Author Topic: Ford: GMs Think Ainge Really Likes Josh Jackson (Insider)  (Read 46500 times)

Re: Ford: GMs Think Ainge Really Likes Josh Jackson (Insider)
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
"I've picked Danny's brain for years," one GM said
Wonder if this is doc.

Could be Ryan McDonough

Ha ha!  The more I think about it, maybe this 'information' was purposely put out there by Danny himself ... in order to motivate Jackson (and even Ball) to maybe change his mind and at least come back in for a workout.

That wouldn't necessarily mean a thing about who Danny intends to take or not.  But one thing we do know is that Danny tries very hard to interview and workout every top prospect he can while he can (once they are signed to another team he can't talk to them for 2-4 years, until they become free agents again).

Danny and staff know that Jackson prefers to play for the Lakers .... He is from the LA area

But also...

https://twitter.com/chad_amaral/status/875533058929242112
do you have a source for this statement? i have not seen this before. and let's take care to not join the rush of those posters who may believe LA roots automatically mean a desire to be in LA for each player.

and even if they do so out of college, they can change their mind...ala pierce.

one more thing, jackson went to school in kansas, about as un-LA as you can get. he did not choose UCLA, USC, Riverside, etc. etc. etc.

I searched, and found nothing. Even in his interviews right after the workouts Jackson expresses no preference for the Lakers over any other team.

But that doesn't matter. Jackson wants to play in LA. And, "Danny knows that."

How are we privy to this information, you might ask? Well, it's simple. We are lucky enough to have a poster here who has a direct line into the brain of every other human being on the planet.

You have no 'clue'

I cant help you

Maybe its bc you are obsessed with drafting Fultz..you cant think clearly

I don't need your help, thanks. And I'm not obsessed with anything. If Danny decides to go another direction, so be it and I'll hope for the best. I trust that he knows more about basketball than I do. And I'm certainly not going around claiming I know what he or anyone else is thinking, to support some narrative.

« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2017, 01:49:46 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
A guy like Josh Jackson (or Tatum) is in the draft every year.

You're right, and sometimes that player ends up being Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, or Jimmy Butler.

« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
More on topic. I like Jackson alot but I cant say that I have seen his game grow much over the past three years. This does not mean he wont get better, just saying I havent seen alot of growth in his game. I would prefer to pick a player like Fultz or Tatum simply because I know they work hard on their game. Same thing I knew about Brown last year.
Ummm, since January starting with the Texas game JJ shot 25 for 49 from 3 point range (shot 9 for 41 prior to that game). If that's not improvement I don't know what is. I'm still in the Fultz camp without question but JJ DID get better as the season went on. No question about that. He also improved his REB/game significantly during that time. The only thing I'm worried about is his carelessness with the ball and unforced turnovers. A good coach (or a Marcus Smart) can beat that out of you at a young age.
good point on the improved shooting. though it is only a very very small sample, so is the sample showing poor shooting early in the year.

i think the only problem with jackson's shooting, assuming the 3 point percentage holds up, would be his mid range jump shot. his mechanics still seem odd there.

but, as much as i like jackson, fultz is the pick to make....unless danny sees something we don't.
Yeah, his free throw shooting is also still abysmal.

Fultz is unquestionably the pick to make. ESPN is just click bait. All bark and no bite.

« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2017, 01:53:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
More on topic. I like Jackson alot but I cant say that I have seen his game grow much over the past three years. This does not mean he wont get better, just saying I havent seen alot of growth in his game. I would prefer to pick a player like Fultz or Tatum simply because I know they work hard on their game. Same thing I knew about Brown last year.
Ummm, since January starting with the Texas game JJ shot 25 for 49 from 3 point range (shot 9 for 41 prior to that game). If that's not improvement I don't know what is. I'm still in the Fultz camp without question but JJ DID get better as the season went on. No question about that. He also improved his REB/game significantly during that time. The only thing I'm worried about is his carelessness with the ball and unforced turnovers. A good coach (or a Marcus Smart) can beat that out of you at a young age.
good point on the improved shooting. though it is only a very very small sample, so is the sample showing poor shooting early in the year.

i think the only problem with jackson's shooting, assuming the 3 point percentage holds up, would be his mid range jump shot. his mechanics still seem odd there.

but, as much as i like jackson, fultz is the pick to make....unless danny sees something we don't.
2 months of good shooting is more likely to be a hot streak than improvement.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton

The college basketball season is only 4 months long...

« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
A guy like Josh Jackson (or Tatum) is in the draft every year.

You're right, and sometimes that player ends up being Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, or Jimmy Butler.

Exactly

« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
Jeff Goodman was just on Sportscenter talking about how there's a ton of misinformation out there right now from the top 4 teams (Boston, LA, Philly, and Phoenix) trying to influence who others take.

I'm guessing this Jackson rumor is part of that misinformation. He also felt pretty confident that LA would take Ball.

Yes, by all means, trust the guy who says what you want to hear.

Right. Because anonymous, rival GM sources with certainly no ulterior motives are more trustworthy than one of the more respected NBA reporters who is merely saying that there's a lot of misinformation out there right now, which is the status quo this time of the year before the draft.

We've all certainly seen how reliable non-objective, anonymous sources can be lately!  ::)

C'mon, that's a ridiculously dumb, illogical argument to make.

« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Which is why people generally don't put a lot of stock into college shooting percentages...
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2017, 02:28:17 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

You are talking about talking about a stretch since Jan. Im talking about over a 3 year stretch. I dont see a player much different than 2 or 3 years ago. That doenst mean I dont like him nor does it mean he hasnt had some gradual improvement. It means that I havent seen any real jumps in his game over that time.

« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sean Cunningham: Source: Kansas star Josh Jackson will hold private workout in Sacramento with the Sixers today. Will meet with Celtics in Boston days later 8 mins ago – via Twitter SeanCunningham

« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2017, 02:46:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Are you under the impression that you just made a really good point?
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
Sean Cunningham: Source: Kansas star Josh Jackson will hold private workout in Sacramento with the Sixers today. Will meet with Celtics in Boston days later 8 mins ago – via Twitter SeanCunningham

So esssentially the guy who said Danny probably leaked this just to try and get JJ in for a workout was probably right.

« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton

I feel no better than you should.

« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I feel no better than you should.
2 months is way to small a sample size and is likely indicitave of a hot streak.

That's how Justice Winslow and Stanley Johnson shot close to 40% from deep in college.

« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2017, 03:34:07 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Yes the college season is only 4 months but scouts have seen Jackson since he was 15 or 16. They develop a baseline to work with. Again this isnt to say that he isnt good. Its saying I havent seen much difference in his game over 2 or 3 years. It doesnt mean I think he is a bad player.