Poll

You alone decide: should Ime go?

Yes….right now!
21 (21%)
Maybe, but not right now.
33 (33%)
No, not even close to enough time to evaluate him.
38 (38%)
No way, love the guy.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: February 23, 2022, 05:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Ime has got to go!  (Read 83008 times)

Re: Ime has got to go!
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2022, 07:47:52 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Ime has nothing to work with, so it’s really not his fault…got one of the worst bench in NBA..no scoring PG..

I agree to certain degree. But with the game in hand with around 3 mins left, do we  really wanna see the starters out there? I mean one injury to JT/JB would be disastrous. I still feel we have something in Neismith and Pritchard. Romeo is just too injury prone, but he has shown flashes too. I know Ime wants to keep his job but how can you develop the bench guys if you don’t even let them play at the end of blow out games? You can’t expect them all to be like Vinnie Johnson who can just come in cold from the bench and start cooking. Of the three I really wanna see more minutes for Neismith. Give the kid some consistent minutes and see what happens. He has the potential to be another JRich - a 3&D hustle guy.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 08:01:18 PM by radiohead »

« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2022, 08:29:15 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Ime has nothing to work with, so it’s really not his fault…got one of the worst bench in NBA..no scoring PG..

Schroder is averaging 16pts per game off the bench. Which teams do you think have a better bench rotation then Schroder, Richardson, Grant Williams and Kanter? I bet there aren’t many.  The coach has plenty to work with and the defense has been solid for a while now. The issue is Ime isn’t good when it comes to the offensive end. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 08:42:34 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2022, 09:53:37 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Dude is fighting for his job right now. Sure, he can play the young kids more and lose. But he wasn’t brought it to develop the young kids. That time has come and gone. He’s worried (and rightfully so) about results. And right now they need wins in the worst way so he is justified in shortening his rotation and making sure they can close out games.

I’m also not sure how much more rope some of the guys are going to get. Langford/Nesmith/Pritchard should be feeling pressure because they haven’t been able to make use of the opportunities they have gotten. Personally, all these guys are tradeable and Udoka knows this too. Don’t think any of these guys will be here post trade deadline.

If they are so bad who will trade for them? You are telling teams by not playing them that they are unplayable. I guess you can throw in this year's first rounder to dump them. Maybe Pritchard, Nesmith, Romeo and a 1st for Terrence Ross. Three young inconsistent players and a pick for an old inconsistent guy.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 10:00:15 PM by liam »

« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2022, 10:21:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Dude is fighting for his job right now. Sure, he can play the young kids more and lose. But he wasn’t brought it to develop the young kids. That time has come and gone. He’s worried (and rightfully so) about results. And right now they need wins in the worst way so he is justified in shortening his rotation and making sure they can close out games.

I’m also not sure how much more rope some of the guys are going to get. Langford/Nesmith/Pritchard should be feeling pressure because they haven’t been able to make use of the opportunities they have gotten. Personally, all these guys are tradeable and Udoka knows this too. Don’t think any of these guys will be here post trade deadline.

If they are so bad who will trade for them? You are telling teams by not playing them that they are unplayable. I guess you can throw in this year's first rounder to dump them. Maybe Pritchard, Nesmith, Romeo and a 1st for Terrence Ross. Three young inconsistent players and a pick for an old inconsistent guy.
They will be used as filler. Langford is in 3rd year and looks like he’ll be out of the league soon. He’s a total zero on offense and is also always hurt. Pritchard was promising last year but has come crashing down to earth. Nesmith like a headless chicken. Just runs around and bring some energy but nothing really of substance. Maybe some team take a flyer on them and give them some playing time on a bad/lottery team. Cs need proven guys that know and can perform/fit a role around the Jays.

« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2022, 10:54:36 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

They will be used as filler. Langford is in 3rd year and looks like he’ll be out of the league soon. He’s a total zero on offense and is also always hurt. Pritchard was promising last year but has come crashing down to earth. Nesmith like a headless chicken. Just runs around and bring some energy but nothing really of substance. Maybe some team take a flyer on them and give them some playing time on a bad/lottery team. Cs need proven guys that know and can perform/fit a role around the Jays.

They could've kept Bane who was NBA ready. Could've Kept Theis who was proven. Could've kept Green who could play in Chicago. Could've kept Fournier who can shoot. Could've kept Strus who can shoot. Could've kept Garrison Mathews who scored 17 yesterday 4-6 from 3. We need shooters. If you aren't going to develop guys in the NBA and you aren't a top team who's coming to play for you? The Bucks are loaded and keep drafting useful guys in the late rounds. Miami too. Who are we getting? Where are these useful vets? Useful vets go and sign with contenders to chase a ring. We need to develop some players. As hards as it is for me to say, we aren't competing for anything this year. It's a bridge year like it or not. Terrance Ross isn't putting us in the top 4. We are a young team that is building and these are the pieces we have right now. Selling low on them gets you nothing. Austin Reeves is a rookie two way contract player averaging 20 minutes a game for the Lakers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:14:07 PM by liam »

« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2022, 11:14:19 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Minor counterpoint, I like Grant Williiams this season, and Rob Williams.

« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2022, 04:57:14 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I’m not the biggest Bill Simmons fan but I kinda agree with him here:

https://fadeawayworld.net/.amp/nba-media/bill-simmons-takes-a-shot-at-the-boston-celtics-system-if-you-look-at-the-way-memphis-and-golden-state-have-developed-their-young-players-something-is-broken-on-the-celtics-side

Of course Ime isn’t totally responsible for this but I thought he’d be different from Brad with how he was gonna use the young guys.

« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2022, 07:16:02 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

https://fadeawayworld.net/.amp/nba-media/bill-simmons-takes-a-shot-at-the-boston-celtics-system-if-you-look-at-the-way-memphis-and-golden-state-have-developed-their-young-players-something-is-broken-on-the-celtics-side

Of course Ime isn’t totally responsible for this but I thought he’d be different from Brad with how he was gonna use the young guys.

It’s really about 2 players, Nesmith and Langford.  If either of them were producing and earning regular minutes this article wouldn’t have been written.  Moreover if the Cs had made more prescient draft selections the article wouldn’t have been written.

« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2022, 09:15:58 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

youth development has been a disappointment in the past few years.  I typically give a rookie 3 years to show something and that's how long it's been taking their picks to show something because they've been primarily picking young kids out of college.  the exceptions to that were GWill and Pritchard who were able to show something as rookies -- partially because they had developed more in college.

Romeo is showing he's a high quality defender and can drive out of the corner to the bucket for some offense.  Nesmith shows a lot of energy but it's not focussed, yet.   For me, the biggest issue with these 2 isn't that I don't think there's talent there but the way they (and the vets too for that matter) are used in the half-assed offensive schemes Brad and now Ime use.  Absolutely despise this nonsense of sticking a player in each corner while they dribble out the clock at the top of the key.  offense needs movement from all the players or get into an offensive set and run a play.  better offensive coaching would get better offensive results from these 2 players.  That's a big part of why other teams get better development out of their young players.

« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2022, 10:37:57 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I totally agree with Bill Simmons. Other teams have rookies, 2nd year guys, and two way contract players who get minutes and get to play through their mistakes.

« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2022, 10:51:30 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

They could've kept Bane who was NBA ready. Could've Kept Theis who was proven. Could've kept Green who could play in Chicago. Could've kept Fournier who can shoot. Could've kept Strus who can shoot. Could've kept Garrison Mathews who scored 17 yesterday 4-6 from 3. We need shooters. If you aren't going to develop guys in the NBA and you aren't a top team who's coming to play for you? The Bucks are loaded and keep drafting useful guys in the late rounds. Miami too. Who are we getting? Where are these useful vets? Useful vets go and sign with contenders to chase a ring. We need to develop some players. As hards as it is for me to say, we aren't competing for anything this year. It's a bridge year like it or not. Terrance Ross isn't putting us in the top 4. We are a young team that is building and these are the pieces we have right now. Selling low on them gets you nothing. Austin Reeves is a rookie two way contract player averaging 20 minutes a game for the Lakers.
Which guys exactly have the Bucks drafted and developed? Outside of Divencenzo who was a mid first round pick, I can’t think of any to note. Same with Miami. Herro was a lottery pick. I guess you can say Duncan Robinson as UDFA. I agree that the Cs have issues as far as talent scouting department. Too many misses in the mid lottery over the years.

« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2022, 11:05:25 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am not sure if there is a problem here or not.  We developed Tatum, Brown, Smart, RWill, and GWill just fine.  And you could throw Pritchard in on the "good" side of the ledger also.  Langford and Nesmith not so much.  Tacko Fall and some others don't even matter.

Is there really a problem here and if there is, is it a problem with development of the talent or the talent itself?  I don't think it is correct to say that a young player should be given playing time in order to develop.  It is fair and correct that they have to earn the playing time.

If there were cases of young players failing in Boston but then going on to other teams and being properly developed and successful, that would add some credence to the argument.  But I can't think of a case of that happening.  Do you really think that if we traded Nesmith to GSW, that they would "develop" him into a player or do you think he would sit on the bench there too?

Some players do seem to be stuck in a sort of limbo.  Too good to be G-League but not good enough for regular NBA playing time (at least on teams trying to win).  Nesmith is that but he just needs to get better if he wants to earn NBA playing time.  Or I guess get traded to a team like OKC or HOU.  I don't think it would be any different on GSW or SAN.

« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2022, 11:18:37 AM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
The history of the Celtics under Brad Stevens is that certain Celtic role players get a career boost and go elsewhere for more money but don't perform as well. Evan Turner, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Isiah Thomas, and even in a way Al Horford all seemed to play better here in Boston playing a defined role than they played after leaving: some for a big payday. I think there are a few who blossomed after leaving the Celtics, but no one bats 1.000

« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2022, 11:56:37 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Which guys exactly have the Bucks drafted and developed? Outside of Divencenzo who was a mid first round pick, I can’t think of any to note. Same with Miami. Herro was a lottery pick. I guess you can say Duncan Robinson as UDFA. I agree that the Cs have issues as far as talent scouting department. Too many misses in the mid lottery over the years.

Giannis, Thanis, DiVincenzo, They brought in and developed Middleton and Connaughton. Jordan Nwora and Sandro have seen time this year both late second rounders.

« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2022, 11:58:39 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
The history of the Celtics under Brad Stevens is that certain Celtic role players get a career boost and go elsewhere for more money but don't perform as well. Evan Turner, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Isiah Thomas, and even in a way Al Horford all seemed to play better here in Boston playing a defined role than they played after leaving: some for a big payday. I think there are a few who blossomed after leaving the Celtics, but no one bats 1.000

If your two lottery picks are unplayable in years 2 and 3 then you either suck at drafting or suck at development. If we had kept Bane instead of shipping him to Memphis for nothing would he even have played or would he be sitting on the end of our bench twiddling his thumbs?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 12:05:59 PM by liam »