Author Topic: Jackson released  (Read 9294 times)

Re: Jackson released
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Is Danny being a cheapazz or does he have no choice really?

Jackson is not great but is a decent depth player .... . SL celts have looked better when Jackson has played regardless of his production

If Ainge needs the money to lock up Semi , fine

but if he could have kept both...then why cut Jackson.

If Jackson is your depth, you are in major trouble. How do you get he is a decent depth player? Based on what exactly?

The team lacks PG depth

IT4 becomes injured,  Rozier becomes injured etc. 

Its no joke how much mid depth this team has right now ....  why not try to sign Semi to a two way deal?

Or sign him to a cheaper deal vs near 1st round money....   

Nader, Semi would have probably taken a 800 k a year deal, but instead you need to pay double that?

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
So at this point, we should start assuming Semi is about to get a 4 year deal based on the above.

https://twitter.com/bostonsports_15/status/886307312012591105
So I guess the deal is "semi"- guaranteed. Haha.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Jackson is not great but is a decent depth player .... . SL celts have looked better when Jackson has played regardless of his production

If Jackson is your depth, you are in major trouble. How do you get he is a decent depth player? Based on what exactly?

The team lacks PG depth

Its no joke how much mid depth this team has right now ....  why not try to sign Semi to a two way deal?

Nader, Semi would have probably taken a 800 k a year deal, but instead you need to pay double that?

The team has three point guards on the 15-man roster. That's standard. They'll carry a fourth on a two-way deal in the event injuries strike, and in the unlikely event that Boston should need five point guards to field a team then you've probably got enough players injured that you've been granted an injury exception to bring someone in on a vet minimum deal. They're fine.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The team lacks PG depth

Most teams keep 3 PGs. Thats all the depth you need. Not only that but Gordon can also bring the ball up and initiate the offense. Heck, the offense is probably going to run through Horford to maximize the chanes of space opening up for IT and Gordon.

The Cs decided Jackson wasn't needed and/or that he wasn't as good as the rookies Ainge is bringing in this year. Its a good move.

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 04:34:32 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
So after Jackson's release, that leaves 3 ball handlers on the roster: IT, Rozier, Smart.

Kind of thin, no? Especially, with IT's hip still questionable. Unless this is a sign IT is on his way to being 100% healthy.

They have 3 pgs on the team, which is normal. Hayward can also handle the ball.

I'm more concerned about rebounding/interior defense than I am ballhandling.

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Yes, we may be thin regarding ballhandlers. We don't know how long will Isaiah be out, we don't want to rush him once he is recovered, we lost Avery who could be an insurance PG and now we are waiving Jackson.

We are one injury away (Rozier or Smart) from beginning the season with a ballhandler in the entire roster. And no, Hayward or Jaylen aren't ballhandlers; they are wings. The fact they have dribbling or handling abilities doesn't turn them into de-facto PGs.

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

The team lacks PG depth

The team has three point guards on the 15-man roster. That's standard. They'll carry a fourth on a two-way deal in the event injuries strike, and in the unlikely event that Boston should need five point guards to field a team then you've probably got enough players injured that you've been granted an injury exception to bring someone in on a vet minimum deal. They're fine.
I wonder if that's Jabari Bird, based on his good SL play.

Have to say, I'm a but surprised because Demetrious was having a decent SL.  Was his height an issue?

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 04:50:47 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum

The team lacks PG depth

Have to say, I'm a but surprised because Demetrious was having a decent SL.  Was his height an issue?

My guess is that it's already been arranged that Allen and Jabari Bird will take two-way contracts this year - I'd be shocked if Ainge hadn't already put out feelers with the agents on who'd be willing to be stashed on a two-way when planning who to take with their two late second-rounders this year. The only complicating factor is if they'd rather carry one guard and one big for emergency call-up purposes instead of two guards, but with (in no order) Horford-Ziziz-Baynes-Theis-Yabsuele plus some wings who can put in time at the 4 they're probably fine there. Maybe one of Bird or Allen goes overseas and someone like Landen Lucas gets the last two-way deal, but I doubt it.

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The team lacks PG depth

Talent.

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 04:55:59 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

The team lacks PG depth

My guess is that it's already been arranged that Allen and Jabari Bird will take two-way contracts this year - I'd be shocked if Ainge hadn't already put out feelers with the agents on who'd be willing to be stashed on a two-way when planning who to take with their two late second-rounders this year. The only complicating factor is if they'd rather carry one guard and one big for emergency call-up purposes instead of two guards, but with (in no order) Horford-Ziziz-Baynes-Theis-Yabsuele plus some wings who can put in time at the 4 they're probably fine there. Maybe one of Bird or Allen goes overseas and someone like Landen Lucas gets the last two-way deal, but I doubt it.
I doubt it too.  Lucas and Roscoe Allen are "walk-on" players whereas the other 2 guys were drafted.  I agree it seems there plenty of front-court depth esp if Theis and Yabusele both make the team.  Theis seems like a certainty, but I suppose there's still a chance that Yabs stays overseas one more year.

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 05:03:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The team lacks PG depth

I doubt it too.  Lucas and Roscoe Allen are "walk-on" players whereas the other 2 guys were drafted.  I agree it seems there plenty of front-court depth esp if Theis and Yabusele both make the team.  Theis seems like a certainty, but I suppose there's still a chance that Yabs stays overseas one more year.

If Yabusele would've stayed overseas, there wouldn't be a need to stretch Jackson's contract (or waive if for that matter I'd think).

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 05:06:09 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum

The team lacks PG depth

If Yabusele would've stayed overseas, there wouldn't be a need to stretch Jackson's contract (or waive if for that matter I'd think).

True, but I'd rather get Yabusele in-house than have five point guards available between the 17 roster spots. It also sounds like Yabusele was under the impression he'd be in-house starting this year as well, and technically he's the one holding the cards here - Boston has to offer him his rookie-scale contract or renounce his rights, they can't force him to be stashed again.

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 05:16:24 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think 2-way contracts means you can only stay with the big club for 45 days, so a 2 way isn't going to help much if we need someone to play while someone is out with injuries. It says 45 days and not games so you would be wasting those days when they have to practice. I bet the guys that get those are going to because they plan on never using but will use the days to allow them to practice with the Celts (Bird type guys/I hope Rosco Allen-Waffles is one).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think 2-way contracts means you can only stay with the big club for 45 days, so a 2 way isn't going to help much if we need someone to play while someone is out with injuries. It says 45 days and not games so you would be wasting those days when they have to practice. I bet the guys that get those are going to because they plan on never using but will use the days to allow them to practice with the Celts (Bird type guys/I hope Rosco Allen-Waffles is one).

Honestly, Demetrius Jackson was not touching the floor for this team, with or without injuries.

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 05:20:41 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum

Do you really need a fourth-string point guard for more than a month and a half? Was Jackson really going to play meaningful minutes in more than 20 games?