Author Topic: Draymond: “I’ll steal Charles Barkley's job if criticism doesn't stop“  (Read 7804 times)

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Sure you will, Draymond "triple-single, leader of lottery teams" Green.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Yeah, sure Draymond, keep believing you're important enough to 'take' Barkley's job.

I'm not a big Barkley fan, but Dray only wishes he could be as relevant as Sir Charles.
To be fair Draymond's a legend in his own right at this point, he's stacked up half a decade's worth of All-NBA calibre play.

You’ve got to be joking, right?  Draymond Green is one of the most overrated players in NBA history and it’s been proven out when he doesn’t have Steph, Klay and KD to hind behind and make him look better.  Being the 4th best player on championship teams doesn’t make you special.  Barkley is one of the greatest power forwards in the history of the game and Green should respect that and just keep his “triple single” mouth shut.
You might be the one joking here if you think any All-NBA calibre player would've been able to drag the pile of crap GSW had this season before the trade deadline to relevancy. He was arguably the 2nd best player on that 2015 GSW team and was a top 10 player in 2016, the pre-KD Warriors would've never hit transcendence without him. He's no Barkley, but he's no Joe Schmoe either. He's got every right to flap his mouth when Barkley and people like you think that his "triple single" means that he's a bad player lol, you'd think an NBA legend who always talks about how statistics/analytics are crap at analysing the game would refrain from using the worst basketball statistic out there in the slash line to evaluate a player.

Lebron and Kobe come to mind when it comes dragging really bad teams. Draymond talks a lot of thrash for a guy who owes a lot of his success to playing with HOF players. I mean Charles Barkley may not have rings, but he's shown that he can be the best player on an contender constantly. The same cannot be said for Green who's probably is going to be the most overrated player of the season.

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 08:37:51 PM by alley oop »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Draymond Green is an all time great role player. Not on Barkley's level.

Draymond just turned 30. With his game/role, he might be hearing criticism for the next several years.

I'm glad people are finally seeing him on a bad team. I said for years, he's a great compliment to Steph and Klay, but he's not a star. Ask him to lead a team and he can't. Now we all know.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Dray is somewhere above Robert Horry but somewhere below Dennis Rodman.  Regardless of where on that spectrum he falls, he definitely isn't anywhere near being on Chuck's level.

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Put Green on another team and he be average..he needs stars to be good
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Put Green on another team and he be average..he needs stars to be good

He's basically on another team this year. Is he even average? That's debatable. He definitely needs stars.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Dray is somewhere above Robert Horry but somewhere below Dennis Rodman.  Regardless of where on that spectrum he falls, he definitely isn't anywhere near being on Chuck's level.
I want some of the stuff you're smoking if you think Draymond Green is comparable to the likes of Robert Horry and is below Dennis Rodman. He's definitely not on Chuck's level, but to say that his peak seasons (2015-2017) were somewhere between a role player and All-Star is pretty ridiculous unless you only read the slash lines, there is a bevy of evidence out there that his best seasons were at an All-Star level at worst (and that's if you don't value defence and complementary offensive traits at all).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
... there is a bevy of evidence out there that his best seasons were at an All-Star level at worst (and that's if you don't value defence and complementary offensive traits at all)

If you take away defense and complementary offensive traits, what does he add?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Yeah, sure Draymond, keep believing you're important enough to 'take' Barkley's job.

I'm not a big Barkley fan, but Dray only wishes he could be as relevant as Sir Charles.
To be fair Draymond's a legend in his own right at this point, he's stacked up half a decade's worth of All-NBA calibre play.

You’ve got to be joking, right?  Draymond Green is one of the most overrated players in NBA history and it’s been proven out when he doesn’t have Steph, Klay and KD to hind behind and make him look better.  Being the 4th best player on championship teams doesn’t make you special.  Barkley is one of the greatest power forwards in the history of the game and Green should respect that and just keep his “triple single” mouth shut.
You might be the one joking here if you think any All-NBA calibre player would've been able to drag the pile of crap GSW had this season before the trade deadline to relevancy. He was arguably the 2nd best player on that 2015 GSW team and was a top 10 player in 2016, the pre-KD Warriors would've never hit transcendence without him. He's no Barkley, but he's no Joe Schmoe either. He's got every right to flap his mouth when Barkley and people like you think that his "triple single" means that he's a bad player lol, you'd think an NBA legend who always talks about how statistics/analytics are crap at analysing the game would refrain from using the worst basketball statistic out there in the slash line to evaluate a player.
Lebron and Kobe come to mind when it comes dragging really bad teams. Draymond talks a lot of thrash for a guy who owes a lot of his success to playing with HOF players. I mean Charles Barkley may not have rings, but he's shown that he can be the best player on an contender constantly. The same cannot be said for Green who's probably is going to be the most overrated player of the season.
LeBron and Kobe were MVP calibre players (LeBron was even a tier above typical MVP players), an All-NBA calibre player isn't going to replicate what they did. Draymond talks a lot of trash because he's worthy of dishing it out, those HoF players owe their success to him as well, those pre-KD GSW teams would've never come close to hitting transcendence without Draymond's insanely additive skillset that would've provided massive lift on any quality squad. He was GSW's clear cut 2nd best player in those 2 years, his 2015 season was on par with Thompson's and he took his game to another level in 2016 (top 10 player that season imo) with an added three point shot. He lost his shot later on, but he was still a vital cog (he was as valuable as Thompson on the squad, if not more) even after the arrival of KD (GSW's insane point differentials correlated more with Curry/Draymond lineups than anyone else) as a stupidly valuable defensive big with elite playmaking chops.

He's hardly overrated when you have people comparing him to the likes of PJ Tucker and Robert Horry. Let's face it: he's getting severely underrated because he doesn't have a classic floor raising skillset.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:13:15 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
... there is a bevy of evidence out there that his best seasons were at an All-Star level at worst (and that's if you don't value defence and complementary offensive traits at all)

If you take away defense and complementary offensive traits, what does he add?
If you take away defence and complementary offensive traits from Bill Russell, what does he add? Russell was obviously an ATG with plenty of MVP calibre seasons, but his skillset wasn't all that different from Draymond's: elite defence and good passing.

You might as well ask what does Magic Johnson add if you take away his passing and scoring :laugh:.

Edit: nvm I saw your point, what I meant is that if even if you don't value them as highly as most analysts do (eg. 60/40 spread for offence/defence, passing from complementary offensive players unlocks great offences when they already have good creators). My bad, TP.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:25:51 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I will say the hate for Draymond Green has always amazed me.

Dray from '15-'16 was killer, 14.7/9.5/7.4 on 49/39/70 with 1.4/1.5 SPG/BPG is pretty freaking good. I would say that version of Draymond was no doubt top 15-20 player regular season.

Draymond is an elite role player, but he’s one of the best at it… He can engineer fast-break opportunities just by grabbing the defensive board, and his passing is also elite. When it is all said and done, the GSW will no doubt retire his number, and he’ll be one of the most important Warriors in the past 10 years.

I don’t get it.

Yes, he did decline a little bit. Yes, his main warts are his inability to create his own offense and shoot the ball. But from 2015-2018, he has played as a top 20 player in the playoffs and had two elite years where he was All-NBA caliber 15-17.

He isn’t a scorer. People need to get this out of their head. Players can still impact and generate wins without being scorers. He’s one of the best defenders in our recent era, and one of the best passing power forwards, and the energy/leadership he provides cannot just be measured by box scores.

The argument people constantly drum is that he can’t lead a team by himself.

Okay…..?  ??? ??? ??? ???

If you take off two players from your team, not to mention two of the greatest shooters of all time, then it's obvious that anyone else would struggle also..

But that isn’t his role.  He shows up in the playoffs, does extremely well, and leads the team by play making, defense, and being a leader.

Dray is a hot head, obnoxious, and sometimes has a tendency to hit people in the nuts. He's also a trash talker, so its no surprise that when provoked, he would respond. It doesn't mean he's right either. (I'm talking about in regards to Charles Barkley. Because he is completely wrong by all accounts lol.)

I want some of the stuff you're smoking if you think Draymond Green is comparable to the likes of Robert Horry and is below Dennis Rodman. He's definitely not on Chuck's level, but to say that his peak seasons (2015-2017) were somewhere between a role player and All-Star is pretty ridiculous unless you only read the slash lines, there is a bevy of evidence out there that his best seasons were at an All-Star level at worst (and that's if you don't value defence and complementary offensive traits at all).

Dray is better than Horry, but to each their own.

Although, I definitely have Rodman ranked over Dray any day. Rodman was a beast, and the absolute perfect glue guy. He guarded anyone, and even made Shaq's life tough.

I think Dray is a great defender, but I wonder how well he would be able to guard Shaq, the way Rodman managed to... I guess it is a wash depending on what you consider more important, elite rebounding or elite passing. Either way both players fit the roles perfectly for what team desired from their respective players.

___

Also going to leave this here. I think PJ Tucker has been one of the most underrated glue guys, and I wonder if he was put in a similar situation as Dray, if he could have somewhat similar impact. Not the ability to pass like Dray, but he definitely has some amazing defensive chops, and the fact he's never ever been in the conversation for All-Defensive at least once in his career astounds me also.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:26:40 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Dray from '15-'16 was killer, 14.7/9.5/7.4 on 49/39/70 with 1.4/1.5 SPG/BPG is pretty freaking good. I would say that version of Draymond was no doubt top 15-20 player regular season.

Draymond is an elite role player, but he’s one of the best at it… He can engineer fast-break opportunities just by grabbing the defensive board, and his passing is also elite. When it is all said and done, the GSW will no doubt retire his number, and he’ll be one of the most important Warriors in the past 10 years.

I don’t get it.

Yes, he did decline a little bit. Yes, his main warts are his inability to create his own offense and shoot the ball. But from 2015-2018, he has played as a top 20 player in the playoffs and had two elite years where he was All-NBA caliber 15-17.

He isn’t a scorer. People need to get this out of their head. Players can still impact and generate wins without being scorers. He’s one of the best defenders in our recent era, and one of the best passing power forwards, and the energy/leadership he provides cannot just be measured by box scores.

If you take off two players from your team, not to mention two of the greatest shooters of all time, then it's obvious that anyone else would struggle also..

But that isn’t his role.  He shows up in the playoffs, does extremely well, and leads the team by play making, defense, and being a leader.

Dray is a hot head, obnoxious, and sometimes has a tendency to hit people in the nuts. He's also a trash talker, so its no surprise that when provoked, he would respond. It doesn't mean he's right either. (I'm talking about in regards to Charles Barkley. Because he is completely wrong by all accounts lol.)

Although, I definitely have Rodman ranked over Dray any day. Rodman was a beast, and the absolute perfect glue guy. He guarded anyone, and even made Shaq's life tough.

I think Dray is a great defender, but I wonder how well he would be able to guard Shaq, the way Rodman managed to... I guess it is a wash depending on what you consider more important, elite rebounding or elite passing. Either way both players fit the roles perfectly for what team desired from their respective players.

___

Also going to leave this here. I think PJ Tucker has been one of the most underrated glue guys, and I wonder if he was put in a similar situation as Dray, if he could have somewhat similar impact. Not the ability to pass like Dray, but he definitely has some amazing defensive chops, and the fact he's never ever been in the conversation for All-Defensive at least once in his career astounds me also.
That's perfectly fine, I have Draymond ranked over Rodman but I think that they were in a similar range during their peaks (All-NBA to high end All-Star imo). But yeah at least we can agree that Draymond is an amazing player :laugh:, it's amazing to see how underrated he is.

Also I don't think that PJ could've approximated Draymond's defence on GSW. He really isn't the rim protector and perimeter defender that Draymond is (ntm defensive IQ and awareness). But yes it's astounding that he didn't receive All-Defensive honours at any point of his career, he's an amazing role player.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I don’t get it.

That's perfectly fine, I have Draymond ranked over Rodman but I think that they were in a similar range during their peaks (All-NBA to high end All-Star imo). But yeah at least we can agree that Draymond is an amazing player :laugh:, it's amazing to see how underrated he is.

Also I don't think that PJ could've approximated Draymond's defence on GSW. He really isn't the rim protector and perimeter defender that Draymond is (ntm defensive IQ and awareness).

I share similar sentiments also. I don't get how you can fall off a cliff in 1-2 years, just because you can't shoot or score. We are seriously underrating the heck out of this guy. People know what Dray provides exclusively, and GSW knows full and well.

I mean, heck, I would love Dray on this team. He would certainly be one of our best defenders, and I couldn't imagine how frustrated teams would be facing against Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Green on the defensive end.  :P

PJ Tucker isn't as good defensively as Dray, I just feel like he has never really received that much respect. It's a shame, because I would've also loved him here. Not to mention, his corner 3 has been downright ridonkculus.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I don’t get it.

Also I don't think that PJ could've approximated Draymond's defence on GSW. He really isn't the rim protector and perimeter defender that Draymond is (ntm defensive IQ and awareness).

I share similar sentiments also. I don't get how you can fall off a cliff in 1-2 years, just because you can't shoot or score. We are seriously underrating the heck out of this guy. People know what Dray provides exclusively, and GSW knows full and well.

I mean, heck, I would love Dray on this team. He would certainly be one of our best defenders, and I couldn't imagine how frustrated teams would be facing against Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Green on the defensive end.  :P

PJ Tucker isn't as good defensively as Dray, I just feel like he has never really received that much respect. It's a shame, because I would've also loved him here. Not to mention, his corner 3 has been downright ridonkculus.
Yeah his defence is still very strong for a big, I don't think he has meaningfully deteriorated as a player at all.

Draymond on the Celtics would probably put us over the hump, I can see us having a historic offence with him as our defensive anchor. His passing and screen setting would be a perfect fit with Walker as well :)

Yeah I agree, he's been flying under the radar for most of his career. I think people still latch onto the notion that big time scorers and skilled offensive players are infinitely more valuable than players who can fit perfectly next to high end creators and defend at a high level, and that's the main reason why guys like Marcus Smart/PJ Tucker/Robert Covington are still dismissed as easily replaceable role players.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA