.  The only way the Sixers could have gotten Kawhi was to offer Embiid or Simmons which would have been grade A stupid.  The Sixers never had Butler.  He played for the Bulls.  I thought about them going after IT but I don't think it would have been a good fit.  They want Simmons and hopefully Fultz running their offense.  Also IT is going to be focused getting a Brinks wagon since no team is going to give him a Brinks truck.

If they were willing to give up both Saric and Fultz they could have very likely had Kawhi.

Bulter wants out of Minny, the Sixers have the pieces to trade for him if they want to.

They need a vet point guard who can score to compliment Simmons. IT would have been a great fit.

« Reply #423 on: August 28, 2018, 07:20:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

If they were willing to give up both Saric and Fultz they could have very likely had Kawhi.

Bulter wants out of Minny, the Sixers have the pieces to trade for him if they want to.

They need a vet point guard who can score to compliment Simmons. IT would have been a great fit.
Um...IMO, no, and no on those 2 points.

Fultz is probably a better prospect than Poeltl, but Saric isn't close to Derozan.  SA would have turned that down.

The last thing the sixers need is to take the ball out of Simmons' hands.  The better approach is for Simmons to develop a decent jumpshot.

« Reply #424 on: August 28, 2018, 07:54:19 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

Dario and Fultz clearly was definitely not getting Kawhi.  Also, Kawhi only has 1 year on his contract so the Sixers may have a shot to get him next offseason without giving up anything. 

Butler wanting out of Minny is just a rumor.  Minny hasn't put him on the trade block and I doubt they will.  Also, Butler only has 1 year on his contract so the Sixers may have a shot to get him next offseason without giving up anything.

The more I think about it Simmons and IT is just a lousy fit.  IT has to have the ball in his hands or his defensive liability keeps him off the court. 

« Reply #425 on: August 28, 2018, 10:23:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The more I think about it Simmons and IT is just a lousy fit.  IT has to have the ball in his hands or his defensive liability keeps him off the court.
Were you really thinking about it, or did you read my post just above yours?   ;D    ;D   ;D

« Reply #426 on: August 28, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I doubt it.  George decided to re-sign with OKC before free agency started.  He didn't even give the Lakers a chance and they were the team George was supposed destined for.  The Spurs traded Leonard for an established all-start.  They didn't young talent/picks whether it was from the Sixers or the Lakers.  There was no decision for Lebron this time.  He clearly was going to the Lakers unless they screwed the pooch.  As for Bjelica, he reneged on a 1 year/4.5M contract for a 3 year/20.5M contract (2 years guaranteed). 

Tell me how a top flight GM, even Danny, could have or should have done anything different in any of those situations.  What the Sixers did do when they couldn't get any of their top targets was only sign 1 year contracts and make trades that allowed them to maintain their cap space for 2019. 

There's no reason for the Sixers to rush their GM search.  It is much more important to find the right person who will fit into their approach and be able to work well with the people they have in place including coach Brown.

I would have bet a 1000 dollars there would be a post from you within 24 hours explaining why everything was fine with the 76ers. Its pretty comedic at this point.
In my opinion, a realistic take on 76ers

Positives of summer: Embiid, Simmons healthy
Fultz back to playing basketball
Landed future first round pick on draft day
Resigned Reddick
Acquired Wilson chandler who gives them some wing versatility

Negatives
Struck out on their star hunting despite having second best odds to get George, Lebron entering the summer
Lost bench depth in Illy and Bellinelli that they know fit in their system and liked playing there
First round pick injured and may miss large part of season, developmental time
Could have used more shooting (Bjelica would have helped, Chandler pretty average shooter)

I will also add that it is really moving the goalposts to act like there were not tons of people thought the 76ers had a great chance of getting Lebron and others entering the offseason

https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/6/4/17427100/how-likely-are-the-sixers-to-sign-lebron-james
https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/5/10/17341480/sixers-with-3rd-highest-odds-as-destination-for-paul-george
https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/7/9/17548650/kawhi-only-wants-to-play-for-one-easten-conference-team

As a Celtics fan, you should be happy they didn't get this guys. It is a great relief for them staying a tier below us. Why is it so difficult for you to be happy about it and admit it was bad for them?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 12:45:58 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #427 on: August 28, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

I think this is pretty fair speculation. Everything I read indicated they refused to trade Fultz. I think if they included him they could have gotten it done.

« Reply #428 on: August 28, 2018, 01:17:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

I think this is pretty fair speculation. Everything I read indicated they refused to trade Fultz. I think if they included him they could have gotten it done.
I'm glad you seem to have come around on that line of thinking.  Covington, Saric, and Fultz (and maybe a 1st or two - their own) and that probably gets it done over the Raptors offer, though Toronto could have sweetened their offer a great deal with other young players.  The fact that Philly wouldn't give up Fultz, Boston wouldn't give up Brown, and the Lakers wouldn't give up Ingram & Kuzma, pretty much handed Leonard to the Raptors.  And Leonard by all accounts is looking like a monster thus far in work outs.  If Leonard is in peak form, the Raptors are going to be a scary team for the Celtics and are going to be a real threat to come out of the East.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #429 on: August 28, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

I'm glad you seem to have come around on that line of thinking.  Covington, Saric, and Fultz (and maybe a 1st or two - their own) and that probably gets it done over the Raptors offer, though Toronto could have sweetened their offer a great deal with other young players.  The fact that Philly wouldn't give up Fultz, Boston wouldn't give up Brown, and the Lakers wouldn't give up Ingram & Kuzma, pretty much handed Leonard to the Raptors.  And Leonard by all accounts is looking like a monster thus far in work outs.  If Leonard is in peak form, the Raptors are going to be a scary team for the Celtics and are going to be a real threat to come out of the East.

Was it a mistake for Philly to not make that deal?

« Reply #430 on: August 28, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

I don't see the high end upside in Saric, but if SA still employs Chip Englund as shooting coach, I think there's a really good chance SA could've made Philly look really, really bad in that trade. 

If Kawhi were to leave Philly (seems likely at this point) and Englund- probably the best shooting coach in the 25 years I've been watching basketball- is there to work with Fultz, San Antonio could grab a guy who ends up being an All-NBA player in exchange for a 1 year rental.  Besides the shot, Fultz looked solid last year.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:19:53 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #431 on: August 28, 2018, 04:15:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't see the high end upside in Saric, but if SA still employs Chip Englund as shooting coach, I think there's a really good chance SA could've made Philly look really, really bad in that trade. 

If Kawhi were to leave Philly (seems likely at this point) and Englund- probably the best shooting coach in the 25 years I've been watching basketball- is there to work with Fultz, San Antonio could grab a guy who ends up being an All-NBA player in exchange for a 1 year rental.  Besides the shot, Fultz looked solid last year.

I think it should be noted that SAS did in fact receive a current All-NBA player (each of the last two seasons) in the middle of his prime for a 1-year rental. While a bit older, DeRozan (along with Poetl) is a very good return and certainly more of a guarantee than Fultz would have been - especially with Pop looking to compete now.

« Reply #432 on: August 28, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

I think so because I think Leonard staying in Philly was a real possibility and see no real way he ends up there now.  Now maybe if they back channel strongly believe someone like Klay Thompson signs with them, then maybe you keep your guys and wait a summer, but Philly could certainly end up losing out on a potential MVP in his prime because it wanted to keep its at best 3rd, 4th, and 5th best players (at best).  And let's be clear, I absolutely think that Philly with Embiid, Johnson, Leonard, Fultz, Simmons with Redick, McConnell, Smith, etc. would have been the best team in the east (or at least would be favored).  YOu have to take that shot if you are the Sixers.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #433 on: August 28, 2018, 07:59:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Were you really thinking about it, or did you read my post just above yours?   ;D    ;D   ;D
Nope.  I was thinking about my previous post where I said IT wasn't a good fit with Simmons and decided that wasn't strong enough. 

« Reply #434 on: August 28, 2018, 08:25:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

2) Can Simmons shoot?
3) Can Fultz shoot?

I think so because I think Leonard staying in Philly was a real possibility and see no real way he ends up there now.  Now maybe if they back channel strongly believe someone like Klay Thompson signs with them, then maybe you keep your guys and wait a summer, but Philly could certainly end up losing out on a potential MVP in his prime because it wanted to keep its at best 3rd, 4th, and 5th best players (at best).  And let's be clear, I absolutely think that Philly with Embiid, Johnson, Leonard, Fultz, Simmons with Redick, McConnell, Smith, etc. would have been the best team in the east (or at least would be favored).  YOu have to take that shot if you are the Sixers.

What do you think happens to them if they never get their free agent star? I thought this summer was their best shot because Leonard, Lebron and George were 3 great players that seemed like they could change teams. If golden state blows it up, who is the best player that will change teams
Next year?