Author Topic: Grant Williams(merged threads)  (Read 37076 times)

Re: When are we going to start talking about Grant Williams’ shooting?
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2019, 02:59:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He was a beast in college.  Williams and schofeild were pretty much the Tennessee offenses.  I was surprised he wasn’t shooting more until now.

He’s such an unusual player. True he’s not very long and he’s not quick off the ground. *But* he is increasingly able to stay in front of wings and guards, and strong enough not to be rooted out by forwards and even some centers. He gave KP trouble and stayed in front of D Rose. That’s so useful. He sets a solid screen, usually well timed; he can punish smaller players in the post. If he hits threes now? Really nice future.

Agree

Really unusual move... running away from the basket for the short fadeaway?

Crafty
I agree, though I think grant has the potential to become a Draymond like player.  Looking forward to watching him develop.
The passing looks really good right? Currently watching the Celtics vs Pistons game in full (I missed it yesterday) and I'm impressed by his passing.
Yeah, it’s continued to impress me too. Something that Brad definitely values in a big too
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2019, 12:14:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yesterdays highlights
https://youtu.be/9bid-mhxsO4

Where are the naysayers now?  ;D

Those who say if he was 2 inches taller he would have gone in the top 7... I agree

« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yesterdays highlights
https://youtu.be/9bid-mhxsO4

Where are the naysayers now?  ;D

Those who say if he was 2 inches taller he would have gone in the top 7... I agree

I was hoping he’d be a baby Horford...2 inches taller, i think he would be Horford 2.0

« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I love when Williams goes up for the rebound, because he has a knack for holding the ball close to his chest when he comes down, so it's almost impossible to really strip him from it.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
He was a beast in college.  Williams and schofeild were pretty much the Tennessee offenses.  I was surprised he wasn’t shooting more until now.

He was a beast in college because he could outmuscle most D-1 post players. He scored most of his points inside and at the free throw line. Problem now being that he can't outmuscle NBA guys like he did in college. I think he can still do some scoring inside if he picks his spots, but yeah, he has to develop a consistent perimeter shot. One good thing is that he has textbook form and releases a soft ball. Watch his free throws.

Plus, he does so many other things so well. It's unusual to see a rookie play such effective weak side defense, but Williams is almost always in the exact right spot on his rotations.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2019, 04:18:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

He was a beast in college because he could outmuscle most D-1 post players. He scored most of his points inside and at the free throw line. Problem now being that he can't outmuscle NBA guys like he did in college. I think he can still do some scoring inside if he picks his spots, but yeah, he has to develop a consistent perimeter shot. One good thing is that he has textbook form and releases a soft ball. Watch his free throws.

Plus, he does so many other things so well. It's unusual to see a rookie play such effective weak side defense, but Williams is almost always in the exact right spot on his rotations.

Robert Williams and Grant Williams looks like a nice blend of strength and length frontcourt duo of the future

Hopefully Robert Williams can stay healthy

« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731

Robert Williams and Grant Williams looks like a nice blend of strength and length frontcourt duo of the future

Rob Williams could learn a lot from Grant Williams on defensive positioning, setting screens and overall intelligent play. If Rob can improve to a level where he can anchor our defense and wreak havoc on the boards and Grant can develop into a future 6th man of the year, we have a bright future.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2019, 08:21:19 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Rob Williams could learn a lot from Grant Williams on defensive positioning, setting screens and overall intelligent play. If Rob can improve to a level where he can anchor our defense and wreak havoc on the boards and Grant can develop into a future 6th man of the year, we have a bright future.

Agreed. Really hope R Williams can get and stay healthy. It’s worrying he’s had so many hip problems. But *if* he can keep developing and builds on the discipline he’s starting to show, we could have a heck of a lineup.

« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2019, 08:30:47 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I'm sure it's already posted and I agree with only giving college performance so much when trying to estimate a professional career, but, the game against Vanderbilt, which I watched the end of last January was quite a show.

Williams hit 22 of 22 from the line and 43 points. A pile of those field goals were layups, he didn't shoot many threes in college.

With his size in the NBA, he's really a winger with a low center gravity.

In college he ran the offense a good deal of the time. Perfect guy for Stevens if he can hit some threes.

« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2019, 08:51:21 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Williams hit 22 of 22 from the line and 43 points. A pile of those field goals were layups, he didn't shoot many threes in college.

His coach would be very content if he could shoot half that, 11 FTA’s! His game lends itself to getting to the line, especially if he can get offensive boards the way he did in the Charlotte game.

With his size in the NBA, he's really a winger with a low center gravity.

I think he’s a swing, but it’s not like there’s a lot of agreement about these designations. He’s often been on the floor with Ojeleye, who’s the same height and weight - Semi can guard down and Grant can guard up.

In college he ran the offense a good deal of the time. Perfect guy for Stevens if he can hit some threes.

Moves the ball and defends. Hitting the offensive board and threes at decent rates look like they’re in his range.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2020, 01:06:51 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
7 for 20 from 3 point land since he hit his first vs Cleveland on 12/9

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Perhaps most importantly his overall TS% has been .635. He's done a good job hitting shots lately.

Less good at not fouling out in 13 minutes  ;D

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2020, 12:13:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Perhaps most importantly his overall TS% has been .635. He's done a good job hitting shots lately.

I think part of that is he's getting the "rookie treatment" from the refs.  I often see plays where he's called for a phantom foul.

« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2020, 01:18:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I think part of that is he's getting the "rookie treatment" from the refs.  I often see plays where he's called for a phantom foul.

he has got hosed on a couple fouls , that the replay showed he was JUST in the neighborhood and was given the foul. He is looking around , like what did i do ?  Announcers reviewed the play and said the same , he was barely in the play , standing and watching .  I don't see how officials can be this sorry at their jobs and keep them

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2020, 02:16:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Celtics get a ton of bad calls and no calls because of youth or time in the lead. Theis gets some of the worst ticky tack or flat out horrible bad calls in the league. Tatum and Brown should be on the free throw line 4-6 more times a game each given all the no calls they get going to the basket. Grant, like Theis, gets lots of disrespect from the refs.

I think they will all have to wait for their time, much like Marcus Smart had to. Smart got no respect from the refs his first 3 or 4 years in the league. Now, he gets a bunch of charges and no calls that used to be fouls against him. I guess you just have to put in your time....or be an instant superstar to get the calls going your way.