Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 131459 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #450 on: February 26, 2024, 12:08:29 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Several members of the team reached out to Griffin back during the team’s West Coast trip in December I’m told about a potential return. However, the outreach from the Celtics has continued in recent weeks. “I texted him actually a week ago or two jokingly being like, ‘Coming back for one last ride?’ He says he’s enjoying his life,” Pritchard said. Show host Dan Katz then proceeded to call up Griffin during the appearance with Pritchard and White, deflecting when asked about a potential return later this season. “We talk quite a bit,” Griffin said. “I’m just enjoying my life right now guys.” – via Booth Newspapers

When pressed about why Blake Griffin isn’t suiting up with the team this season, Payton Pritchard and Derrick White acknowledged that the team’s roster has tried to get him back to Boston. “I don’t know. We begged him to,” Pritchard told PMT. “I think the whole team has been begging him to,’ White added. – via Booth Newspapers
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #451 on: February 26, 2024, 12:16:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not sure that there's much playing time for him -- it's hard enough getting Tillman into games -- but I'd be happy to have him back.  He seemed like a positive influence.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #452 on: February 26, 2024, 12:19:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Just sign him and IT and give them rings when they win it all  ;)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #453 on: February 26, 2024, 12:34:49 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993
I'm not sure that there's much playing time for him -- it's hard enough getting Tillman into games -- but I'd be happy to have him back.  He seemed like a positive influence.

I don’t think he’s holding out for playing time — it sounds like he doesn’t even want practice time.  But I do hope he comes back for a Udonis Haslem role — based on how much his teammates from last year want him back, he’s undoubtedly been a good locker room presence.

« Reply #454 on: February 26, 2024, 01:47:17 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'd love to have him back for his leadership and locker-room presence. He's also not the worst option for emergency depth.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #455 on: February 26, 2024, 06:15:40 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2560
I'd love to have him back for his leadership and locker-room presence. He's also not the worst option for emergency depth.

If he plays a role in keeping their heads on straight - especially if they get out ahead in a series, it’ll be worth it to have him back. I’m not sure that he’s that kind of influence.  They need guys who are going to be miserable till the final buzzer - intense, foot to the floor, no let up till the mission’s accomplished. Blake seemed like a good guy - affable, fun, positive, but not sure about the relentless intensity.  I’m wondering if Tillman may bring some of that. I know he won’t be in a leadership role, but he seems to have that hard-nosed fight every minute mentally.

« Reply #456 on: February 27, 2024, 02:57:39 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402

Yup he's the exact player I would waste a roster spot for, because of his influence in the locker room, and doesn't care about PT at all.

That said, with his knee problems, I'm sure it really hurts getting up in the morning, and I'm sure he doesn't miss going to training  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #457 on: February 27, 2024, 08:44:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The 2024 NBA All-Star Game provided an example of Tatum and Brown's bond, and how much the Boston Celtics' stars want to see each other succeed. On the latest episode of The Ringer's Bill Simmons Podcast, Simmons relayed an anecdote he heard from an NBA executive about Tatum putting his own ambitions to the side so that his Celtics teammate could make a run at the game's MVP award.

"At the All-Star Game, when everyone was going for MVP ... the East was up 20, so (Damian Lillard) was in there and (Tyrese) Haliburton and Jaylen Brown were going for it," Simmons said. "And Tatum went to (East head coach) Doc Rivers and said, 'Give Jaylen my minutes. I want to see him win MVP.'"

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #458 on: February 27, 2024, 01:15:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
Again, not saying I think Holliday isn’t an upgrade over Brogdon. But if your point is that it is Holliday’s first season on the Celtics. It was also Brogdon’s first season on the Celtics. Holliday has not played like an All-Star for the Celtics this season. He has been a very efficient and solid player, but not even better than Derrick White.

I view Holliday as an excellent player. But he is not indispensable. It is debatable if that was the best possible trade of those assets. It was a good trade. Just maybe not the best trade.

I think Holiday is light years ahead of Brogdon in terms on the almighty intangibles.  He just seems to give us an edge and confidence that Brogdon will never give a team.  Whether that's just a product of opportunity or a true character attribute is debatable, but I truly believe we're a much better team because of Jrue's presence.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 03:18:28 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #459 on: February 27, 2024, 01:24:56 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
Again, not saying I think Holliday isn’t an upgrade over Brogdon. But if your point is that it is Holliday’s first season on the Celtics. It was also Brogdon’s first season on the Celtics. Holliday has not played like an All-Star for the Celtics this season. He has been a very efficient and solid player, but not even better than Derrick White.

I view Holliday as an excellent player. But he is not indispensable. It is debatable if that was the best possible trade of those assets. It was a good trade. Just maybe not the best trade.

I think Holiday is light years ahead of Brogdon in terms on the almighty intangibles.  He just seems to give us an edge and confidence that Brogdon will never give a time.  Whether that's just a product of opportunity and a true character attribute is debatable, but I truly believe we're a much better team because of Jrue's presence.

Totally agree.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #460 on: February 27, 2024, 01:53:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I think Holiday is light years ahead of Brogdon in terms on the almighty intangibles.  He just seems to give us an edge and confidence that Brogdon will never give a time.  Whether that's just a product of opportunity and a true character attribute is debatable, but I truly believe we're a much better team because of Jrue's presence.

Totally agree.

Me too. 

« Reply #461 on: February 27, 2024, 01:57:59 PM »

Online celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Several members of the team reached out to Griffin back during the team’s West Coast trip in December I’m told about a potential return. However, the outreach from the Celtics has continued in recent weeks. “I texted him actually a week ago or two jokingly being like, ‘Coming back for one last ride?’ He says he’s enjoying his life,” Pritchard said. Show host Dan Katz then proceeded to call up Griffin during the appearance with Pritchard and White, deflecting when asked about a potential return later this season. “We talk quite a bit,” Griffin said. “I’m just enjoying my life right now guys.” – via Booth Newspapers

When pressed about why Blake Griffin isn’t suiting up with the team this season, Payton Pritchard and Derrick White acknowledged that the team’s roster has tried to get him back to Boston. “I don’t know. We begged him to,” Pritchard told PMT. “I think the whole team has been begging him to,’ White added. – via Booth Newspapers

I guess I am a bit surprised that with our record and how good we have looked he wouldn't want the chance to get a ring if his teammates want him around that much.

« Reply #462 on: February 27, 2024, 02:49:31 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4595

I guess I am a bit surprised that with our record and how good we have looked he wouldn't want the chance to get a ring if his teammates want him around that much.

I wonder if there's a pride element to it.  Sure everyone wants to win a championship, but how many guys want to win a championship without actually playing in the playoffs? After appearing in only 1 playoff game last year (for <6 minutes, in the first round), I'm sure Griffin sees the writing on the wall, and knows it's very likely he won't get any minutes even if the C's make it all the way to the Finals.   

When I think of ring chasers like David West, Ray Allen, Gary Payton, Karl Malone, PJ Brown, Sam Cassell, they were all still playing meaningful roles and in the playoff rotation.  Not too many ring chasers come to mind that don't play at all or barely played (TMac unsuccessfully in '13, Mitch Richmond successfully in  '02 do come to mind).  Probably easier for a career role player like Scal or Haslem to accept that kind of role, as opposed to a former star like Griffin.

But maybe not even pride.  Maybe just a cost/benefit analysis.  It's a lot of work to get and stay in NBA shape, a lot of travel, and maybe winning a ring as the 15th man who doesn't play in the playoffs just doesn't seem like much of a benefit to a guy like Griffin.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #463 on: February 27, 2024, 02:57:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Here's what Joe said:

“When he told me at the end of last year that his family was the most important thing, I stopped talking to him about it because I know what it’s like to be away from your kids and away from your family,” Mazzulla told reporters, per The Athletic’s Jared Weiss.

I can understand not wanting to miss seeing your kids grow up, especially where he has joint custody.

« Reply #464 on: February 28, 2024, 11:34:17 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is awesome news.

The Athletic NBA

@TheAthleticNBA
Jrue Holiday is expected to be among the 12 members of Team USA’s roster for the 2024 Olympics, sources tell
@ShamsCharania

and
@joevardon

Team officials have valued Holiday’s two-way ability, point-of-attack defense and dynamic playmaking.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team