Poll

You alone decide: should Ime go?

Yes….right now!
21 (21%)
Maybe, but not right now.
33 (33%)
No, not even close to enough time to evaluate him.
38 (38%)
No way, love the guy.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: February 23, 2022, 05:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Ime has got to go!  (Read 82252 times)

Re: Ime has got to STAY!
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2022, 11:43:49 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I am a bit surprised, but happy, by this news on twitter....

Tweet

@HalfCourtHoops

The Boston Celtics are the #1 team in the NBA in After Time Out Situations - part 1 in a new series breaking down their favorite sets.

Boston Celtics ATOs: Creative Guard Design

Huh ?

Ime's ATO plays consist of giving Tatum the ball and clearing everyone else out of the way so he can go 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 or however many defenders he dribbles into before putting up a heavily-contested step-back fadeaway of some sort.

You are watching a different Boston Celtics team than I am. Ime rarely calls an ATO play for Jayson, let alone an iso. Celtics plays are designed with multiple options, in any case (not unlike other NBA teams).

Eventually Ime will get his due around here. He's an acute observer, as his press conferences show, and has a balanced and integrated overview of strategy and tactics. He has a keen basketball mind. Most important, though, his team plays some of the best defense in the league - that's the real mark of a coach who is succeeding at his job, the most important measure. That only happens when the head coach is a leader of men.

It has been agonizingly slow to bring the offense some workability; it's only about now that Jayson's and Jaylen's Assist %s have gotten up almost to where they were last year, to pick one critical statistic among many. It's telling that both of those guys' Ast%s have gradually crept up as the season has gone on; and that is  one of many reasons for optimism for Boston Celtics fans.

Many have pointed out - and not without reason - that the recent competition has been weak. And yet the offensive execution has been at a level we didn't see as recently as New Year's.

Here's the bottom line: Ime Udoka has shown that he's an outstanding NBA head coach, and he will be the Celtics' head coach for years.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 12:11:02 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

Re: Ime has got to go!
« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2022, 11:19:48 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I want to give Udoka a shout-out for his handling of garbage time recently.  On Friday, the garbage boys nearly blew a 22-point lead, having been brought in with that margin and four minutes to go, to it being a 7-point game with one minute left.  Instead of bringing back in the starters to finish out the game, as happened earlier this season and at least once last year, he kept them in, and they held on.  The following two games, they increased the lead when brought in vs. Orlando with 5 minutes left, and again last night they outscored the Nets while playing the entire 4th quarter.  It started to go a little south at the beginning of the quarter, but they regrouped and pulled away.  Hopefully the deep bench is getting a little more confident in their abilities, as we're likely to need at least a couple of them to step up again at some point over the next two months.

« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2022, 06:23:19 PM »

Kiorrik

I want to give Udoka a shout-out for his handling of garbage time recently.  On Friday, the garbage boys nearly blew a 22-point lead, having been brought in with that margin and four minutes to go, to it being a 7-point game with one minute left.  Instead of bringing back in the starters to finish out the game, as happened earlier this season and at least once last year, he kept them in, and they held on.  The following two games, they increased the lead when brought in vs. Orlando with 5 minutes left, and again last night they outscored the Nets while playing the entire 4th quarter.  It started to go a little south at the beginning of the quarter, but they regrouped and pulled away.  Hopefully the deep bench is getting a little more confident in their abilities, as we're likely to need at least a couple of them to step up again at some point over the next two months.

I noticed this too.

In past games, he had to bring JRich/Grant back in, but he's trying to let the yungins roll.

Yesterday Ime called a timeout during a Nets run to get them back on track and afterwards they performed heaps better.

Cool to see them be trusted to close out.

« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2022, 06:59:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I agree. Good to see. I keep hearing how those guys won't make a difference but they might have to. A lot of times role players make the difference in the playoffs.  Last year it was PJ Tucker.

« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2022, 07:16:07 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I judged Ime too early based on his lack of ATO play calling but obviously he is doing something right now so Ime....my apologies and good job!!

« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2022, 07:53:27 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I noticed this too.

In past games, he had to bring JRich/Grant back in, but he's trying to let the yungins roll.

Yesterday Ime called a timeout during a Nets run to get them back on track and afterwards they performed heaps better.

Almost as if it takes time to learn stuff, even coaching.

« Reply #261 on: February 09, 2022, 07:54:55 PM »

Kiorrik

I noticed this too.

Almost as if it takes time to learn stuff, even coaching.

Get out.

Please, no sensible, logical takes, thanks.

« Reply #262 on: February 09, 2022, 09:08:27 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The best thing about the win against Brooklyn yesterday was that 28-2 start.

I know that sounds obvious but 3 months ago, the Celtics would've looked at the team across from them, played down to their competition, messed around and it would've been a nailed-biter for no reason. Or maybe they would've just lost. Instead, last night they came out focused and took care or business early.

I think that's a really important change.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #263 on: February 09, 2022, 09:09:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
This feels like the new endless "Are you a Fan of Terry Rozier" thread lol  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2022, 02:46:55 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
This feels like the new endless "Are you a Fan of Terry Rozier" thread lol  :laugh:

I predict it will get bumped up each time we lose and people are in a wrist slitting mood  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2022, 06:57:03 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Exactly

You can tell who won the last game by looking for the Hang Ime threads to appear . 

BTW ….I’m still glade the hotdog is gone.  ;)

« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2022, 09:06:47 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I predict it will get bumped up each time we lose and people are in a wrist slitting mood  :police:
I'm bumping it after 8th win in a row. It seems convenient.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2022, 09:28:29 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
He has the team playing very good defense, but I’m still not loving the offense. Team is just outside of the top 10 in 3pt shot attempts(36.5), and the only team in the league that takes more 3’s(37.7) and shoots a worse percentage than Boston is OKC. C’s are 24th out of 30 teams for the worst 3pt percentage in the NBA.

When the C’s go up against playoff caliber teams, taking and missing so many 3’s will cost them games.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2022, 10:36:45 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
He has the team playing very good defense, but I’m still not loving the offense. Team is just outside of the top 10 in 3pt shot attempts(36.5), and the only team in the league that takes more 3’s(37.7) and shoots a worse percentage than Boston is OKC. C’s are 24th out of 30 teams for the worst 3pt percentage in the NBA.

When the C’s go up against playoff caliber teams, taking and missing so many 3’s will cost them games.

All of this. When the 3's don't fall, they have no plan B. This will catch up to them.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2022, 10:46:52 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

All of this. When the 3's don't fall, they have no plan B. This will catch up to them.

Well since they're 24th in 3PT% that means the 3's aren't typically falling. And they're still ranked 10th in offense and able to win more than they lose. Seems like something good is happening.