Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375497 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1650 on: December 27, 2018, 06:20:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Maybe if Embiid could actually play more than 32 minutes without getting winded his complaints would hold more merit.  He just looks exhausted at the end of games, especially tight ones that go into overtime.

Yeah that narrative is outdated. He looked pretty energetic sprinting back on defense and getting a chase down block on Tatum at the end of the 4th last night.

Last season Embiid got winded toward the end of games as he was working his way into full game shape once his minutes restriction was lifted, this season his conditioning looks very good.
I saw him huffing and puffing a lot in that game, especially in overtime.  He was slow to get to his spots a number of times late (when he wasn't early), which directly led to a couple of turnovers as well.  Embiid's conditioning is better than it was last year, but it is still pretty bad.

If you really think conditioning was the problem with him down the stretch, then Brett Brown should do a much better job of managing his minutes to keep him fresh for closing close games the way Stevens does with our guys. There is no excuse for not utilizing your best offensive player down the stretch of a close game.
I don't disagree, the problem is actually pulling him out earlier in the game.  They tried to get him the ball in OT a couple of times where they turned it over in part because Embiid was out of position some.  There were a couple of free throws in OT where Embiid just looked exhausted waiting for a shot to go up.

Some of this is coaching, but a large part of it, is Embiid just not getting himself into proper shape.  He needs to do better if he really wants to be a MVP type player. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1651 on: December 27, 2018, 06:51:14 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Maybe if Embiid could actually play more than 32 minutes without getting winded his complaints would hold more merit.  He just looks exhausted at the end of games, especially tight ones that go into overtime.

I think we would all be losing our minds if irving was constantly criticizing brad's gameplan to the media.
Irving has made a number of comments in the similar ilk.  Not quite so many or as directly at the coach, but he certainly has indirectly called out Brad this year. 

That said, Embiid is far more vocal about everything then most players.  He talks a lot about a lot of different things. Much more in the Lebron James ilk in that regard then most players.

When did Irving complaining about wanting the ball more or more shots?
Criticizing the gameplan is not the same thing as complaining about not getting enough shots.  Irving has spoken quite positively about Stevens, but he has also criticized him (again more indirectly than flat out calling him out like Embiid did).
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Embiid complained about being asked to stand on the perimeter a few weeks ago and here not getting the ball. What has Irving complained about? Can you actually provide some links or a story instead of your usual vague references?
Gotta agree. Kyrie has called out team mates but I don't ever remember him criticizing the coach or the game plan. I have no idea where that is coming from
Here is the source of the link guys:
www.idisskyrieateveryopportunity.org
Link doesn't work...or was that the point?
Yes, Moranis is always bashing him. Even when the man is killing it or as in this case when there is no data to support his case.
But, hey, it would be wrong if we all thought the same all the time.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1652 on: December 27, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I think we would all be losing our minds if irving was constantly criticizing brad's gameplan to the media.
Irving has made a number of comments in the similar ilk.  Not quite so many or as directly at the coach, but he certainly has indirectly called out Brad this year. 

That said, Embiid is far more vocal about everything then most players.  He talks a lot about a lot of different things. Much more in the Lebron James ilk in that regard then most players.

When did Irving complaining about wanting the ball more or more shots?
Criticizing the gameplan is not the same thing as complaining about not getting enough shots.  Irving has spoken quite positively about Stevens, but he has also criticized him (again more indirectly than flat out calling him out like Embiid did).
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Embiid complained about being asked to stand on the perimeter a few weeks ago and here not getting the ball. What has Irving complained about? Can you actually provide some links or a story instead of your usual vague references?
Gotta agree. Kyrie has called out team mates but I don't ever remember him criticizing the coach or the game plan. I have no idea where that is coming from

Guess he was just joking or something

« Reply #1653 on: January 04, 2019, 03:36:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Interesting article detailing how Jimmy Butler is causing some tension in Philly and might not be long term viable there

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25684980/jimmy-butler-challenging-philadelphia-76ers-coach-brett-brown-offensive-role

Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Jimmy Butler has aggressively challenged coach Brett Brown on his role in the offense, complicating an already tenuous chemistry among the team's Big 3 hierarchy, league sources told ESPN.

Butler has been vocal in his contesting of Brown and his system, including a recent film session in Portland that some witnesses considered "disrespectful" and beyond normal player-coach discourse.

Brown has told people within the organization that he had no issues with that exchange and considered it within the confines of the relationship that he's developed with Butler, sources said.

While a source close to Butler contends that his intense, direct style can come off as combative as he's trying to make clear his viewpoints, Butler's sluggish assimilation into the Sixers environment is causing some concern about his long-term viability and fit with the organization, league sources said. Nevertheless, the franchise's full focus and resources remain on making this new partnership work this season and beyond.

Bringing together the complex trio of Butler, Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons was never going to be easy for any coach, and it's already proving a substantial challenge for the Sixers.

Brown, who signed a contract extension in the offseason, remains a popular figure with ownership and management. Around the organization, there's an urgency for Brown and his coaching staff to stabilize the situation, sources said.

Ownership has been committed to making the Big 3 of Embiid, Simmons and Butler work, especially with Butler's free agency looming this summer.

Brown had already spent significant time working on the sometimes-tenuous relationship between Simmons and Embiid, and those challenges have been compounded by the urgency to introduce Butler into the Sixers' dynamic.

Butler has expressed a desire to teammates that he hopes to play in more traditional pick-and-roll and isolation sets, rather than trying to find his place in the Sixers free-flowing offense, league sources said. In searching for answers, Butler has met privately with Brown and his coaching staff, as well as general manager Elton Brand, league sources told ESPN.

« Reply #1654 on: January 04, 2019, 03:49:19 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
Interesting article detailing how Jimmy Butler is causing some tension in Philly and might not be long term viable there

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25684980/jimmy-butler-challenging-philadelphia-76ers-coach-brett-brown-offensive-role

Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Jimmy Butler has aggressively challenged coach Brett Brown on his role in the offense, complicating an already tenuous chemistry among the team's Big 3 hierarchy, league sources told ESPN.

Butler has been vocal in his contesting of Brown and his system, including a recent film session in Portland that some witnesses considered "disrespectful" and beyond normal player-coach discourse.

Brown has told people within the organization that he had no issues with that exchange and considered it within the confines of the relationship that he's developed with Butler, sources said.

While a source close to Butler contends that his intense, direct style can come off as combative as he's trying to make clear his viewpoints, Butler's sluggish assimilation into the Sixers environment is causing some concern about his long-term viability and fit with the organization, league sources said. Nevertheless, the franchise's full focus and resources remain on making this new partnership work this season and beyond.

Bringing together the complex trio of Butler, Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons was never going to be easy for any coach, and it's already proving a substantial challenge for the Sixers.

Brown, who signed a contract extension in the offseason, remains a popular figure with ownership and management. Around the organization, there's an urgency for Brown and his coaching staff to stabilize the situation, sources said.

Ownership has been committed to making the Big 3 of Embiid, Simmons and Butler work, especially with Butler's free agency looming this summer.

Brown had already spent significant time working on the sometimes-tenuous relationship between Simmons and Embiid, and those challenges have been compounded by the urgency to introduce Butler into the Sixers' dynamic.

Butler has expressed a desire to teammates that he hopes to play in more traditional pick-and-roll and isolation sets, rather than trying to find his place in the Sixers free-flowing offense, league sources said. In searching for answers, Butler has met privately with Brown and his coaching staff, as well as general manager Elton Brand, league sources told ESPN.

To me, Butler just comes off more and more as a selfish dude.  I am so glad that we didn't trade for him.  I would be willing to bet that he won't be back with the 76ers.  Butler seems to feel that every team he plays for should revolve around him. 

« Reply #1655 on: January 04, 2019, 03:53:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

That doesn't sound like it is a slam dunk he will resign...

« Reply #1656 on: January 04, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
What a dysfunctional situation. All 3 players care more about themselves than they do about winning. They're too immature to put aside their egos for the greater good.

I can't wait until they overpay Butler this summer.

« Reply #1657 on: January 04, 2019, 04:16:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
What a dysfunctional situation. All 3 players care more about themselves than they do about winning. They're too immature to put aside their egos for the greater good.

I think Embiid has been immature to go to the media about his coaches and the gameplan, but I think he is a team player that wants to win and just believes he knows what they need to do to win.

« Reply #1658 on: January 04, 2019, 04:31:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I think Embiid has been immature to go to the media about his coaches and the gameplan, but I think he is a team player that wants to win and just believes he knows what they need to do to win.

Well he was rested against Detroit last month and after the game, which they won he complained saying:
“I haven’t been myself lately. I think it’s mainly because of the way I’ve been used, which is I’m being used as a spacer, I guess, a stretch-five, which I’m only shooting [29] percent from three-point range. But is seems like the past couple games, like the way I play, our setup, coach always has me playing the perimeter … and it really frustrates me.”

So, even though they just won a game, he was complaining about he had been used, seemingly the 3 games prior. However, out of those 3 games, they had won 2 of them with the lone loss coming against Toronto. So I don't think he enjoys losing, but I think he may one of those types of players that wants to win on his terms (i.e. he's getting a lot of usage). The problem is Butler and Simmons are the same way.

« Reply #1659 on: January 04, 2019, 04:32:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Seems like you can take the jerk out of Minnesota, or Chicago, and it won't change the fact that he's a jerk.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1660 on: January 04, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Seems like you can take the jerk out of Minnesota, or Chicago, and it won't change the fact that he's a jerk.

Marquette too. I remember reading he and Crowder had issues while they were teammates.

« Reply #1661 on: January 04, 2019, 04:36:16 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

That doesn't sound like it is a slam dunk he will resign...
No one has ever said it was a slam dunk that he'll resign with them.  I do think Butler is right that he needs to be better integrated into the offense by running more pick and rolls and even ISOs.  The Sixers were last in pick and rolls last season and I doubt they have improved much this season. 

« Reply #1662 on: January 04, 2019, 05:22:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Are we sure Brett Brown should be coaching that team?  Guy seems like a hack to me.  The complaints from both Embiid and Butler seemed warranted.  Typically guys like Brett don't last post tank-job and honestly, while it was admirable as hell that Tatum, Jaylen, Rozier, Horford and the rest played as well as they did, Brett Brown probably should have been fired for getting owned in the 2nd round like that.  Philly definitely had the talent to win that series and it wasn't even close.  They showed up unprepared and got kicked in the teeth.  Maybe they shouldn't have celebrated their 1st round victory like a championship parade.  https://youtu.be/iNn3yWclCqw?t=73

Might be time they go out and get themselves a big-boy coach.   If they fail to make it to the Conference Finals this year despite having 3 all-star level players, I'd be shocked to see Brett coaching the team next season.

« Reply #1663 on: January 04, 2019, 05:36:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Are we sure Brett Brown should be coaching that team?  Guy seems like a hack to me.  The complaints from both Embiid and Butler seemed warranted.  Typically guys like Brett don't last post tank-job and honestly, while it was admirable as hell that Tatum, Jaylen, Rozier, Horford and the rest played as well as they did, Brett Brown probably should have been fired for getting owned in the 2nd round like that.  Philly definitely had the talent to win that series and it wasn't even close.  They showed up unprepared and got kicked in the teeth.  Maybe they shouldn't have celebrated their 1st round victory like a championship parade.  https://youtu.be/iNn3yWclCqw?t=73

Might be time they go out and get themselves a big-boy coach.   If they fail to make it to the Conference Finals this year despite having 3 all-star level players, I'd be shocked to see Brett coaching the team next season.

Yeah honestly I don't get why the media hypes up Brett Brown so much like he's a superstar coach. Hell, folks still have many issues with Brad Stevens and his style/decisions sometimes (and some are definitely warranted but some are also ridiculous), but Brown is nothing more than a solid coach to me (a guy who can help a team win a lot of games but probably not anything further than a 2nd round unless the team is stacked, which no team is on paper besides Golden State right now who happen to also be struggling a little lately).

I'm actually kinda glad someone else thinks this way about Brown. I thought of posting something like that here but thought it would sound biased and very controversial  :P

The Sixers could use another star to get to the next step but finding a new coach would also do wonders for them IMHO.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1664 on: January 04, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lol, exactly. Causing issues wherever he goes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)