Author Topic: Celtics (1-1) at 76ers (0-1) Preseason Game #3 10/11/23  (Read 9627 times)

Celtics (1-1) at 76ers (0-1) Preseason Game #3 10/11/23
« on: October 10, 2023, 10:17:27 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11847
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (1-1) at Philadelphia 76ers (0-1)
Wednesday,  October 11, 2023
7:00 PM ET
Preseason Game #3
TV: NBA-TV, NBCSB, NBCSP
Radio:  97.5 The Fanatic
Wells Fargo Center

Probable Celtics Starters

PG:  Jrue Holiday
SG:  Derrick White
SF:  Jaylen Brown
PF:  Jayson Tatum
C:   Kristaps Porzingis 

Celtics Reserves

Delano Banton
Oshae Brissett
JD Davison (2 Way)
Wenyen Gabriel
Sam Hauser
Al Horford
Luke Kornet
Svi Mykhailiuk
Payton Pritchard
Neemias Queta (2 Way)
Lamar Stevens
DJ Steward
Jordan Walsh

Injuries/Out
Jay Scrubb (ACL) out

Head Coach
Joe Mazzulla

Probable 76ers Starters

PG:  Patrick Beverley
SG:  Tyrese Maxey
SF:  Tobias Harris
PF:  PJ Tucker
C:   Joel Embiid

76ers Reserves
Mo Bamba
De'Anthony Melton
Kelly Oubre, Jr
Jaden Springer
Danny Green
Ricky Council IV (2 Way)
Azuolas Tubelis (2 Way)
Terquavion Smith (2 Way)
Danuel House, Jr
David Duke, Jr
Furkan Korkmaz
Filip Petrusev
Javonte Smart
Paul Reed

Injuries/Out
Montrezl Harrell (Knee) out
James Harden (personal) questionable
Furkan Korkmaz (leg) questionable

Head Coach

Nick Nurse

Game Notes
The Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers face each other for the second time in the preseason.   The Celtics won the first matchup 114-106 on Sunday in Boston and now they face off again in Philadelphia.  The Celtics played their starters between 20 and 26 minutes in that game, but the 76ers rested Joel Embiid, Furkan Korkmaz, James Harden and De'Anthony Melton for the contest. 

This is the second game for the Celtics, having played back to back games on Sunday and Monday.  This is also the 3rd game in 4 nights for the Celtics.  They rested their top 6 players on Monday so it's tough to figure out if they will all play in this game or if Joe Mazzulla will lean heavily on the reserves once again.  The 76ers haven't played since Sunday,  so I'm guessing that Embiid will play.  James Harden is a little tougher to predict since he is still hoping to be traded. 

The Celtics reserves and end of the bench players did a good job of hanging with the Knicks on Monday, especially since the Knicks were playing their starters regular minutes.  It is hard to predict who will play and who will start for either team since the coaches are both trying different lineups and rotations and resting starters so as to try to avoid injury in the preseason. 

Jay Scrubb is out for the Celtics after tearing his ACL in practice.  Furkan Korkmaz is listed as questionable with a leg injury.   Montrezl Harrell is out with a knee injury.  James Harden is questionable for personal reasons as he continues to hope for a trade from the 76ers.  I'm guessing on the starting lineups once again but really don't know what direction these coaches are going to go in this game. 

Key Matchups
vs
Derrick White vs Tyrese Maxey
Maxey played very well in Sunday's game between these two teams.  He finished with 24 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists.  If Mazzulla decides to go with double bigs in this one, Jaylen Brown will be matched with him at shooting guard.   Either way,  the Celtics need to slow Maxey down.

vs
Kristaps Porzingis vs Joel Embiid 
We did not get to see this matchup in Sunday's game as Embiid was held out for rest. Hopefully Embiid plays in this one and we get to see this matchup.  Even if both players start, they may not play big minutes but however many minutes they play will be fun to watch. 

Honorable Mention

Payton Pritchard vs Jaden Springer
Springer had 14 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal off the bench for Philadelphia on Sunday.  Payton Pritchard has played very well in both of the Celtics games so far.  Hopefully he gets minutes and puts up a 3rd big game for the Celtics. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Whether it is the first game of preseason, or the final game of the NBA Finals,  defense is always the key to winning.  Both Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown have declared that they want to make the All Defensive team.  Jrue Holiday brings a defensive mindset to the game.  Joe Mazzulla has said that he will emphasize defense more often in practices this season and has said that all of the Celtics are buying into playing defense.  Let's hope the Celtics follow through with this and reclaim their defensive identity this season.

Rebound - The Celtics can't score if they don't have the ball, and the best way to get the ball is the grab rebounds.  They have lost some of their rebounding with Timelord playing in Portland but at 7'3",  Kristaps Porzingis should be able to grab rebounds.  So far they have outrebounded Philly by 1 and New York by 11.  The Celtics need to rebound as a team with every Celtic battling on the boards.  It will take a team effort to beat the 76ers on the boards. 

Reserve Play - With the starters likely to be playing light minutes if they play,  the Celtics will need to lean heavily on their reserves once again.   How will the new players like Banton, Brissett, Walsh, Mykhailiuk and Gabriel do as they get more minutes for the Celtics?  How will returning players like Luke Kornet, Sam Hauser, and Payton Pritchard do as they seek to be leaders off the bench as Celtics veterans.   

Chemistry -  Chemistry and continuity are both important to teams trying to win a championship.  The Celtics have several new players to work into the team and to build chemistry with. So far, they seem to be doing a good job in that area.  They have the continuity of the same head coach and key players returning.  The 76ers have a new coach and a new system to get acclimated to.  They have the uncertainty of James Harden's situation to overcome,  but they also have many of the same key players returning. 

X-Factors
Preseason - It's the preseason and most of the time coaches don't care if they win or lose but are looking for improvement in players, which rotations work, which players on the cusp will stick with the team and keeping their key players healthy.  In the end,  hopefully both teams stay healthy and we see some good things from starters and reserves alike. 

Re: Celtics (1-1) at 76ers (0-1) Preseason Game #3 10/11/23
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 10:25:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I haven’t been first in forever. Great job FLC and beat Philly!!

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 10:26:11 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11847
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  jambr380    for being the first to  post in the game thread!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!

Beat the 76ers (again)!!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 10:50:52 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811
Let's go Preseason Cs!  Ready for game #3 and our starters. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 11:03:38 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Three games in four days?  That feels like a lot for preseason, but sure, I like basketball!

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 06:26:30 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
Three games in four days?  That feels like a lot for preseason, but sure, I like basketball!

The next (last) one isn't for another week so hopefully they get a break  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 08:55:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I usually watch games on the iPad but this one deserves the big screen in the basement man-cave.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 05:59:24 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
We get White - Holiday - Hauser - Horford - Porzingis tonight. No Tatum or Brown.

I'm excited for this! I can't really watch tonight unfortunately but I'm excited to test the ultimate luxury -- to have no Tatum or Brown and still have two offensive engines, two above average role player starters, and a shooter. Embiid and Harden aren't playing but it'll be a nice test to see how this type of lineup functions.

In the past, it would've been Smart - White - Hauser - Horford - Williams (either one) which doesn't have any offensive engines or Brogdon instead of Smart I suppose which wouldn't have been much better. Lineups where pretty much every guy is a role player. Having your two top guys out and still running Jrue and Porzingis is really cool.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 06:00:59 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
So Nurse is still hiding Joel from us so he doesn't suffer additional trauma?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 06:25:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Why would we sit the Jays? At least we get to see KP and Jrue, but don’t you want these guys to start getting reps together? Makes no sense to me, especially after resting them all the other night.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 06:55:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
GAME TIME!!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 06:57:36 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811
Looking for a big game from the big guy...KP!  Go Cs.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 07:04:21 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Looking for a big game from the big guy...KP!  Go Cs.

He's probably going to play the 1st half. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a little 1st quarter burn.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2023, 07:13:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Great shot!

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2023, 07:13:45 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
KP's shot is smooth for a 7 footer. I always think its going in.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman