Author Topic: WojBomb - Cavs evaluating options after IT physical...  (Read 127411 times)

Re: WojBomb - Cavs evaluating options after IT physical...
« Reply #225 on: August 26, 2017, 11:05:15 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Media as usual is ahead of the facts here.

I think Cavs view the Nets pick as primary piece in this deal. They know IT's hip isn't fully healed yet, and besides, he's a rental. Sure they want their doctors to examine him, like any other traded player--including Irving.

I don't think they make this deal if IT was the prime piece. He's a rental and coming off an injury. That's why Ainge sweetened the deal to include the Nets pick.

I think this is basically correct, but the other factor is that they're hoping to cobble together one more title run before LeBron skips town. The desirability of the deal is partly that they get to have it both ways - a good replacement PG for this year and a high pick for the rebuild.

Crowder works both ways too, as a contributing role player this year then a highly desirable contract that any contender could fit onto their payroll afterward.

All that said I think Isaiah would have to be in REALLY bad shape for them to give back the pick and take back Kyrie.

« Reply #226 on: August 26, 2017, 11:09:14 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62

I think Cavs view the Nets pick as primary piece in this deal. They know IT's hip isn't fully healed yet, and besides, he's a rental. Sure they want their doctors to examine him, like any other traded player--including Irving.

I don't think they make this deal if IT was the prime piece. He's a rental and coming off an injury. That's why Ainge sweetened the deal to include the Nets pick.

This is also what I think... it's just that Woj is one of the best NBA sources when it comes to credibility. If this were Broussard, this topic wouldn't even have  two threads

« Reply #227 on: August 26, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
All that said I think Isaiah would have to be in REALLY bad shape for them to give back the pick and take back Kyrie.

I think it's a Cavs ploy to extract more compensation, but assume it's not. Does Cleveland reengage with Phoenix and try to get Bledsoe, Bender, #1?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #228 on: August 26, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

I think this is basically correct, but the other factor is that they're hoping to cobble together one more title run before LeBron skips town. The desirability of the deal is partly that they get to have it both ways - a good replacement PG for this year and a high pick for the rebuild.

Crowder works both ways too, as a contributing role player this year then a highly desirable contract that any contender could fit onto their payroll afterward.

Exactly.  The Cavs were looking at making one last run.  If it worked out really well maybe Lebron stays.  If not, they jump started their rebuild.  If their medical evaluation is IT needs surgery now and will likely miss the season, that is a significantly different scenario. 

« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2017, 11:14:01 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn  3m3 minutes ago
More
 Sources: Cleveland's evaluation/conversation on status of Irving/Thomas deal have remained internal. So far, team hasn't re-engaged Boston.

I wonder if the Cavs are looking for a third team to get in on the deal. Some one that they can bundle up with Shumpert with. Both Bledsoe and Boogie have been linked. Bos would have to agree with sending the pick to one of those teams.

Makes sense for the Suns, they get a hurt player, a crappy player, which helps the tank, and a high pick.

It would be dumb if the Cavs backed out, they knew what they were getting into when the trade was accepted. Pretty much it was Irving for the NEts pick, and IT and Crowder were the matching salaries.

« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I cannot think of a better way for Lebron and the Cavs to weaken our team. Hey, lets make the trade with IT in it knowing full well hip is horrible. Now, after physical, lets ask for the sun and moon and stars in addition...lets say Tatum/or Brown plus the Lakers pick. If they say no, fine, here is IT and Crowder back with the pick, enjoy the bad blood and hurt feelings while we simply take the highest bid from other teams like the Suns. To me, it sounds like great poker playing by the Cavs front office.

« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2017, 11:14:49 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I think this is just Cs fans trying to comfort themselves. Isaiah was just as important to the deal as the nets pick. Cleveland were clear from the start they needed a win now piece for LeBron and a contingency in case he leaves.

Have no doubt about it, Cleveland will max out Isaiah if it means LeBron staying, they'll move a guy like Thompson to keep the tax burden to a minimum

« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2017, 11:17:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  The Cavs were looking at making one last run.

Which means they won't want Bender.

« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Woj and his ESPN clickbait.

Don't sweat guys everything will be fine. IT saw multiple doctors and conclusion was no surgery.

That doesn't suddenly change after a health check with Cavs lol.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2017, 11:24:41 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62

Don't sweat guys everything will be fine. IT saw multiple doctors and conclusion was no surgery.

Not exactly.... the decision was to check again in September.

« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2017, 11:30:38 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'm a bit confused... how can you trade for a known injured player and then void the trade due to said injury... Thomas' hip was not hidden from Cavs when decision was made.

TP.

This is the weird part for me as well.

They should have known coming in that Thomas is still dealing with a hip injury, yet they agreed to the deal anyway. Unless Ainge mislead them on IT4's medical reports, why are they all of a sudden going for a void for said injury?

My guess is that their staff thinks he needs surgery, which would basically put him out for the majority if not the entire season, and he was the centerpiece of the trade.

It's like if you agreed to buy a car that had some rear bumper damage from a fender bender. No big deal. But then you have the car inspected and it turns out there is damage to the rear axle, making it likely that major repairs will be needed before the car can be safely driven.

That is a very good analogy.  Some people buy used cars and drive them off the lot and everything is fine.  Other people do so and then there are major repairs needed immediately after purchase.

The requirement for the physical is like asking a mechanic to check out that used car prior to your purchase.

This isn't gamesmanship by Cleveland's rookie GM.  He is not using their team physical to draw more out of the Celtics.  They knew IT was hurt, but they didn't know how hurt until the looked under the hood.

Now - if Ainge always knew this was a possibility, then he better have a cheap way of correcting the situation.

« Reply #236 on: August 26, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

Wrong, it does change with a health check from the Cavs.  They are the receiver of IT and they have determined the value of their assets in this trade has decreased.

Sounds weird, but I am on the Cavs side in this.

« Reply #237 on: August 26, 2017, 11:34:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wonder if IT sabotaged the physical, he has said some harsh things about LeBron in the past.

« Reply #238 on: August 26, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
I wonder if IT sabotaged the physical, he has said some harsh things about LeBron in the past.

You can't sabotage an MRI, which is what I am guessing is at the center of this issue.

« Reply #239 on: August 26, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I cannot think of a better way for Lebron and the Cavs to weaken our team. Hey, lets make the trade with IT in it knowing full well hip is horrible. Now, after physical, lets ask for the sun and moon and stars in addition...lets say Tatum/or Brown plus the Lakers pick. If they say no, fine, here is IT and Crowder back with the pick, enjoy the bad blood and hurt feelings while we simply take the highest bid from other teams like the Suns. To me, it sounds like great poker playing by the Cavs front office.

That would be diabolically clever.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.