Poll

You alone decide: should Ime go?

Yes….right now!
21 (21%)
Maybe, but not right now.
33 (33%)
No, not even close to enough time to evaluate him.
38 (38%)
No way, love the guy.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: February 23, 2022, 05:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Ime has got to go!  (Read 82987 times)

Re: Ime has got to go!
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2022, 08:11:20 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Ime once again throwing the players under the bus… take some GD responsibility for your awful coaching. I’m getting major Bobby Valentine vibes from him, maybe he really is a one year coach for this team…

Here is the full press conference where he called out the team for a lack of mental toughness, as well as the report of the press conference from Masslive.com.

https://youtu.be/Vgq7lX-3kBY

“It’s a lack of mental toughness to fight through those adverse times,” Udoka said. “It’s across the board. It’s a turnover here, a bad shot here, a missed defensive assignment here, and several missed rebounds tonight. So it’s a lot of different things. A calming presence to slow it down and get us what we want is really what you need at that point. And sometimes we all get caught up in it.”

Udoka mentioned the C’s get rattled even when “it’s not the end of the world. Either we’re going to make some adjustments and get tired of it or it’s going to keep happening,” Udoka said. “... We need some leadership. Somebody that can calm us down and not get rattled when everything starts to go a little south. I think it snowballs between our guys.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/01/ime-udoka-calls-out-celtics-lack-of-mental-toughness-after-close-loss-blown-lead-to-knicks.html

I don’t know but for me this pretty much shows that Ime has lost his locker room. When guys aren’t responding in private, you go and wash your dirty laundry in public, with hopes that the players get jolted or something and start performing as you would like to.

My problem with this is he’s pinning the blame on the players alone. They “get rattled even when it’s not the end of the world”?  That’s a very bad thing for a coach to say in public. I mean if a guy like Scal says that while covering a game then that’s fine. But for Ime to say that, it’s like he’s washing his hands from all this mess. I’m really starting to hate his huge ego.

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2022, 08:30:53 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Fire Udoka

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2022, 08:33:47 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Ime once again throwing the players under the bus… take some GD responsibility for your awful coaching. I’m getting major Bobby Valentine vibes from him, maybe he really is a one year coach for this team…

Here is the full press conference where he called out the team for a lack of mental toughness, as well as the report of the press conference from Masslive.com.

https://youtu.be/Vgq7lX-3kBY

“It’s a lack of mental toughness to fight through those adverse times,” Udoka said. “It’s across the board. It’s a turnover here, a bad shot here, a missed defensive assignment here, and several missed rebounds tonight. So it’s a lot of different things. A calming presence to slow it down and get us what we want is really what you need at that point. And sometimes we all get caught up in it.”

Udoka mentioned the C’s get rattled even when “it’s not the end of the world. Either we’re going to make some adjustments and get tired of it or it’s going to keep happening,” Udoka said. “... We need some leadership. Somebody that can calm us down and not get rattled when everything starts to go a little south. I think it snowballs between our guys.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/01/ime-udoka-calls-out-celtics-lack-of-mental-toughness-after-close-loss-blown-lead-to-knicks.html

I don’t know but for me this pretty much shows that Ime has lost his locker room. When guys aren’t responding in private, you go and wash your dirty laundry in public, with hopes that the players get jolted or something and start performing as you would like to.

My problem with this is he’s pinning the blame on the players alone. They “get rattled even when it’s not the end of the world”?  That’s a very bad thing for a coach to say in public. I mean if a guy like Scal says that while covering a game then that’s fine. But for Ime to say that, it’s like he’s washing his hands from all this mess. I’m really starting to hate his huge ego.

I loved watching Udoka play. He never got rattled. He was rock solid. Just about every play he made on the court was a winning play to help his team. He wasn't the most talented player but he was extremely well disciplined & committed to both his role and his team.

« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2022, 09:33:57 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
It’s Brad’s job to know the answer, not mine. And it’s a good thing it’s not mine because I have no idea.  I hope Brad does. 

Ime’s been auditioning for 4 months now and either Brad sees the hire as a mistake, sees him as a good coach with a flawed roster, or sees him as a inexperienced coach with potential who presides over an underperforming team but needs time to develop (coach and team).  It’s Brad’s job to know the answer and I presume (what realistic choice do I have?) that he knows a lot better than I do.  If he doesn’t, he’s the problem.

Whether Brad is conservative or aggressive in the next few weeks may provide a hint about  whether he thinks it’s more coach than roster or more roster than coach.

I'm actually looking at it from an even wider lens than that. I think it would also help for us to know what Brad is tasked with. Is it:

1. Banner 18 or bust?
2. Banner 18 or bust, within a year?
3. Banner 18 or bust, but you have the chance to build your team over time and be a perennial powerhouse, even if it means losing right now.
4. Finish in the top 4 in the East consistently, make a deep playoff run and make sure the team is profitable. Banner 18 is a bonus.
5. Make sure the team is making money even if it is losing (e.g. Knicks) and increase the team's value. It's all about the Benjamins so it can be sold 10 years from now for a healthy profit.

Most of us are Banner 18 or bust folks, because that's what invests us in the team as fans. But Wyc may have tasked Brad with some completely different things. I would have to believe that the owners ultimately want another championship, because if they didn't, if all they wanted was to keep the money rolling in, I might start to lose faith in them. As you say Brad's actions over the next few months will give us clues as to where their heads are at.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2022, 01:02:52 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Ime has not changed his approach to coaching since opening night. He's approaching each game, as if it's game 7 of the Finals and running the starters into the ground. That philosophy does not work during the regular season, where you need to take a more long term approach and manage the players minutes and develop the young guys.

« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2022, 01:14:39 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Since this essentially feels like the same offense for a few years now, where its so 3 point reliant, is this a organization philosophy brought down by ownership, where analytics are essentially coaching the team (aka the Tampa Ray's approach in MLB)?

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2022, 01:48:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
My wife says she could care less if Ime can coach or not .   I asked why ?

If she has to watch dang basketball with me,  ;D  by god she wants a good looking Celtics  coach to look at .     Doc looks like a ruptured frog to her.

Whelp there you have it !    Stevens made the correct hire. …..for some fans

But but but …how come we don’t get to see Nia Long…..not fair.

« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2022, 01:52:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
My wife says she could care less if Ime can coach or not .   I asked why ?

If she has to watch dang basketball with me,  ;D  by god she wants a good looking Celtics  coach to look at .     Doc looks like a ruptured frog to her.

Whelp there you have it !    Stevens made the correct hire. …..for some fans

HAHAHAHAHAHA TP - for your wife :')

Shame on Brad for not including a clause in the contract for Nia Long to attend a minimum number of games per year.

« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2022, 02:04:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Ime needs to try something different. He's marginalized half the roster. We are going to need the whole roster to be able to play at some point. He should be putting guys in a position to succeed instead of in spots where they are going to fail. Coach needs to find energy guys on the bench that can come into a game when we have these leads and keep the lead. On back to backs guys who haven't played continue to not play. Saying he's just going to play his five best isn't going to work in a long NBA season. Every team I watch other than the Celtics goes into their deep bench almost every game.

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2022, 02:18:17 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Off the top of my head there are only two things that I can praise Ime for:

1) When both are available, staggering Tatum and Brown so that at least one of them are on the court at almost all times.  Brad did a terrible job at this, and would roll out some of the dumbest lineups to start 2nd or 4th quarters (or midway through some quarters) that would predictably struggle, causing our team to lose rhythm that we often could not regain.  Brad continued to do this all season despite poor results.

2) He seems to have gotten Tatum to complain a bit less after not receiving foul calls he wants.  He still does it obviously, but he no longer whines after every single play.

Other than that Ime has been an utter failure thus far, deserving every bit of an "F" grade.  We have a 40 game sample (OK fine, 39) that while small has been so unimpressive that I am willing to part ways with him midway through the season.  He is bad at pregame planning, after timeout plays, in-game adjustments, rotation decisions, and offensive and defensive scheming.  He also is not able to get his players to play with consistent effort and does not seem to hold them accountable (which speaks also to the need for roster changes). 

I've been wondering what he and the players have been discussing during film sessions.  Our offense in the 4th quarter is so incredibly flawed and predictable that I am in disbelief that Ime would have the nerve to call out the team the way he did.  He hasn't made any adjustments and doesn't seem capable of doing so.

Wish I had more positive things to say.

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2022, 02:47:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Off the top of my head there are only two things that I can praise Ime for:

1) When both are available, staggering Tatum and Brown so that at least one of them are on the court at almost all times.  Brad did a terrible job at this, and would roll out some of the dumbest lineups to start 2nd or 4th quarters (or midway through some quarters) that would predictably struggle, causing our team to lose rhythm that we often could not regain.  Brad continued to do this all season despite poor results.

2) He seems to have gotten Tatum to complain a bit less after not receiving foul calls he wants.  He still does it obviously, but he no longer whines after every single play.

Other than that Ime has been an utter failure thus far, deserving every bit of an "F" grade.  We have a 40 game sample (OK fine, 39) that while small has been so unimpressive that I am willing to part ways with him midway through the season.  He is bad at pregame planning, after timeout plays, in-game adjustments, rotation decisions, and offensive and defensive scheming.  He also is not able to get his players to play with consistent effort and does not seem to hold them accountable (which speaks also to the need for roster changes). 

I've been wondering what he and the players have been discussing during film sessions.  Our offense in the 4th quarter is so incredibly flawed and predictable that I am in disbelief that Ime would have the nerve to call out the team the way he did.  He hasn't made any adjustments and doesn't seem capable of doing so.

Wish I had more positive things to say.

I also wish I could be more positive but as you said the team is predictable and a mess with little to no coaching happening. If you watch Maimi that has been killed with missing man hours as well they are being coached so much better. So are most of the teams in the NBA. Does anyone on this board think that we wouldn't be a better team if we swapped coaches with any other team in the NBA?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 02:56:04 PM by liam »

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2022, 02:55:39 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Ime needs to try something different.

Maybe ?    “ Just for Men “.

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2022, 02:56:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Sercet...

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2022, 03:03:00 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Sercet...

???  Victoria’s 

Wow !   Shiver me timber’s  :o

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2022, 03:12:44 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
https://twitter.com/MoDakhil_NBA/status/1479473604412592131?s=20

This isn't an Ime problem. This is a player problem.