Author Topic: Danny Ainge excuses and lack of trades(merged threads)  (Read 36314 times)

Re: Danny Ainge excuses and lack of trades(merged threads)
« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2020, 10:17:32 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Danny's thoughts (some might say excuses) after the deadline.

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge keeps a John Wooden book on his desk, and he likes to think back to one of the legendary UCLA coach’s famous quotes when the NBA trade deadline arrives.

“Don’t confuse activity with achievement,” Ainge said. “It might be that the best thing you ever did was stand pat. Red [Auerbach] told me in my first year doing the job, ‘The best trades I ever made were the ones I didn’t make. I held restraint.’ I’ve actually often thought of that, because sometimes you start feeling the heat because everybody around you is doing things. It’s like, ‘Oh, my gosh.’ But it doesn’t always mean that it’s making everybody better. It just means that you’re making changes.”

“We were looking to improve our team and we didn’t find any deals,” Ainge said by phone Thursday afternoon. “We’ve been pretty open to making trades over the years, but there’s a time and a place to make deals, and sometimes you just aren’t in those times and places. We didn’t feel like there was anything we needed to do.

“It’s always iffy of how much to give up, but we like our team. And we haven’t been healthy and are a top-five offense and defense in the NBA at this point and haven’t enjoyed the benefit of being healthy.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2020/02/06/celtics-could-add-player-buyout-market-but-don-make-any-moves-trade-deadline/blx0QtDXxOcU4CsTwWuNUM/story.html?p1=HP_Feed_ContentQuery

Totally agree with Danny. No need to keep introducing change for change's sake.

Yeah, stupid Danny with his logic...
While I agree mostly with Danny on the above paragraphs I don’t agree with couple things:
- I think it’s probably ok from time to time make a trade for the sake of making a trade. He had so many picks and kept them close and overvaluing them. He’s sending the wrong message to other GMs

It’s ok to remind other GMs that he is willing to play ball and he doesn’t want to win every trade but to improve his team.

Sometimes you can send a second rounder for a lateral move.
- it sounds like other GMs just don’t want to do business with him :Detroit and wizards turning him down today
trade just for the sake of trading, give up an asset for a lesser asset that's at best a lateral move and overpay to make a trade.  three of the dumbest things a GM can do.   ::)
It does sound dumb but sacrificing a 50th pick for a lateral move and establishing a relationship is not as dumb.

« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2020, 10:46:53 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge keeps a John Wooden book on his desk, and he likes to think back to one of the legendary UCLA coach’s famous quotes when the NBA trade deadline arrives.

“Don’t confuse activity with achievement,” Ainge said. “It might be that the best thing you ever did was stand pat. Red [Auerbach] told me in my first year doing the job, ‘The best trades I ever made were the ones I didn’t make. I held restraint.’ I’ve actually often thought of that, because sometimes you start feeling the heat because everybody around you is doing things. It’s like, ‘Oh, my gosh.’ But it doesn’t always mean that it’s making everybody better. It just means that you’re making changes.”

“We were looking to improve our team and we didn’t find any deals,” Ainge said by phone Thursday afternoon. “We’ve been pretty open to making trades over the years, but there’s a time and a place to make deals, and sometimes you just aren’t in those times and places. We didn’t feel like there was anything we needed to do.

“It’s always iffy of how much to give up, but we like our team. And we haven’t been healthy and are a top-five offense and defense in the NBA at this point and haven’t enjoyed the benefit of being healthy.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2020/02/06/celtics-could-add-player-buyout-market-but-don-make-any-moves-trade-deadline/blx0QtDXxOcU4CsTwWuNUM/story.html?p1=HP_Feed_ContentQuery

While I agree mostly with Danny on the above paragraphs I don’t agree with couple things:
- I think it’s probably ok from time to time make a trade for the sake of making a trade. He had so many picks and kept them close and overvaluing them. He’s sending the wrong message to other GMs

It’s ok to remind other GMs that he is willing to play ball and he doesn’t want to win every trade but to improve his team.

- it sounds like other GMs just don’t want to do business with him :Detroit and wizards turning him down today
trade just for the sake of trading, give up an asset for a lesser asset that's at best a lateral move and overpay to make a trade.  three of the dumbest things a GM can do.   ::)
It does sound dumb but sacrificing a 50th pick for a lateral move and establishing a relationship is not as dumb.

You honestly think that another GM would think Danny giving away a 50th pick would be a relationship builder? I'm not sure that even moves the needle when it comes to building a relationship. I think building a relationship comes from being honest about your needs and trying to create a situation that creates a win-win for both teams. Or bailing someone out, taking significant salary by being the 3rd team in a trade that another team really wants to happen. Those are the things that build relationships and create personal obligations. Those moves you're mentioning seem to be just token things, like giving someone a gift they didn't really need anyway.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Danny Ainge was on Toucher & Rich this morning, and mentioned they're targeting around a March 1 return for Williams. He's starting his transition into live action practices.

« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2020, 11:18:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

- it sounds like other GMs just don’t want to do business with him :Detroit and wizards turning him down today[\b]

How do you know this has anything to do with Ainge?  I read that Ainge was the one walking away from the Wizards bc he wasn’t going to give 2 first rounders for Bertans.  I also read that Detroit rejected whatever offer Ainge gave Detroit bc they weren’t trying to move Wood.  Most likely bc they were trading away their other big man Drummond.

How does that make one think that GMs just don’t want to deal with Danny Ainge?
2 tanking teams turning down draft picks because they want to keep their role players ? 🤔
Maybe they were thinking Danny was ripping them off
Those 2 teams turned down every GM in the league that went calling for those players and rumors are there were a whole lot of GMs calling about Wood and Bertans.

Those GMs in Detroit and Washington must have thought every other GM in the league

was trying to rip them off.

Or, maybe, those GMs didn't want to move their players so set unrealistic price tags on them that they knew would not be met adequately.

It takes two to tango. If Bertans and Wood were moved, maybe you have an argument. But they weren't and a lot of other GMs were rebuffed along with Danny.

As for just trading a 2nd rounder to build relationships, that's dumb. You build relationships by communicating often, being open and honest about why you want to have the relationship and then build that relationship over time by making deals that both teams feel help them or helping each other out in other ways like helping to facilitate a three way trade or voting alongside them on a league issue, whatever. You don't just give them stuff.

« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Lots of great teams just stayed put. Celtics, Bucks, Fakers, Raptors, Jazz, ect. Then add the teams who simply shuffled end-of-bench players (Nuggets, 76ers), who actually improved their teams to a tangible degree? I'd say the Clippers, possibly the Rockets, and... the Heat? Is a possibly washed up Iggy going to do much? I doubt it.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #245 on: February 07, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

- it sounds like other GMs just don’t want to do business with him :Detroit and wizards turning him down today[\b]

How do you know this has anything to do with Ainge?  I read that Ainge was the one walking away from the Wizards bc he wasn’t going to give 2 first rounders for Bertans.  I also read that Detroit rejected whatever offer Ainge gave Detroit bc they weren’t trying to move Wood.  Most likely bc they were trading away their other big man Drummond.

2 tanking teams turning down draft picks because they want to keep their role players ? 🤔
Those 2 teams turned down every GM in the league that went calling for those players and rumors are there were a whole lot of GMs calling about Wood and Bertans.

Those GMs in Detroit and Washington must have thought every other GM in the league

Or, maybe, those GMs didn't want to move their players so set unrealistic price tags on them that they knew would not be met adequately.

It takes two to tango. If Bertans and Wood were moved, maybe you have an argument. But they weren't and a lot of other GMs were rebuffed along with Danny.

As for just trading a 2nd rounder to build relationships, that's dumb. You build relationships by communicating often, being open and honest about why you want to have the relationship and then build that relationship over time by making deals that both teams feel help them or helping each other out in other ways like helping to facilitate a three way trade or voting alongside them on a league issue, whatever. You don't just give them stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of Wood and Bertans become the Memphis Tyreke Evans of this trade deadline.

Both restricted free agents I believe, so will be a little tougher, but we're going to look back in 6 months and watch one of those teams let their player walk for nothing and wonder why they passed up all those deals at the deadline.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #246 on: February 07, 2020, 11:51:11 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

You are right I can only speculate why he was turned down. It’s just that he tried and could not get them.
As for those prized second rounders I would give another example that I think was pathetic :
I don’t know if you guys remember but Danny was holding the Kemba signing and sign and trade of rozier after it was agreed on....
Why? Because he wanted a compensation for doing Charlotte a favor? Like sending them Terry who they couldn’t sign straight up... had to move contracts to open cap space ...
Danny wouldn’t complete that transaction unless he got a second rounder...
I thought he could have just done the sign and trade without asking for anything in return... help out Charlotte and help Terry who was a part of the playoff run two years ago..
Maybe I’m old school and understand relationships one way while everyone else understands them another way... but that was pathetic on Danny’s side

« Reply #247 on: February 07, 2020, 12:11:12 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

You are right I can only speculate why he was turned down. It’s just that he tried and could not get them.
As for those prized second rounders I would give another example that I think was pathetic :
I don’t know if you guys remember but Danny was holding the Kemba signing and sign and trade of rozier after it was agreed on....
Why? Because he wanted a compensation for doing Charlotte a favor? Like sending them Terry who they couldn’t sign straight up... had to move contracts to open cap space ...
I thought he could have just done the sign and trade without asking for anything in return... help out Charlotte and help Terry who was a part of the playoff run two years ago..
Maybe I’m old school and understand relationships one way while everyone else understands them another way... but that was pathetic on Danny’s side

That's not pathetic. GMs (the good ones at least) get compensation for facilitating a move, whether it be by picks, cash or players. Giving away stuff for free is what will get you fired asap. Owners do not like that stuff. This isnt charity.

« Reply #248 on: February 07, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

That's not pathetic. GMs (the good ones at least) get compensation for facilitating a move, whether it be by picks, cash or players. Giving away stuff for free is what will get you fired asap. Owners do not like that stuff. This isnt charity.
If the Celtics are targeting Byombo in buyout market, do you think Charlotte would waive him to help Danny ?

« Reply #249 on: February 07, 2020, 12:52:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

You honestly think that another GM would think Danny giving away a 50th pick would be a relationship builder? I'm not sure that even moves the needle when it comes to building a relationship. I think building a relationship comes from being honest about your needs and trying to create a situation that creates a win-win for both teams. Or bailing someone out, taking significant salary by being the 3rd team in a trade that another team really wants to happen. Those are the things that build relationships and create personal obligations. Those moves you're mentioning seem to be just token things, like giving someone a gift they didn't really need anyway.
agreed

« Reply #250 on: February 07, 2020, 02:48:56 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of Wood and Bertans become the Memphis Tyreke Evans of this trade deadline.

Both restricted free agents I believe, so will be a little tougher, but we're going to look back in 6 months and watch one of those teams let their player walk for nothing and wonder why they passed up all those deals at the deadline.

They’re both unrestricted.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021