Author Topic: New Thinking Basketball YouTube video: off ball movement  (Read 1311 times)

New Thinking Basketball YouTube video: off ball movement
« on: April 18, 2020, 12:06:16 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
https://youtu.be/QUZr26cpR8w

Great video about the value of off ball movement and how it shouldn't be viewed as a negative term when describing a player. It talks about some of the great off ball players in the history of the game, eg. Curry, Allen, Miller, Bird, etc and how they use off ball movement to add value to their offence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: New Thinking Basketball YouTube video: off ball movement
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 08:45:28 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48

Great video about the value of off ball movement and how it shouldn't be viewed as a negative term when describing a player. It talks about some of the great off ball players in the history of the game, eg. Curry, Allen, Miller, Bird, etc and how they use off ball movement to add value to their offence.

I think it's viewed as a negative term because nowadays players think once they give the ball up their job is done (not necessarily in the NBA but at a youth level). As a coach there's nothing I love more than off ball movement and misdirection.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 09:37:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m curious, how is off-ball movement viewed as a negative attribute?  Who views it that way?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 10:46:16 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I think it's viewed as a negative term because nowadays players think once they give the ball up their job is done (not necessarily in the NBA but at a youth level). As a coach there's nothing I love more than off ball movement and misdirection.
Yeah agreed, the lack of movement regarding some on ball engines in the modern game is maddening. And as a fan who's really just starting to pore over tape and trying to analyse who's doing what in games I'm starting to love off ball movement as well - it's incredibly portable and hard to guard.
I’m curious, how is off-ball movement viewed as a negative attribute?  Who views it that way?
Some people go ballistic when a player who mainly uses off ball movement to create openings for himself and his teammates gets described as an off ball player simply due to the fact that he's also a wizard on the ball who occasionally gets looks to handle the ball on the wing or the perimeter to create (it's like the term off ball player is derogatory to players in that sweet spot lol). Being a wizard on the ball doesn't change the fact that say player A used the bulk of his time to set up defences with his off ball movement by constantly cutting, spinning, sealing and banging with defenders to create advantageous positioning before he catches the ball, nor does it change the fact that a good chunk of his offence also came from flying off screens to initiate quick attacks besides the aforementioned post/inside game.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:51:59 PM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA