Author Topic: My philosophy of travel  (Read 8453 times)

Re: My philosophy of travel
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 09:06:03 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
UAE has Palm trees and was colonised by the British...but if you get a chance you should visit that country. Dubai and Abu Dhabi in particular.

I was not a big fan of Dubai at all. There are some cool things there but overall I wouldn't recommend it to anyone (almost anyone)

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Samuel Johnson, the 18th-century English writer, had it down.  He hated leaving London, but he was prevailed upon by Boswell to make a trip to the Hebrides, and each wrote a kind of best-seller about the trip.  Boswell--who loved the spotlight--then started pestering Johnson to go on another trip with him, intending to write another book.

In particular, Boswell wanted to visit Ireland, and started touting its many sights to the reluctant Johnson.  Among other wonders, Boswell touted the Giants' Steps, an unusual  geologic formation in western Ireland.  One evening, ever campaigning to get Johnson to visit Ireland, Boswell asked Johnson if he did not think the Giants' Steps were worth seeing.  Johnson replied: "Worth seeing, yes; but not worth going to see."  LOL 

That is my watchword regarding travel: "Worth seeing, yes; but not worth going to see."

My travel guru is also Emmanuel Kant, who never ventured more than 15 miles from the place of his birth.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:06 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
A combination of history, scenery, and luxury (if possible).

Or...just a place to relax and feel like I'm away for a while.  Living on Cape Cod this can sometimes mean just going a few towns away - which is nice.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I am the opposite of most people.  I want to see almost no culture, nor do I want to have any side trips. 
So I mostly visit resorts in Mexico.  They are cheap, luxurious, and very relaxing.  My whole purpose of travel is to relax. 

We often go with friends that take side trips and enjoy some of the culture. 

The only downside I see to my strategy is that I'm a bit of a foodie and I like food that is a bit different.  That is not easily had at all inclusive resorts in Mexico.  Though their guacamole and ceviche is always top notch.

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 12:42:09 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I haven't traveled too much.  I did live in Central America for 2 and a half months though.  I highly recommend the black sand beaches in a small town near La Libertad (El Salvador) for surfing and also a hike through Semuc Champey in Guatemala.  Also, I've heard absolutely rave reviews about the well known scuba diving off the islands of Honduras, Utila specifically.

Guatemala City and San Salvador are cities to be extremely wary of staying in.

The tourist city La Antigua, Guatemala has to be one of the most beautiful cities I could have imagined though.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I try not to ever apply rules to my travel since I find it far more enjoyable to just go and see what happens.  I truly think you can go anywhere and have lots of fun as long as you are respectful of people and pay attention to your surroundings.

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
UAE has Palm trees and was colonised by the British...but if you get a chance you should visit that country. Dubai and Abu Dhabi in particular.

I was not a big fan of Dubai at all. There are some cool things there but overall I wouldn't recommend it to anyone (almost anyone)

I spent 10 years in that country (my parents still live there...dad is an engineer working for a national oil company)...and I really enjoyed my time there. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are probably the two most tolerant and open-minded cities in the middle east. The number of tourists visiting that country is increasing every year...so, they must be doing something right. :)
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi