Author Topic: If we trade Bass - which I hope we do - who plays back up PF  (Read 5394 times)

Re: If we trade Bass - which I hope we do - who plays back up PF
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 11:44:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think if we trade Bass, it will be for a starting big man.  Which means that Sully would remain the primary backup big man, and Wilcox would slide in as the 4th big man. 

But, in the playoffs, you would only play 3 big men, unless there is foul trouble anyways.
So you want to trade a starting big man for a starting big man (who should hopefully be a better one). Take a moment to step back and assess how ridiculous the notion that this may happen is.

The only wrong part about this post is the part that mentions Bass as a starting big man. He isn't. That was just out of desperation that Bass is a starter. He is at most on part with Big Baby, who wasn't starting, either.
No, it wasn't. It is (and was last season) because that was giving you best chance to win.

Or you can argue that Avery Bradley became a starter from desperation too, just because Ray Allen was no longer fit for the job.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
If Bass was to go it would be for a 6'10" or bigger c/pf.  We would have sully, wilcox, kg and green to play pf.  And before anyone says Green isn't a pg etc etc he would only be there are end of games which we've seen lately.
Are need is size, if we get a gortat or insert name that would be him, kg, wilcox and collins.  good enough rotation

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
If Bass was to go it would be for a 6'10" or bigger c/pf.  We would have sully, wilcox, kg and green to play pf.  And before anyone says Green isn't a pg etc etc he would only be there are end of games which we've seen lately.
Are need is size, if we get a gortat or insert name that would be him, kg, wilcox and collins.  good enough rotation
Green definitely isn't a PG.

Garnett is a center.

Wilcox is... pretty worthless at this stage.

Any other questions? :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I can't believe how horrible some of you think Bass is.  He plays respectable defense.  This year his shooting has been down but recently it has definitely been on the way back.  When he is on, he is a PF with a top of the line mid range game, athletic and can run, and he hits free throws at 85% or so.  He is signed to a three year deal at not unreasonable money.  He'd have a lot of value to a lot of teams, especially faster paced teams.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of bigs in the final years of their contract, who's teams have either no shot of making the playoffs or who are stuck behind younger or more talented big men and not getting playing time who have almost no value to their current team.

Now there may not be a lot of situations where teams and players match up 1 for 1, but there are a lot of situations where three teams might match up and you have teams out there like Dallas who are ready and willing to deal.

Heck every year reasonably talented big men, like Diaw last year, get bought out and sent away with the team cutting him getting only a tiny bit of salary relief as compensation. 

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
No, it wasn't. It is (and was last season) because that was giving you best chance to win.

Or you can argue that Avery Bradley became a starter from desperation too, just because Ray Allen was no longer fit for the job.

We simply didn't have any other PF to play. KG was moved to C, because we simply didn't have any other C to play.
It was our best and also, our sole chance.
Ray moved to the bench to give us a scoring punch and tolerate the dropoff better, so, I don't see a similarity. It's like Kawhi Leonard starting over Manu Ginobili, or Thabo Sefolosha over James Harden.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Green definitely isn't a PG.

Garnett is a center.

Wilcox is... pretty worthless at this stage.

Any other questions? :)
funny, a mistype brings that response  ::)
pf=power forward
wilcox at the beginning of season was playing better than all bigs but kg

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
wilcox at the beginning of season was playing better than all bigs but kg
Yes, if you define "playing" as "converting wide open dunks and layups". Otherwise that statement is pretty ridiculous, as poor as Bass and Sullinger have been playing.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Wilcox led the team in rebounds bouncing off his hands on a per minute basis though!

I don't think he's worthless, though he was definitely a one trick offensive backup.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I don't think he's worthless, though he was definitely a one trick offensive backup.
Yes, I can agree with this. Great for a change of pace plug when you need someone to run up and down with Rondo and give you a couple of loud dunks. A liability when he has to defend someone bigger than him, or when the offense slows down.

Shouldn't be higher than 4th on your big man depth chart -- preferably fifth.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
A mish-mosh of Bass/KG/Sully/Wilcox/Collins would become a mish-mosh of ???/KG/Sully/Wilcox/Collins.

There is NO way Bass gets traded in a one-for-one deal for another PF.  Bass fits our squad better than any incoming PF with matching #s and contract.  There would be no improvement.  The team would simply have to waste time teaching another player.

If Bass gets traded one-for-one (which is still doubtful), it will be for a C.

Depending on the quality of this C, either KG will become the starting PF (with Sully as backup) or the new C will come in as a backup for KG at C, which means we have an issue at PF. 

Sully could start at PF based on fit and talent, but we need his energy off the bench and we need to limit his fouls.  He's still not ready for 30+ minutes per night.  He'll foul out every other game.

Trading Bass straight-up for another PF won't work.  Trading him for a starting C works if we move KG to PF.  Trading Bass for a backup C throws everything out of whack, as Sully cannot pick up all of Bass' minutes and Wilcox won't be a great backup at PF.

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
What better fit, isn't just a better player than Bass though?

Plus fitting with Sullinger isn't the issue, the issue is replacing KG's ability to anchor the defense when he's off the court.

How many guys can do that are available for Bass?

Who says Bass would be traded straight-up to accomplish this? I agree that Bass is the most likely to go, but I think a 1-for-1 deal is not the likelihood.

Looking at these things in a vacuum rarely makes much sense.
Bass + pick? Bass + Fab Melo? Bass + Terry?

Upgrading Bass would be great, he's our weakest starter, I just think its difficult to do.

All possibilities. Or combinations thereof. I could certainly see the Cs combining Bass with a guard (likely Terry) and a pick for a player or players totaling $10-12mil.

Could also be that we take back a player a team wants out of to get one who is a better defender or fit at the 4 or 5.

Just saying this notion of trading Bass for a better Bass straight up is generally absurd. It would need to be a larger deal or include incentives. Ainge has proven to be pretty creative before, I'd imagine he'll have to be again to shed Bass anyway.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 12:13:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't expect Bass to be traded. His contract makes things pretty difficult.

I think the C's best chance at moving Bass is to a team that is desperate for a big man (of any ilk). Someone who will probably be offering a perimeter player rather someone who will offer a center or kind for kind power forward. Since Boston isn't in the market for a perimeter player, I think their options will be extremely limited in trying to trade Bass. Hence, the low to non-existent expectations.

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The best possible outcome of trading Bass would be aquiring Milsap.

Bass, Melo and picks for Milsap?

I highly doubt Bass has anywhere near enough value to net us a center who is capable of starting.  At this point, I'd prefer to keep our guard rotation as is.

I'd also prefer to keep Sully in his bench role.  Starting him might be detrimental, given his propensity to foul.

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sullinger, I would guess.    Bass will be traded for a big if he is traded.

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think if we trade Bass, it will be for a starting big man.  Which means that Sully would remain the primary backup big man, and Wilcox would slide in as the 4th big man. 

But, in the playoffs, you would only play 3 big men, unless there is foul trouble anyways.

I agree. A player such as Mozgov or Gortat would likely start at center, moving KG to the starting power forward, with Sully still coming off the bench at PF, and Wilcox off the bench at C. Then we'd still have Collins as an emergency/situational big (unless he's part of any trade), and the Cs may also end up with another big, either a free agent or buyout guy, or as an extra man in a trade (example: a trade for Mozgov could also net the Cs Anthony Randolph). Either way, we end up with a solid top 4 bigs, with one or two "break in case of emergency" guys.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis