Author Topic: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)  (Read 18173 times)

Re: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 05:46:29 PM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 373
Per Woj:

Celtics C Kristaps Porzingis is expected to miss a minimum of several games with the right soleus strain, sources tell ESPN.

"Miss a minimum of several games" what the hell does that even mean?!?!?

this is the most ridiculous "woj bomb" he's ever done several could be 2 it could be 10. this is not news

It’s woj being non specific to CYOA.

then don't even report if you are WOJ. we know he will miss games. this isn't news.

if you want to report what grade it is, or how long you think he will be out sure. but to say he will miss several games. what does that mean? 4,5,6?

Re: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 05:50:07 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1034
Average missed time is 17 days for a grade 1.

If ORL-CLE goes 7, we wouldn’t start til Tuesday, which is 8 days. 9 days is probably 4-5 games into the ECSF.

Not great but by the way he reacted initially, it could have been worse IMO.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 05:52:24 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 889
  • GOT IT!!!
At least it wasn’t the Achilles. They will be very careful with him so who knows when he is able to come back. He will be missed though, don’t get it twisted.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2024, 05:52:31 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1624
  • What a Pub Should Be
Posted this in another thread but some key dates to keep in mind.

(I don't think we'll see him in round 2)

So, from a scheduling standpoint, the Conference Finals are set to begin May 21-22 but could potentially move up to May 19-20 depending how second round series go.  So the 19th puts us a tad shy of 3 weeks from now. 

No matter what, NBA Finals don't start until June 6th.

So, depending on the severity of this strain, some key dates to keep in mind.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2024, 06:25:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2967
Nobody out there seems willing to put a grade on the strain. That would be nice to know, a grade 1 could still be anywhere from 1-3 and a grade 2 could be 3-6 but knowing its a grade 1 would rule out the worst-case scenarios.

That said it sounds like a case where he'll miss most if not all of the next round. Thats fine, C's should win without him. If they can't beat Clevland with what's left then they aren't the team we think they are.

This is why its good they added Tillman. Gives them another bigman piece to try.

They’ve been pretty tight-lipped and conservative about these injuries and expected returns in recent years since Brad took over as president, especially around the playoffs.

Remember Timelord’s injury that he ended up coming back a little early from? Hopefully it’s a situation that isn’t too serious and we’re being tight-lipped about it for some gamesmanship reasons.

But I’ll be ecstatic if we get him back to start the conference finals. Just need to keep him healthy from there on out.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2024, 07:10:58 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1602
Per Woj:

Celtics C Kristaps Porzingis is expected to miss a minimum of several games with the right soleus strain, sources tell ESPN.

what??? how does he know that?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2024, 07:14:20 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2556
Per Woj:

Isn’t it pretty obvious that he’ll miss several games?

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2024, 07:41:48 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1246
So I did a google and “several” is defined as more than 2 but not many. Probably somewhere between 3-5. Woj is playing with us with that tweet!

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2024, 07:48:17 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
The grade of the strain is all subjective.  You could have 10 doctors view it and maybe they split 50/50 on the grade.  Bottom line will be how KP's body responds to it.  If it were grade X it doesn't mean he will miss Y days no more or no less. 

Before the season started, I had high hopes for this team, but you never know until you see them actually play together.  After the first 20 games or so, I was convinced they'd be a top 3 title contender, and a lot of that hinged on KP staying healthy.  All in all, did a pretty good job staying healthy until later in the season.  Not sure if he really had something or they were just being more cautious.  But this injury is pretty scary.  I see these "worst case" posts about him coming back at some later round.  Worst case really is not coming back for this playoffs.  Let's hope for the best.

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2024, 08:01:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
This team is good enough and deep enough to get to the ECF without him without too much worry. But if it's an injury that's going to linger longer than that, I worry.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2024, 08:51:06 PM »

• Bill Sharman
my worry is we need him healthy for a ECF and finals run

how do we do it? he is very fragile and brittle it appears.

bubble wrap and cut back on minutes unless we are desperate?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2024, 08:53:42 PM »

• Bill Sharman
Per Woj:

Isn’t it pretty obvious that he’ll miss several games?

several in ECQF or semis? both? so if we close out tomm he may not miss several? see the point? he worded that very carefully
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2024, 09:01:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3029
  • On To Banner 18!
Woj isn't playing anyone with that tweet, it's just a lazy tweet and "reporting" period.

But Woj doesn't have much Celtics sources compared to others either, it's pretty evident by now. I mean come on, @Boston Garden Leprechaun could have tweeted that exact same thing with no grade or timeline.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2024, 09:29:02 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 741
Nobody out there seems willing to put a grade on the strain. That would be nice to know, a grade 1 could still be anywhere from 1-3 and a grade 2 could be 3-6 but knowing its a grade 1 would rule out the worst-case scenarios.

That said it sounds like a case where he'll miss most if not all of the next round. Thats fine, C's should win without him. If they can't beat Clevland with what's left then they aren't the team we think they are.

This is why its good they added Tillman. Gives them another bigman piece to try.

If Mazzulla will play him, that is.

Frustrating to me the way the Celts did such a good job managing Porzingis' health through the regular season
only to have him injured now in the opening round of the playoffs.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2024, 09:48:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977
At least he came out of the game and didn’t try and return. I remember Kobe being sore and kept playing and Pop went his tendon .

This is why we still need to draft another young big to groom and be KP understudy.

I d leave him out till the finals .  Can’t beat Nuggets without him I don’t think in series.