Author Topic: Kenny Atkinson moving on from Nets  (Read 11208 times)

Re: Kenny Atkinson moving on from Nets
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 11:02:13 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2020, 11:23:04 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Very disappointing as an NBA fan.  I hope Atkinson has success with a new franchise.  The Knicks should strongly consider bringing him in for their rebuild.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 11:27:05 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
They went from being the bottom of the league without any assets/draft pick in sight to becoming a playoff team. They built a foundation and Atkinson was at the helm. He was very successful, held his players accountable, good personality, and committed to turning around the franchise + being liked by everyone in FO.

He liked guys that played hard, and the guys played hard for him. Last year’s Nets were an absolute joy to watch. I’m stumped as to why exactly he’s gone all of a sudden, but I guess considering KD/Kyrie's temperament, they probably didn't like him as much. People complained about him giving up the most blown double leads in the NBA, but... I think that is more on personnel than anything.

He'll be picked up by a team soon. Knicks/Bulls would be wise to hop on this chance. If Fizdale can get multiple opportunities, so will Atkinson.

EDIT: Actually pretty dumb considering KD said Atkinson was a huge reason for his arrival.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2020, 11:34:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Nets are a case study in the modern NBA.

They drafted well, made smart trades, cleared cap space, hired a good coach who got his team to overachieve...

... and then they got two “superstars” and changed everything that had previously been working  to appease them.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 11:41:24 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Per Woj,

Sean Marks and Atkinson had several conversations and the sense had been that a change was inevitable and both sides decided that there was no sense waiting on it. Both had felt that Atkinson and Nets had run course together. They have maintained a close relationship.

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://nesn.com/2020/03/nba-rumors-some-nets-players-wanted-kenny-atkinson-fired-as-coach/

NBA Rumors: Nets Players (Kyrie Irving?) Wanted Kenny Atkinson Fired As Coach

Good guess. And if true, what else is new with short Lebron wannabe

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 12:05:49 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
According to a source, Joe Tsai made the call to fire Kenny Atkinson after consulting with players.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 12:24:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
https://twitter.com/APOOCH/status/1236303637820911619?s=20
Some = Kyrie and/or Durant

No other players on that roster have the cache to pull off getting a very, very good coach canned.
That sounds most likely but why do it now?  KD and Kyrie aren't playing.  Doubt that they're interacting with Atkinson much.  No reason not to wait until the end of the season to fire Atkinson unless there is more to it.

The team was winning too much without Kyrie and KD, and Levert was looking like a superstar lately. Can't have that stuff going on, like what happened to Kyrie on the Celtics when he was out and the Tatum, Brown, Rozier squad almost made the Finals.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 12:34:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I always hated facing the Nets these past couple of years. Even though they didn't really have anybody of note on their roster, they always played tough and disciplined basketball. This can only be a good thing as a Cs fan moving forward. I would hate to see if he could elevate his coaching game with All-NBA players on the roster.

Sounds to me Atkinson knew he was getting fired this offseason and just said 'screw it - I'm out'. Can't disrespect the decision especially considering how well they were playing without Kyrie/KD. I'm confident he will find a job very soon and be successful with whatever kind of roster he is given.

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
https://twitter.com/APOOCH/status/1236303637820911619?s=20
Some = Kyrie and/or Durant

No other players on that roster have the cache to pull off getting a very, very good coach canned.
That sounds most likely but why do it now?  KD and Kyrie aren't playing.  Doubt that they're interacting with Atkinson much.  No reason not to wait until the end of the season to fire Atkinson unless there is more to it.

The team was winning too much without Kyrie and KD, and Levert was looking like a superstar lately. Can't have that stuff going on, like what happened to Kyrie on the Celtics when he was out and the Tatum, Brown, Rozier squad almost made the Finals.
They are 28-34 and 4-6 in the last 10 games.  That's hardly winning too much.  They ain't do anything in the playoffs. 

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 01:11:35 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm just stunned, here..

Kenny took that team and instilled a winning and competitive culture several years ago - when WE had their draft picks...

BKN had to watch Jayson, Jaylen and Smart (?) go to BOS instead of BKN....players they COULD / MAY have had..

Kenny made winners out of Caris, Dinwiddee, Allen...he developed those players and others...

Wow almost forgot about DeAngelo....made him an All-Star.

Quality coach. Steered BKN through some tough years.

Durant and Kyrie had BETTER bring it next season...no excuses...I'm not saying that THEY are the cause of this but the optics don't look good.

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 01:13:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Dude coached Kyrie for 6 months and basically, "aight I'm heading out."

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:40:09 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 01:46:00 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
How long is Ryan Saunders' job safe for in Minnesota? Given how Atkinson turned the Nets around and helped make D'Angelo Russell a star, I wonder if the T'Wolves may have an interest in KA next season.

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 01:48:01 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 01:50:30 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
https://nesn.com/2020/03/nba-rumors-some-nets-players-wanted-kenny-atkinson-fired-as-coach/

NBA Rumors: Nets Players (Kyrie Irving?) Wanted Kenny Atkinson Fired As Coach

Good guess. And if true, what else is new with short Lebron wannabe

rumors sure, but i wonder if he ever approached Ainge to have Stevens fired at any point?