Author Topic: Ford: GMs Think Ainge Really Likes Josh Jackson (Insider)  (Read 46245 times)

Re: Ford: GMs Think Ainge Really Likes Josh Jackson (Insider)
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2017, 01:49:37 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
i love Browns individual potential.   Same can be said about Jacksons

but having these two , on the same team....   top notch

both can guard 1-4 . Both can score 1 on 1 due to their explosiveness

Both get to the line at a high rate.

This has been WAY over blown and incorrect. It's not your fault Danny started it with Smart after playing Milsap well in 1 game last year. They can guard 2s and 3s on occasion a 1 or a 4 but most 4s will throw that 210 lbs. twig around like a rag doll.

« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Josh Jackson will be a huge bust. Stay away
would you care to provide us all with some reasons? rationales? proof? data? reports? anything to nudge this post beyond being an unsupported assertion?

thank you.

I'm willing to share my concerns. First of all, I'd have to define bust, because if bust means wash out of the NBA entirely, it's very unlikely that he busts. However, he could very realistically be nothing more than a mediocre rotation player. Let's start with his defense. It's good, and he has the mindset to play great defense, but he's not the elite defender he's been made out to be. Furthermore, he's skinny and has a short wingspan, which doesn't bode well for his ability to become elite. I think he'll always be a distinctly positive defender, but I doubt he's ever elite, and the idea that he already is is comical. His offense is even scarier. I think we can all agree that Jackson's best offensive skill is his passing. However, his passing really only shines in transition, which is worrisome because what the heck does he offer in the half court. His handle is pretty good, but it's not like he's some super advanced ball-handler. His shot needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Yes, he shot 38% from three. He did that on 90 attempts. His far larger sample from before college is troubling. Couple that with his gnarly FT% and hideous form, and I feel pretty confident in Jackson's inability to shoot. In reviewing Jackson, I've been left with one extremely worrisome question: what is Jackson's avenue to being a successful offensive player? Outside of transition opportunities, I don't see how he becomes one. That's terrifying out of the #3 pick.

I find it telling that all the rabid Jackson supporters refuse (aren't able?) to respond to this.

Exactly, Tp

The reason I believe in Josh Jackson is in large part because I believe in his ability to be a primary ball handler and creator from the small forward position. He moves quickly and fluidly with the basketball and has very good athleticism and body control.  Add his good passing skills, and I believe you have a guy who you can have play with the ball in his hands at the next level.

Obviously you wouldn't put him in that role full time right away on a Celtics team that already features Isaiah Thomas, but on a team that needs additional slashers, these skills would be useful.  I'd be very excited to watch him grow as an NBA player.

Thank you for a real response. I disagree with you, but at least I know you're not just pulling stuff out of your ***.

Which part do you disagree with? That Jackson will be able to be a creator with the ball in his hands at the NBA level?

Josh Jackson's ball handling is not good.

https://youtu.be/0YCqOIlHx9g

Even in that video, I feel like he displays the look of a natural ballhandler.  He played almost exclusively as a four in college, so he didn't get a ton of opportunity to handle the ball.

Sure, he showed a tendency to get sloppy when he did handle the rock, and he could use improvement.  When I watch him play, though, I see the ability being there. 

I think he will surprise people when he gets to play more exclusively at the wing in the NBA.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
i love Browns individual potential.   Same can be said about Jacksons

but having these two , on the same team....   top notch

both can guard 1-4 . Both can score 1 on 1 due to their explosiveness

Both get to the line at a high rate.

Yeah having Brown at the two and Jackson at the 3, coming off the bench with Smart.....Talk about smothering defense.

and NO offense!

« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2017, 01:53:47 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 664
  • MASTER OF PANIC
The number three pick and the Lakers pick next year is not enough. Needs to be more

Jackson is a long long way from being good at the next level

« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2017, 01:54:53 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Jackson is physically unready for the Nba.

He is a poor outside shooter

He is a poor free throw shooter

He is a problem off the court... Physically abused a young lady on the women's team

He is just another role player. Just another body.

He adds little to this team

So if all this is true then how does Danny not see it and you do from the internet?

Is he not the guy?

You think Josh Jackson is a true difference maker?

I am NOT saying that but maybe he is NOT the guy and it's someone else. I am just saying if he is as BAD as you portray him I am wondering how you know this but he and other GMs don't. I am not happy about trading the pick but I also don't have enough information to make the call. All I have is what other people are saying on the internet. Danny gets to see these guys in person. I just hope he is right.

« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The number three pick and the Lakers pick next year is not enough. Needs to be more

dont' forget the 2021 76ers 1st

I think the deal will be 2017 3rd, 2018 Lakers pick and 2021 option to swap with 76ers

« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I don't watch much NCAA but I did see Kansas in the tournament and wasn't the best player on his own team. Fox was by far the best and IMO should be considered over Jackson.

« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2017, 02:21:03 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
would you care to provide us all with some reasons? rationales? proof? data? reports? anything to nudge this post beyond being an unsupported assertion?

thank you.

I'm willing to share my concerns. First of all, I'd have to define bust, because if bust means wash out of the NBA entirely, it's very unlikely that he busts. However, he could very realistically be nothing more than a mediocre rotation player. Let's start with his defense. It's good, and he has the mindset to play great defense, but he's not the elite defender he's been made out to be. Furthermore, he's skinny and has a short wingspan, which doesn't bode well for his ability to become elite. I think he'll always be a distinctly positive defender, but I doubt he's ever elite, and the idea that he already is is comical. His offense is even scarier. I think we can all agree that Jackson's best offensive skill is his passing. However, his passing really only shines in transition, which is worrisome because what the heck does he offer in the half court. His handle is pretty good, but it's not like he's some super advanced ball-handler. His shot needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Yes, he shot 38% from three. He did that on 90 attempts. His far larger sample from before college is troubling. Couple that with his gnarly FT% and hideous form, and I feel pretty confident in Jackson's inability to shoot. In reviewing Jackson, I've been left with one extremely worrisome question: what is Jackson's avenue to being a successful offensive player? Outside of transition opportunities, I don't see how he becomes one. That's terrifying out of the #3 pick.

I find it telling that all the rabid Jackson supporters refuse (aren't able?) to respond to this.

Exactly, Tp

The reason I believe in Josh Jackson is in large part because I believe in his ability to be a primary ball handler and creator from the small forward position. He moves quickly and fluidly with the basketball and has very good athleticism and body control.  Add his good passing skills, and I believe you have a guy who you can have play with the ball in his hands at the next level.

Obviously you wouldn't put him in that role full time right away on a Celtics team that already features Isaiah Thomas, but on a team that needs additional slashers, these skills would be useful.  I'd be very excited to watch him grow as an NBA player.

Thank you for a real response. I disagree with you, but at least I know you're not just pulling stuff out of your ***.

Which part do you disagree with? That Jackson will be able to be a creator with the ball in his hands at the NBA level?

I believe he can be a grab and go player in transition. I'm not sold on him as a creator in the half court.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

thank you.

Exactly, Tp

Even in that video, I feel like he displays the look of a natural ballhandler.  He played almost exclusively as a four in college, so he didn't get a ton of opportunity to handle the ball.

Sure, he showed a tendency to get sloppy when he did handle the rock, and he could use improvement.  When I watch him play, though, I see the ability being there. 

I think he will surprise people when he gets to play more exclusively at the wing in the NBA.

The history of athletic wings who have had the luxury of playing the 4 in college and then had to play the 3 in the NBA is not exactly littered with success stories.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2017, 02:23:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

dont' forget the 2021 76ers 1st

I think the deal will be 2017 3rd, 2018 Lakers pick and 2021 option to swap with 76ers
That potential super team Fultz/Simmons/Saric/Embiid will make that pick mid of the first round at best.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

thank you.

Exactly, Tp

The history of athletic wings who have had the luxury of playing the 4 in college and then had to play the 3 in the NBA is not exactly littered with success stories.

I guess I'll take your word on that.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

thank you.

Exactly, Tp

Notably in the last couple drafts: Ingram and Winslow.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

thank you.

Exactly, Tp

A couple 19/20 year olds with one season under their belts (Winslow was hurt most of last) isn't really a great example. Let these kids grow into there bodies and play a few seasons before you call bust.

« Reply #238 on: June 17, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

thank you.

Exactly, Tp

A couple 19/20 year olds with one season under their belts (Winslow was hurt most of last) isn't really a great example. Let these kids grow into there bodies and play a few seasons before you call bust.

agree

« Reply #239 on: June 17, 2017, 02:59:09 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

thank you.

Exactly, Tp

Im not saying they're busts, but something that appeared to be a strength (shooting) against college bigs who couldn't guard on the perimeter proved to be a major weakness as soon as they were guarded by NBA athletes.

DKC Clippers