Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 420554 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #780 on: May 13, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Man what a teaser at the tower. Fight changed only 2 kings guards? Excellent fight though. Also is it really shaggy dog? Or Umbers and Rickon plotting?

Is there any kind of clues to them teaming up in the books?

I also thought that didn't look big enough to be his dire wolf.

As far as I can recall there was nary a mention of Rickon after he separated in book one.

And yeh, that was kind of a tiny dire wolf head now that you mention it.
Davos is sent to Skagos by Wyman Manderly because Rickon is supposedly there, but you never actually see Rickon or have confirmation he is there.  If Davos brings Rickon to him, he will support Stannis.  That is in book 5.
Did you have to look that up, or did you just remember that? If you remembered it, that's impressive and you deserve a tp.
I remembered Wyman sent Davos after Rickon, couldn't remember where, but did recall it wasn't the Umbers. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #781 on: May 13, 2016, 11:03:07 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Man what a teaser at the tower. Fight changed only 2 kings guards? Excellent fight though. Also is it really shaggy dog? Or Umbers and Rickon plotting?

In the books the Umbers have several lords killed at the Red Wedding, so there's 0 chance they'd be forgiving the Boltons any time soon.  I don't believe they indicated that on the show, though.  EDIT:  And as Moranis notes Rickon's not with the Umbers in the books.

Speaking of Red Wedding absences, supposedly we're getting the Blackfish again this season?  And Edmure Tully too.  Wonder what they'll be doing with that, the Tullys are pretty much non-entities by this point.

« Reply #782 on: May 13, 2016, 11:44:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561

In the books the Umbers have several lords killed at the Red Wedding, so there's 0 chance they'd be forgiving the Boltons any time soon.  I don't believe they indicated that on the show, though.  EDIT:  And as Moranis notes Rickon's not with the Umbers in the books.

Speaking of Red Wedding absences, supposedly we're getting the Blackfish again this season?  And Edmure Tully too.  Wonder what they'll be doing with that, the Tullys are pretty much non-entities by this point.
My guess is riding North with Littlefinger
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #783 on: May 13, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

As far as I can recall there was nary a mention of Rickon after he separated in book one.

Apparently this theory has caught on quite a bit since the episode last night, especially with the lack of kneeling from Umber.

http://time.com/4322837/game-of-thrones-rickon-stark-direwolf-death-conspiracy/

I find it funny how much both of the actors of Bran and Rickon, especially Rickon, have aged since last seeing them lol That's what happens when you use kid actors and go seasons without utilizing them!
Noticed that the theory is being said by a lot of fans though I didn't get it from anyone. I am guessing many think a like is all. Also believe that is a great credit to the show if it is the Manderly storyline. As they came up with an plot intro that was much greater than Manderly, a house more established in show and they still doing that actual north remembers plotline.

Other theories I like are

Show ones
- Lady Stone Heart plot is merged with Sansa.
- Tyrion creating the siege to draw out the masters.
- Theon will bring over Dany
-Ben and Cold hands roles merge. Ben becomes LC of watch.

Books
-Tyrion is a Targaryen. Slightly like this one yet unlikely.
-R+L=JS, DT and AT triplets=three heads of the dragon.
-Cersei dies by Jamie's one hand.
-Reed merges with the tree. Bran heads to wall to warg fight.
-Little Finger dies by No One's hand and after she learns he started everything but only after. She then trust the role/faith completely.

« Reply #784 on: May 13, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Apparently this theory has caught on quite a bit since the episode last night, especially with the lack of kneeling from Umber.

http://time.com/4322837/game-of-thrones-rickon-stark-direwolf-death-conspiracy/

I find it funny how much both of the actors of Bran and Rickon, especially Rickon, have aged since last seeing them lol That's what happens when you use kid actors and go seasons without utilizing them!
Noticed that the theory is being said by a lot of fans though I didn't get it from anyone. I am guessing many think a like is all. Also believe that is a great credit to the show if it is the Manderly storyline. As they came up with an plot intro that was much greater than Manderly, a house more established in show and they still doing that actual north remembers plotline.

The Internet produces groupthink but the fact that an episode called "Oathbreaker" emphasized the Umbers refusing to swear one to the Boltons (and mentioned that they had sworn one to the Starks) is a pretty strong hint that they aren't on Ramsay's side.  Plus the fact that the last time we saw Umbers they were among Robb's strongest supporters.  I think there's probably something to it, they haven't really done anything from the "North remembers" stuff, outside of that one chambermaid who got killed.   

I did like Manderly's stuff in the book though, and he was well-established there.  But this would fit the show's tendency to try and hit the key storylines while shrinking the number of players involved in the overall story.

« Reply #785 on: May 15, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
2 questions guys. Could Dany go East and forget about the Iron throne? Someone needs to lead that front against the white walkers right? Or do you think white walkers won't advance that way due to asshai still standing in the way and the red waste + mountain forts there after?

« Reply #786 on: May 15, 2016, 02:58:32 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
2 questions guys. Could Dany go East and forget about the Iron throne? Someone needs to lead that front against the white walkers right? Or do you think white walkers won't advance that way due to asshai still standing in the way and the red waste + mountain forts there after?
i think she continues to go east until she is in westeros

Forgot her name, but there was that masked woman who said "to go west you must go east"
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #787 on: May 15, 2016, 04:11:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Quaithe is her name.

« Reply #788 on: May 15, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970

How do the white walkers get to Essos? They're from the northern parts of Westeros, and there's significant sea between even the closest points of the two continents. They can't swim there, and I haven't heard anything that they utilize ships. Perhaps in long, severe winters the sea freezes enough between The Fingers of Westeros and Bravos of Essos for them to walk across?

« Reply #789 on: May 15, 2016, 04:55:23 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #790 on: May 15, 2016, 05:33:53 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I could very easily see the show going with Lyanna to make it easier for fans to understand.  I think the books will probably go a different way.  Either way, I can't wait to see Aurthur Dayne and how badass he is, if Aurthor really dies, because in the books Jojen just tells Bran Aurthor would have killed Ned if his father, Howland Reed, didn't save him.  It doesn't say Howland killed Dayne.  Otherwise not taking Aurthur's bones back to his family is really disrespectful.

Still think it is Arthur Dayne's kid?   Did not Arthur Dayne say our prince is in the tower last night, that confirms Jon is Rhaegar's son.  I read the books and I think it is Jon, there is more evidence for it being Jon than otherwise. 

I suggest you read this webpage, all from the books, which you wrongly assume some of us have not read.   These are not fan theories they are parts of the book.   Hints.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4bzzo2807r2diz/RLJ%20Quotes%20(Version%204).pdf?dl=0

It is a theme that reoccurs in the books time and time again.   Then I point out this, the producers had to guess who Jon's mother was for Martin to let them do the show.

“Who is Jon Snow’s real mother?” Martin reportedly asked Weiss and Benioff. They said that they had been pitching ideas for the TV series for five hours before the author dropped the big question. They said that after studying the books for so long, they made an educated guess. Luckily, they guessed right and they were allowed to produce the massively successful show.

http://www.ibtimes.com/game-thrones-producers-correctly-guess-who-jon-snows-real-mother-2064983

You really think they are leading us towards this road, to make it simple?   I think we know who they guessed because they are showing us in the show.   The books are full of the hints, you missed.

Most people I know think it makes more sense this way.  The only people who don't are those who support Dany because they thought she would be the one.   There are three heads to the dragon.   Dany and Jon are two, most think Tyrion is the third.

because in the books Jojen just tells Bran Aurthor would have killed Ned if his father, Howland Reed, didn't save him.  It doesn't say Howland killed Dayne.  Otherwise not taking Aurthur's bones back to his family is really disrespectful.

He did save him, not in an honorable sense.    I will tell what any soldier will tell you, being honorable and chivalric, readd well in a book, but it can get you killed in a real fight.  Ned stated in books that he would have died without Howland.  The books state:

“   He would have killed me but for Howland Reed.[3]   ”
– Eddard Stark

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 21, Bran III.

I read it as the show directors did that Howland saved Ned's bacon in the fight.   How did you take that qoute?   It says a lot about you, who laud the books, yet seem to filter out what you do not like to suit your view.

I read it as he could have knocked him out.  He could have stopped the fight in some way.  Could have been a million ways, he didn't have to stab him in the neck.

But the reason I can't see Jon being R+L is because Jon doesn't have a single Targaryean quality.  The honorable Ned Stark was going to change kings because of hair color and yet Jon has black hair?  The entire premise of the story starts from Ned being led to the fact that Robert's kids wouldn't have golden harir.  It doesn't fit with Martin's entire concept of DNA.  Are there Targaryean's without any Targaryean features?  He doesn't have a fascination with fire.  He doesn't have purple eyes.  He doesn't have dragon dreams or obsessions about dragons.  I can't remember a single time Jon mentions a dragon.  How can Rheagar be his father?

Martin continually uses features passed down genetically to show lineage.  Arya, looks like her dad so Lady Dustin knows fake Arya is an imposter.  So in this one case for Martin to totally go in a different direction would make the premise of the origin of this upheaval in Westeros ridiculous.  He is so meticulous about leaving clues for parentage that Jon being without a single Rheagar trait would just ruin the entire book for me.

If he were Ashara Dayne's child with Brandon, then he would have dark hair and probably dark eyes, which last episode Edd noted were brown.  If he were Rheagar's child he would probably have dark eyes and pale blonde hair with black/brown streaks like Tyrion and other half blood Targs.  He would also have dragon obsessions like Tyrion and possible his mismatched eyes which at least one other Targ is known to have, Shiera.

So I don't just want Danny to be the savior because I'm not sure there will even be a savior.  Or if there is, that it would be just one person.  I would like consistency though.

« Reply #791 on: May 15, 2016, 06:06:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

How do the white walkers get to Essos? They're from the northern parts of Westeros, and there's significant sea between even the closest points of the two continents. They can't swim there, and I haven't heard anything that they utilize ships. Perhaps in long, severe winters the sea freezes enough between The Fingers of Westeros and Bravos of Essos for them to walk across?
Essos connects to the northern expanse by ice in the west past asshai when it's a great winter. There are supposed to be forts at mountain passes that are huge and like the wall meant to stop the walkers advance. It hasn't been brought up in the show yet.

« Reply #792 on: May 15, 2016, 11:02:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
Very rarely does a television program induce legit goosebumps.  I got some tonight when Sansa reunited with John.  Such a long road to get any of the Starks back together. Really the most hopeful episode in seasons.
Yup

« Reply #793 on: May 15, 2016, 11:38:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Very rarely does a television program induce legit goosebumps.  I got some tonight when Sansa reunited with John.  Such a long road to get any of the Starks back together. Really the most hopeful episode in seasons.

They mentioned in the Making of that it was the first time they'd even been together on camera.  Which sounds crazy but he did leave Winterfell in like Episode 2.

I'm really glad characters are starting to come back together again, instead of spiraling farther apart like they have for the past 4 seasons or so.

« Reply #794 on: May 16, 2016, 12:07:09 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970

Daenerys essentially single-handedly burned every Khal at the stake in the temple of Vaes Dothrak, ultimately claiming the entire Dothraki horde as her own - yet you got chills only when Sansa reunited with Jon?!  :P

Seriously, though, how awesome was that scene? So now does she take her horde back to Mereen and the other slave cities and kill the masters? I know the show has diverged quite a bit from the Mereen/masters narrative, but does the Greyjoy story stay the same with Victarion coming to Mereen as Daenerys is there with the horde now? Does "dragonbinder" make an appearance?? So many questions.