Author Topic: Draymond: “I’ll steal Charles Barkley's job if criticism doesn't stop“  (Read 7805 times)

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
How was Dray more valuable to the Warriors than Klay, pre-KD? Sorry, I just saw a post saying DG was the 2nd most valuable player on the team after Steph. Without the Splash Bro’s, GSW is not a contender.
- LilRip

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
How was Dray more valuable to the Warriors than Klay, pre-KD? Sorry, I just saw a post saying DG was the 2nd most valuable player on the team after Steph. Without the Splash Bro’s, GSW is not a contender.
How was he not? He was the defensive anchor for that top Warrior defence and his synergistic relationship with Curry powered those historic Warrior offences. For all the flack that Draymond gets as a "complementary piece", Klay was even more of an auxiliary piece on those pre-KD Warrior squads (that doesn't make him a bad player, I think he was an All-NBA SG in those years, but Draymond was an All-NBA FC in 2015 and a top 10 player in 2016). His combination of elite defence and playmaking augmented with decent to good 3 point shooting in those couple of years was just an incredible package for any team with a quality creator.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
... there is a bevy of evidence out there that his best seasons were at an All-Star level at worst (and that's if you don't value defence and complementary offensive traits at all)

If you take away defense and complementary offensive traits, what does he add?
If you take away defence and complementary offensive traits from Bill Russell, what does he add? Russell was obviously an ATG with plenty of MVP calibre seasons, but his skillset wasn't all that different from Draymond's: elite defence and good passing.

You might as well ask what does Magic Johnson add if you take away his passing and scoring :laugh:.

Edit: nvm I saw your point, what I meant is that if even if you don't value them as highly as most analysts do (eg. 60/40 spread for offence/defence, passing from complementary offensive players unlocks great offences when they already have good creators). My bad, TP.

There is some delicious irony in saying Draymond can’t be overrated when he’s being compared to PJ Tucker and Robert Horry...and then comparing him to Bill Russell and Magic Johnson

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Yeah, sure Draymond, keep believing you're important enough to 'take' Barkley's job.

I'm not a big Barkley fan, but Dray only wishes he could be as relevant as Sir Charles.
To be fair Draymond's a legend in his own right at this point, he's stacked up half a decade's worth of All-NBA calibre play.

You’ve got to be joking, right?  Draymond Green is one of the most overrated players in NBA history and it’s been proven out when he doesn’t have Steph, Klay and KD to hind behind and make him look better.  Being the 4th best player on championship teams doesn’t make you special.  Barkley is one of the greatest power forwards in the history of the game and Green should respect that and just keep his “triple single” mouth shut.
You might be the one joking here if you think any All-NBA calibre player would've been able to drag the pile of crap GSW had this season before the trade deadline to relevancy. He was arguably the 2nd best player on that 2015 GSW team and was a top 10 player in 2016, the pre-KD Warriors would've never hit transcendence without him. He's no Barkley, but he's no Joe Schmoe either. He's got every right to flap his mouth when Barkley and people like you think that his "triple single" means that he's a bad player lol, you'd think an NBA legend who always talks about how statistics/analytics are crap at analysing the game would refrain from using the worst basketball statistic out there in the slash line to evaluate a player.
Lebron and Kobe come to mind when it comes dragging really bad teams. Draymond talks a lot of thrash for a guy who owes a lot of his success to playing with HOF players. I mean Charles Barkley may not have rings, but he's shown that he can be the best player on an contender constantly. The same cannot be said for Green who's probably is going to be the most overrated player of the season.
LeBron and Kobe were MVP calibre players (LeBron was even a tier above typical MVP players), an All-NBA calibre player isn't going to replicate what they did. Draymond talks a lot of trash because he's worthy of dishing it out, those HoF players owe their success to him as well, those pre-KD GSW teams would've never come close to hitting transcendence without Draymond's insanely additive skillset that would've provided massive lift on any quality squad. He was GSW's clear cut 2nd best player in those 2 years, his 2015 season was on par with Thompson's and he took his game to another level in 2016 (top 10 player that season imo) with an added three point shot. He lost his shot later on, but he was still a vital cog (he was as valuable as Thompson on the squad, if not more) even after the arrival of KD (GSW's insane point differentials correlated more with Curry/Draymond lineups than anyone else) as a stupidly valuable defensive big with elite playmaking chops.

He's hardly overrated when you have people comparing him to the likes of PJ Tucker and Robert Horry. Let's face it: he's getting severely underrated because he doesn't have a classic floor raising skillset.

Again it falls short when it shows him being the best player on a floundering Warriors and it makes him more pathetic when he’s trying to insinuate that he’s better then Barkley who carried teams while Draymond was carried by HOF players.

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Didn’t Green making fun of Pierce and how he wasn’t good without the big 3?

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Yeah, sure Draymond, keep believing you're important enough to 'take' Barkley's job.

I'm not a big Barkley fan, but Dray only wishes he could be as relevant as Sir Charles.
To be fair Draymond's a legend in his own right at this point, he's stacked up half a decade's worth of All-NBA calibre play.

You’ve got to be joking, right?  Draymond Green is one of the most overrated players in NBA history and it’s been proven out when he doesn’t have Steph, Klay and KD to hind behind and make him look better.  Being the 4th best player on championship teams doesn’t make you special.  Barkley is one of the greatest power forwards in the history of the game and Green should respect that and just keep his “triple single” mouth shut.
You might be the one joking here if you think any All-NBA calibre player would've been able to drag the pile of crap GSW had this season before the trade deadline to relevancy. He was arguably the 2nd best player on that 2015 GSW team and was a top 10 player in 2016, the pre-KD Warriors would've never hit transcendence without him. He's no Barkley, but he's no Joe Schmoe either. He's got every right to flap his mouth when Barkley and people like you think that his "triple single" means that he's a bad player lol, you'd think an NBA legend who always talks about how statistics/analytics are crap at analysing the game would refrain from using the worst basketball statistic out there in the slash line to evaluate a player.
Lebron and Kobe come to mind when it comes dragging really bad teams. Draymond talks a lot of thrash for a guy who owes a lot of his success to playing with HOF players. I mean Charles Barkley may not have rings, but he's shown that he can be the best player on an contender constantly. The same cannot be said for Green who's probably is going to be the most overrated player of the season.
LeBron and Kobe were MVP calibre players (LeBron was even a tier above typical MVP players), an All-NBA calibre player isn't going to replicate what they did. Draymond talks a lot of trash because he's worthy of dishing it out, those HoF players owe their success to him as well, those pre-KD GSW teams would've never come close to hitting transcendence without Draymond's insanely additive skillset that would've provided massive lift on any quality squad. He was GSW's clear cut 2nd best player in those 2 years, his 2015 season was on par with Thompson's and he took his game to another level in 2016 (top 10 player that season imo) with an added three point shot. He lost his shot later on, but he was still a vital cog (he was as valuable as Thompson on the squad, if not more) even after the arrival of KD (GSW's insane point differentials correlated more with Curry/Draymond lineups than anyone else) as a stupidly valuable defensive big with elite playmaking chops.

He's hardly overrated when you have people comparing him to the likes of PJ Tucker and Robert Horry. Let's face it: he's getting severely underrated because he doesn't have a classic floor raising skillset.

Again it falls short when it shows him being the best player on a floundering Warriors and it makes him more pathetic when he’s trying to insinuate that he’s better then Barkley who carried teams while Draymond was carried by HOF players.
Yeah he's biting off more than he can chew if he's talking about him being better than Barkley, but that doesn't make him not a superstar.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
... there is a bevy of evidence out there that his best seasons were at an All-Star level at worst (and that's if you don't value defence and complementary offensive traits at all)

If you take away defense and complementary offensive traits, what does he add?
If you take away defence and complementary offensive traits from Bill Russell, what does he add? Russell was obviously an ATG with plenty of MVP calibre seasons, but his skillset wasn't all that different from Draymond's: elite defence and good passing.

You might as well ask what does Magic Johnson add if you take away his passing and scoring :laugh:.

Edit: nvm I saw your point, what I meant is that if even if you don't value them as highly as most analysts do (eg. 60/40 spread for offence/defence, passing from complementary offensive players unlocks great offences when they already have good creators). My bad, TP.

There is some delicious irony in saying Draymond can’t be overrated when he’s being compared to PJ Tucker and Robert Horry...and then comparing him to Bill Russell and Magic Johnson
There are some delicious reading comprehension skills when miss me implying that Russell is levels better than Green (don't think I even need to clearly state the fact that Magic is way better than Green, you guys love your offensive quarterbacks).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Draymond Green is an all time great role player. Not on Barkley's level.
Dray is somewhere above Robert Horry but somewhere below Dennis Rodman.  Regardless of where on that spectrum he falls, he definitely isn't anywhere near being on Chuck's level.
I want some of the stuff you're smoking if you think Draymond Green is comparable to the likes of Robert Horry and is below Dennis Rodman. He's definitely not on Chuck's level, but to say that his peak seasons (2015-2017) were somewhere between a role player and All-Star is pretty ridiculous unless you only read the slash lines, there is a bevy of evidence out there that his best seasons were at an All-Star level at worst (and that's if you don't value defence and complementary offensive traits at all).

There's literally nothing I said there that isn't true.  Green is better than Horry but not as good a Rodman.  Whether he's closer to Rodman than Horry, or vice versa, isn't important to me.

Green was an elite role player, nothing more.  Not even remotely comparable to Barkley.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Draymond stepped in Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. getting drafted alongside two all-time great shooters. He’s a good player, but he wouldn’t sniff an all-star game had he not been put in such a great situation. He’d probably be a nice role player somewhere else, but let’s not make it out like he’d be a HoF’er on any team he played for.

He’s good at some things, bad at others. I personally don’t think his defense is otherworldly like some think it is.

I could understand putting up good numbers on a bad team (a la Towns), or bad numbers on a good team (Horford with us)... but he’s putting up bad numbers on a bad team, AND blatantly skipping games and supporting tanking, making him a giant hypocrite.

I never thought he was a great player, but this season cemented it. Steph and Klay would have been fine without him. He’d be nothing without them.
CELTICS 2024

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28879362

So, Charles is calling Draymond "Joey Fatone" now lol..

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Draymond Green is an all time great role player. Not on Barkley's level.
Dray is somewhere above Robert Horry but somewhere below Dennis Rodman.  Regardless of where on that spectrum he falls, he definitely isn't anywhere near being on Chuck's level.
I want some of the stuff you're smoking if you think Draymond Green is comparable to the likes of Robert Horry and is below Dennis Rodman. He's definitely not on Chuck's level, but to say that his peak seasons (2015-2017) were somewhere between a role player and All-Star is pretty ridiculous unless you only read the slash lines, there is a bevy of evidence out there that his best seasons were at an All-Star level at worst (and that's if you don't value defence and complementary offensive traits at all).

There's literally nothing I said there that isn't true.  Green is better than Horry but not as good a Rodman.  Whether he's closer to Rodman than Horry, or vice versa, isn't important to me.

Green was an elite role player, nothing more.  Not even remotely comparable to Barkley.
This is literally untrue :laugh:, but keep on thinking that Rodman and Green were role players because of counting stats.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

“He don't have a face for TV, he's got a face for radio." - Barkley on Draymonds comment

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1237427864523374592