Author Topic: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child  (Read 22446 times)

Re: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2020, 03:26:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
WHY do these players get paid millions. Does he get paid for the missed games or not?
Because of the billions of dollars the sport generates. No players, no game
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2020, 06:23:52 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
WHY do these players get paid millions. Does he get paid for the missed games or not?

If it was just an in-season ''meaningless'' game I would get it, but a player can't leave the team during the most important part of the year for private reasons, unless it's something very urgent or terrible. It feels like Hayward isn't really committed to the team.

The Celtics have a problem with Hayward's contract, because letting him go next summer won't generate any (relevant) cap space. The Celtics' payroll, even before a max extension for Tatum, will be too high.

Maybe the best course would be to try to trade Hayward at the trade deadline (by adding picks/rookies/sophomores) for a (borderline) All Star to a team that needs cap relief and young talent?

Obviously the Celtics can't give Hayward an over generous contract again. To make a renegotiation of his contract interesting for Hayward it has to be at least 70 to 80 million for the coming 4 years, which I'm not sure he's worth it. Considering the luxury tax and the focus on the future by management (illustrated by the young roster and keeping draft picks) there's probably no future for Hayward with the Celtics any longer than necessary.

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2020, 08:12:01 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
So it would be a 4 day quarantine after returning, plus however many days he actually misses for the event itself. In the middle of a 2nd or third round. Tough break.

But can't really blame him, family should come first.

No kidding. I can't believe people are actually arguing that his wife should just not see her husband for months while in late stages of pregnancy, then not have him there for the birth, and then not have him around and meet his kid for another few weeks.

Some things are bigger than basketball. That includes Jrue Holiday missing most of a season to stay with his wife while fighting brain cancer, it includes Avery Bradley staying home because of his son's issues, and it includes Hayward leaving for a few days to be there for the birth of his kid.

People need to get some perspective.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2020, 08:13:56 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Clearly the money should go to those poor owners. The players are taking advantage of them when they sign these big contracts and then get injured/are human beings who want to be there when their kid is born!
I'm bitter.

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2020, 08:35:55 AM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
I love when people have fake anger like they can predict the future and what might happen 3 months from now.  There might not be a bubble or a league to leave. Maybe the league changes the 4 days quarantine to 2 with less teams and no outbreaks. Maybe his wife gets induced at night after a day game and Hayward flies out after and misses only 1 game.  Maybe they sweep and have no games. Let's just hope we get to watch some games and get past our first round opponent.

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Its been reported by multiple sources that Hayward whose wife is due in Sept will be leaving the bubble for the birth of his 4th child.

Good news is that multiple sources including Keith Smith are reporting that the NBA will shorted the required quarantine for returning players depending on the circumstances.

Could set up a nice dramatic return game for Hayward deep into the Cs playoff run.

Do you know what the time frame is on players needing to sit out after returning to the bubble? Hayward's first two seasons here were pretty much a complete sunk cost to the Cs. He has obviously been more promising this one, but if he is going to miss the entire ECF because he is choosing to leave, then that will be pretty disappointing. If the Cs look like they have a real chance of going the distance, then Hayward should do everything he can to make himself available. It sounds crass (and I'm glad there are no longer negative TPs), but it is his 4th child. Robyn is doing this in her sleep at this point.

1st child or 4th child, it really shouldn't matter.   It's more important than a game.

Game? Here I thought it was his job that pays him MIILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

In the grand scheme of things, it really is.   Fathers leave their jobs all the time to go see their children being born.   Whether someone is unemployed, making minimum wage, or is a multimillionaire shouldn't matter.   I'm guessing the vast majority of people who are outraged over this hypothetical are doing it in their own self-interest of the laundry they root for.  Kids are born once, other games will be played.  And I'm not even a father yet.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2020, 10:38:22 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Its been reported by multiple sources that Hayward whose wife is due in Sept will be leaving the bubble for the birth of his 4th child.

Good news is that multiple sources including Keith Smith are reporting that the NBA will shorted the required quarantine for returning players depending on the circumstances.

Could set up a nice dramatic return game for Hayward deep into the Cs playoff run.

Do you know what the time frame is on players needing to sit out after returning to the bubble? Hayward's first two seasons here were pretty much a complete sunk cost to the Cs. He has obviously been more promising this one, but if he is going to miss the entire ECF because he is choosing to leave, then that will be pretty disappointing. If the Cs look like they have a real chance of going the distance, then Hayward should do everything he can to make himself available. It sounds crass (and I'm glad there are no longer negative TPs), but it is his 4th child. Robyn is doing this in her sleep at this point.

1st child or 4th child, it really shouldn't matter.   It's more important than a game.

In the grand scheme of things, it really is.   Fathers leave their jobs all the time to go see their children being born.   Whether someone is unemployed, making minimum wage, or is a multimillionaire shouldn't matter.   I'm guessing the vast majority of people who are outraged over this hypothetical are doing it in their own self-interest of the laundry they root for.  Kids are born once, other games will be played.  And I'm not even a father yet.

The point is you called it a game. the players dont even call it a game. They call it a business. There is a reason they get paid millions. I do agree that family should come first and it should be his call. Does anyone know though if players get paid for child birth leave?

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2020, 10:44:52 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

would it be different to you if it was game 7 of a championship and it was the team's best player?

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2020, 11:13:24 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
This is very simple.

Despite all the advances in medicine, childbirth is still a moment of tremendous stress and risk for both mother and child.

And should something terrible happen I believe most folks would never forgive themselves for putting work over family.  I know I wouldn't.

It doesn't really matter how much one is getting paid.  Do you think billionaires who are often getting 'paid' far more than any NBA player shouldn't be allowed to take a few days off if their spouse was in delivery?   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2020, 11:16:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Clearly the money should go to those poor owners. The players are taking advantage of them when they sign these big contracts and then get injured/are human beings who want to be there when their kid is born!
Lol, TP. Some really embarrassing takes being thrown around here. Imagining questioning the commitment of a player to our team because he, god forbid, wants to be present for the birth of his child (in the midst of perhaps the most tumultuous time of the last 70 years).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2020, 11:30:40 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

would it be different to you if it was game 7 of a championship and it was the team's best player?

No.  Again, you're putting your own selfishness as a sports fan above all else.  Essentially, you don't give two [dang]s about the player's family because you're rooting for the laundry. 

It would be tough but I'm certainly going to accept it. 

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2020, 11:31:55 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

The point is you called it a game. the players dont even call it a game. They call it a business. There is a reason they get paid millions. I do agree that family should come first and it should be his call. Does anyone know though if players get paid for child birth leave?

Basketball is a game.  The fact that people are getting paid millions of dollars to play it is a bonus. 

These guys aren't curing cancer or anything.  They're providing entertainment in the form of sports.

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2020, 12:44:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

No.  Again, you're putting your own selfishness as a sports fan above all else.  Essentially, you don't give two [dang]s about the player's family because you're rooting for the laundry. 

Gordon Hayward is getting paid close to $33M this year. Obviously family comes first to most people, but there have to be exceptions. In this hypothetical, it absolutely matters how much somebody is getting paid. Hayward is going to collect his massive salary this season and probably pick up the option to do so again next season. What does he have to lose?

Again, I understand why somebody would want to see the birth of their child, but I disagree that we shouldn't be critical of him. He signed a max contract with the team and is choosing to leave at what would be a very important time to the team. Honestly, I believe that he doesn't really care much for the team or city he is playing for...which is understandable with how he has been treated...but it isn't going to win him any fans.

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2020, 01:21:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Gordon Hayward is getting paid close to $33M this year. Obviously family comes first to most people, but there have to be exceptions. In this hypothetical, it absolutely matters how much somebody is getting paid. Hayward is going to collect his massive salary this season and probably pick up the option to do so again next season. What does he have to lose?

Again, I understand why somebody would want to see the birth of their child, but I disagree that we shouldn't be critical of him. He signed a max contract with the team and is choosing to leave at what would be a very important time to the team. Honestly, I believe that he doesn't really care much for the team or city he is playing for...which is understandable with how he has been treated...but it isn't going to win him any fans.

People can be critical of the guy all they want. Personally, I think people are just finding another reason to criticize the guy because of the salary and his underperformance in the duration of the contract. I wonder how many people on here would really blow off the birth of their child to go work instead. Just because this is a sport shouldn’t really change the case.

In a normal season, we’re not even having this conversation. She got pregnant before Covid and normally this baby would be born during the off-season. What the heck was he supposed to do?

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2020, 02:23:15 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Family first.. don’t blame him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin