Author Topic: Tennis Thread  (Read 129902 times)

Re: Men's Tennis dominated by 3 or 4 men
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2022, 04:07:59 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
I was hoping that Celtics fan Kyrgios would somehow pull it out.

I love Nick. He’s volatile and polarizing, but his matches are always highly entertaining. He’s really good for the sport. As you mentioned, Kyrgios is a huge Celtics fan and has been since he was a kid. Nick was rocking Celtics jerseys and shirts throughout the tournament. He’s great.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2022, 05:36:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Djokovic back tied with Nadal after winning his 7th Wimbledon and 21st Grand Slam.  He'd probably be a couple ahead had he just got vaccinated but he will probably end up a few clear of Nadal anyway.  Men's tennis needs some new blood as the old guys just keep on winning everything.

Novak was only banned from the Australian Open. He played and lost to Nadal at the French Open. Djokovic may not be able to play at the US open due to his vaccination status. Rafa is injured with a torn abdominal muscle; so he could potentially miss the last major of the year as well. I’m hoping they are both there and healthy. These two legends aren’t going to be around for much longer.
yeah but Nadal won the Aussie without Djokovic and I kind of feel like the whole Aussie ordeal cost Djoker the French. Even if he would have still lost the French, he almost certainly would have won the Aussie and would be in the lead right now.

The Australian open is in January and the French Open isn’t until mid May. I don’t see the logic there. Also, It’s not even close to a certainty that Novak would have won the AO. He lost to Medvedev at the US Open last year and Nadal leads Djokovic 11–7 in matches at majors.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2022, 05:47:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I love Nick. He’s volatile and polarizing, but his matches are always highly entertaining. He’s really good for the sport. As you mentioned, Kyrgios is a huge Celtics fan and has been since he was a kid. Nick was rocking Celtics jerseys and shirts throughout the tournament. He’s great.

He'll be coming home to face the music over domestic violence charges. Would prefer he don a different teams gear
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2022, 06:22:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Djokovic back tied with Nadal after winning his 7th Wimbledon and 21st Grand Slam.  He'd probably be a couple ahead had he just got vaccinated but he will probably end up a few clear of Nadal anyway.  Men's tennis needs some new blood as the old guys just keep on winning everything.

Novak was only banned from the Australian Open. He played and lost to Nadal at the French Open. Djokovic may not be able to play at the US open due to his vaccination status. Rafa is injured with a torn abdominal muscle; so he could potentially miss the last major of the year as well. I’m hoping they are both there and healthy. These two legends aren’t going to be around for much longer.
yeah but Nadal won the Aussie without Djokovic and I kind of feel like the whole Aussie ordeal cost Djoker the French. Even if he would have still lost the French, he almost certainly would have won the Aussie and would be in the lead right now.

The Australian open is in January and the French Open isn’t until mid May. I don’t see the logic there. Also, It’s not even close to a certainty that Novak would have won the AO. He lost to Medvedev at the US Open last year and Nadal leads Djokovic 11–7 in matches at majors.
Novak has won 9 Aussie Opens and had won the last 3.  It would have been an amazing upset for anyone to beat him there. Could happen, but unlikely. 

As for the French, I feel like the whole Aussie ordeal took a lot out of him and he started his year late.  He seemed pretty rusty that whole tournament.  He was the defending champion and had beaten Nadal rather easily the prior year so I think it could have had a different result had he had a more normal year.

Of course all of that is own fault and now Novak isn't going to play the next 2 majors without some major rule changes either. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2022, 06:32:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

He'll be coming home to face the music over domestic violence charges. Would prefer he don a different teams gear

Guilty until proven innocent? There has been very little information regarding the accusation, unlike the Miles Bridges incident which seems clear cut. They did recently interview Nicks former girlfriend who is also a pro tennis player that dated him for several years and she stated that she’d never experienced that with him. So who knows.

Tomljanović and Kyrgios had a two-year relationship that reportedly ended in 2017.

"Sorry to start on this subject," the reporter began. "What was your experience of being in a relationship with him?"

Tomljanović had every right to refuse the question, but did her best to acknowledge the seriousness of the alleged incident as well as distancing her own relationship and experience from it.

"It's been a while since our relationship ended," she answered.

Obviously I've always kept my relationship very private. I would like to keep it like that.

"I'm definitely against domestic violence. I hope it gets resolved. But, yeah, I mean, I haven't had that experience with him."

« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 06:46:49 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2022, 07:00:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Guilty until proven innocent? There has been very little information regarding the accusation, unlike the Miles Bridges incident which seems clear cut. They did recently interview Nicks former girlfriend who is also a pro tennis player that dated him for several years and she stated that she’d never experienced that with him. So who knows.

Tomljanović and Kyrgios had a two-year relationship that reportedly ended in 2017.

"Sorry to start on this subject," the reporter began. "What was your experience of being in a relationship with him?"

Tomljanović had every right to refuse the question, but did her best to acknowledge the seriousness of the alleged incident as well as distancing her own relationship and experience from it.

Obviously I've always kept my relationship very private. I would like to keep it like that.

"I'm definitely against domestic violence. I hope it gets resolved. But, yeah, I mean, I haven't had that experience with him."

Given how reliable the justice system is in cases of violence against women, it really isn't so cut and dry.

Regardless, Kyrgios is an old fashioned flog, as are most of the good Australian men's tennis players.

« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2022, 09:15:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Given how reliable the justice system is in cases of violence against women, it really isn't so cut and dry.

Regardless, Kyrgios is an old fashioned flog, as are most of the good Australian men's tennis players.

I don’t know what Flog means in that sense, but he definitely is controversial in general. No question about that..

« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2022, 10:05:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I don’t know what Flog means in that sense, but he definitely is controversial in general. No question about that..
Ah, it might be a particularly Australian term of dislike. Apologies

« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2022, 11:31:44 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Just remembered that Wimbledon was stripped of ATP points this year due to them not allowing any Russian or Belarusian players to compete. The tournament director explained that they didn’t want them to be able to use the success of their players in the tournament as propaganda. Also, the Royal family presents the championship trophy to the winner and I’m sure they didn’t want to be seen handing it to a Russian player. The female player that won moved to Kazakhstan a few years ago, but was Russian born so the Soviet government still used it as propaganda stating that she was, “Our Product”. Smh.

Without there being any ATP points awarded, Djokovic moves all the way down to 7th in the rankings and he’s now 3000 points behind Medvedev, 2000 points behind Zverev and 1400 points behind Nadal. Novak’s draws are going to much more difficult…
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 11:44:44 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2022, 11:40:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Just remembered that Wimbledon was stripped of ATP points this year due to them not allowing any Russian or Belarusian players to compete. The tournament director explained that they didn’t want them to be able to use the success of their players in the tournament as propaganda. Also, the Royal family hands the championship trophy to the winner and I’m sure they didn’t want to be seen handing the it to a Russian player. So the female player that won moved to Kazakhstan a few years ago, but was Russian born so the Soviet government still used it as propaganda stating that she was, “Our Product”. Smh.

Without there being any ATP points awarded, Djokovic moves all the way down to 7th in the rankings and he’s now 3000 points behind Medvedev, 2000 points behind Zverev and 1400 points behind Rafa. Novak’s draws are going to much more difficult…
Novak is basically done for the year.  The next time he will play consistently will be in the leadup to the French Open next year.  He may very well enter the French ranked in the 20's or 30's, which obviously makes his draw tougher, but also isn't really fair to the people that he will play (and likely beat) much earlier in the tournament then they should face him.

« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2022, 12:30:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Just remembered that Wimbledon was stripped of ATP points this year due to them not allowing any Russian or Belarusian players to compete. The tournament director explained that they didn’t want them to be able to use the success of their players in the tournament as propaganda. Also, the Royal family hands the championship trophy to the winner and I’m sure they didn’t want to be seen handing the it to a Russian player. So the female player that won moved to Kazakhstan a few years ago, but was Russian born so the Soviet government still used it as propaganda stating that she was, “Our Product”. Smh.

Without there being any ATP points awarded, Djokovic moves all the way down to 7th in the rankings and he’s now 3000 points behind Medvedev, 2000 points behind Zverev and 1400 points behind Rafa. Novak’s draws are going to much more difficult…
Novak is basically done for the year.  The next time he will play consistently will be in the leadup to the French Open next year.  He may very well enter the French ranked in the 20's or 30's, which obviously makes his draw tougher, but also isn't really fair to the people that he will play (and likely beat) much earlier in the tournament then they should face him.

There’s still a lot for Novak to play for this season. There are six 500 series tournaments and four 1000 series left. If he wins two of the Master series, that’s 2000 pts which is the same amount you get for winning a major. He can get himself into much better positioning going into next year, which will make his seeding more favorable for the 2023 Australian Open. Plus, I’m sure he wants to play in the Nitto ATP Finals this season which only allows the top 8 ranked players in the world.

« Reply #236 on: July 11, 2022, 01:48:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

There’s still a lot for Novak to play for this season. There are six 500 series tournaments and four 1000 series left. If he wins two of the Master series, that’s 2000 pts which is the same amount you get for winning a major. He can get himself into much better positioning going into next year, which will make his seeding more favorable for the 2023 Australian Open. Plus, I’m sure he wants to play in the Nitto ATP Finals this season which only allows the top 8 ranked players in the world.
Well he has said he is taking at least the next couple of weeks off and he currently can't enter the US, Australia, Canada, and a few other countries.  So that eliminates two of the 1000 series tournaments right there i.e. the Canadien Open and Cincinnati Masters.  No US Open.  No Aussie Open.  Of the 500 series left, you've got Hamburg in a couple of weeks, but that is seemingly when Novak says he is still on vacation.  Then you have the Citi Open which is in DC so he is out of that.  The final 2 are the Swiss Indoors and Vienna Open leading up to the Paris Masters, ATP next gen, and atp finals at the end of the year.  He will probably play those in October and November, but won't play again until after the Australian Open next in February of next year.  There are obviously some ATP 250 events he can play, but just not that many, especially if he is going to take the next few weeks off. 

« Reply #237 on: July 11, 2022, 04:44:00 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Well he has said he is taking at least the next couple of weeks off and he currently can't enter the US, Australia, Canada, and a few other countries.  So that eliminates two of the 1000 series tournaments right there i.e. the Canadien Open and Cincinnati Masters.  No US Open.  No Aussie Open.  Of the 500 series left, you've got Hamburg in a couple of weeks, but that is seemingly when Novak says he is still on vacation.  Then you have the Citi Open which is in DC so he is out of that.  The final 2 are the Swiss Indoors and Vienna Open leading up to the Paris Masters, ATP next gen, and atp finals at the end of the year.  He will probably play those in October and November, but won't play again until after the Australian Open next in February of next year.  There are obviously some ATP 250 events he can play, but just not that many, especially if he is going to take the next few weeks off.

I know NY has had a strict policy regarding being vaccinated (I had to show my vax card before I could enter the US Open grounds last year), but I’m not sure what the policies will be for the tournaments in Cincy or DC. He may be able to play in those.

« Reply #238 on: July 11, 2022, 04:53:23 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I know NY has had a strict policy regarding being vaccinated (I had to show my vax card before I could enter the US Open grounds last year), but I’m not sure what the policies will be for the tournaments in Cincy or DC. He may be able to play in those.

You can't enter the US by air as a non-citizen who's unvaccinated, so it's not a NY vs. DC thing.  He probably can't get to Canada either.  It's unclear if the rules of multiple nations would permit him to fly to Mexico and drive across the border, but I don't think he's up for that anyway.

« Reply #239 on: July 11, 2022, 07:18:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I know NY has had a strict policy regarding being vaccinated :laugh: (I had to show my vax card before I could enter the US Open grounds last year), but I’m not sure what the policies will be for the tournaments in Cincy or DC. He may be able to play in those.

You can't enter the US by air as a non-citizen who's unvaccinated, so it's not a NY vs. DC thing.  He probably can't get to Canada either.  It's unclear if the rules of multiple nations would permit him to fly to Mexico and drive across the border, but I don't think he's up for that anyway.

He could also sail his yacht over...  :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 08:00:10 PM by Goldstar88 »