Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 106713 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Still intrigued by Jontay Porter.  Kid reminds me of Al Horford. I know the knee problems, two ACL tears in same knee (2nd tear because he disobeyed doc orders and tried to come back too soon, ugh), but that is why he will slip to late first/early 2nd.

Has good BBIQ, and a nice shooting touch.  Think he would be great off the bench to spell Horford.

Yeah I like the upside in a guy like that in that pick range.  But I also totally understand it potentially being a no-go due to ACL issues.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2019, 03:39:45 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Garland bol and reid...
Bol baynes williams at c
Reid horford morris at pf

« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2019, 04:36:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see a lot of people making predictions of who the Celtics will draft. A have a question for you all.

Assuming no AD trade, do you think that a team trying to compete for a title is going to keep Williams and 3-4 not top of the draft draftees in a weak draft all on the roster next year?

The only way I see the Celtics keeping and making all 4 picks in this draft(5 if the Memphis pick miraculously gets moved to the 9th pick) is if they are expecting to take a major step backwards.

« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2019, 04:42:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I see a lot of people making predictions of who the Celtics will draft. A have a question for you all.

Assuming no AD trade, do you think that a team trying to compete for a title is going to keep Williams and 3-4 not top of the draft draftees in a weak draft all on the roster next year?

The only way I see the Celtics keeping and making all 4 picks in this draft(5 if the Memphis pick miraculously gets moved to the 9th pick) is if they are expecting to take a major step backwards.
I think it comes down to money and planning on if you are going after Davis in FA. The team may want to push picks or use all their picks.  There will be open roster spots and rookies are the cheapest way to fill them that are able to be flipped quickly to free up money later.

« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2019, 05:32:49 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

I'll be very surprised if they keep more than 1, maybe 2 drafted players this year.  Even if they don't get AD, I think they view themselves as having moved on from a developing team and are now competing for a title.  Danny will either try to roll picks over into future years, or trade them for guys who are fully baked.

« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2019, 06:35:26 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I'll be very surprised if they keep more than 1, maybe 2 drafted players this year.  Even if they don't get AD, I think they view themselves as having moved on from a developing team and are now competing for a title.  Danny will either try to roll picks over into future years, or trade them for guys who are fully baked.
I agree if Kyrie re-signs but if he leaves I think that view point changes.  Without Kyrie, we're not a championship contender.

« Reply #411 on: April 23, 2019, 11:30:19 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Assuming we don't get the Memphis pick I see us consolidating some of the other picks to move up the lottery a little. I could see Minnesota as an example sitting at #10. Offering #14 and #20 is fair value. Then grab either a point guard like White or Garland or getting Nassir Little.

#22 could be used on someone who drops on draft night or to pick a draft and stash player. I think it much more likely that spare roster spots net year are going to vets who can plug gaps as opposed to more draft picks. So if I were to estimate the number of draft picks we end up with on our roster next year it would be 2.

« Reply #412 on: April 23, 2019, 11:42:35 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I don't agree... we will have a roster spot from gibson... i see yabusele ojeleje and rozier being traded away... i am not sure morris stays or even theis...we have  at least 5 spots.. we could have 3 pics next year.. if you can get garland gafford and reid you keep them

« Reply #413 on: April 23, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't agree... we will have a roster spot from gibson... i see yabusele ojeleje and rozier being traded away... i am not sure morris stays or even theis...we have  at least 5 spots.. we could have 3 pics next year.. if you can get garland gafford and reid you keep them
Who's trading for Yabu? You'd need to give up one of those picks to move him..

If Morris and Rozier and Theis leave you need to replace their minutes. Rookies won't do that. Nurturing one or two is fine, more are just wasted bench spots

« Reply #414 on: April 23, 2019, 08:48:08 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Bol Bol looks to be best player on this draft “to me”. That should be the only rookie we get. Trade everything else.

« Reply #415 on: April 23, 2019, 10:28:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bol Bol looks to be best player on this draft “to me”. That should be the only rookie we get. Trade everything else.
See, I have no problem with this philosophy. Target a guy. Use the picks to get that guy. Other picks move in trades for possible veteran players or future picks.

Develop that player and Williams while fighting for a title. Don't care if that player is Bol, Little, Clarke, whoever. Get that one guy

« Reply #416 on: April 23, 2019, 11:40:51 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

See, I have no problem with this philosophy. Target a guy. Use the picks to get that guy. Other picks move in trades for possible veteran players or future picks.

Develop that player and Williams while fighting for a title. Don't care if that player is Bol, Little, Clarke, whoever. Get that one guy

Dead on

« Reply #417 on: May 02, 2019, 04:31:14 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
It seems there is a 50.7 percent chance that the Memphis pick will convey at 9.

Obviously assuming it is not moved in a draft day trade, who would you like to see taken now that the tournament is over?

All the shooting guards/wings who will most likely/possibly be available (Reddish, Culver, Alexander-Walker, Okpala) are only average/poor distance shooters.

I think Jaxson Hayes, Bruno Fernando, even a reach for Goga Bitadze make sense. Maybe even a point guard like Coby White (if he slips)..

Where is your thinking at?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #418 on: May 02, 2019, 05:35:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Obviously assuming it is not moved in a draft day trade, who would you like to see taken now that the tournament is over?

All the shooting guards/wings who will most likely/possibly be available (Reddish, Culver, Alexander-Walker, Okpala) are only average/poor distance shooters.

I think Jaxson Hayes, Bruno Fernando, even a reach for Goga Bitadze make sense. Maybe even a point guard like Coby White (if he slips)..

I could see Darius Garland being available at 9. Before he got injured he was playing really well. Good handle, can finish at the rim well, and can shoot from every tier (58.1% from 2, 47.8% from 3). The passing could be an issue, but that Vanderbilt team didn't have much talent around him. Plus, if his injury doesn't hold him back I really like his athleticism.

I'm also a fan of Nassir Little. I still think he has one of the highest two-way potentials in the draft - he was just a victim of Roy Williams' tendency to not play freshmen. His per-minute production stands up, and he has elite defence coupled with elite athleticism.

Or we could go all out on a guy like Bol Bol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #419 on: May 02, 2019, 05:52:10 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

I could see Darius Garland being available at 9. Before he got injured he was playing really well. Good handle, can finish at the rim well, and can shoot from every tier (58.1% from 2, 47.8% from 3). The passing could be an issue, but that Vanderbilt team didn't have much talent around him. Plus, if his injury doesn't hold him back I really like his athleticism.

I'm also a fan of Nassir Little. I still think he has one of the highest two-way potentials in the draft - he was just a victim of Roy Williams' tendency to not play freshmen. His per-minute production stands up, and he has elite defence coupled with elite athleticism.

Or we could go all out on a guy like Bol Bol.

Yes, I really like Garland too. I'm just a bit scared of undersized guys (Although there are some notable exceptions at the moment; VanVleet for instance).

I would have no problem with Bol or Little. Both high risk/reward, which we should take a shot at.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.