Author Topic: Shams and Woj Bomb both reporting Kawhi to Raptors for Demar all but done deal.  (Read 27750 times)

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Thank God we did not trade for this guy !!!!!!!!!!

Once in awhile, I am led to believe that Danny really does have some common sense.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Poor DDR, now he has a chance to choke and be eliminated by Lebron again.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
He and other sports players should be grateful to play for any team for millions of dollars..there are millions of ppl who are starving and homeless on this Earth...i lose all respect for any athletes who complain bout what team they playing for
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He and other sports players should be grateful to play for any team for millions of dollars..there are millions of ppl who are starving and homeless on this Earth...i lose all respect for any athletes who complain bout what team they playing for

If you make a lot of money you're not allowed care where you live?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Of course, you're allowed to talk about whatever you want. At the same time, you risk the scrutiny of the masses if what you're saying sounds tone-deaf.

Toronto is a major international city, and despite the weather, its a nice place to be. Kawhi can say whatever he wants about Toronto.

Kind of reminds me of when Phil Mickelson complained that he might have to leave the US b/c he pays too much in tax. The average person won't sympathize with such a complaint. We simply don't care about Kawhi's plight while getting paid tens of millions to play in Toronto for a year.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Basically. And this isn’t a ‘lot’ of money, this is money beyond anybody’s wildest dreams. He can get a private jet and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc homes and go whenever he wants.

Of course you can have a preference for where you want to be and make that decision when the time comes. You can even let a team know that you definitely won’t re-sign with them so they can obtain assets for you (this is actually preferred), but nobody is going to feel bad for you if you aren’t living in LA. If NBA players had similar contracts to NFL players, it would be a whole different story.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Sporting News reporting he may sit than play for Toronto (i dont believe he will)...but if he does, Silver should suspend him for 2 years
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
http://twitter.com/MyNBAUpdate/status/1019627319550361600

Ouch.

What's it say?

Kawhi might sit out another year. "No interest" in Raps..

That's a breach of contract. Raptors and/or the league should take legal action. This is getting a bit out of control, players can't just refuse to play and still get paid.
No need to sue, every missed practice/game carries a fine. His whole salary would be forfeit quickly.

I would sue for foregone revenue. Bankrupt the quitter.
That's unlikely to occur and also probably not a suit they could win. Not to mention might be prohibited by the CBA.

If you violate a contract you signed. and I mean this is bizarro NBA universe, if he is healthy and chose to sit out, I would sue him for foregone revenues. A company that operates hotels in places where fires effect revenue, takes out insurance policies on that revenue and receives some of that back. If he sat out while being healthy, I would gladly sue him for that. I would be surprised if there's any mention of that in the CBA as when has a player in the history of the game legitimately sat out because he is petty for a half season.

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
http://twitter.com/MyNBAUpdate/status/1019627319550361600

Ouch.
Would
What's it say?

Kawhi might sit out another year. "No interest" in Raps..

That's a breach of contract. Raptors and/or the league should take legal action. This is getting a bit out of control, players can't just refuse to play and still get paid.
he can fake injury. No legal action can ever prove he isn’t hurt

Yeah it s not like you could get 3 independent doctors to come to independent conclusions or anything. /sarcasm

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Basically. And this isn’t a ‘lot’ of money, this is money beyond anybody’s wildest dreams. He can get a private jet and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc homes and go whenever he wants.

Of course you can have a preference for where you want to be and make that decision when the time comes. You can even let a team know that you definitely won’t re-sign with them so they can obtain assets for you (this is actually preferred), but nobody is going to feel bad for you if you aren’t living in LA. If NBA players had similar contracts to NFL players, it would be a whole different story.

I'm not saying anyone should feel bad for Kawhi (Kawhi, especially) but I don't agree with the mentality that "athletes should never complain  because they make a lot of money." You can be grateful and hard working and still not like your circumstances. I don't see a problem with voicing that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I'm not saying anyone should feel bad for Kawhi (Kawhi, especially) but I don't agree with the mentality that "athletes should never complain  because they make a lot of money." You can be grateful and hard working and still not like your circumstances. I don't see a problem with voicing that.

Demar sounds entitled

The bottom line is he "quit" on the Raptors in the playoffs and Raptors quit on him.  They also quit on the coach (who won the coach of the year award)

Raptors want to win a championship and the way things are and have been for 5 seasons....can you blame the team?

Demar outside of wanting to win a championship, also wanted to stay with one team and be an icon in Toronto after his career ended.   Toronto Raptors didn't care about this

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sporting News reporting he may sit than play for Toronto (i dont believe he will)...but if he does, Silver should suspend him for 2 years

He won't do it... unless he wants to end his nba career

Owners also have relationships/brotherhood

a player wanting out is probably the highest threshold to not boycott the player from playing in the league (though for rookies it seems like a different story)

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I hope everyone sits out this season.  Every player in the league.  Players need to show a greater degree of entitlement imo.  Franchises should reinforce it.  And fans should overlook it.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The idea that no legal or arbitration proceeding can "ever" conclude a player is able to healthy or not is bizarre.

Getting worked up over "sporting news" report that isn't sourced compared to MULTIPLE credible outlets and reporters saying he will play is wild to me. He might not report for the physical but once preseason starts he will be fined heavily for each practice/game missed. So he'll be there by preseason.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If Kawhi really wanted to play for the Lakers, he could have forced his way there this summer.

I doubt he ends up there in 12 months time.
I'm skeptical this is true because of his agent/uncle situation. Not exactly an experienced NBA group he's working with.