Author Topic: Hornets (24-20) at Celtics (23-22) Game #46 1/19/22  (Read 29452 times)

Re: Hornets (24-20) at Celtics (23-22) Game #46 1/19/22
« Reply #465 on: January 20, 2022, 04:19:21 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
If Tatum and Brown can’t hit 3s we’re pretty doomed. Because they refuse to adjust and attack the hoop and create opportunities for others.

Disappointing loss. Hornets are a lot more cohesive and fun to watch.

According to Brown, just attacking the hoop is apparently easier said than done:

Jaylen Brown — who struggled as well, finishing 2-for-11 from three — noted that getting to the rim isn’t as easy as many suggest.

“It’s the NBA, it doesn’t really work like that,” Brown said. “You have 7-footers down there. You’ve got to make the right play.

“At times we tried to be overly aggressive and get to the basket anyway, but sometimes that leads to turnovers and even worse basketball, so we have to keep taking the open shots.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2022/01/20/celtics-hornets-takeaways-jayson-tatum/?p1=hp_featurestack

Excuses or legit?

Russell Westbrook thinks otherwise...
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #466 on: January 20, 2022, 07:32:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
1: Why was Timelord NOT playing?...because of his new kid?--Sorry, you miss ONE game, not Two

2: Horrible reffing all night---that 3rd on Tatum was garbage.That 5th on GWill was also garbage.

3: We could have used some of that Crash energy form mr. play one good game all year then sit out with a twisted ankle---Gimme a break.

Wow, that’s a really pathetic take.  Grow up.

I think Maxwell's comments are right on target.
No it's a pathetic, immature take. There are things in life more important than a game, right? How is the baby doing? How is the mom?  Any complications? Good employers give a week for paternity leave. Geez some of you guys need to get a grip.

« Reply #467 on: January 20, 2022, 08:36:24 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
1: Why was Timelord NOT playing?...because of his new kid?--Sorry, you miss ONE game, not Two

2: Horrible reffing all night---that 3rd on Tatum was garbage.That 5th on GWill was also garbage.

3: We could have used some of that Crash energy form mr. play one good game all year then sit out with a twisted ankle---Gimme a break.

No it's a pathetic, immature take. There are things in life more important than a game, right? How is the baby doing? How is the mom?  Any complications? Good employers give a week for paternity leave. Geez some of you guys need to get a grip.

Not loving your take either. 'Pathetic' and 'immature' are really strong words. If all went well with the birth and it was actually in the Boston area (this was a home game), it isn't a stretch to want your starting Center to suit up and play. It really makes you appreciate Gordon Hayward's sacrifice back in the 2020. He didn't even get to see his wife or new baby at all until the Cs were eliminated.

I'm not taking a huge stance on this either way as I understand both sides, but I am sure you've had takes that others perceive to be pathetic and immature. Perhaps think before you speak next time.

« Reply #468 on: January 20, 2022, 08:41:05 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Not loving your take either. 'Pathetic' and 'immature' are really strong words. If all went well with the birth and it was actually in the Boston area (this was a home game), it isn't a stretch to want your starting Center to suit up and play. It really makes you appreciate Gordon Hayward's sacrifice back in the 2020. He didn't even get to see his wife or new baby at all until the Cs were eliminated.

I'm not taking a huge stance on this either way as I understand both sides, but I am sure you've had takes that others perceive to be pathetic and immature. Perhaps think before you speak next time.

I mean it's just a job, and it's just a game, and a regular season game at that

« Reply #469 on: January 20, 2022, 08:52:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Tatum and Brown can’t hit 3s we’re pretty doomed. Because they refuse to adjust and attack the hoop and create opportunities for others.

According to Brown, just attacking the hoop is apparently easier said than done:

Jaylen Brown — who struggled as well, finishing 2-for-11 from three — noted that getting to the rim isn’t as easy as many suggest.

“It’s the NBA, it doesn’t really work like that,” Brown said. “You have 7-footers down there. You’ve got to make the right play.

“At times we tried to be overly aggressive and get to the basket anyway, but sometimes that leads to turnovers and even worse basketball, so we have to keep taking the open shots.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2022/01/20/celtics-hornets-takeaways-jayson-tatum/?p1=hp_featurestack

Excuses or legit?
Half and half. He isn't wrong but if the system was better and people hit wide open threes, driving would be easier and driving and kicking would be more successful

I think Brown had at least 5+ potential assists, more than the 6 assists he did have, that yielded no points for the team or assists for him, because players were missing WIDE open three attempts.

The system often doesn't have the Celtics bigs pulling the opposing big outside and too often has people moving off ball straight through the middle of the paint clogging everything up, so that is why the system hurts driving. I've been saying this for quite a while now. It's a massive flaw in Ime's system when he has two extremely successful drive guys on the team.

« Reply #470 on: January 20, 2022, 09:11:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Regarding childbirth, my men are now 27-34 in age. I had to use vacation time for two weeks of the three I got a year to be there when they were born and through the initial, bring them home and get adjusted period. There was no paternity leave back then. But I basically took paternity leaves because it's the right thing to do for your wife(girl friend, significant other), family and yourself.

When my first was born, I worked a 17 hour day, went home to find out my wife was in contractions. Went to the hospital and 30 hours later she delivered. Left the hospital 4 hours after that. Went home to go sleep, but had my mom, mother-in-law and grandmother calling asking for rides to take them to see their first grand child and great grand child. Took a shower. Picked up all the mom's in my life. Went back to the hospital for another 8 hours and then back home.

I was up nearly 72 straight hours. No way I could have gone to work. Not any. Brought my wife and son home the next day after just 8 hours sleep and then had to adjust to needing to help with feeding the baby through the night because my wife had a hard labor, continuing to lose sleep.

If you think this is an uncommon story, you are dead wrong. It's stuff like this that created paternity leave and why men needing to cowboy up and just get their asses to work the next day doesn't happen anymore. If Hayward needed time to leave the bubble, that was fine with me. If Timelord needs some time away, that's fine with me. It's the right thing to do. Your child and significant other are more important than any job, and that includes an NBA game.

BTW, Congrats to Robert and his family on the little one!!!

« Reply #471 on: January 20, 2022, 09:28:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Excuses or legit?

It is easier to get to the basket in today's league than it ever has been in the history of the NBA.

Never has the court been so spaced out and so few interior defenders ready on hand to dissuade a shot attempt.

It has never been easier.

« Reply #472 on: January 20, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Excuses or legit?

It is easier to get to the basket in today's league than it ever has been in the history of the NBA.

Never has the court been so spaced out and so few interior defenders ready on hand to dissuade a shot attempt.

It has never been easier.

That's when you have legitimate shooting. A blogger highlighted just how garbage our spacing is a week ago:
https://twitter.com/StoolGreenie/status/1482392747759652864?t=-LX-CXi_ZAKD-mi7MEo1-Q&s=19
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #473 on: January 20, 2022, 09:40:23 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Regarding childbirth, my men are now 27-34 in age. I had to use vacation time for two weeks of the three I got a year to be there when they were born and through the initial, bring them home and get adjusted period. There was no paternity leave back then. But I basically took paternity leaves because it's the right thing to do for your wife(girl friend, significant other), family and yourself.

When my first was born, I worked a 17 hour day, went home to find out my wife was in contractions. Went to the hospital and 30 hours later she delivered. Left the hospital 4 hours after that. Went home to go sleep, but had my mom, mother-in-law and grandmother calling asking for rides to take them to see their first grand child and great grand child. Took a shower. Picked up all the mom's in my life. Went back to the hospital for another 8 hours and then back home.

I was up nearly 72 straight hours. No way I could have gone to work. Not any. Brought my wife and son home the next day after just 8 hours sleep and then had to adjust to needing to help with feeding the baby through the night because my wife had a hard labor, continuing to lose sleep.

If you think this is an uncommon story, you are dead wrong. It's stuff like this that created paternity leave and why men needing to cowboy up and just get their asses to work the next day doesn't happen anymore. If Hayward needed time to leave the bubble, that was fine with me. If Timelord needs some time away, that's fine with me. It's the right thing to do. Your child and significant other are more important than any job, and that includes an NBA game.

BTW, Congrats to Robert and his family on the little one!!!

TP, Nick.

This whole "women folk tend to the chil'ren" thinking is so dated and sad. Rob's basketball career can end tomorrow for any number of reasons, his family is a lifelong commitment.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #474 on: January 20, 2022, 11:39:43 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
So I attended last night's game - got to watch the debacle in person. One thing really stood out to me beyond the obvious. Freedom is overweight and out of shape.

Throughout his career he has been an excellent rebounder. Last night he was repeatedly outquicked to the ball, got a hand on it and couldn't control it. And this was in addition to being his usual statue self on defense. He just looked slow and disinterested - though granted he wasn't the only one.

Ime had to play him with Rob out - but he gave them nothing.

« Reply #475 on: January 20, 2022, 11:41:59 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
TP to Nick and RJ on the Timelord take. I’m ok for Timelord to take the time (pun intended) to spend with mom and baby if he or mom doesn’t feel it’s family time (pun again intended) still. Children’s births don’t happen every day. I’m sure the organization and his teammates have zero problem with his absence.

The only ones that would are fans, and that’s because we have a transactional view of players…we don’t really know them personally, they are just tools to help our team advance in a sport we follow. Some people might lack the empathy they would otherwise have for someone they personally knew in the same situation. Even more so when the team is struggling and just lost a game they may have won, thus ruining the night for some of us  :police:  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #476 on: January 20, 2022, 11:44:46 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I also didn't realize that they were in the bonus with over 8 minutes left and didn't shoot one free throw after. I was constantly screaming for someone to advance the ball towards the basket but Schroder sure as heck wasn't interested in doing that. Prithard had a nice stint in the 4th when they made up some ground but when he was in during the first half, he was doing the same thing as Schroder.

On the other side Lemelo was totally picking them apart.  This team needs a floor general so badly it's kind of a joke.

« Reply #477 on: January 20, 2022, 11:54:47 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
So I attended last night's game - got to watch the debacle in person. One thing really stood out to me beyond the obvious. Freedom is overweight and out of shape.

Throughout his career he has been an excellent rebounder. Last night he was repeatedly outquicked to the ball, got a hand on it and couldn't control it. And this was in addition to being his usual statue self on defense. He just looked slow and disinterested - though granted he wasn't the only one.

Ime had to play him with Rob out - but he gave them nothing.

Yeah, I’m right there with you on Freedom.  Saw him in person on Monday for the first time, and this is what I posted:

I didn’t realize until seeing it in person how bad Enes Freedom is.  He’s in the wrong place 3 out of 4 defensive possessions.  And at least today his offense is bad too.

« Reply #478 on: January 20, 2022, 12:12:01 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If there was ever a saying that described the Celtics it's..."Stuck between a rock and a hard place."

The organization is patiently praying for the maturity of the J's so they can guiltlessly add to them and flourish. While also knowing they don't have enough talent around them to get over .500 and hoping like hell they're not wasting time beating a dead horse.

I certainly hope the braintrust doesn't wait too long to make a move, one way or the another, because this is tough to watch.

« Reply #479 on: January 20, 2022, 12:24:10 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Excuses or legit?

Little of both. 

Teams don't fear the Celtics' ability to beat them from the outside, so the lane is more congested for us than it is for many other teams in the league.  And until we're able to punish teams for sagging into the paint consistently, that's going to keep being a problem for us. 

The best short-term solution is to RUN.  Attack defenses before they can set up and take the paint away.  We have a young, athletic team.  Get Jaylen out on the break, where he's one of the most dangerous players in the league.  Instead we play this slow, grind-it-out style that does not play to our best players' strengths.  Tatum CAN iso when it's needed, but he's not actually efficient at it.  That should be our play when our other options bust.  Instead it's what we seek out. 

I think an offseason goal of ours should be to turn Rob Williams into one of the best outlet passers in the league.  He has the tools for it.  Use his rebounding and vision and GO.