Poll

Role play or No

Kanter, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Kemba
28 (63.6%)
Literally any other combination of players
16 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Poll: Yes or No start a role player in starting five  (Read 7694 times)

Re: Poll: Yes or No start a role player in starting five
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2019, 11:41:26 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
As others have said, we have 5 players, Walker, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Smart, who have been starters playing 25-30 min/gm. 

Brad and the coaching staff have shown an iron discipline in keeping starters' minutes down in recent seasons, taking to heart San Antonio's good example.  Among other benefits, the wings can play in different combinations, and the scoring and shot-creation load can be spread out.  Walker especially will benefit from not having to make something happen every single possession for 35 minutes a night.

By the way, I don't agree with posters who claim that Hayward, Tatum, and Brown have duplicating skillsets.

Then we have Kanter who is on the bubble.  He has had seasons where he was a starter for up to 72 games and he has other seasons where he has not started any games.  For the last 6 seasons, he has averaged in the 24 minute range.  I think he is going to start for us and play 25+ minutes.  We have no choice.

I agree that there's no choice - almost, and that he'll get starter's minutes; at least until Timelord comes on line, he's the one choice as a starter.  I do not believe that Theis will be considered as a starter; but he has been effective in a role as the tenth man/third big. 

There has been a lot of debate about whether we should play with 1 big or 2 bigs essentially boiling down to whether or not Hayward should start.

Whether or not to play two bigs depends, I think, on when in the season you're talking about. At the beginning of the season are Theis, Poirier, or RW3 potential starters? Unlikely. One big to start the season.

I don't agree that this boils down to whether or not Hayward should start. I think that Hayward should come off the bench with a one-big starting lineup as well as a two-big starting lineup, and that Smart or Ojeleye should start, probably Smart (because he's a secondary ballhandler).

I am fine with Hayward coming off the bench.  He will still get his minutes/touches for sure.

Yes, for sure. I would only add that what Hayward brings is a lot more than scoring.

Another question could come down to starting Smart or Brown.  I find that I kind of default to Brown starting, Smart off the bench. Again, both these guys are going to get their minutes, it is more a question of in what combinations of players.  Smart has actually come right out and said he likes coming off the bench so this may end up being an easy decision.

I hadn't heard that from Smart, and while I'm not surprised at his team-oriented comment and his leadership (in taking a back seat, so to speak), I think as I said that he and Brown should both start.

Last season Brown and Hayward came off the bench after a disastrous beginning; the coaching staff singled out Brown for embracing the role and taking advantage of its opportunity.  Those two were regularly platooned together, and I thought that they developed some really good chemistry.

But we don’t have two legit bigs, maybe not even one so instead we have a sort of quarterback controversy (only it is a wing controversy).  We have too many and they can’t all play together

I don't agree that there are too many wings. Unlike football, where you can only play one quarterback at a time, there are lots of opportunities to get meaningful minutes for four starting-quality wings in a game.

Come on, Timelord. It's your time. Carpe diem, baby.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2019, 12:13:27 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Another question could come down to starting Smart or Brown.  I find that I kind of default to Brown starting, Smart off the bench. Again, both these guys are going to get their minutes, it is more a question of in what combinations of players.  Smart has actually come right out and said he likes coming off the bench so this may end up being an easy decision.

I hadn't heard that from Smart, and while I'm not surprised at his team-oriented comment and his leadership (in taking a back seat, so to speak), I think as I said that he and Brown should both start.

"Coach Stevens called me in and he was talking to me, and debating whether to start me or take me off the bench," Smart said after practice Tuesday afternoon. "I told him in that meeting to bring me off the bench: 'That's OK. You don't have to start me.'"

"On that second unit, we have a lot of guys that are new, younger and trying to learn Brad's philosophies on the offensive and defensive end. Guys are still learning plays. I've been here, so I know all the plays at every position. I'm coaching those guys and allowing those guys to figure it out, but they are also coming to me to help."

After tracking this down, I realized it was from two seasons ago not last season so his feelings on this may have changed.  As I though more about it, I think it was a game announcer that said he had talked to Marcus and that he said he likes coming off the bench because he gets a chance to see the game develop some before he come in.

In any case, I don't think both Smart and Brown will start.  They can certainly play together, maybe while Walker is being rested, but who knows.  Part of me thinks the best line up (starting or otherwise) will be:

Walker-Smart-Tatum-Kanter-Big2

That leave out some talent (Hayward and Brown) which is awkward but may be a necessary evil.  What we really need is for someone to step up and be that  Big-2 or Big-2 is going to end up being Hayward or Brown.  It would be awesome if Poirier steps in and turns out to be a true NBA level big.

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2019, 01:09:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
But we don’t have two legit bigs, maybe not even one so instead we have a sort of quarterback controversy (only it is a wing controversy).  We have too many and they can’t all play together

I don't agree that there are too many wings. Unlike football, where you can only play one quarterback at a time, there are lots of opportunities to get meaningful minutes for four starting-quality wings in a game.

Come on, Timelord. It's your time. Carpe diem, baby.

This is true of course in the strictest sense, it is not the same as a QB or a goalie where you really have one clear starter and then a back-up.  If taken collectively, there is a similarity to a football team that has two similar QBs.  At a point, there is a diminishing return.  You can play more than one wing of course but there is a point of diminishing return.  It is not like if you play 3 similar wings (say Brown, Tatum, Hayward) at the same time, that they will completely cancel each other out but in my opinion, you are going to diminish what each can contribute if they all play together.

This is our roster so Stevens is going to have to work it out.  Along the way, one of these wings may get traded for a big, who knows, or maybe one fringe bigs will emerge.  I think there are enough minutes for all the main guys spread over PG-SG-SF and a little PF (small ball) mixed in but the combinations may not always make everyone happy.  Some one (or maybe two) are going to have to sit and watch the ends of games.

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2019, 06:13:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm confused.  Isn't Kanter already a role player?

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2019, 06:56:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, I went down this road. KGLL came out and explained his real concern. It wasn't that a role player was already playing, it's that he doesn't like Hayward, Tatum and Brown playing together so wanted to take one out of the starting lineup and replace them with a "role player".

As long as Stevens has most of his top 5 man rotations with 2 of Kanter, Tatum, Brown, Hayward and Walker, I personally don't have a problem with that starting lineup. What I don't want to see is basically two teams out there, the starters and the bench.

Stevens did this a lot the last couple years because he had a lot of talent, a deep team, but this year he needs to stagger his rotation to have some starters always on the floor. He has to realize that after Smart, that bench is ridiculously inexperienced in the NBA with only Theis and Semi having more than a year familiarity in Stevens system.

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2019, 09:05:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Yeah, I went down this road. KGLL came out and explained his real concern. It wasn't that a role player was already playing, it's that he doesn't like Hayward, Tatum and Brown playing together so wanted to take one out of the starting lineup and replace them with a "role player".

As long as Stevens has most of his top 5 man rotations with 2 of Kanter, Tatum, Brown, Hayward and Walker, I personally don't have a problem with that starting lineup. What I don't want to see is basically two teams out there, the starters and the bench.

Stevens did this a lot the last couple years because he had a lot of talent, a deep team, but this year he needs to stagger his rotation to have some starters always on the floor. He has to realize that after Smart, that bench is ridiculously inexperienced in the NBA with only Theis and Semi having more than a year familiarity in Stevens system.
Kanter is, but he is also clearly the best bigman on the team.  I think his underlying point was, should the team start someone that is a worse talent than someone else for fit and other reasons. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2019, 09:30:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Kanter is, but he is also clearly the best bigman on the team.  I think his underlying point was, should the team start someone that is a worse talent than someone else for fit and other reasons.
No, it's pretty much what I said.

It could literally be anyone. I know this is going to be a landslide victory for the normal starting five but I really think one team oriented, non selfish guy should be added.

Example Smart, Grant Williams really hoping to see him in the starting lineup at some point. I would love to see Timelord get a chance but he's so raw.

Theis will get some  starts for sure perfect role player and shooter.

Any other ideas to play with the big four are welcomed with Tommy points 😉.
we really only have 6 players that would be options to start.  the only one not listed in the presumed starting 5 is Smart which would require one of Brown/Hayward/Tatum to come off the bench as a 'supersub'.   I really don't see anything else as a reasonable option at this point. 

it's not like last year when arguments could be made to start any of the following players with Kyrie and Al: Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Baynes, Morris.  We just don't have anyone that's proven anything on the bench this year and it's not like we have a known quantity in terms of performance level with even 4 of these guys starting yet where we could reasonably believe they could more than hold their own if the 5th starter was a weaker player/placeholder for a top 6th man coming off the bench.

I'm hoping that the rookies, Williams and Poirier all show great things this season so we're in a position to contemplate different options for a starting lineup next season.  I just don't see it this year.

Kanter is the starting center not a role player IMO. If Kanter is a role player than so was Horford.

Slam, I think there are other reasonable options. 

I just don't want to see Hayward, Brown, and Tatum playing major minutes together.

Hayward should be the man off the bench this year. Sixth man of the year winner or runner up.

IMO Brad will experiment with Smart, Timelord, Grant Williams, Porier, and Theis in the starting Lineup.

I really like the Grant Williams options. He brings Defense, Rebounding, screen setting, defensive communication is top notch, passing, shooting, everything but length and rim protection.

Kanter
GWill
Tatum
Brown
Kemba

Hayward, Smart, and if just one of the Romeo or Carsen Edwards can score this year that gives us lots of scoring off the bench.
See the bolded

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2019, 07:09:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

No, it's pretty much what I said.

It could literally be anyone. I know this is going to be a landslide victory for the normal starting five but I really think one team oriented, non selfish guy should be added.

Example Smart, Grant Williams really hoping to see him in the starting lineup at some point. I would love to see Timelord get a chance but he's so raw.

Theis will get some  starts for sure perfect role player and shooter.

Any other ideas to play with the big four are welcomed with Tommy points 😉.
we really only have 6 players that would be options to start.  the only one not listed in the presumed starting 5 is Smart which would require one of Brown/Hayward/Tatum to come off the bench as a 'supersub'.   I really don't see anything else as a reasonable option at this point. 

it's not like last year when arguments could be made to start any of the following players with Kyrie and Al: Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Baynes, Morris.  We just don't have anyone that's proven anything on the bench this year and it's not like we have a known quantity in terms of performance level with even 4 of these guys starting yet where we could reasonably believe they could more than hold their own if the 5th starter was a weaker player/placeholder for a top 6th man coming off the bench.

I'm hoping that the rookies, Williams and Poirier all show great things this season so we're in a position to contemplate different options for a starting lineup next season.  I just don't see it this year.

Kanter is the starting center not a role player IMO. If Kanter is a role player than so was Horford.

Slam, I think there are other reasonable options. 

I just don't want to see Hayward, Brown, and Tatum playing major minutes together.

Hayward should be the man off the bench this year. Sixth man of the year winner or runner up.

IMO Brad will experiment with Smart, Timelord, Grant Williams, Porier, and Theis in the starting Lineup.

I really like the Grant Williams options. He brings Defense, Rebounding, screen setting, defensive communication is top notch, passing, shooting, everything but length and rim protection.

Kanter
GWill
Tatum
Brown
Kemba

Hayward, Smart, and if just one of the Romeo or Carsen Edwards can score this year that gives us lots of scoring off the bench.
See the bolded
same thing.  he doesn't like those 3 together because of their fit so he'd rather start a lesser player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Last year was a bit unusual in that respect, though lineups without starters were only found in blowouts.

But having said that, what evolved over the year was three men coming in as a sort of platoon at the 6-minute mark of the first and third, more or less: Hayward, Brown, and Baynes.

I thought I saw some really cool chemistry between Hayward and Brown - that's kind of what Hayward does, he brings everything together, with or without the ball. He's a lot more than a playmaker, let alone being more than a scorer.

In terms of the starting lineup, what really has changed?

Kemba replaces Kyrie. That should have a minimal effect on rotations.

Kanter replaces Horford. Al was already playing load-managed minutes (finished the year at 29), so while substitution patterns might be different, court time might not be.

Morris is gone. You could replace him in the starting lineup with someone of similar size who can guard the swings or even second bigs - that would be either Theis, Ojeleye, or Grant Williams.

Theis has played almost exclusively as the lone big (i.e., as the "Center") in his two years with the Celtics, so now playing him as the second big with Kanter seems unlikely.

Grant Williams is a rookie, and while it looks like he could earn meaningful minutes, it's also apparent that Semi is ahead of him. 

The problem I see with starting Semi is that you do not have a second playmaker in the starting lineup - UNLESS you start one of Smart or Hayward.

If you start Brown/Hayward/Semi, that means that Tatum comes off the bench (unlikely).  If you start Smart/Tatum/Semi, that means that both Brown and Hayward come off the bench. This is exactly what Brad did last year, with Morris as the swing, so it can't be ruled out.

What about two-big starting lineups? One possible future is that RW3 joins Kanter as starter; maybe we'll see some of that in February or so. But once Timelord has won the confidence of the coaching staff, it might be more ideal for Kanter to become 6th man, to give you scoring punch and put pressure on the offensive board. That way you can start Brown/Hayward/Tatum - a small lineup overall but with good rim protection.

Apropos, if Kanter is your lone big and Kemba your point guard, you rely on your three wings to do a lot of work to guard the 3-pt line and help protect the paint. In order to do that you could start Smart/Tatum/Semi, as I said earlier, or even Smart/Brown/Tatum.

He has to realize that after Smart, that bench is ridiculously inexperienced in the NBA with only Theis and Semi having more than a year familiarity in Stevens system.

Excellent point, though if everyone's healthy that's still an eight-man rotation, and beyond that they clearly want to get minutes early and often for the Timelord. And Brad Wanamaker is not only a vet, but played well enough to earn himself another contract (contrast with Shane Larkin).

(It's worth asking if Brad even has a "system", but I'm not going down that particular rabbit hole right now.)

In addition, two rookies are poised to get meaningful minutes this year: Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams. They look like they can play NBA defense in their rookie season.

In theory, the answer is of course yes. KGLL does not consider Kanter a role-player, apparently, while you do.  I come down on the role-player side of that, with you - though I have misgivings about the whole concept.

Fit is more important, I suppose, than talent, though there's all degrees of both (which makes a hell of a difference). Maybe a better way to think about it is that talent is also part of fit, since fit is a function of effectiveness.

I'll end this before it gets any more conceptual.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 01:48:14 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

Grant Williams is a rookie, and while it looks like he could earn meaningful minutes, it's also apparent that Semi is ahead of him. 

The problem I see with starting Semi is that you do not have a second playmaker in the starting lineup - UNLESS you start one of Smart or Hayward.

If you start Brown/Hayward/Semi, that means that Tatum comes off the bench (unlikely).  If you start Smart/Tatum/Semi, that means that both Brown and Hayward come off the bench. This is exactly what Brad did last year, with Morris as the swing, so it can't be ruled out.

You have a lot more faith in Semi than I do. I do not in any way think it is set that Semi will be ahead of Williams. Theoretically, as of right now, you can argue he is, but I tend to think that will change in camp and I would not be in the least bit surprised if Williams played ahead of Semi. He's a better offensive player and a better passer.

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2019, 02:10:59 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Always start your stars, and always play big minutes with your most talented players.  Stop trying to fit this current team in the historical box.  They will rarely play with 2 bigs, 2 wings, and a PG.  Their talent just doesn't match that mold.  They will play a lot of PG, 3 wings, 1 big and try to force the other team to comply by running at every chance and pull the bigs to the perimeter and force the other team to come guard them.  There will be few teams that can force the C's to change from the 6'-8"-6'-9" duo of JT and GH.  THose guys can hold their own for short periods for all except the best PF's.  Lets see how big AL does trying to run the floor and stay with JT for any length of time.  I bet AH and embiid do alot of splitting time to cover the 5, and not alot of time at the 4 and 5 at the same time.

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2019, 07:53:19 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

You have a lot more faith in Semi than I do. I do not in any way think it is set that Semi will be ahead of Williams. Theoretically, as of right now, you can argue he is, but I tend to think that will change in camp and I would not be in the least bit surprised if Williams played ahead of Semi. He's a better offensive player and a better passer.

I think that you've identified one of the plot lines for the upcoming season.

Sounds like you're predicting that Grant Williams will get more court time immediately than Ojeleye, since you think that he'll prove himself in training camp. That will be interesting to track.

I'm strongly positive about Grant myself. Love the physical play and the intangibles.

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2019, 11:34:37 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Given the choice, i would take a shot at starting either Smart (with Brown or Hayward off the bench) or Williams (with Kanter off the bench) in the starting 5. 

I have two reasons for this.  Firstly, I worry that there are too many offensive minded guys in that starting 5 who want the ball in their hands, and not enough defensive minded guys who are willing to go out and do the dirty work - and I feel every starting 5 needs one of those "gritty" guys.

Secondly I'm concerned that there won't be a consistently dependable scorer on the second unit, and moving either Hayward, Brown or Kanter to the second unit would provide an instant offense option there. 

Williams at Center is definitely pushing it, I know.  It's seriously questionable whether he is mature or developed enough to play on the starting 5.  But in the big 3 era we started Perkins up front, and he has to have been one of the most unskilled big men I've ever seen - he was 100% size and toughness but zero skill.  Yet he learnt to play his role to perfection, and made a huge impact despite his limitations.  I feel if Williams could go out there in the starting 5, all he'd have to do is protect the paint and attack the boards.  If he can do just those two things at a high level, he can make an impact.  The rest can come with time.

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2019, 11:40:32 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

I kinda feel you are taking a big leap of faith by putting a rookie (who hasn't played a single NBA game) over a 3rd year player who:
1. Has already proven himself a solid and dependable 3+D player
2. Has already started 23 playoff games
3. Has already spent time defending guys like Lebron James, Giannis and Ben Simmons in meaningful games

I understand he is no star and isn't exactly beaming with upside, but he's a serviceable player who can guard multiple positions, can hit the open three with regularity, buys into the team system (accepts his role and doesn't try to be more then he is) and plays hard every single night.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:50:29 PM by Muzzy66 »

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2019, 08:11:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I kinda feel you are taking a big leap of faith by putting a rookie (who hasn't played a single NBA game) over a 3rd year player who:
1. Has already proven himself a solid and dependable 3+D player
2. Has already started 23 playoff games
3. Has already spent time defending guys like Lebron James, Giannis and Ben Simmons in meaningful games

I understand he is no star and isn't exactly beaming with upside, but he's a serviceable player who can guard multiple positions, can hit the open three with regularity, buys into the team system (accepts his role and doesn't try to be more then he is) and plays hard every single night.

I agree with this regarding Olejeye compared to Grant Williams.  Ojeleye has played and looked good in playoff games.  Grant Williams has looked good in the summer league.

Semi is right there on the bubble of being a regular rotation contributor on an NBA team.  I feel confident that the Celtics are going to put him in there and see what he is ready for (they don't have much option).  If he doesn't show improvement, then just playing more is not going to make him a better player.  At age 24, this is the time he needs to show it if he has it.   This year is a big opportunity for him.  It is right there on a silver platter.

Did you know his full name is Jesusemilore Talodabijesu "Semi" Ojeleye?  I didn't know that until I just checked to confirm his age.