Author Topic: Women's World Cup Thread  (Read 23384 times)

Re: Women's World Cup Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2023, 06:37:54 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
So Germany, Canada, and Brazil all go out in the group stages. Wow.

Canada doesn't surprise me given everything that they've had going on with their federation, but going from an Olympic gold medal to this is a steep fall from grace.

Germany and Brazil are genuine shocks to me. I didn't think Brazil had a real shot at winning it all (hoped so though because it would've been nice to see Marta get a Cup). Pia just isn't as good of a coach as some thinks she is.

Germany had a strong showing in the UEFA Championship last year, so I thought they were ready to bounce back after a few underwhelming years. I was wrong.

As a Brazilian, very disappointed with their outing but happy to see 3 African countries advancing (Nigeria, South Africa and Morocco). I feel like this WC has had good parody with no clear cut winner. Even the worst countries have done well for themselves.

Agreed on the parity. I'm very happy for the Jamaican team given what they had to go through just to get there. Maybe now, their federation will offer basic support. But there's already some concern that a few federations aren't going to give the players who advanced to the knockouts their payouts ($60k per player), so it's something to keep on eye on.

As a Brazilian, I'm curious about your thoughts on Pia Sundhage? This is the 3rd national team she's underwhelmed with (USA and Sweden were the other 2). Do you think she'll be dismissed as coach?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2023, 07:25:06 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Do or die for USWNT! Don't die wondering  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2023, 05:53:41 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
It's a game of inches...but in reality the chickens came home to roost after failing to beat Portugal and Holland despite having many chances. I think they had like 30 to 40 shots, more than half of those on goal, over the past 2 1/2 games and converted none of them. In such a low scoring sport you have to put your chances away. The issue wasn't so much with the front three as with our midfield's lack of creativity. Rose's injury and Julie's move to the back to cover for Sauerbrumm's absence really disrupted them. Julie would have been much better than Sullivan in that holding midfielder regista role. Going to a 4-2-3-1 helped against Sweden but just inability to finish.

With them out I like either England or Japan to win now.

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2023, 06:29:40 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It's a game of inches...but in reality the chickens came home to roost after failing to beat Portugal and Holland despite having many chances. I think they had like 30 to 40 shots, more than half of those on goal, over the past 2 1/2 games and converted none of them. In such a low scoring sport you have to put your chances away. The issue wasn't so much with the front three as with our midfield's lack of creativity. Rose's injury and Julie's move to the back to cover for Sauerbrumm's absence really disrupted them. Julie would have been much better than Sullivan in that holding midfielder regista role. Going to a 4-2-3-1 helped against Sweden but just inability to finish.

With them out I like either England or Japan to win now.

Agreed about the midfield. We needed more creativity there because the forwards Vlatko chose to start want to shoot and they're great at it, but we needed playmaking somewhere. Julie should've been in the midfield and clearly, Sonnet should've seen more time at DM. As I said earlier in the thread, I would've started Rose and subbed her out at half. Better to get ahead than to try to work from behind. I get that Becky going down hurt our defense so putting Ertz there was supposed to shore us up in the back, but why play Cook on backline so much in the run up to the WWC just for her to not see the field once the tournament kicks off? A lot of the coaching choices were odd. I always thought they should've given the job to Laura Harvey in 2019. This is a chance for US Soccer to correct that mistake. Yeah, it's on the players to perform but they also weren't put in the best system to succeed. The problems have been brewing since the Olympics.

I also think our bench was really underutilized. Not sure if it was a trust issue with Vlatko, but he just didn't do as much as he could there. Even in this game going to extra time, he didn't use all of his subs.

This is the first WWC in 12 years where there's no clear favorite, so the next few rounds should be a bunch of fun. It could be Japan. Could be England. France is always tough. The Netherlands were runners up in 2019, why can't it be them? Could also see the Matildas make a run at the final in their home country - especially if Sam Kerr can come back and is healthy. I'm personally really looking forward to the Colombia/Jamaica matchup on Tuesday.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2023, 08:37:52 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It looks like the U.S. could beat Sweden, Japan, Spain, and England to win the World Cup. This looks like a tougher climb than in the past. Spain and England have equal odds with the U.S. One game a time, however. Those group stage results were less than inspiring. I think this squad can rally when the challenge gets heavier.

Not to be too reductive, but England appear to have a handle on scoring the ball this tournament, which would seem to favour them over the US as far as metrics of victory are concerned.

England's definitely benefited from Lauren James' dominance on offense. I'm still not sure what to make of them as a team.

I think the big takeaway is that Lauren James is very good at football. And she seems very fun to root for, or at least she has been fun to watch so far.

That's more or less all I can gleam from it, anyway.

Oh yeah, she's been fantastic and she's so young. We could be seeing the start of a very good career. But it's always hard to gauge how good a team is when it's reliant on a single player creating offense. They've scored 8 goals in the tournament so far and she's scored or assisted 6 of them.

I did not have Lauren James channeling David Beckham in my WWC bingo card. She's probably going to be suspended for the quarterfinal so we're about to see what England can do without her.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2023, 02:52:15 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I think the USWNT is in transition. Too many untested, young players and too many old soccer players. Rapinoe at 37 is too old. I'd imagine 26-32 yo is the sweet spot.

I think there will be a resurgence over the next 4 years. The country will rally behind them and they can continue to be the best team in the world. Besides, complete dominance gets boring. As a Patriots fan, I think the NYG did the league a favor by beating the 18-0 Patriots in the SB. A horse never runs so fast as when she has other horses to catch up and outpace.

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2023, 03:31:23 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
It looks like the U.S. could beat Sweden, Japan, Spain, and England to win the World Cup. This looks like a tougher climb than in the past. Spain and England have equal odds with the U.S. One game a time, however. Those group stage results were less than inspiring. I think this squad can rally when the challenge gets heavier.

Not to be too reductive, but England appear to have a handle on scoring the ball this tournament, which would seem to favour them over the US as far as metrics of victory are concerned.

England's definitely benefited from Lauren James' dominance on offense. I'm still not sure what to make of them as a team.

I think the big takeaway is that Lauren James is very good at football. And she seems very fun to root for, or at least she has been fun to watch so far.

That's more or less all I can gleam from it, anyway.

Oh yeah, she's been fantastic and she's so young. We could be seeing the start of a very good career. But it's always hard to gauge how good a team is when it's reliant on a single player creating offense. They've scored 8 goals in the tournament so far and she's scored or assisted 6 of them.

I did not have Lauren James channeling David Beckham in my WWC bingo card. She's probably going to be suspended for the quarterfinal so we're about to see what England can do without her.

Lose spectacularly, is my first assumption.

As for the USWNT: absolutely rough loss, but not an undeserved one based on how they played. 2011 was the last time they had a performance like this, and the US got 10+ really good years out of the team that came after that, so I wouldn't be surprised if they come back with a new coach and a much better showing on the next go around.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2023, 12:02:05 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Some folks in the US are celebrating the fact that the USWNT lost, and that Rapinoe's penalty miss contributed to it.

Conservatives celebrate the US women’s early exit from the World Cup: ‘Go woke, go broke’
By Shannon Larson Globe Staff,Updated August 7, 2023, 1:52 p.m.

After the United States suffered its earliest exit from the Women’s World Cup in team history Sunday, right-wingers rallied on social media — not to mourn the elimination of the two-time defending champions but to celebrate the Americans’ defeat to Sweden.

Many criticized the team as “woke” and “America-hating” and focused their ire on Megan Rapinoe, a veteran player who missed a crucial penalty kick during the decisive shootout.

They said the team deserved to lose, apparently angered by the team’s outspoken advocacy for equal pay and women’s rights and its public stand against racial inequality and LGBTQ discrimination.

“I root for America every single time they compete in sports, except for women’s soccer,” wrote political strategist Joey Mannarino, on X, the site formerly known as Twitter. “The game was lost because Megan Rapinoe, the woke piece of trash, missed a penalty kick. So Megan now bears the responsibility for why the US lost. I am so glad to see it. Go woke, go broke!”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/08/07/sports/some-conservatives-delight-us-womens-early-exit-world-cup-go-woke-go-broke/#comment-157443985

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2023, 04:17:25 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I realise it’s probably unreasonable to hold these commentators to exacting standards like “facts” and “a reasonable accounting of events as they happened during the passage of human history”, but by all accounts Megan Rapinoe (who did spend most of the tournament looking fairly washed) is just as ‘woke’ in 2023 as she was in 2019.

However, it occurs to me now that the USWNT is in a good spot to be treated like the men’s team, as they’ve now got their own disappointing and early World Cup exit.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2023, 07:49:51 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Some folks in the US are celebrating the fact that the USWNT lost, and that Rapinoe's penalty miss contributed to it.

Conservatives celebrate the US women’s early exit from the World Cup: ‘Go woke, go broke’

After the United States suffered its earliest exit from the Women’s World Cup in team history Sunday, right-wingers rallied on social media — not to mourn the elimination of the two-time defending champions but to celebrate the Americans’ defeat to Sweden.

Many criticized the team as “woke” and “America-hating” and focused their ire on Megan Rapinoe, a veteran player who missed a crucial penalty kick during the decisive shootout.

They said the team deserved to lose, apparently angered by the team’s outspoken advocacy for equal pay and women’s rights and its public stand against racial inequality and LGBTQ discrimination.

“I root for America every single time they compete in sports, except for women’s soccer,” wrote political strategist Joey Mannarino, on X, the site formerly known as Twitter. “The game was lost because Megan Rapinoe, the woke piece of trash, missed a penalty kick. So Megan now bears the responsibility for why the US lost. I am so glad to see it. Go woke, go broke!”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/08/07/sports/some-conservatives-delight-us-womens-early-exit-world-cup-go-woke-go-broke/#comment-157443985

Typical mean spirited stuff. This shocks no one. Soon enough they're going to be going after trans kids- oh wait, they already started on kids. Not adults. Kids. Ugh.

I just googled Joey Mannarino. He is a hate vendor. Really ugly stuff. I'm glad that we have free speech, but not at the expense of kids. I hope he doesn't have any.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 07:57:22 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2023, 08:03:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Typical mean spirited stuff. This shocks no one. Soon enough they're going to be going after trans kids- oh wait, they already started on kids. Not adults. Kids. Ugh.

I think it's fair to criticize them for anything they do while wearing the uniform.  That includes their play, any political demonstrations, and any interviews or articles featuring them in uniform.  That's where I personally draw the line.  Of course, it's fair to criticize what they're saying when not in uniform, too, but at that point, who cares?  They're just a person with a megaphone.

Of course, as Kernewek says, this exit hardly proves "woke goes broke"; the USWNT has been pushing its politics for many years, including while dominating.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2023, 08:13:33 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I think it's fair to criticize them for anything they do while wearing the uniform.  That includes their play, any political demonstrations, and any interviews or articles featuring them in uniform.  That's where I personally draw the line.  Of course, it's fair to criticize what they're saying when not in uniform, too, but at that point, who cares?  They're just a person with a megaphone.

Of course, as Kernewek says, this exit hardly proves "woke goes broke"; the USWNT has been pushing its politics for many years, including while dominating.

The public discourse has never been so extreme (in my lifetime). Things that are not made for polite society not only fly unfettered, but are celebrated with millions of clicks. This is becoming an uglier world by the day. I usually look for optimism and will do so with this. The USWNT will improve, as will conditions for people that aren't affluent, educated, and white. I knew I'd see people rally against women and the LGBTQ community, but rooting against America because of politics is a new low.

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2023, 08:18:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The public discourse has never been so extreme (in my lifetime). Things that are not made for polite society not only fly unfettered, but are celebrated with millions of clicks. This is becoming an uglier world by the day. I usually look for optimism and will do so with this. The USWNT will improve, as will conditions for people that aren't affluent, educated, and white. I knew I'd see people rally against women and the LGBTQ community, but rooting against America because of politics is a new low.

Eh.  It's not "rooting against America", it's rooting against a team wearing an American jersey made up of individuals, some of whom openly disparage America.  I don't think criticizing them is in any way a new low, just like those criticizing Carly Lloyd aren't a new low.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2023, 09:26:49 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Eh.  It's not "rooting against America", it's rooting against a team wearing an American jersey made up of individuals, some of whom openly disparage America.  I don't think criticizing them is in any way a new low, just like those criticizing Carly Lloyd aren't a new low.

Pure spin. Did you watch the 1980's men's hockey team? Was that a team of individuals, or did it represent the country vs the USSR?

I think free speech and the first amendment is one of our greatest gifts. Suppression of Constitutional rights is not something to be taken lightly.

We can disagree with individuals (again, not every person on that team was outspoken) and still root for our country. It's our gift. This is a beautiful country and we shouldn't strip people of their rights.

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2023, 09:42:59 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

No it is un-American to not root for the team representing America.

And out of curiosity which players openly disparaged America?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip