Author Topic: How does Chris Broussard still have a job?  (Read 6310 times)

How does Chris Broussard still have a job?
« on: January 05, 2014, 12:02:24 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I read the ridiculous 'report' today about Griffin for Melo, and thought it was the dumbest rumor of all time. Then I googled it, and found this (which sums it up perfectly):

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/04/rumor-knicks-clippers-have-discussed-proposing-a-trade-involving-carmelo-anthony-and-blake-griffin/

The concept is a joke to begin with -- stupid. The reporting is nonsensical -- stupid. And then Doc went ahead and called ESPN what it should be called for printing it.... stupid.

Broussard should be canned. I'm sure James Dolan will give him a gig as a cheerleader.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: How does Chris Broussard still have a job?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:56:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
its a fire starter but not out reality

1)griffin name has been tossed since last year. 2) melo is a fa next season, has a home in LA and is friends with paul. 3) clippers cant keep both griffin and melo due to the cap

if the clippers fail again to get anywhere , this rumor could build steam

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 02:00:41 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He made his career hanging off of Lebron's jock, plus ESPN needs someone to make Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith look intelligent by comparison.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:48:31 AM »

Offline Mattson

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
And he does this stuff a lot. It really bugs me.
"My lil' bro Mattson writes about the Celtics and the NBA over at http://www.randomandsome.com/ -- Buckets!"

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 06:01:43 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
How does Steven A. Smith and most of the ESPN crew still have a job?

Here's a fantastic quote from the comments in your article:

The writer of this article says, “Why are we here, again?”

We are here because other writers and yourself and writing and posting articles that say this. THAT is how we got here.

Writers of websites need to write and post articles and they need to be ones that generate clicks.

So who cares if neither team has discussed this with another team. That has nothing to do with posting an article and generating clicks for sponsors.

I mean, this author admitted as much be asking “Why are we here, again?” in his OWN article.

Oh well, it’s how things are today in journalism, all of it, not just sports journalism.

They perpetuate bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. They can perpetuate BS because of marketing, making them seem knowledgeable. They perpetuate bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. to generate clicks, they don't care if they're right.

Rondo being portrayed as a eccentric malcontent generates clicks, when a lot of it is probably conjecture.

The latest on Rondo is that he's optimistic and positive about his return; and he's excited to play for Brad Stevens. You don't hear any of that on the main page of ESPN.

What is on the front page is 38 angles of LeBron dunking.

And garbage trade rumors.

Whatever sells.

ESPN is just sports. Not a big deal.

But what's annoying and concerning is even in "real" news it's just a bunch of bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. Is the news game too competitive?

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 06:08:01 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Lol never gets old
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:35:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's ESPN = not news but sports marketing.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 08:01:20 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

He is like a man with a bag of flour in the middle of a crack house.

I am an addict. No matter how many times I check, I just can't stop myself from going back to him and asking what's in the bag.

I guess I'm the problem. There isn't enough actual basketball news to satisfy me, so I consume rumor posts of the form "There have been no talks yet, but writer so and so said that the Knicks would have interest if Dallas offered Dirk Nowitzki for Amare Stoudemire"

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He made his career hanging off of Lebron's jock, plus ESPN needs someone to make Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith look intelligent by comparison.

Stephen A. Smith used to be a pretty good beat writer, actually. Makes me sad.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 09:31:25 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I was talking with my friend about this kind of thing, how NBA media has become totally obsessed with trades: trades that might be looked at, trades that get made up, trades that might happen next year, trade demands, anything.

And it's not a thing in other sports.  Not that they're never talked about, but when do you see people talking about Calvin Johnson getting traded away from the Lions?  If the NFL was treated like the NBA that would be happening all offseason probably....  "With the Lions in turmoil, will Megatron be traded?".  Or for example there are legit questions about Marshawn Lynch and what the Seahawks do with him for next year.  This guy is one of the very best RBs in the league on the best team and no one talks about that.

NBA is more personal with a smaller group of players, and they have more room to be stars.  And trades can really radically change a team.  I guess that's my guess about what makes it different.  Either way, it's way out of hand.

I blame Bill Simmons hypothetical trades (about all he talks about NBA wise now) and then all the "sources" reporters out there who can just use that word and say whatever they want.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:37:59 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
LOL TP. So true. I wish they'd start holding analysts more accountable for these ridiculous trade rumors. They can actually harm team's morale and chemistry.

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

Props to NYK fans asking if Clippers would have to include a pick in a Melo-Blake swap. There is bold, and there is NYK fan bold.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
It's ESPN = not news but sports marketing.

Precisely.  Not dissimilar from CNN, Fox, etc. either.  Not news, just sensationalism.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:57:08 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I was talking with my friend about this kind of thing, how NBA media has become totally obsessed with trades: trades that might be looked at, trades that get made up, trades that might happen next year, trade demands, anything.

And it's not a thing in other sports.  Not that they're never talked about, but when do you see people talking about Calvin Johnson getting traded away from the Lions?  If the NFL was treated like the NBA that would be happening all offseason probably....  "With the Lions in turmoil, will Megatron be traded?".  Or for example there are legit questions about Marshawn Lynch and what the Seahawks do with him for next year.  This guy is one of the very best RBs in the league on the best team and no one talks about that.

NBA is more personal with a smaller group of players, and they have more room to be stars.  And trades can really radically change a team.  I guess that's my guess about what makes it different.  Either way, it's way out of hand.

I blame Bill Simmons hypothetical trades (about all he talks about NBA wise now) and then all the "sources" reporters out there who can just use that word and say whatever they want.

Also the NFL has a couple of distinct "advantages" that help them avoid the trade coverage--the stars have much less leverage in regards to demanding a trade and free agency, the season is much shorter, and teams have a much tighter leash on their players (which is related to the absence of power in free agency for the players).

However, consider how often people talk about coaches on the hot seat in the NFL, and things like that. There are just as many sourceless puff pieces about the NFL as the NBA, they just cover different things.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Also the NFL has a couple of distinct "advantages" that help them avoid the trade coverage--the stars have much less leverage in regards to demanding a trade and free agency, the season is much shorter, and teams have a much tighter leash on their players (which is related to the absence of power in free agency for the players).

However, consider how often people talk about coaches on the hot seat in the NFL, and things like that. There are just as many sourceless puff pieces about the NFL as the NBA, they just cover different things.

I would much rather have it be about the coaches than something as direct as the players, in the NBA too where individuals are very important, of course. 

Just having stuff like these Carmello situations is so annoying.  When the sport actually has some amazing talent right now for this to be what's talked about, just pretty lame. 

Yes it happens in all sports but I think it's getting particularly bad in the NBA.  I don't see this level of the media just throwing things out there with "sources" that are so disruptive.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't see a problem with this.  I'm sure the Knicks have actually discussed proposing that trade.  And once the rumor was out there I would be surprised if the Clippers didn't talk about it (long enough to at least laugh at the ridiculousness of it). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip