Author Topic: Grant Williams(merged threads)  (Read 37032 times)

Re: When are we going to start talking about Grant Williams’ shooting?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 08:29:32 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I think he is being gravely misused, as Stevens tends to do with guys with his skillset. He's best in the high and low post, both in terms of scoring, generating fouls and passing
He's 6'6". No one that small should be playing as a post player. It's good that Brad's using him that way. It's giving tye message of "Develop a 3pt shot and perimeter game, or don't play."
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 08:29:41 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
:o
Rookie plays meaningful minutes for 1st place team, fans deeply concerned.
He got benched in favor of awful Semi tonight, we obviously aren't the only ones who've noticed.

I don’t think Brad put Semi in because he was looking for more offense. At any rate I certainly hope that wasn’t his reason...
Ha, Brad might have lost the plot if that were his reasoning

I also found it puzzling that Semi played deep into the fourth quarter. Honestly, I think Stevens was trying to get him going, give him some confidence closing out a game. Then the Wizards put the outcome in question and Stevens yanked him for Kanter to close it out.

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 08:34:46 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think he is being gravely misused, as Stevens tends to do with guys with his skillset. He's best in the high and low post, both in terms of scoring, generating fouls and passing
He's 6'6". No one that small should be playing as a post player. It's good that Brad's using him that way. It's giving tye message of "Develop a 3pt shot and perimeter game, or don't play."

With Hayward out, it is a great opportunity for him to grab some minutes at the 4. We should have our 3-headed monster back out there at C again very soon - I would hope last night was more of an aberration with the injuries. Grant has to get it together soon, though, because we can't be playing with two non-shooters in the line-up if he is out there with another big.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 08:37:30 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I personally haven’t saw what’s so great in him. Everyone keeps saying how good he is im just waiting to see it.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

With Hayward out, it is a great opportunity for him to grab some minutes at the 4. We should have our 3-headed monster back out there at C again very soon - I would hope last night was more of an aberration with the injuries. Grant has to get it together soon, though, because we can't be playing with two non-shooters in the line-up if he is out there with another big.

We’re 9-1 and he’s a rookie.  He has to get it together by March 1st if he doesn’t want his playing time taken by a buyout veteran and/or veterans already on the club.  He’s doing everything else besides shooting, so he’ll get his 10-15 minutes a night before then.

My biggest concern is that he only attempted one field goal last night (or two if his free throws came from a shooting foul).  I didn’t get to see too much of the game last night — did the ball not find him on offense, or did he pass up open shots?  What I’ve liked to date is that the shots he takes are open and come from the offense — if he doesn’t make them, oh well.  If he didn’t get the ball last night because his teammates don’t trust his shot, that’s more worrisome.

EDIT: Looking at the stats he only got 8 front-court touches compared with 14.4 as his total season average.  For what was a high-paced game, that seems a little worrisome if it’s a trend that continues.  I hope he gets more vs. Golden State, in what should be a similar game as vs. the Wizards (no defense, a ton of possessions).

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 08:47:57 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If he didn't go off last night, I would expect to see the same question asked about Carson Edwards.

Grant is too good a player for me to worry about his poor start from 3 point range. I'm pretty confident by the end of the season it will improve a lot.

And as long as we keep winning like this, who really cares.

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

We’re 9-1 and he’s a rookie.  He has to get it together by March 1st if he doesn’t want his playing time taken by a buyout veteran and/or veterans already on the club.  He’s doing everything else besides shooting, so he’ll get his 10-15 minutes a night before then.

My biggest concern is that he only attempted one field goal last night (or two if his free throws came from a shooting foul).  I didn’t get to see too much of the game last night — did the ball not find him on offense, or did he pass up open shots?  What I’ve liked to date is that the shots he takes are open and come from the offense — if he doesn’t make them, oh well.  If he didn’t get the ball last night because his teammates don’t trust his shot, that’s more worrisome.

EDIT: Looking at the stats he only got 8 front-court touches compared with 14.4 as his total season average.  For what was a high-paced game, that seems a little worrisome if it’s a trend that continues.  I hope he gets more vs. Golden State, in what should be a similar game as vs. the Wizards (no defense, a ton of possessions).

I was more referencing that he has been playing a lot of C and that trend shouldn't continue if we have all of Kanter, Theis, and RW. For as skilled as Grant is, those guys should all be playing ahead of him at the 5.

You are right that Grant does have time. At the very least he has until Christmas when Hayward comes back. I can't imagine he will continue being among the worst shooters in the NBA, but that trend needs to change even if he is playing well in other areas. His usage last night was not promising - especially for such a high scoring game - but I wouldn't put too much stock into one game.

All I am saying is there may come a time - even before the deadline - where other guys surpass him. Semi appears to have fallen apart, so that is good news for Grant. But if Javonte continues to play well or if Romeo is making strides, this will push him further down the depth chart. I know they can't play the 5, but Grant really doesn't really need to right now either.

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Not worried. He has the whole year to learn how to shoot. That's not his primary role, though if he did figure it out he would become twice as valuable to Brad and the team. At least he's adding value in other ways. But if by year end he hasn't figured it out then he's going to become a Semi type player whose use will be limited. I mean Semi's been trying to learn to shoot for 3 years now but he's still in the team and still has a role.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 09:00:37 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think it's too small a sample size to really make any conclusion. We're 10 games in and he averages 3 shots a game, not nearly enough to generate any kind of rhythm or find the range.

Some guys will go 3-12 in the first half then 7 of 10 in the second half. He just hasn't shot enough times to make a real judgement call.

Look at Carsen Edwards for example, it's taking him a while to come around and we know he is capable of shooting lights-out.

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not worried about it because he is a 78% from the line. And 75% from the line at college. He's got a solid jump shot, he's just adjusting to NBA range and game.

Now he might get in his own head a bit and stop shooting, that'd be a problem more than anything for this year. It make take till next year but he'll start making shots in game.

Edit: He'll struggle inside I feel because of his limited size and hops compared to other NBA players (especially other big men since we play him at PF/C)

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 09:18:41 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Not until he stops playing defense and passing.

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 09:30:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
He is a rookie. He has played 10 games. He is still finding his feet both in this league and on this team. He only plays 15mpg and only takes 3 shots a game. Not much time/opportunity to find his rhythm.

He needs patience. So does Carsen Edwards.

No need to overreact. They are young players taking their first steps in the league. They are going through this now to help them be ready later (playoffs) when the team needs them most.

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 09:44:16 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
We got 2 guys with potential in the G league.
Our top pick hasn’t played yet .
Possibly 2 more picks next year.

Semi is probably gone next year.
And Grant will be on the fence if he will not start scoring soon.

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 10:00:06 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
he should be given the Glenn Davis treatment. (kinda the same player with low center of gravity on defence.

Pick n pop inside the arc because he does not have three point range.

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 10:08:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he's taking good shots within the offense so I'm not worried in that context.  a bit concerned that so many good shots are not falling by this point.  Edwards seems to have finally broken the lid of the basket for himself.  hoping Grant does the same soon.