Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 369913 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1950 on: May 13, 2019, 06:17:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He also quit on D, on that final Leonard shot, giving up as soon as Embiid was near.  Guy has no heart.

« Reply #1951 on: May 13, 2019, 06:33:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This will also be a very interesting summer for the Sixers.

If I'm not mistaken, even if they let Butler and Harris go, they won't have enough cap space for another max signing unless they also cut more guys off their already thin bench.

So do they bring back both Harris and Butler, or one, or neither?

And also, could they actually decide they can't keep going with Simmons + Embiid as their two best players?

I'm not saying Embiid is why they lost, but as I've said for a while, PHI relies on him so much that by the 2nd half he's fatigued. Even tonight, he looked gassed in the final quarter. And he also seems to have health issues often. And yeah, unless Simmons learns how to shoot, he's going to remain a liability for that team in big games. "All-Star" Simmons with 13/8 in 42 minutes on like 5 shot attempts in a Game 7.

Again, it'll be a wild summer in the NBA and that'll be true for the Sixers too.
Don't forget about JJ Reddick. He was hugely important to their success and is a free agent too
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1952 on: May 13, 2019, 08:09:52 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Sixers going to left with Simmons and Embiid.

Harris should not get a max deal from anyone. Butler is gone...Reddick will be elsewhere.

« Reply #1953 on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Why are people talking about Jimmy Butler and/or Tobias Harris leaving?

Is there any reason to suggest they want to leave Philly?

« Reply #1954 on: May 13, 2019, 09:45:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

There have been rumors of Butler not being happy since before the Tobias trade.

Also are the 76ers really willing to pay 4 max players? A lot of the league is skeptical. You could see it this playoffs, its hard to have 4 all-star talents who all want the ball. Especially when you have the Simmons/Embiid fit issue.

« Reply #1955 on: May 13, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

There have been rumors of Butler not being happy since before the Tobias trade.

Also are the 76ers really willing to pay 4 max players? A lot of the league is skeptical. You could see it this playoffs, its hard to have 4 all-star talents who all want the ball. Especially when you have the Simmons/Embiid fit issue.

I thought the Jimmy Butler stuff had mostly been resolved. That he was unhappy with the offense but they had changed it to better accommodate him. Lots of stuff out there about how close Butler and Embiid have become. I thought it was almost a given that Butler would stay at this point. Not certain but extremely likely to stay.

I can see them being unwilling to pay Tobias max money.

« Reply #1956 on: May 13, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I can see them being unwilling to pay Tobias max money.
Agreed.

Also the league scuttle but was that Butler's market wasn't as rosy as they'd thought after his early play in Philly and the way it ended in Minnesota.

Just a really volatile situation across the entire league.

« Reply #1957 on: May 13, 2019, 10:42:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Philly out performed my expectation. Kudos to them.

I think a coaching change like the one Milwaukee did could get them to another level.

« Reply #1958 on: May 13, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Back to back 2nd round exits and a bit of an uncertain future at the moment.

Not sure that's process their fans were looking for.....

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1959 on: May 13, 2019, 10:57:30 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So many dramatic changes, I'd be interested to see what this team could do with a full off season together (and one when they craft a better fitting bench) and then have a full season to play together without dramatic and drastic changes.  If they go into next year with basically the same starting 5 with some shooters and other better fitting piecese on their bench, I think they might end up the team to beat in the East, especially depending on what happens with everyone else in the conference.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1960 on: May 13, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I think someone is going to overpay Harris and really regret it. People are calling him a star, but the clippers actually got better once he left and i would be pretty surprised if he ever made an all-star game. Really seems to be the kind of guy that puts up empty stats on a bad team and would be crippling on a max contract. However, teams are going out to strike out on their main targets and talk themselves into it.

As for Philly it wouldn't shock me if they traded Ben Simmons. Will he get a real shooting coach this summer (not his brother?) and really try to improve? He did not get any better between his first and second season of play and that is very concerning.

« Reply #1961 on: May 13, 2019, 01:03:54 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
So many dramatic changes, I'd be interested to see what this team could do with a full off season together (and one when they craft a better fitting bench) and then have a full season to play together without dramatic and drastic changes.  If they go into next year with basically the same starting 5 with some shooters and other better fitting piecese on their bench, I think they might end up the team to beat in the East, especially depending on what happens with everyone else in the conference.

Redick has kind of defied logic for a role player.  Set a career high in ppg last year at 33 with 17.1ppg, only to top it again this year at 34 with 18.1ppg. That's not supposed to happen at his age, also he's been very healthy.  He's an important part of what they got going on, but at some point very soon I feel like we might see a huge drop off.  His already weak D is probably only going to get worse.

With that being said, clearly he still has something left in the tank, wonder if any other team will try to lure him away.  I'm sure there's probably a wink, wink agreement that Philly paid him generously for the last 2 years, so take a team friendly deal now.  A Simmons max contract won't start until '20-'21, so Philly can probably stomach a competitive 1-year contract for Redick, but could somebody offer Redick a decent 2 (or even 3) year contract which Philly might not want to match?  A lot of teams will have money to throw around on Redick level players.

I'm sure they're hoping for a reduced role for Redick anyway, just based on having a full camp with Harris and Butler, and whatever players they can bring in to fill out their bench.  Plus they have an unknown entity with potential in Zhaire Smith who I'm sure they're hoping can be Redick's replacement sometime down the line.

Just saying the loss or any major decline/injury to Redick has potential to really negatively impact Philly's on court ecosystem, even though he's their 5th best starter, he's such an important part of their balance.

Will definitely be interesting to see what Philly does if they can bring all 5 starters back and who they can pick up to fill out their bench.  Also is a new coach in the cards?  Will Simmons step up his game at all next year?  Will everybody stay healthy?  Another positive for Philly is 2 of the better players at containing Embiid (Horford, Gasol) will be another year older and probably less effective against him.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #1962 on: May 13, 2019, 01:24:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Redick has kind of defied logic for a role player.  Set a career high in ppg last year at 33 with 17.1ppg, only to top it again this year at 34 with 18.1ppg. That's not supposed to happen at his age, also he's been very healthy.  He's an important part of what they got going on, but at some point very soon I feel like we might see a huge drop off.  His already weak D is probably only going to get worse.

With that being said, clearly he still has something left in the tank, wonder if any other team will try to lure him away.  I'm sure there's probably a wink, wink agreement that Philly paid him generously for the last 2 years, so take a team friendly deal now.  A Simmons max contract won't start until '20-'21, so Philly can probably stomach a competitive 1-year contract for Redick, but could somebody offer Redick a decent 2 (or even 3) year contract which Philly might not want to match?  A lot of teams will have money to throw around on Redick level players.

I'm sure they're hoping for a reduced role for Redick anyway, just based on having a full camp with Harris and Butler, and whatever players they can bring in to fill out their bench.  Plus they have an unknown entity with potential in Zhaire Smith who I'm sure they're hoping can be Redick's replacement sometime down the line.

Just saying the loss or any major decline/injury to Redick has potential to really negatively impact Philly's on court ecosystem, even though he's their 5th best starter, he's such an important part of their balance.

Will definitely be interesting to see what Philly does if they can bring all 5 starters back and who they can pick up to fill out their bench.  Also is a new coach in the cards?  Will Simmons step up his game at all next year?  Will everybody stay healthy?  Another positive for Philly is 2 of the better players at containing Embiid (Horford, Gasol) will be another year older and probably less effective against him.

Well they have this great young shooter named Shamet under cost control for several years to replace reddick...

« Reply #1963 on: May 13, 2019, 03:06:21 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Back to back 50 win seasons where the team got out of the first round and their "star" players are both under 25.

I think their best bet would be to spend the money on Butler and Harris and see what they can do to build around the foursome, get a little improvement out or Simmons, and run it back with a training camp under their belt.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1964 on: May 13, 2019, 03:15:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Back to back 50 win seasons where the team got out of the first round and their "star" players are both under 25.

I think their best bet would be to spend the money on Butler and Harris and see what they can do to build around the foursome, get a little improvement out or Simmons, and run it back with a training camp under their belt.

Embid is actually already 25 and is older than Giannis. If he can get his conditioning improved, he could still make a bigger impact. I am less optimistic Simmons will improve even though he is younger because he literally made zero improvement between last season and this season.

I really think Harris would be bad to bring back for them at a near max contract. Maybe they need him more if Reddick leaves.