Author Topic: Cobra Kai  (Read 2635 times)

Cobra Kai
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I have to admit, I've been very much looking forward to this continuation of the Karate Kid franchise. Not going to get my hopes up overall, but I hope to be entertained.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwwxNbtK6Y

Cobra Kai now available on Youtube Red:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rB36UGoP4Y&list=PLxm--8AYWEDelTYpYi2zulMEw-0T-M5IH

Re: Cobra Kai
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 10:14:42 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Did they release 1 a week or all at once?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 10:29:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Did they release 1 a week or all at once?

All at once it seems, at least that's how the playlist looks on the link I posted.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 11:43:28 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
I watched all 10 episodes...love the 80's soundtrack and references, and the flashbacks from the original movie, while paying homage to the late and great Mr. Miyagi, was very nostalgic. Also the backstory of Johnny when he was younger was a nice touch and showed how his life spiraled down after losing to Daniel in the tournament . I got the free month subscription to YT Red, but I would have easily paid to see this as I was a huge fan of the Karate Kid growing up and it didn't disappoint.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 12:16:06 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Thought this was a thread on Marcus Smart, the only Cobra we should talk about on this board. ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:25:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Thought this was a thread on Marcus Smart, the only Cobra we should talk about on this board.

Me, too. Agree 100%

I hated the Karate kid Franchise and I got news for you, if you tried that one leg stuff in a street fight you would get owned.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 06:44:44 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Thought this was a thread on Marcus Smart, the only Cobra we should talk about on this board.

Me, too. Agree 100%

I hated the Karate kid Franchise and I got news for you, if you tried that one leg stuff in a street fight you would get owned.

The setup is dumb, but a front kick using the same mechanics, minus the crane kick stance, is actually really effective.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 08:11:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Kicks can be devastating  if they land but if a guy knows how to grab the leg, you're going down and getting blows rained down from above with the ground surface under your head increasing the danger.  Their are no mats in the real world situation.

The kick as the movie shows it is all Hollywood.  More Kata than practical.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 08:55:37 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I thought this was another Marcus Smart nickname idea :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Kicks can be devastating  if they land but if a guy knows how to grab the leg, you're going down and getting blows rained down from above with the ground surface under your head increasing the danger.  Their are no mats in the real world situation.

The kick as the movie shows it is all Hollywood.  More Kata than practical.

Front kicks are really hard to catch. It's just a sneaky angle that they come from and it's really quick without much telegraphing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pS9uyXUY-gM

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 06:11:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Front kicks are really hard to catch.

I never have found it too hard and then it's fall time and throat punch for the kill.

19 percent of karate stylists who hadn’t kickboxed knocked out their opponents in violent situations. This is identical to the worldwide kickboxing KO rate of 19 percent.
20 percent of boxers knocked out their antagonists, compared to the 34-percent worldwide boxing KO rate. These fights were often urban street encounters that featured groups, weapons and indecisive resolutions.
90 percent of boxers involved in drunken brawls knocked out their opponents, with 10 percent sustaining hand injuries. Not one of those boxers jabbed.
36 percent of martial artists who had kickboxed knocked out their antagonists. These encounters reflect a wide variety of circumstances and correspond to the worldwide boxing KO rate. The side kick was the dominant KO strike.
47 percent of identified noncombat athletes scored KOs in brawls and self-defense situations. They were primarily large throwers (football players) and small punchers (rugby, softball and soccer players) taking the fight to low-cohesion groups of smaller males.

https://blackbeltmag.com/mixed-martial-arts-training/boxing/knockout-and-concussion-statistics-for-violent-encounters/

Two of these guys are known kickers

https://evolve-mma.com/blog/8-awesome-knockout-artists-mma/

A lot of the top fighters are strikers and grapplers.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 12:59:45 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Just finished watching it, and am quite pleased with the results. I think it does the franchise justice. It's was also cool to see Johnny's POV through much of it, in particular on how he experienced the events of the 1st Karate Kid movie.

I'll very much welcome a sequel to this first season.

And man, what an awesome soundtrack it had. Only complaint on that regard is that it was missing a an awesome song to carry us through the tournament like "You're the Best" by Joe Esposito in the 1st movie.

Also, to those complaining about this topic don't recall the significance Karate Kid had for us through our playoff runs in the KG-Pierce-Allen era.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 06:22:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
It's been renewed for a 2nd season:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/10/youtube-reds-cobra-kai-renewed-for-second-season

I just finished too. It was great if you love Karate Kid.

And I do!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird