Poll

Role play or No

Kanter, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Kemba
28 (63.6%)
Literally any other combination of players
16 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Poll: Yes or No start a role player in starting five  (Read 7754 times)

Re: Poll: Yes or No start a role player in starting five
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
the Lineup needs balance.

it really simple honestly.

Offense
Kemba 1a, Tatum 1b, Brown 2.
Why? Kemba is the best offensive talent on the team, and the best PG on the team, Tatum and Brown are the future in Boston.

So now that we have 3 scorers in the starting lineup(do not need more than that) we need to fill secondary roles, like defense, rebounding*, and secondary playmaking.

Smart check 2 of those boxes off, and for the 3rd box I believe you are looking at either Porier (though, young, steven adams esq player) or RW3 (not really ready yet, imo)

Next key components is Scoring and playmaking off the bench. Need someone who can get buckets (Kanter and Hayward and Edwards/Wannamer - 3 scorers)
Someone to facilitate the players and keep the young guys in a structured flow (Hayward)
Somone to defend and rebound (Gwilliams, Langford, Kanter for rebounding)

Lastly, you can close out games with a super small lineup with the top 5 guys offensively (Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward) or swap in Kanter for the worst performing wing (Smart, Brown, Tatum or Hayward)

And Defensive you look at Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Porier

I like the approach of balance. Maybe you can start Robert Williams like 10-15 games and see how that works out. If he's unable to show improvement, then you can start Poirier instead.

I think Williams will play an important part moving forward and think he is capable of starting at least that amount of games.

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2019, 02:00:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
It could literally be anyone. I know this is going to be a landslide victory for the normal starting five but I really think one team oriented, non selfish guy should be added.

Example Smart, Grant Williams really hoping to see him in the starting lineup at some point. I would love to see Timelord get a chance but he's so raw.

Theis will get some  starts for sure perfect role player and shooter.

Any other ideas to play with the big four are welcomed with Tommy points 😉.
we really only have 6 players that would be options to start.  the only one not listed in the presumed starting 5 is Smart which would require one of Brown/Hayward/Tatum to come off the bench as a 'supersub'.   I really don't see anything else as a reasonable option at this point. 

it's not like last year when arguments could be made to start any of the following players with Kyrie and Al: Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Baynes, Morris.  We just don't have anyone that's proven anything on the bench this year and it's not like we have a known quantity in terms of performance level with even 4 of these guys starting yet where we could reasonably believe they could more than hold their own if the 5th starter was a weaker player/placeholder for a top 6th man coming off the bench.

I'm hoping that the rookies, Williams and Poirier all show great things this season so we're in a position to contemplate different options for a starting lineup next season.  I just don't see it this year.

Kanter is the starting center not a role player IMO. If Kanter is a role player than so was Horford.

Slam, I think there are other reasonable options. 

I just don't want to see Hayward, Brown, and Tatum playing major minutes together.

Hayward should be the man off the bench this year. Sixth man of the year winner or runner up.

IMO Brad will experiment with Smart, Timelord, Grant Williams, Porier, and Theis in the starting Lineup.

I really like the Grant Williams options. He brings Defense, Rebounding, screen setting, defensive communication is top notch, passing, shooting, everything but length and rim protection.

Kanter
GWill
Tatum
Brown
Kemba

Hayward, Smart, and if just one of the Romeo or Carsen Edwards can score this year that gives us lots of scoring off the bench.

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It could literally be anyone. I know this is going to be a landslide victory for the normal starting five but I really think one team oriented, non selfish guy should be added.

Example Smart, Grant Williams really hoping to see him in the starting lineup at some point. I would love to see Timelord get a chance but he's so raw.

Theis will get some  starts for sure perfect role player and shooter.

Any other ideas to play with the big four are welcomed with Tommy points 😉.
we really only have 6 players that would be options to start.  the only one not listed in the presumed starting 5 is Smart which would require one of Brown/Hayward/Tatum to come off the bench as a 'supersub'.   I really don't see anything else as a reasonable option at this point. 

it's not like last year when arguments could be made to start any of the following players with Kyrie and Al: Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Baynes, Morris.  We just don't have anyone that's proven anything on the bench this year and it's not like we have a known quantity in terms of performance level with even 4 of these guys starting yet where we could reasonably believe they could more than hold their own if the 5th starter was a weaker player/placeholder for a top 6th man coming off the bench.

I'm hoping that the rookies, Williams and Poirier all show great things this season so we're in a position to contemplate different options for a starting lineup next season.  I just don't see it this year.

Kanter is the starting center not a role player IMO. If Kanter is a role player than so was Horford.

Slam, I think there are other reasonable options. 

I just don't want to see Hayward, Brown, and Tatum playing major minutes together.

Hayward should be the man off the bench this year. Sixth man of the year winner or runner up.

IMO Brad will experiment with Smart, Timelord, Grant Williams, Porier, and Theis in the starting Lineup.

I really like the Grant Williams options. He brings Defense, Rebounding, screen setting, defensive communication is top notch, passing, shooting, everything but length and rim protection.

Kanter
GWill
Tatum
Brown
Kemba

Hayward, Smart, and if just one of the Romeo or Carsen Edwards can score this year that gives us lots of scoring off the bench.
sure, those ARE other options, technically.  I just don't think they're good ones right now.  I get you don't want to see Brown, Hayward and Tatum all starting but we've yet to see how that plays out this year.  Didn't work last year when Brown was lost and Hayward played like crap.  it's a year later, let's see what they do together.  I suspect they'll mesh much better.

as for the others, other than Smart, no one's proven themselves to be a starting caliber player yet.  Certainly none of the rookies.  not Timelord or Theis.   Not Poirier.  Not Wanamaker.  nobody.   

As the season progresses and if the anticipated starters don't mesh while someone on the bench looks really good and a better fit as a starter, I'm not against a line-up change.  worked for awhile last year.   I'm hoping it won't be necessary this year.

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2019, 03:06:18 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
the Lineup needs balance.

it really simple honestly.

Offense
Kemba 1a, Tatum 1b, Brown 2.
Why? Kemba is the best offensive talent on the team, and the best PG on the team, Tatum and Brown are the future in Boston.

So now that we have 3 scorers in the starting lineup(do not need more than that) we need to fill secondary roles, like defense, rebounding*, and secondary playmaking.

Smart check 2 of those boxes off, and for the 3rd box I believe you are looking at either Porier (though, young, steven adams esq player) or RW3 (not really ready yet, imo)

Next key components is Scoring and playmaking off the bench. Need someone who can get buckets (Kanter and Hayward and Edwards/Wannamer - 3 scorers)
Someone to facilitate the players and keep the young guys in a structured flow (Hayward)
Somone to defend and rebound (Gwilliams, Langford, Kanter for rebounding)

Lastly, you can close out games with a super small lineup with the top 5 guys offensively (Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward) or swap in Kanter for the worst performing wing (Smart, Brown, Tatum or Hayward)

And Defensive you look at Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Porier

Hmm. It’s clearly a matter of opinion. I see that I’m in the minority but I think Hayward is the clear cut next best player on the Celtics. He’s the guy I want with the ball the most outside of Kemba. I have hopes for Tatum and I LOVE Brown’s defensive potential and am excited to see what he shows if he’s given the starting role and less of a quick hook. I think Kemba, brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kanter is the way to go . I loved last year’s Smart but I think Browns CEILING is a lot higher than Marcus. Smart makes dome jaw dropping defensive plays but I feel like Jaylen could be the best defensive 2 guard in the nba in a year or two. Then there’s what he brings attacking the rim and spot up 3’s.
  I know we can’t always he playing for the future but getting Hayward, Tatum and brown at their peak value is really important . We need to know what we have.

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2019, 03:59:17 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Haywad was not hired as a role player .   he needs to start and play up to his contract or dump him for cheaper role players

I Disagree.  I think we need to demonstrate patience and give the guy another year to 18 months to get back to 100%. 

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 06:43:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ideally you start your 5 best guys.

Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Walker, Smart.

Your point is well taken, but arguably those are your five best guys, and they don't include a big. So, not ideal, as I think that you are perhaps implying. On the other hand, the starters can't play all 48 minutes either.

Certainly, there are different ways to gauge who your "best" are. In fact, I wouldn't argue it too strongly. But I think that you want five guys together on the floor who can work together, so for example Kanter is kind of intriguing in his ability to keep possessions going with an offensive board, and getting to the line and scoring there, because he's complementary in that area - even if he isn't one of your top five players overall.
I meant as a general rule

Roster construction often makes that impossible, but ideally your 5 best players would start together
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 07:05:22 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

It's a matter of opinion, but I think playing those three together for Major minutes. Let's call the HBT for now. Hayward Tatum Brown.

Just feel like playing then together for Major minutes takes away from ALL of their strengths.

Why bother do that when we Desperately need scoring punch off the bench?

I mean who's your bench scoring right now??? I'm listening.

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 08:24:54 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

It's a matter of opinion, but I think playing those three together for Major minutes. Let's call the HBT for now. Hayward Tatum Brown.

Just feel like playing then together for Major minutes takes away from ALL of their strengths.

Don't underestimate Carsen Edwards.

By season's end, Edwards will be one of the top rookies in the league.

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2019, 08:35:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

that may be asking too much of him but I wouldn't be surprised if he's considered the top rookie on the team -- and that's not to say Gwill and Langford don't have good years too

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 09:00:06 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

that may be asking too much of him but I wouldn't be surprised if he's considered the top rookie on the team -- and that's not to say Gwill and Langford don't have good years too

GWill will be good.

Langford will not be able to play because the Celts have Hayward and Brown in front of him.

Edwards has the biggest chance of becoming an impact player for the Celts.

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2019, 10:27:25 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Oh I'm 100% all aboard the Carsen hype train. I'm just worried about how many minutes he's actually going to be able to play this year.

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2019, 11:53:33 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

GWill will be good.

I agree. Has an instinct for team defense, and isn't afraid to get physical.  Looks like he can potentially shoot with range, so, intangibles aside, he looks like a great find outside the lottery.

Langford will not be able to play because the Celts have Hayward and Brown in front of him.

And actually Smart and Tatum will be taking minutes that potentially could go to him as well.  Add to that the surgery recovery and the shot rebuilding, and we might see very little of him this fall.  Brad has been a real master at finding minutes for development, though, so he'll get some burn at some point.

Again I agree. Love the fierce, in-your-face defense, and great laterals and lower body strength to back it up; looks like he can stroke it off the dribble, good left hand, and has a bunch of moves to free himself (including the requisite shot fake/one dribble left to beat a closeout).  Just accelerates off the floor - he's got "burst".

I'm thinking he's Rozier's replacement - just, maybe better.  If he can take care of the ball like Terry did... Like Rozier, pushes the tempo. There's no one in front of him, really. Wanamaker's game is different, and no disrespect, but Carsen's going to become the backup this season.  I'm predicting that he's eighth man by February.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2019, 11:58:49 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Oh I'm 100% all aboard the Carsen hype train. I'm just worried about how many minutes he's actually going to be able to play this year.

People will be surprised. It's really a question of opportunity, and there's a big one available for him with the departure of Terry Rozier. He'll be eighth man by February - book it!
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2019, 08:26:46 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
As others have said, we have 5 players, Walker, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Smart, who have been starters playing 25-30 min/gm.  Unfortunately, in most cases, only 3 of these should be on the court at any given and certainly at most 4.  Then we have Kanter who is on the bubble.  He has had seasons where he was a starter for up to 72 games and he has other seasons where he has not started any games.  For the last 6 seasons, he has averaged in the 24 minute range.  I think he is going to start for us and play 25+ minutes.  We have no choice.

There has been a lot of debate about whether we should play with 1 big or 2 bigs essentially boiling down to whether or not Hayward should start.  This depends somewhat on how everyone plays but based on what we know; I am fine with Hayward coming off the bench.  He will still get his minutes/touches for sure.

Another question could come down to starting Smart or Brown.  I find that I kind of default to Brown starting, Smart off the bench. Again, both these guys are going to get their minutes, it is more a question of in what combinations of players.  Smart has actually come right out and said he likes coming off the bench so this may end up being an easy decision.

If we had a legit second big, comparable or better than Kanter (who you could argue is only fringe legit), I don’t think there is any question that the starting and most use combination would be Walker, Smart (or Brown), Tatum (or Hayward), and then the two bigs.  We would have great bench options with say Brown and Hayward off the bench.  But we don’t have two legit bigs, maybe not even one so instead we have a sort of quarterback controversy (only it is a wing controversy).  We have too many and they can’t all play together

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2019, 09:07:17 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

GWill will be good.

I hope Gwill will be good.  better than good even.  I'm just not expecting it his rookie year although he may get more time than expected since we don't have a real PF on the team this year.  he seems skilled with a high BBIQ but his height (specifically his lack thereof) could be a real issue in this league.  if he was taller, he'd probably have been taken top 6-7 in the draft. 

Edwards is the rookie I think will likely have the best chance at getting playing time.  No Rozier this year and Wanamaker, though experienced, isn't the same scorer as Edwards.  Kemba and Smart will likely miss a few games each this year (just typical stuff, no critical injuries) so he'll likely have a chance to step up and show what he can do.  wouldn't surprise me if Brad gets him regular minutes in the rotation before the end of the season.

Langford's the mystery.  He's stuck behind Brown, Smart, Hayward and Tatum for minutes.  He's coming off his injury still (no reports he's ready to go yet) and he's working on fixing his shot (which isn't good for a SG).  He'll likely get spot minutes here and there but I think he's going to be the rookie  considered MIA and leaving a chunk of the fanbase questioning why Danny bothered to take him instead of a big man that was available with that pick.   

To add to that, I would not be surprised if the rotation for the season ends up like this:
Starting: Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kanter
Primary bench: Smart, Edwards, Gwill, Theis. 
Spot minutes: Langford, Poirier, Timelord.

I would anticipate Brad keeping one of Brown, Hayward and Tatum on the floor at all times.  Not that a mass substitution should happen but a second unit of Smart, Edwards, one of the 3 wings, Gwill and Theis should be able to score as well as handle the boards.  D may be a different issue due to the height of Gwill and Theis but D will be an issue for the starters as well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:12:37 AM by slamtheking »