Author Topic: Shams and Woj Bomb both reporting Kawhi to Raptors for Demar all but done deal.  (Read 28093 times)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
how would you prove his quad injury isn’t 100% healed and he isn’t feeling a pinch in the quad?
You take him to arbitration and have a third independent doctor weigh in as well as your own expert testimony.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
http://twitter.com/MyNBAUpdate/status/1019627319550361600

Ouch.
how would you prob
Would
What's it say?

Kawhi might sit out another year. "No interest" in Raps..

That's a breach of contract. Raptors and/or the league should take legal action. This is getting a bit out of control, players can't just refuse to play and still get paid.
he can fake injury. No legal action can ever prove he isn’t hurt
Uh as someone who works for an insurance company, there are lots of legal examples to the contrary.
how would you prove his quad injury isn’t 100% healed and he isn’t feeling a pinch in the quad?

The legal standard for proof isn’t 100% for these things.  The CBA has a procedure that a third-party doctor examines him.  He can’t just say “I’m hurt.”

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Ouch.
how would you prob
Would
What's it say?

That's a breach of contract. Raptors and/or the league should take legal action. This is getting a bit out of control, players can't just refuse to play and still get paid.
Uh as someone who works for an insurance company, there are lots of legal examples to the contrary.
I imagine common sense has to prevail at some point?

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Ouch.
how would you prob
Would
What's it say?

First of all, leaving fines aside for a sec, he would hurt his own value enormously.

Secondly, I expect the burden of proof to swing from medical team proving he is not injured, to Leonard proving he is injured.

Unlike Fafnir, I have no clue about the legal details, but you would expect the NBA to have lots of aces up its sleeve to protect its product.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Well, there's definitely going to be a challenge for us in Toronto.

People keep dumping on the East, but to me, Toronto, Boston, Philly, Indiana, Milwaukee stack up pretty well against GSW, Houston, OK City, LA, Utah. Golden State is a cut above until somebody beats them, but does anybody think Houston vs. Toronto or Boston is a walkover? OKC vs. Philly or Indiana? I don't.

Totally agree. I never got the argument that the WC is better than the EC just because it attracts more stars.

exactly. once upon a time yes

but not now

GSW
Celtics
76ers/Rockets

That’s a bit high for the Sixers. We practically swept them without Kyrie and Hayward, and if anything, they got worse this offseason.

How did they get worst? Everybody is back

They also got a nice prospect with 10th pick

They actually lost two key bench players (Illyasova and Bellinelli) who did help them in the regular season. Then their replacement for Illyasova reneged on a deal for them and went over to europe. Their rookie is a very nice prospect that could be awesome, but is also very raw and not expected to play a ton this year. So they could be a bit worse than last year, but maybe the same cause of growth from simmons and fultz. However, to put them in the same category as houston is absolutely ridiculous. Houston has twice as good title odds as the 76ers despite having to get through the warriors just to reach the finals.

I really thought after striking out on george, Lebron and Leonard the philly crazy stuff would settle down a bit on this board, but I was sadly mistaken.
Houston has not had a good summer. They were able to compete against GS so well because their defense was fantastic. They lost core defenders Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute, and are considering filling that hole with Carmelo Anthony. Chris Paul and Nene got another year past their prime.

They will not have as good a team next year.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Ouch.
how would you prob
Would
What's it say?

The legal standard for proof isn’t 100% for these things.  The CBA has a procedure that a third-party doctor examines him.  He can’t just say “I’m hurt.”

he could fake it still at the end of the day.  walk with a limp

And if he sits out again...  nobody is going to believe him again/not be trustworthy

The best thing Leonard can do (if he really wants out of Toronto) is keep to himself, play hard .... during the season don't engage in extension talks.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Kawhi forces a re-trade to the Lakers, Silver should block it.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
As long as Leonard doesn't go directly to the Lakers or Warriors, I'm ok with him moving.  I'm not sure how he's going to fit in with Toronto.  And I doubt he's going to stick around after 1 year there.  On paper Toronto improves for this year, but is it enough?

A healthy Leonard is dangerous

If Raptors had him last season (healthy),  he would have slowed down Lebron (possibly shut him down)

Possibly a different outcome

That’s because that Cavs team was trash sans LeBron. So yeah, with Kawhi they probably beat them.

But who is he going to shut down on Boston? Tatum? Ok, time for Kyrie, Hayward, and Brown to light them up.

I personally am not entirely confident that Kawhi will be as successful anywhere as he was under Pop. He was in a more perfect scenario than he thought.
CELTICS 2024

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
i agree..chris paul deal was voided
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

For completely different reasons. There would be no reason for Silver to do so.

Players are getting more and more power in the NBA. Fans can't cite Stern's veto every time a player tries to exert his power.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Windhorst saying that the Raptors know that Leonard might not show up to the physical and that they actually consider waiving it. (wheres the popcorn emoji when you need it)

https://streamable.com/neflu

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Well, there's definitely going to be a challenge for us in Toronto.

People keep dumping on the East, but to me, Toronto, Boston, Philly, Indiana, Milwaukee stack up pretty well against GSW, Houston, OK City, LA, Utah. Golden State is a cut above until somebody beats them, but does anybody think Houston vs. Toronto or Boston is a walkover? OKC vs. Philly or Indiana? I don't.

Totally agree. I never got the argument that the WC is better than the EC just because it attracts more stars.

exactly. once upon a time yes

but not now

GSW
Celtics
76ers/Rockets

That’s a bit high for the Sixers. We practically swept them without Kyrie and Hayward, and if anything, they got worse this offseason.

How did they get worst? Everybody is back

They also got a nice prospect with 10th pick

They actually lost two key bench players (Illyasova and Bellinelli) who did help them in the regular season. Then their replacement for Illyasova reneged on a deal for them and went over to europe. Their rookie is a very nice prospect that could be awesome, but is also very raw and not expected to play a ton this year. So they could be a bit worse than last year, but maybe the same cause of growth from simmons and fultz. However, to put them in the same category as houston is absolutely ridiculous. Houston has twice as good title odds as the 76ers despite having to get through the warriors just to reach the finals.

I really thought after striking out on george, Lebron and Leonard the philly crazy stuff would settle down a bit on this board, but I was sadly mistaken.
Houston has not had a good summer. They were able to compete against GS so well because their defense was fantastic. They lost core defenders Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute, and are considering filling that hole with Carmelo Anthony. Chris Paul and Nene got another year past their prime.

They will not have as good a team next year.

Houston won 12 more games than philly last year. They both lost some good not great players. I don't think that is enough to close the gap, and vegas does not think so either.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

For completely different reasons. There would be no reason for Silver to do so.

Players are getting more and more power in the NBA. Fans can't cite Stern's veto every time a player tries to exert his power.
Yeah, can people stop bringing up the Chris Paul trade.  The NBA could nix the proposed trade because they technically owned the team at that time.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Blake Griffin apparently enjoying the Leonard drama. He just tweeted a gif of himself sipping tea.

https://twitter.com/blakegriffin23/status/1019642046464704512

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Blake Griffin apparently enjoying the Leonard drama. He just tweeted a gif of himself sipping tea.

https://twitter.com/blakegriffin23/status/1019642046464704512

Probably sympathetic with DeRozan. He too thought he would retire as one of the greatest players for the team that drafted him.