Author Topic: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband  (Read 20688 times)

Re: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.

I get that players need to maintain decorum but fans shouldn't get to abandon common decency just because they buy a ticket.
According to Westbrook and Patterson, they told Westbrook to, "Get on his knees like he used to." This can be construed a number of ways. More than few of those ways being bigoted.
he could have simply reported it to the security and moved on. Now we have westbrook on video threatening to kill people. Good job! Way to make the city of Oklahoma city proud!
I think Westbrook should be fined. Not a good reaction, regardless of the nature of the heckling.

I also think that if he's telling the truth, and I'm going to assume he is, then those fans should have been thrown out and are a bigger embarrassment than him.
what the fan said didn't sound racial at all

Just another race card incident.

So that I'm clear on this, you're responding to the suggestion that the fan said "Get on his knees like he used to". He's saying this to a black man in a country that used to have millions of black slaves literally on their knees. So I read that as a clear statement that he should go back to being a slave.

Am I missing something?

I took it as a homophobic comment myself, not racist. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.

I get that players need to maintain decorum but fans shouldn't get to abandon common decency just because they buy a ticket.
According to Westbrook and Patterson, they told Westbrook to, "Get on his knees like he used to." This can be construed a number of ways. More than few of those ways being bigoted.
he could have simply reported it to the security and moved on. Now we have westbrook on video threatening to kill people. Good job! Way to make the city of Oklahoma city proud!
I think Westbrook should be fined. Not a good reaction, regardless of the nature of the heckling.

I also think that if he's telling the truth, and I'm going to assume he is, then those fans should have been thrown out and are a bigger embarrassment than him.

So that I'm clear on this, you're responding to the suggestion that the fan said "Get on his knees like he used to". He's saying this to a black man in a country that used to have millions of black slaves literally on their knees. So I read that as a clear statement that he should go back to being a slave.

Am I missing something?

There's another connotation related to being on one's knees that doesn't involve kneeling.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 11:05:31 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up

Am I missing something?

I took it as a homophobic comment myself, not racist.
Bingo
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The boyfriend (not husband) says that he made a comment about Westbrook icing his knees, since he was wearing what he thought were ice packs.  He also says his girlfriend never said a word, and that it was her first NBA game.

I'm not sure I buy that, although I guess "ice pack on your knees" and "get back on your knees" do sound very similar.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2019, 11:12:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Am I missing something?
could be sexual in nature. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 11:14:45 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
The boyfriend (not husband) says that he made a comment about Westbrook icing his knees, since he was wearing what he thought were ice packs.  He also says his girlfriend never said a word, and that it was her first NBA game.

I'm not sure I buy that, although I guess "ice pack on your knees" and "get back on your knees" do sound very similar.

That sounds about as likely as Westbrook meaning 'F you up' in a non-aggressive way (as another poster posited as a defense tactic of Westbrook).

Sounds like the fan was a jerk; I'd tend to bet that the comment was homophobic and not a reference to subjugation/slavery; Westbrook was wrong; He should get a 1 game suspension for threatening bodily injury and the fan should be on a probation list and banned if something similar happens again.

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 11:17:00 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Would love some wanna be tough guy like Westbrook step to someone like that and have that person pull guard and throw a triangle choke on him.

Would be funny.

Sounds like somebody still lives in their parent's basement and watches too many kung-fu movies.

I referenced Brazillian Jui Jitsu, not Kungfu.

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I've sort of been thinking about how restrictive we are of violence today, while being extremely tolerant of speech.

I think maybe there's a natural balance to speech and physical consequences that we have stifled in the name of peace and order. We certainly don't want mass violence or anarchy. We want people who live in peace to be safe and those who are justifiably innocent to feel secure. We don't want to condone unfair fights, or extreme physical punishments, or permanent results due to temporary intoxication or instability.

But physical consequences can sometimes humble in a way that words never can. A quarrel is sometimes resolved when the participants invest more fully into it. Things can become clearer when more than words are on the line.

I wonder if we should find a way to incorporate a little more of a certain type of physical confrontation in our society in a way that is acceptable and beneficial to the growth and natural regulation of individuals, leading to a qualitative improvement of society as a whole.

there is some precedent for this.  For example, in college Marcus Smart gave a shove in the chest to a man who was badgering him.  The man later expressed regret, saying he would re-think how he behaves at games.  Some physical contact brings another level of reality that can clear the mind and make you say, "whoa what the heck am I doing here spouting this stuff".

As an aside, the US is not like Europe.  If fans here were allowed to say the things they say in Europe everything would break down...there'd be in-game violence, post-game violence, lawsuits up the whazoo, etc. etc..  Here in the US we have guns.  Guns in public not being legal in Europe allows them to have some extra expression that can get out of control at times, but without the gun massacre, or if not massacre, a shooting/murder at the end.

I'm sure I"m in the minority, but I like that Serge Obaka went after Marquisse Chriss.  Chriss was giving him the mobster stare down after Serge landed on his butt.  I like it when that kind of punk one upping stare has consequences. 

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've sort of been thinking about how restrictive we are of violence today, while being extremely tolerant of speech.

I think maybe there's a natural balance to speech and physical consequences that we have stifled in the name of peace and order. We certainly don't want mass violence or anarchy. We want people who live in peace to be safe and those who are justifiably innocent to feel secure. We don't want to condone unfair fights, or extreme physical punishments, or permanent results due to temporary intoxication or instability.

But physical consequences can sometimes humble in a way that words never can. A quarrel is sometimes resolved when the participants invest more fully into it. Things can become clearer when more than words are on the line.

I wonder if we should find a way to incorporate a little more of a certain type of physical confrontation in our society in a way that is acceptable and beneficial to the growth and natural regulation of individuals, leading to a qualitative improvement of society as a whole.

there is some precedent for this.  For example, in college Marcus Smart gave a shove in the chest to a man who was badgering him.  The man later expressed regret, saying he would re-think how he behaves at games.  Some physical contact brings another level of reality that can clear the mind and make you say, "whoa what the heck am I doing here spouting this stuff".

As an aside, the US is not like Europe.  If fans here were allowed to say the things they say in Europe everything would break down...there'd be in-game violence, post-game violence, lawsuits up the whazoo, etc. etc..  Here in the US we have guns.  Guns in public not being legal in Europe allows them to have some extra expression that can get out of control at times, but without the gun massacre, or if not massacre, a shooting/murder at the end.

I'm sure I"m in the minority, but I like that Serge Obaka went after Marquisse Chriss.  Chriss was giving him the mobster stare down after Serge landed on his butt.  I like it when that kind of punk one upping stare has consequences.
Yeah, in America there are stand your ground laws that just let people shoot you if they just feel threatened. Maybe standing up for yourself against people was character defining, once upon a time, but now, it will get you dead.

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.  .
it doesn't depend on anything

You can call me any racial or derogatory slur in the book. I respect peoples freedom of speech, so I'd never threaten anyone's life or physical well being. If someone threatened my life, then id have to defend myself but words like those aren't threats

This is just another unprofessional moment in the life of Westbrook,  guy with history of being trashy with fans and media

Westbrook isn't going to follow through with taking someone's life, so wouldn't his words just fall under freedom of speech too? Or do the goalposts get moved for him?

Threats aren’t protected speech.

Since we’re in the weeds with protected speech, is “****ing someone up” a clear threat, or would a lawyer be able to make a compelling argument that the phrase isn’t properly defined?

Lawyers can make a compelling argument for just about anything.  ;) However, on its face and in context it's a threat.  Even if the actions might generally only be considered disorderly conduct in some jurisdictions, its still not protected speech.

Still has to be considered a threat of violence.

Someone is definitely allowed to 'threaten to glare at you' or 'threaten to have you thrown out' or 'threaten to sue you' and such.

I can already hear Westbrook's lawyer explaining that "_______ you up" meant he was threatening to call security.

Whether a judge will buy that .... who knows?  Probably depends on the judge.

My understanding is that the particular couple were being pretty verbally abusive beyond the exchange caught in the vid.  The fan has espoused some pretty seriously extreme racist stuff on his social media, which would tend to support that that is probably true.

Westbrook should never have responded and should get fined & suspended.  But I can't say I blame him for responding.    Sometimes the fine & suspension might be a cost worth bearing.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2019, 02:30:42 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

That sounds about as likely as Westbrook meaning 'F you up' in a non-aggressive way (as another poster posited as a defense tactic of Westbrook).

Sounds like the fan was a jerk; I'd tend to bet that the comment was homophobic and not a reference to subjugation/slavery; Westbrook was wrong; He should get a 1 game suspension for threatening bodily injury and the fan should be on a probation list and banned if something similar happens again.

For The Win has an article on this:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/russell-westbrook-jazz

that includes a link to the fan's twitter.   I think it is most likely that the comment was racist in nature and not homophobic.   Either way doesn't make it any less revolting, though.

I concur that Westbrook should get fined and suspended and this fan should be banned.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

that includes a link to the fan's twitter.   I think it is most likely that the comment was racist in nature and not homophobic.   Either way doesn't make it any less revolting, though.

I concur that Westbrook should get fined and suspended and this fan should be banned.

I saw the Tweets last night but didn't want to post before confirmation (his account's locked). This seems like it's supporting that they're real - some of them can't be posted due to language but this is the one that stood out:

Golly do you think he's talking about California?

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Don't agree that he should be suspended at all. A heavy fine for Westbrook and a ban for the fan and call it a wrap.

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2019, 03:12:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Russell Westbrooke should not be suspended.

One of these days fans will learn that they can't be liquored up and say racially charged stuff to athletes - and NO it doesn't matter how much money the athlete makes.

Dignity is important. So is respect.

I hold Utah more accountable in all of this - dude should've been watched and tossed before he said this.

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I saw the Tweets last night but didn't want to post before confirmation (his account's locked). This seems like it's supporting that they're real - some of them can't be posted due to language but this is the one that stood out:

Golly do you think he's talking about California?
is there any proof that tweet ever existed? I can make that fake tweet very quickly in PhotoShop

Anyways, it doesnt seem racist still. Its still a reference to Westbrook he doesnt seem to target a race but continues to target Westbrook... So yes I believe its California but I truly believe that image is fake