Poll

Role play or No

Kanter, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Kemba
28 (63.6%)
Literally any other combination of players
16 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Poll: Yes or No start a role player in starting five  (Read 7761 times)

Re: Poll: Yes or No start a role player in starting five
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 06:07:47 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

But Kanter is not a role player that serves the other stars. Kanter himself wants shots all day.

He averages about 10FGA in 25MPG -- and why can't scoring be part of your role, if that's what you're best at? Kanter is absolutely a role player. Inside scoring and offensive rebounding.

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 06:44:36 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Technically everyone has a role...

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 07:05:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

But Kanter is not a role player that serves the other stars. Kanter himself wants shots all day.
A role player is a role player. Doesn't matter what type of role player, because their are bunches of different type of role players.

Offensive role players
Defensive role players
3&D role players
Three point shooting role players
Glue guy role players
Interior play role players
Initiate the offense role players
Etc.
Etc.

Kanter is a role player. So the starters as you stated have a role player already. My guess is you don't like that starting unit so are saying they need a role player...but they have one already so either you want a different role player than Kanter or another role player besides Kanter.

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 10:02:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I feel like there is some difference in what is meant by a "role" player.  To me, you are categorized as a role player if you are not good enough to be better than a role player.  I know this probably is not all that clear but let me try to say that an "impact" player is a player that is not a role player.  Our impact players are Walker, Tatum, etc (everyone's list will be a little different). 

To me an impact player is a solid starter or a player off the bench that has the equivalent talent and production to a solid starter (Ginobili was an impact player off the bench for example).  Not all starters are impact players. And not all impact players are created equal. Some impact players are stars, some not.  Another way to think of this is that impact players probably play more than 25 min/game, rotation players more like 15-18 min or less.

To me, the impact players on the Celtics are Walker, Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Hayward assuming Gordon is back to full or near-full preinjury Hayward.  I actually have Kanter as a impact player, admittedly fringe impact, but impact (I know many will disagree with that).  All the rest are at best role players; Ojeleye, Theis, Poirier, RWilliams, Wannamaker are all role players, not good enough (based on to date performance) to be impact players.  All the rookies (Langford, GWilliams, Edwards, Fall, ...) might maybe emerge as role players or even better but who knows.  I know Poirier is technically a rookie but I put him with Theis, RWill, and that category based on his professional experience in Europe.

The issue for the Celtics is that all our impact players (with the possible exception of Kanter), essentially are "smalls".  All our bigs (again, with the possible exception of Kanter) are at best role players.  Not good roster balance.  My hope is that one or more of the role player bigs elevates to an impact level but right now, none have demonstrated that level of talent or production. 

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 11:40:34 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I think it depends on how he gets his shots. The more that he's getting off the offensive board and opportunely off transition and in broken plays, the better.

Surely that's what the Celtics acquired him for?
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 12:02:37 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ideally you start your 5 best guys.

If shots or defense become an issue you could see that moving around.

Right now the only other guy on the roster who has proven he can be a starter is Smart. Ideally one of the Williams emerges or Theis gets his quickness back or Poirier turns out to be a player but I don’t think anyone outside those 6 have any claim to a starting job right now.

You can ask Brown or Hayward to go to the bench for Smart but it’s a lot harder to ask them to come off the bench so you can start anyone else
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 12:08:48 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I feel like there is some difference in what is meant by a "role" player.  To me, you are categorized as a role player if you are not good enough to be better than a role player.  I know this probably is not all that clear but let me try to say that an "impact" player is a player that is not a role player.  Our impact players are Walker, Tatum, etc (everyone's list will be a little different). 

To me an impact player is a solid starter or a player off the bench that has the equivalent talent and production to a solid starter (Ginobili was an impact player off the bench for example).  Not all starters are impact players. And not all impact players are created equal. Some impact players are stars, some not.  Another way to think of this is that impact players probably play more than 25 min/game, rotation players more like 15-18 min or less.

To me, the impact players on the Celtics are Walker, Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Hayward assuming Gordon is back to full or near-full preinjury Hayward.  I actually have Kanter as a impact player, admittedly fringe impact, but impact (I know many will disagree with that).  All the rest are at best role players; Ojeleye, Theis, Poirier, RWilliams, Wannamaker are all role players, not good enough (based on to date performance) to be impact players.  All the rookies (Langford, GWilliams, Edwards, Fall, ...) might maybe emerge as role players or even better but who knows.  I know Poirier is technically a rookie but I put him with Theis, RWill, and that category based on his professional experience in Europe.

The issue for the Celtics is that all our impact players (with the possible exception of Kanter), essentially are "smalls".  All our bigs (again, with the possible exception of Kanter) are at best role players.  Not good roster balance.  My hope is that one or more of the role player bigs elevates to an impact level but right now, none have demonstrated that level of talent or production.
Completely agree.

This team has a well documented big man problem specifically defensively. They need one of those guys rookies or bench guys to make a leap not necessarily to the impact player level but to the point where they can be plus defensive players and playable offensive players.

I think the ideal guys would be Theis and Grant Williams.

I love Rob and I think Poirier could be quite good but I don’t think either can possibly share the floor with Kanter for extended minutes.

I think the sneaky most important thing to watch early in the year is does Theis have back his pre MCL injury athleticism. If he does I think he can be a 20 minute a game guy who can play at the 4 against big lineups and the 5 against small ones.

If he can’t and he’s the same slow guy we saw down the stretch I’m not sure how playable he is and now you are gonna have to ask Hayward or Tatum (or I suppose Semi) to play up a position and guard 4s a lot while also asking similarly unproven Rob and Poirier to play minutes next to another not shooting big which will be a problem
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 12:21:09 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Ideally you start your 5 best guys.

Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Walker, Smart.

Your point is well taken, but arguably those are your five best guys, and they don't include a big. So, not ideal, as I think that you are perhaps implying. On the other hand, the starters can't play all 48 minutes either.

Certainly, there are different ways to gauge who your "best" are. In fact, I wouldn't argue it too strongly. But I think that you want five guys together on the floor who can work together, so for example Kanter is kind of intriguing in his ability to keep possessions going with an offensive board, and getting to the line and scoring there, because he's complementary in that area - even if he isn't one of your top five players overall.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 12:36:19 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Completely agree.

This team has a well documented big man problem specifically defensively. They need one of those guys rookies or bench guys to make a leap not necessarily to the impact player level but to the point where they can be plus defensive players and playable offensive players.

I think the ideal guys would be Theis and Grant Williams.

I love Rob and I think Poirier could be quite good but I don’t think either can possibly share the floor with Kanter for extended minutes.

I think the sneaky most important thing to watch early in the year is does Theis have back his pre MCL injury athleticism. If he does I think he can be a 20 minute a game guy who can play at the 4 against big lineups and the 5 against small ones.

If he can’t and he’s the same slow guy we saw down the stretch I’m not sure how playable he is and now you are gonna have to ask Hayward or Tatum (or I suppose Semi) to play up a position and guard 4s a lot while also asking similarly unproven Rob and Poirier to play minutes next to another not shooting big which will be a problem

I would suggest first that Grant Williams at 6'7", 236,  is not a big, and second that he's in the same general world as Semi at 6'7" 241, who will not have to play up a position - in fact, he's generally been guarding swings, or 4's, or whatever you want to call them, up to this point in his career (even though they've used his versatility to guard the likes of Devin Booker and Spencer Dinwiddie as well).

Theis has rarely played in two-big lineups since coming to Boston. So he is best viewed, to use the old terminology, as a "center", not as a "power forward".

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 08:28:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It could literally be anyone. I know this is going to be a landslide victory for the normal starting five but I really think one team oriented, non selfish guy should be added.

Example Smart, Grant Williams really hoping to see him in the starting lineup at some point. I would love to see Timelord get a chance but he's so raw.

Theis will get some  starts for sure perfect role player and shooter.

Any other ideas to play with the big four are welcomed with Tommy points 😉.
we really only have 6 players that would be options to start.  the only one not listed in the presumed starting 5 is Smart which would require one of Brown/Hayward/Tatum to come off the bench as a 'supersub'.   I really don't see anything else as a reasonable option at this point. 

it's not like last year when arguments could be made to start any of the following players with Kyrie and Al: Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Baynes, Morris.  We just don't have anyone that's proven anything on the bench this year and it's not like we have a known quantity in terms of performance level with even 4 of these guys starting yet where we could reasonably believe they could more than hold their own if the 5th starter was a weaker player/placeholder for a top 6th man coming off the bench.

I'm hoping that the rookies, Williams and Poirier all show great things this season so we're in a position to contemplate different options for a starting lineup next season.  I just don't see it this year.

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 08:45:32 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Start a role player?

We have to. We gotta start one of our centers.

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
the Lineup needs balance.

it really simple honestly.

Offense
Kemba 1a, Tatum 1b, Brown 2.
Why? Kemba is the best offensive talent on the team, and the best PG on the team, Tatum and Brown are the future in Boston.

So now that we have 3 scorers in the starting lineup(do not need more than that) we need to fill secondary roles, like defense, rebounding*, and secondary playmaking.

Smart check 2 of those boxes off, and for the 3rd box I believe you are looking at either Porier (though, young, steven adams esq player) or RW3 (not really ready yet, imo)

Next key components is Scoring and playmaking off the bench. Need someone who can get buckets (Kanter and Hayward and Edwards/Wannamer - 3 scorers)
Someone to facilitate the players and keep the young guys in a structured flow (Hayward)
Somone to defend and rebound (Gwilliams, Langford, Kanter for rebounding)

Lastly, you can close out games with a super small lineup with the top 5 guys offensively (Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward) or swap in Kanter for the worst performing wing (Smart, Brown, Tatum or Hayward)

And Defensive you look at Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Porier

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 12:42:36 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
PG Kemba
SG Brown
F1 Tatum
F2 a)Semi or b)G Will
C Kanter

I like the balance of this group - 2 primary scores Kemba and Tatum; Back court defender - Brown; Front court rebounding and 3&D with Semi/ G Will.

Bench:
Hayward @ F (replaces F2 or SG)
Smart @ G (Replaces G)
Theis F/C (replaces F1 or C)
Poirier F/C (replaces F or C)
Semi/G Will @F

I place Hayward on the bench because you need consistent bench scoring and a leader for the group. Hayward and Theis had some nice chemistry last year in the P&R. Smart obviously will be the defensive minded player needed to set tone and Poirier can do some rim running. Semi/G Will are there for 3&D.

Deep Bench
G Wanamaker
G Edwards
F/C R Will
G/F Langford
C TACKO

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Well we are pretty sure the starting lineup is Kemba, hayward, tatum, smart/brown, and a center(likely kanter to start.  The big questions are will they "fit" together, and can the fast break ability of these guys make up for the lack of D, especially in the middle.  I think we all hope Hayward and Tatum both step up and fill in as competent "swings", but of course that is not a guarantee.  I think I start Brown over Smart, as Smart will cover both guard spots.  Then I bring in Smart for Brown, and Theis/poirer/RW3 for kanter after 5-8 minutes.  Next would be Semi or GW in the PF spot.  At this point you are talking Kemba, smart, Hayward, Semi, Theis or similar.  Then Brown comes in for Kemba, and Tatum comes in for Hayward near the end of the 1st quarter.  Now you have smart, brown, tatum, Semi, Theis/poirer/rw3.  Maybe you bring kanter back to start the 2nd, and then filter Kemba/hayward back at about the 8 minute mark of the second or so.  I try to keep marcus on th floor with 3 better scorers if I can and make him improve his distributing, rather than trying to do too much shooting.  I strongly beleive KAnter will get the team running better than Al did with the increase in rebounding, so I hope that is the way we focus.

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2019, 01:34:23 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
the Lineup needs balance.

it really simple honestly.

Offense
Kemba 1a, Tatum 1b, Brown 2.
Why? Kemba is the best offensive talent on the team, and the best PG on the team, Tatum and Brown are the future in Boston.

So now that we have 3 scorers in the starting lineup(do not need more than that) we need to fill secondary roles, like defense, rebounding*, and secondary playmaking.

Smart check 2 of those boxes off, and for the 3rd box I believe you are looking at either Porier (though, young, steven adams esq player) or RW3 (not really ready yet, imo)

Next key components is Scoring and playmaking off the bench. Need someone who can get buckets (Kanter and Hayward and Edwards/Wannamer - 3 scorers)
Someone to facilitate the players and keep the young guys in a structured flow (Hayward)
Somone to defend and rebound (Gwilliams, Langford, Kanter for rebounding)

Lastly, you can close out games with a super small lineup with the top 5 guys offensively (Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward) or swap in Kanter for the worst performing wing (Smart, Brown, Tatum or Hayward)

And Defensive you look at Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Porier

I like the approach of balance. Maybe you can start Robert Williams like 10-15 games and see how that works out. If he's unable to show improvement, then you can start Poirier instead.