Author Topic: Have To Admit, It's Becoming Difficult...  (Read 5267 times)

Re: Have To Admit, It's Becoming Difficult...
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 06:55:58 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Here's some interesting stats:

Pre-AD trade demand the Celtics were 31-19. Including being 21-9 after the 10-10 start.

Post-AD trade demand the Celtics are at 12-12.

I guess after all the trials and tribulations they experienced early in the season with Hayward being force fed minutes and the young guys being told to take lesser roles, they had somehow managed to overcome that and go 21-9. Then AD made his trade demand and it looks like it was the tipping point for the team's chemistry to totally crumble.
or the schedule strength just increased and the team is basically the same as it always was just with an increased strength of schedule.

Schedule matters.  That has been overlooked on this board all year long.  When Boston had that nice run in the middle of the season, it directly correlated with the weakest part of the schedule.  The schedule on either side was much more difficult, which correlated to the .500 record.

Really hard to say. They went 3-1 on their west coast trip, and they’ve barfed up big leads to teams like the hornets.

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 07:50:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When going gets tough, the fair winds stopping blowing. 

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 08:00:39 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Pre-AD trade demand the Celtics were 31-19. Including being 21-9 after the 10-10 start.

I guess after all the trials and tribulations they experienced early in the season with Hayward being force fed minutes and the young guys being told to take lesser roles, they had somehow managed to overcome that and go 21-9. Then AD made his trade demand and it looks like it was the tipping point for the team's chemistry to totally crumble.

Yeah that's one reason i'm not big on him. Something about him rubs me the wrong way.

He destroyed us and the Lakers, because Lebron had them over 10 games above .500 at that point.

I wouldn't reward that guy for that. Like it was just so hard to play for a couple more months making millions that he couldn't bear it anymore.

If we do get him, it's gonna take me a long while to warm to him.

Sorta like Xavier McDaniel :)

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2019, 08:15:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah that's one reason i'm not big on him. Something about him rubs me the wrong way.

He destroyed us and the Lakers, because Lebron had them over 10 games above .500 at that point.

I wouldn't reward that guy for that. Like it was just so hard to play for a couple more months making millions that he couldn't bear it anymore.

I definitely believe Klutch (or specifically Rich Paul) is way more to blame than AD. Paul knew we wouldn't be able to trade for him this season unless we moved Kyrie, so he tried to force NOLA into moving him to LA. Now AD's value is lesser, and LA most likely won't be able to trade for him due to their pieces being all under injury clouds
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 08:22:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

AD made his play this year so he could waste one less season of his life and go to the post-season.  He has seen what Lebron has done each of the last 8 years so why wouldn't he want to give it a shot? Unfortunately, it blew up in his face as well as the Lakers and Celtics. The useless Rose Rule essentially ruined three franchises this season and that should be addressed at the next CBA. I am not saying we would have absolutely gotten him, but our best offer would have been on the table and NOP at least would have had the ability to choose between us and the Lakers.

It really stinks about Brandon Ingram's mysterious ailment (I truly do wish him the best - that has to be terrifying), but with Tatum's value recently taking a nosedive, at least we are still in the mix. Does anybody really want to move forward with what we have at this point?

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 09:00:43 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

I definitely believe Klutch (or specifically Rich Paul) is way more to blame than AD. Paul knew we wouldn't be able to trade for him this season unless we moved Kyrie, so he tried to force NOLA into moving him to LA. Now AD's value is lesser, and LA most likely won't be able to trade for him due to their pieces being all under injury clouds

Yeah, I have more of a problem with that guy, but I truly believe Davis wants to be in LA and feel it's a waste of time for us.

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

AD made his play this year so he could waste one less season of his life and go to the post-season.  He has seen what Lebron has done each of the last 8 years so why wouldn't he want to give it a shot? Unfortunately, it blew up in his face as well as the Lakers and Celtics. The useless Rose Rule essentially ruined three franchises this season and that should be addressed at the next CBA. I am not saying we would have absolutely gotten him, but our best offer would have been on the table and NOP at least would have had the ability to choose between us and the Lakers.

It really stinks about Brandon Ingram's mysterious ailment (I truly do wish him the best - that has to be terrifying), but with Tatum's value recently taking a nosedive, at least we are still in the mix. Does anybody really want to move forward with what we have at this point?

Well...I actually do because I think our main problem behind the switching defense is Kyrie not distributing the ball. I'm not really mad at him for that because I understand it. I had the exact same mentality :) But I was never a point, so...

I saw this problem last year, too. The difference is Kyrie was more open to the system and tried to fit in early...then later on wasn't there so it disappeared after that.  But there was many times it looked to me like he didn't want Jayson...I dunno...it was just weird and I don't want to speculate, but SOMETHING was there and I feel it's gonna carry over to next year too.

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

or the schedule strength just increased and the team is basically the same as it always was just with an increased strength of schedule.

Schedule matters.  That has been overlooked on this board all year long.  When Boston had that nice run in the middle of the season, it directly correlated with the weakest part of the schedule.  The schedule on either side was much more difficult, which correlated to the .500 record.

Really hard to say. They went 3-1 on their west coast trip, and they’ve barfed up big leads to teams like the hornets.
small sample size.  Here is Boston's record broken down into 10 game sections with the amount of games against playoff teams in ()

6-4 (8)
4-6 (4)
8-2 (1)
7-3 (6)
6-4 (6)
6-4 (6)
6-4 (5)

0-4 (3 - 5 of next 6 are also playoff teams)

Obviously not all of the playoff teams are created equal.  For example, the 7-3 stretch with 6 playoff teams the 3 losses were Milwaukee, Houston, and San Antonio and the 3 playoff wins were Philly, Brooklyn, and Indiana (though with Oladipo). The 8-2 stretch the only playoff team was Detroit who Boston lost to, along with Phoenix. 

Schedule matters.  It has always mattered.  Boston is and has been basically the same team all season long which is a team that wins about 58% of its games.  It is around .500 against the playoff teams and makes up the ground against the non-playoff teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2019, 07:08:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm beginning to think there isn't even a point in trading for AD. For one, he's a rental so there's already that risk. But second, are we really sure a trade for AD is getting us to the Finals? There unfortunately seems to be more problems with this team as it seems and it doesn't look like before where you could say we're a great team, just 1 Anthony Davis away.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 07:18:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm beginning to think there isn't even a point in trading for AD. For one, he's a rental so there's already that risk. But second, are we really sure a trade for AD is getting us to the Finals? There unfortunately seems to be more problems with this team as it seems and it doesn't look like before where you could say we're a great team, just 1 Anthony Davis away.

If we trade for AD, I think you would need to look at it almost like it's a completely new team.

I'm assuming that if a trade for AD goes down, that means Kyrie stays.

I don't know who would end up being in the trade, but it seems likely that the package would be Tatum, Smart, and some collection of other assets e.g. RWlliams and various picks.

My feeling is that if the Celts trade for AD and keep Kyrie, they need to clear the roster of as many of the young players as possible, perhaps with the exception of Brown if he isn't included in the trade, and fill out the back end of the roster with veterans.

Kyrie + AD with a supporting cast featuring Horford, Hayward, Brown, and a bunch of veterans could perhaps be the formula for a contender.  A lot would depend on the chemistry mix, which would be determined by the cadre of veterans the team brought in to fill out the remaining 2/3 of the roster.

It's clear from this year that if the chemistry isn't right and the team doesn't play like a cohesive unit, they are not "just 1 Anthony Davis away," as you say.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 07:24:53 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

This team minus Tatum/smart/etc plus Davis is a great team. I think thats inarguable. As for the trade talk and how it affected the team, I’m sorry, but that isn’t an excuse. Other teams don’t crumble because of trade rumors. Kyrie has taken a huge amount of grief in terms of media rumors and he’s had a rock solid season in terms of stats. If Tatum (for example) is sad because of trade rumors or something, sorry dude, welcome to the league.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 07:34:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

If we trade for AD, I think you would need to look at it almost like it's a completely new team.

I don't know who would end up being in the trade, but it seems likely that the package would be Tatum, Smart, and some collection of other assets e.g. RWlliams and various picks.

My feeling is that if the Celts trade for AD and keep Kyrie, they need to clear the roster of as many of the young players as possible, perhaps with the exception of Brown if he isn't included in the trade, and fill out the back end of the roster with veterans.

Kyrie + AD with a supporting cast featuring Horford, Hayward, Brown, and a bunch of veterans could perhaps be the formula for a contender.  A lot would depend on the chemistry mix, which would be determined by the cadre of veterans the team brought in to fill out the remaining 2/3 of the roster.

It's clear from this year that if the chemistry isn't right and the team doesn't play like a cohesive unit, they are not "just 1 Anthony Davis away," as you say.
I think trading for Davis and keeping Kyrie while trading away Tatum, Smart and Williams while moving on from Morris and Rozier creates a natural hierarchy with defined roles.

1. Davis
1A. Or 2. Kyrie
3A. Hayward
3B. Brown
5 Horford
Everyone else fall into their bench roles

It gets rid of the youth vs vets dynamic and sets up clearly defined roles behind the 2 superstars and puts each starter into a role they are all very well suited for and won't try to break out of. That's been a huge reason for this season's problems: poorly defined roles that players didn't fit into and didn't want to be in and a division in the locker room

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 07:42:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think trading for Davis and keeping Kyrie while trading away Tatum, Smart and Williams while moving on from Morris and Rozier creates a natural hierarchy with defined roles.

1. Davis
1A. Or 2. Kyrie
3A. Hayward
3B. Brown
5 Horford

It gets rid of the youth vs vets dynamic and sets up clearly defined roles behind the 2 superstars and puts each starter into a role they are all very well suited for and won't try to break out of. That's been a huge reason for this season's problems: poorly defined roles that players didn't fit into and didn't want to be in and a division in the locker room
This is where I'm at too. Currently we have Kyrie as option 1, and then seemingly a random order from there.

If AD came, I'd love for our FGA to look something like

AD - 18-20
Kyrie - 16-18
Hayward - 12-14
Brown - 12-14
Horford - 10

Then the rest have very little, sort of like GSW
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 07:46:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

1. Davis
1A. Or 2. Kyrie
3A. Hayward
3B. Brown
5 Horford

This is where I'm at too. Currently we have Kyrie as option 1, and then seemingly a random order from there.

If AD came, I'd love for our FGA to look something like

AD - 18-20
Kyrie - 16-18
Hayward - 12-14
Brown - 12-14
Horford - 10

Then the rest have very little, sort of like GSW
This sounds good. And, if everything is being done right, Al, Kyrie and Gordon would all lead the team in assists with like 5 each.

Also, this offense should be able to generate a ton of FTs from Davis, Brown and Hayward. At least, they won't be anywhere near 29th in the league in FTA.

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 08:04:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

1. Davis
1A. Or 2. Kyrie
3A. Hayward
3B. Brown
5 Horford

TPs to both you and Pho - I have thought the very same thing about hierarchy and being a 'new team' altogether. Without Tatum, Morris, and Rozier, we would have a much different dynamic moving forward.

We have too many iso-heavy players on this team right now that it becomes awkward for guys like Hayward and Brown to really get into a groove. Brown has been much better at putting his mark on the game as of late while Hayward has been up and down in this regard. I would really like to see a team where these two move up the totem pole a couple of notches, while at the same time, we have two no-doubt superstars leading the way.

The best shot is the open shot is nice in theory, but when you have so many guys who think they are the best shot no matter what, the offense can fall apart pretty quickly. I don't think we have been as horrible as others have stated, but we could be much better, and acquiring AD would go a long way in pushing us toward contention.