Author Topic: Jaylen Brown was offered 4 years $80M  (Read 30859 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown was offered 4 years $80M
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 10:01:48 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I went on the record months ago predicting this simple 3 step process:

1.  Celtics will lowball Brown in Contract negotiations
2.  A team will offer him a max-deal in free agency
3.  The Celtics will act publicly shocked and refuse to match because of the luxury tax implications

Step 1 completed.

I highly doubt that. Either Ainge plans to match any offer for Brown this summer, or he trades him by February. There's no way he let's him walk this summer.

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 10:01:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Buddy Hield apparently just got offered $90m/4yrs for comparison.
Hield is worth more
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Basically what the Celts are offering is similar to that of Rozier's.

I was expecting the Celts to offer around 23m per year.

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 10:04:35 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I went on the record months ago predicting this simple 3 step process:

1.  Celtics will lowball Brown in Contract negotiations
2.  A team will offer him a max-deal in free agency
3.  The Celtics will act publicly shocked and refuse to match because of the luxury tax implications

Step 1 completed.

I highly doubt that. Either Ainge plans to match any offer for Brown this summer, or he trades him by February. There's no way he let's him walk this summer.

I agree.

Celts gave up the #8 pick of 2018 for Kyrie and the Celts ended up getting nothing in return when Kyrie left.

Al Horford also left and the Celts got nothing in return.

No way Ainge lets the #3 pick of 2016 leave without getting something significant in return.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:11:49 PM by Fierce1 »

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 10:06:32 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Hield is worth more

Hield wants 110m.

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2019, 10:06:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Its a very good deal for Brown but surprise he turned it down..i wouldnt budge..if he goes in the future, oh well, theres alot of better players out there
can you provide some examples of players you think are better than Brown considering what he can do now, his remaining upside (expected improvements) AND is cheaper than what Danny offered AND will be available?

I suspect you'll have difficulty finding an example with 3 of those qualities, never mind all 4.
If Terry Rozier got what he got then this is pretty terrible for Brown. Especially if Brown continues to show what he's displayed in pre-season - improved handling and offensive decision-making.
Rozier got a 3 year contract that decreases every season with an average of 18.9 million (again decreasing every year) and went to a team that had no way to add him, without a trade and since they were trading out a max player had to have a high initial salary.  That is a worse offer than 4 years, 80 million and was only offered because of the weird trade situation the two teams found themselves in.

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2019, 10:08:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Hield is worth more

Hield wants 110m.
I meant Hield is worth more than Brown. 

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Hield is worth more

Hield wants 110m.

True.

Hield averaged 20.7 points per game last season.

Jaylen has never averaged more than 14.5 points per game his career.
That's why I don't think he's a max player.

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think it is a pretty fair offer at this point, and Brown wouldn't be wrong either way, in terms of either taking it or declining it.

Benefits of Signing: Has 80 million guaranteed; set for multiple lives, no worries; takes him through his age 23, 25, 26, 27 seasons; all set to sign a Max Deal at a higher scale right at his likely peak. Avoids the potential of regression/stagnation causing lower offers later.

Benefits of waiting: "Betting on himself;" keeps open the chance of snagging a max deal.

For the Celtics:

Benefits of offering 80/4 now: Lock him in at below max if he continues to improve.
Downside: Blows out his knee in year 4 after contract is signed; never improves.

What I generally believe is there is basically no benefit for the Celtics to offer a max deal now before next offseason. That chance will always be on the table. If he doesn't take a moderate discount, fine; if he plays like a star this year, he will still be an unrestricted free agent with Celtics having the right to match any offer, max or otherwise. The only downside would be if Jaylen is so offended at not getting a max offer, that, to spite the Celtics, he just takes the QO to play a 5th season for the Celts then become a UFA just on principal.

Personally, I hope he has a season that "earns" him a max contract offer in the next offseason.

I am mildly worried about him in terms of becoming a "STAR." I haven't seen DPOY level defense, though he can continue to improve. PER (flawed, I acknowledge) was pretty stagnant last year, a significant level below that of typical "stars." I worry his 3 point shooting is a bit fluky given his consistently mediocre free throw percentages. Hope I'm wrong and he takes it up another level!

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 10:17:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Its a very good deal for Brown but surprise he turned it down..i wouldnt budge..if he goes in the future, oh well, theres alot of better players out there
can you provide some examples of players you think are better than Brown considering what he can do now, his remaining upside (expected improvements) AND is cheaper than what Danny offered AND will be available?

I suspect you'll have difficulty finding an example with 3 of those qualities, never mind all 4.
If Terry Rozier got what he got then this is pretty terrible for Brown. Especially if Brown continues to show what he's displayed in pre-season - improved handling and offensive decision-making.
Rozier got a 3 year contract that decreases every season with an average of 18.9 million (again decreasing every year) and went to a team that had no way to add him, without a trade and since they were trading out a max player had to have a high initial salary.  That is a worse offer than 4 years, 80 million and was only offered because of the weird trade situation the two teams found themselves in.
Yeah, it is a worse offer, but Rozier is a considerably worse player, who is older, who has shown to be nothing more than an average NBA starter.
Hield is worth more

Hield wants 110m.

True.

Buddy Hield is also turning 27 in two months, and is a much worse defender than Brown.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2019, 10:21:50 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Yeah, it is a worse offer, but Rozier is a considerably worse player, who is older, who has shown to be nothing more than an average NBA starter.
Hield is worth more

Hield wants 110m.

True.

Buddy Hield is also turning 27 in two months, and is a much worse defender than Brown.

Celts are win now mode.

By signing Kemba, Celts are trying to win now.

I don't know what happened to Ainge's plan of building around Tatum and Brown when Kyrie left.

Celts would've been able to sign Brown the max if Ainge didn't give Kemba 34m per year.

Regarding Hield's age, Hield is not asking for the max.
He's only asking for 110m for 4 years.
Simmons and Murray got the max.
So Hield is not being unreasonable.

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2019, 10:33:05 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Hield is worth more

Hield wants 110m.

True.

Celts are win now mode.

By signing Kemba, Celts are trying to win now.

I don't know what happened to Ainge's plan of building around Tatum and Brown when Kyrie left.

Celts would've been able to sign Brown the max if Ainge didn't give Kemba 34m per year.

Regarding Hield's age, Hield is not asking for the max.
He's only asking for 110m for 4 years.
Simmons and Murray got the max.
So Hield is not being unreasonable.

Maybe he just doesn't see Brown as a max player.

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2019, 10:33:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
But it was a unique circumstance and not Rozier's actual value.  Everyone knows this.  And yes Rozier is worse than Brown, but let's not pretend Brown has shown even all star potential.  He hasn't.  At least not on a basketball court for any extended period of time.  He had a nice run a couple of seasons back in the playoffs (though Rozier was right there with him), but he has never really strung it together for long stretches of time.
Hield is also a much better offensive player and offense is more important than defense.  Right now, Hield is worth more than Brown.  Now maybe Brown takes a huge leap and puts his offensive game together better and surpasses Hield, or maybe he is who has been for the last couple of seasons i.e. a good defender who is incredibly inconsistent on offense. 

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2019, 10:38:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
But it was a unique circumstance and not Rozier's actual value.  Everyone knows this.  And yes Rozier is worse than Brown, but let's not pretend Brown has shown even all star potential.  He hasn't.  At least not on a basketball court for any extended period of time.  He had a nice run a couple of seasons back in the playoffs (though Rozier was right there with him), but he has never really strung it together for long stretches of time.
Yeah, everyone is aware of that, but I also think everyone is pretty aware of the fact that letting Brown go for nothing is stupid asset management. I get if people want to trade him to try and balance the roster more (for a big-man, for example), but letting him walk for nothing would be foolish in my book.
Hield is also a much better offensive player and offense is more important than defense.  Right now, Hield is worth more than Brown.  Now maybe Brown takes a huge leap and puts his offensive game together better and surpasses Hield, or maybe he is who has been for the last couple of seasons i.e. a good defender who is incredibly inconsistent on offense.
I'm completely okay with putting my money on the guy who is 4 years younger, with a better athletic profile, who has also shown offensive poise in the playoffs.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2019, 10:40:42 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Massive underpay for Brown, there's no way he's taking a 50% discount to sign an extension.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA