Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 253267 times)

green_bballers13 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1481
I know it’s been said, but pretty much everyone was saying Kornet was a bad matchup against this team. Only due to him getting injured did he put in Bassett, and we saw how that went.
I have to wonder why he doesn’t see these things, if I can.
Also, why aren’t any of these new and brilliant assistants helping him?

Maybe they are, and maybe they're not as brilliant as we thought they were, if this is the result - a team that is leaderless and has no clue what it is doing and is somehow just bumbling through the playoffs despite an inept coaching staff which could quite possibly rank amongst the worst in the league   :-\

It's time to just admit he's not a bright coach. Anyone, you, me, the guy above me can see that Brissett is a much more impactful player on the floor than Kornet and Joe still uses him. He one of those who stand on the sideline with hands in the pocket watching, but without any clue on how to coach. If Kornet getting abused or Horford is wearing down, I'm throwing in Tillman or Brissett right away to stop the bleeding

Yet there is a reason he still has a job and is on the cusp of an NBA Finals appearance while you're still posting crappy takes on an internet message board.

Funny how that works.

TP.

What a world view that Mazzula is a bad coach and Celtics ownership with millions of dollars on the line isn't smart enough to see it, Brad Stevens with his career as a basketball GM on the line isn't smart enough to see it, but SparzWizard, ozgod, and celts55 on the CS Forum are the people smart enough who have all the answers here and truly understand the big picture of NBA coaching and all of its intricacies.

Nailed it!  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1787
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I know it’s been said, but pretty much everyone was saying Kornet was a bad matchup against this team. Only due to him getting injured did he put in Bassett, and we saw how that went.

Maybe they are, and maybe they're not as brilliant as we thought they were, if this is the result - a team that is leaderless and has no clue what it is doing and is somehow just bumbling through the playoffs despite an inept coaching staff which could quite possibly rank amongst the worst in the league   :-\

It's time to just admit he's not a bright coach. Anyone, you, me, the guy above me can see that Brissett is a much more impactful player on the floor than Kornet and Joe still uses him. He one of those who stand on the sideline with hands in the pocket watching, but without any clue on how to coach. If Kornet getting abused or Horford is wearing down, I'm throwing in Tillman or Brissett right away to stop the bleeding

Yet there is a reason he still has a job and is on the cusp of an NBA Finals appearance while you're still posting crappy takes on an internet message board.

Funny how that works.

TP.

What a world view that Mazzula is a bad coach and Celtics ownership with millions of dollars on the line isn't smart enough to see it, Brad Stevens with his career as a basketball GM on the line isn't smart enough to see it, but SparzWizard, ozgod, and celts55 on the CS Forum are the people smart enough who have all the answers here and truly understand the big picture of NBA coaching and all of its intricacies.

Joe is fine, but he has made plenty of mistakes. Not playing some of your bench guys a few minutes here and there while your team was running away with the league's best record was just dumb. Knowing what these guys could do with real game experience probably would have helped him go to somebody like Brissett a few games earlier.

I'm not going to go into his use of timeouts or ATOs, but he does seem a little stubborn. I mean, the team won 64 games and he wasn't even a finalist for COTY. We don't all think he is horrible, but he isn't exactly the reason this team is storming through the playoffs. Our opponents have been quite injured. Including opponents we never had to face like MIL and NYK.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Brissett played 11.5 mpg over 55 games this year.  And 14 of the games he missed were in the first 23 games of the year.  I'm not sure how much more you expected him to play.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1481
Brissett played 11.5 mpg over 55 games this year.  And 14 of the games he missed were in the first 23 games of the year.  I'm not sure how much more you expected him to play.

Also, Pritchard: 22mpg, Hauser:22mpg, Kornet:15mpg. There are only so many minutes to go around and Horford was coming off the bench as well.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1407

Funny how that works.

TP.

Hey I’ll have you know that I’m a really good coach…on NBA2k. I know I am because I make sure to use timeouts…the fans love them :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1020

Funny how that works.

TP.

Put any coach with two all NBA defensive guys of the year, four all stars (and one who got snubbed), and of course they better have a dominating record. Joe is just there riding the coattails, but when it comes to actual coaching then you can forget about it

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 749
Yeah, if Joe Finally wakes up the C’s might actually win some games this postseason! Clearly whatever he’s trying to do is not working at all.  :laugh:

I've got plenty of problems with Joe's decision making, but the team likes the guy.  If we're winning playoff games, I'm not going to complain.

I’m in this boat as well. If the team plays hard for him regardless of his Xs and Os, then i’m fine with that…as long as we’re winning!   The guys seem to really like his approach to the game and the off court relationships as well.

But they don't always play hard for him. In fact, they regularly come out flat for a game or for the second half.
Tatum gives less overall effort when he is struggling to score. He either jogs back after a missed shot or he doesn't jog back at all because he is having a kanipshin due to the officials not calling a foul on his shot or drive. Sure, he does sometimes get fouled and there is not a whistle, but the time to get upset or complain is not when the opponent is coming back with the ball in transition. 
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 749
Yeah, if Joe Finally wakes up the C’s might actually win some games this postseason! Clearly whatever he’s trying to do is not working at all.  :laugh:

I've got plenty of problems with Joe's decision making, but the team likes the guy.  If we're winning playoff games, I'm not going to complain.

The problem is are we going to continue to win when we're playing actual contenders and not this Eastern Conference fodder? There's a lot less margin for error to absorb the "Joe Handicap" in the Finals.

That is my worry

As we can see now , we won in spite of old Doc Rivers , I think this team has the talent level to  absorb the same amount of poor coaching and win too.

Doc has his flaws, but he is miles ahead of Joe as a coach.

The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 267
  • International Superstar

I’m in this boat as well. If the team plays hard for him regardless of his Xs and Os, then i’m fine with that…as long as we’re winning!   The guys seem to really like his approach to the game and the off court relationships as well.

But they don't always play hard for him. In fact, they regularly come out flat for a game or for the second half.
Tatum gives less overall effort when he is struggling to score. He either jogs back after a missed shot or he doesn't jog back at all because he is having a kanipshin due to the officials not calling a foul on his shot or drive. Sure, he does sometimes get fouled and there is not a whistle, but the time to get upset or complain is not when the opponent is coming back with the ball in transition.
They have done this for every coach they have ever played for, so (beyond 'vibes-based reasoning') where is the evidence things would change under another HC?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.