Author Topic: Pacers (0-1) at Celtics (1-0) Round 1 Game 2 4/17/19  (Read 47855 times)

Re: Pacers (0-1) at Celtics (1-0) Round 1 Game 2 4/17/19
« Reply #705 on: April 18, 2019, 04:24:22 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I'm a fan of any game where Tatum and Kyrie each get 20+ shot attempts. 

Stop playing around.  We only go as far as those two take us.
TP. They are our best scorers, they should get those.

Once again Kyrie has been a demon on defense.
His offense is expectedly better in the playoffs, as it usually is.
But defensively he is fantastic and the improvement on that end from his Cleveland days is astonishing.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #706 on: April 18, 2019, 04:36:53 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I start to get very skeptical when someone has not a single good thing to say about a player. Like no matter if they did something good or not, it gets spun as him being greedy, or a ball hog, or that by doing his thing he automatically makes the other players turn into shrinking violets (there's some All Stars in there trying to get out! If only!).

I think basketball players tend to know when someone is hot, and feeling it, and it makes sense to feed that player. For most of the game that was Kyrie. But it's worth noting that in the 4th quarter he only had 5 FG and made 3 of them, and 2 of them were open 3s. JT had 9, Al had 4, JB and Gordon had 2 each. JT was the hot hand in the 4th. On a night where Mook went 0-8, Al 2-5 and Terry 2-6 I'm glad JB and Kyrie were able to turn it on. Next game it might be a different person, but Kyrie is the only player on this team who can consistently create his own offense and we need that type of player when the rest of the team is struggling. Especially in the playoffs when defenses are locked on and weaknesses are game planned for.

I think of it this way. Close your eyes and imagine Kyrie on the other team. Are we happy to see him on the other team because he sucks so bad? And do you think Indiana fans are upset to have the overdribbler on their team?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #707 on: April 18, 2019, 05:58:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

« Reply #708 on: April 18, 2019, 06:07:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

thats right ,   thats why you get stars , to ride them during the playoffs .  The rest just need to play defense mostly . 

« Reply #709 on: April 18, 2019, 07:21:56 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

But defensively he is fantastic and the improvement on that end from his Cleveland days is astonishing.

now, if only we could get Brown/Hayward to get more shots than Morris/Rozier we would be on to something.

There is no reason those latter two should have more shot attempts

« Reply #710 on: April 18, 2019, 08:24:42 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I start to get very skeptical when someone has not a single good thing to say about a player. Like no matter if they did something good or not, it gets spun as him being greedy, or a ball hog, or that by doing his thing he automatically makes the other players turn into shrinking violets (there's some All Stars in there trying to get out! If only!).

I think basketball players tend to know when someone is hot, and feeling it, and it makes sense to feed that player. For most of the game that was Kyrie. But it's worth noting that in the 4th quarter he only had 5 FG and made 3 of them, and 2 of them were open 3s. JT had 9, Al had 4, JB and Gordon had 2 each. JT was the hot hand in the 4th. On a night where Mook went 0-8, Al 2-5 and Terry 2-6 I'm glad JB and Kyrie were able to turn it on. Next game it might be a different person, but Kyrie is the only player on this team who can consistently create his own offense and we need that type of player when the rest of the team is struggling. Especially in the playoffs when defenses are locked on and weaknesses are game planned for.

I think of it this way. Close your eyes and imagine Kyrie on the other team. Are we happy to see him on the other team because he sucks so bad? And do you think Indiana fans are upset to have the overdribbler on their team?

Well said! TP.

« Reply #711 on: April 18, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

now, if only we could get Brown/Hayward to get more shots than Morris/Rozier we would be on to something.

agreed

I am ok with morris putting up a few, but Rozier I wish didnt have to step on the floor.

I find that Morris becomes similar to who he is playing with.

If he is with players that can go out and get it done (Kyrie) he thinks he can do the same.

If he plays with tunnel vision me me me me me me players (rozier) he does the same

but pair with with guys who attack the paint and move the ball,  and he plays better

« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2019, 09:09:48 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Superstar game from Kyrie. No one could buy a basket in the first half and he kept them in the game. He looked unstoppable.

It's possible the C's just saw Indy's best offensive shot. They had stretches where they were making everything. That deep 3 that Tyreke threw up at the end of the shot clock? That's not exactly something they can rely on. I felt like they had some crazy lay-ups too while the Celtics were missing bunnies on their end.

Of course Indy is looking forward to some home cooking on Friday but if the Celtics just take care of business they should go up 3-0.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2019, 09:33:12 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

thats right ,   thats why you get stars , to ride them during the playoffs .  The rest just need to play defense mostly .

I disagree here. Tatum is no star. The offense was painful to watch, and we will lose in the next round playing this way. There is not enough pace off rebounds and not enough ball movement. Horford(6 shots), Brown(6) and Hayward(7) are not getting the touches and space to make anything happen.

We have big wings who can punish Collison and Cory Joseph on the blocks and we never see that happen. Horford should be pulling the best shot blocker in the league away from the rim.

I appreciate Kyrie's defense, and he's able to score at will, but we aren't going to win unless we move the ball and create space. We need at least 40 pts from Horford, Brown and Hayward.

We only won this game because Stevens switched Brown onto Thad Young.

« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Brown is not going to get a lot of shot attempts if he is on the court with the starting unit.  Brown lately seems a little tentative shooting the 3 ball and he is struggling to get to the rim.  It is all moot if he can play strong defense against the other team's best offensive player (likely Bogdonavic for this series), which he has done, except for some foul trouble.

I think Semi should be used for 5 minutes a game on Bogdonavic or Thaddeus Young as well, just to give the others a rest.  Should the Celtics reach round 2, Semi will likely need to be involved.  I can see Brown sticking Middleton to try to take him out of the game and the Celtics will need multiple other bodies to throw at the Greek Freak.

« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2019, 09:34:51 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

agreed

I am ok with morris putting up a few, but Rozier I wish didnt have to step on the floor.

I find that Morris becomes similar to who he is playing with.

If he is with players that can go out and get it done (Kyrie) he thinks he can do the same.

If he plays with tunnel vision me me me me me me players (rozier) he does the same

but pair with with guys who attack the paint and move the ball,  and he plays better

Rozier's stat line last night was about what I'd like to see (if he has to play): 2-5 from the field, 6 rebounds, 6 assists. His defense was better than usual - more staying in front of his man, less gambling for steals and losing focus. Of course those three misses were awful, but if he can hold himself to a shot every four minutes or so and at least make some of them I can survive it.

« Reply #716 on: April 18, 2019, 09:36:59 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Brown is not going to get a lot of shot attempts if he is on the court with the starting unit.  Brown lately seems a little tentative shooting the 3 ball and he is struggling to get to the rim.  It is all moot if he can play strong defense against the other team's best offensive player (likely Bogdonavic for this series), which he has done, except for some foul trouble.

I think Semi should be used for 5 minutes a game on Bogdonavic or Thaddeus Young as well, just to give the others a rest.  Should the Celtics reach round 2, Semi will likely need to be involved.  I can see Brown sticking Middleton to try to take him out of the game and the Celtics will need multiple other bodies to throw at the Greek Freak.

Brown's defense this series has been solid; his offense has really gone missing. Love to see Smart back and Jaylen return to the sixth man role he'd been crushing.

« Reply #717 on: April 18, 2019, 09:46:20 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I disagree here. Tatum is no star. The offense was painful to watch, and we will lose in the next round playing this way. There is not enough pace off rebounds and not enough ball movement. Horford(6 shots), Brown(6) and Hayward(7) are not getting the touches and space to make anything happen.

We have big wings who can punish Collison and Cory Joseph on the blocks and we never see that happen. Horford should be pulling the best shot blocker in the league away from the rim.

I appreciate Kyrie's defense, and he's able to score at will, but we aren't going to win unless we move the ball and create space. We need at least 40 pts from Horford, Brown and Hayward.

We only won this game because Stevens switched Brown onto Thad Young.

I agree. Stevens likes the drive-and-kick but the C's have some talented post players on the roster. I wouldn't mind running some offense through the post anytime Tatum or Hayward has a guard on them. Brown, too, if he can be taught to not overdribble and keep his head up for open teammates.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #718 on: April 18, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think they saw how Horford post ups on smalls didn't work out great and decided to have the wings drive rather than post.

The Pacers have been good in doubling and recovering these two games. The C's have repeatedly went to Horford in the Horford/small mismatches both games and the C's didn't produce a ton out of the looks due to good help and recovery.

(the C's have missed what open shots they have gotten out of it, also some turnovers and bad shots)

« Reply #719 on: April 18, 2019, 09:24:33 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Sorry guys, playing offense this way is not going to get us anywhere near a title. Same reason Houston never gets it done. Everyone is so busy worshipping Kyrie, that they are missing the big picture. Irving's ball dominance has reached new heights in the playoffs. Two players took over half our shots.

That’s on Stevens more so Kyrie. At least Kyrie can actually score.

Other players are perfectly capable of scoring if you include them in the offense - if they are just left to stand in the corner and watch Kyrie dribble, of course they are not going to be effective, not get good shots, not get into any offensive rhythm. Hayward ended the night with zero assists and he is the best playmaker on the team.

BLAH BLAH BLAH SMH
LET'S GO CELTICS!