Author Topic: Jaylen brown open to coming off the bench  (Read 7799 times)

Re: Jaylen brown open to coming off the bench
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Were we watching the same playoffs last year?Brown was the Celtics best all around player for the Celtics in last year's playoffs. I mean you are aware that in that Cleveland series

Brown 19.7 RPG, 4.9 RPG, 1.6 APG, 36.6 3PT%, 33 MPG
Tatum 17.9PPG, 4.1 RPG, 2.0 APG, 34.6% 3PT%, 37.1MPG

No, Nick, you don't get it - Brown is a scrub who should have blended in perfectly with the corpse that was playing as Hayward earlier in the year. He has obviously just become a terrible player and this is as good as he is ever going to be. Not playing for the last couple of games has solidified this.

Just give up your hopes of a 3rd year hard working, athletic, electric player ever resurrecting his career to what it was so long ago  ::)

I don't think anyone here has given up on Brown, that seems a bit hyperbolic and bordering on straw man territory.  People have questioned his effort, his fit, and made note of his obviously current poor play, but I don't think anyone is seriously giving up on him.

The cold hard truth is that Brown has been playing quite poorly this season.  If Brown isn't making shots, isn't moving the ball to the open man, and isn't giving maximum effort on defense, there's nothing wrong with pointing this out and wondering if maybe another player might be more capable of helping the team right now.

It just so happens this team has more than 5 capable starters.  Brown can start, or come off the bench, I don't care.  Maybe it's best for the team that he starts, maybe it isn't.  But he first has to start playing to his capabilities, and also needs to find his role on the team (which has changed somewhat since last season).

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2018, 03:44:59 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Were we watching the same playoffs last year?Brown was the Celtics best all around player for the Celtics in last year's playoffs. I mean you are aware that in that Cleveland series

No, Nick, you don't get it - Brown is a scrub who should have blended in perfectly with the corpse that was playing as Hayward earlier in the year. He has obviously just become a terrible player and this is as good as he is ever going to be. Not playing for the last couple of games has solidified this.

Just give up your hopes of a 3rd year hard working, athletic, electric player ever resurrecting his career to what it was so long ago  ::)

I don't think anyone here has given up on Brown, that seems a bit hyperbolic and bordering on straw man territory.  People have questioned his effort, his fit, and made note of his obviously current poor play, but I don't think anyone is seriously giving up on him.

Ha! Have you seen the blog lately? :D

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2018, 05:40:27 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

As far as brown is concerned, I guess it depends on how you define given up.  Is he going to be any kind of a star?  I’d say no fairly confidently.  So in that’s sense you can say I’ve given up.  As far as his numbers in the playoffs last year, I mean, okay.  But here’s the thing; this is the nba.  EVERYBODY can play.  Put about half the league in a feature role and they’ll produce just fine. 

Of course, teams with bad players in feature roles are just that...bad.  So credit for getting us as far as they did last year but let’s not forget that we basically the best defense in the league last hard year so that was a big part of the success.

I still think brown can serve a valuable role on this team.  He’s a versatile defender and good for some highlight reel plays that can hype up the team and the crowd.  But he’ll need to play a role.  He’s easily the fifth best starter.  And he shouldn’t expect to close (I’d put smart in that role).

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2018, 07:00:53 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

As far as brown is concerned, I guess it depends on how you define given up.  Is he going to be any kind of a star?  I’d say no fairly confidently.  So in that’s sense you can say I’ve given up.  As far as his numbers in the playoffs last year, I mean, okay.  But here’s the thing; this is the nba.  EVERYBODY can play.  Put about half the league in a feature role and they’ll produce just fine. 

Of course, teams with bad players in feature roles are just that...bad.  So credit for getting us as far as they did last year but let’s not forget that we basically the best defense in the league last hard year so that was a big part of the success.

I still think brown can serve a valuable role on this team.  He’s a versatile defender and good for some highlight reel plays that can hype up the team and the crowd.  But he’ll need to play a role.  He’s easily the fifth best starter.  And he shouldn’t expect to close (I’d put smart in that role).
So being the youngest Celtic to score 30+ in the playoffs (twice in fact) is just "produce just fine"? By your same standards we should give up on Tatum as well then lol
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2018, 07:11:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So being the youngest Celtic to score 30+ in the playoffs (twice in fact) is just "produce just fine"? By your same standards we should give up on Tatum as well then lol
Only if you overlook the fact that Tatum hasn’t regressed at all this season, whereas Brown has in every major category besides blocks and turnovers. That’s just regular season comparisons too, not including the massive cliff Brown has fallen off from playoffs to now
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2018, 07:26:56 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Come man, it’s the NBA.  Numbers in the short terms are almost meaningless.  My citrique of Jaylen is never about numbers.  It’s about his game, which is severely lacking in many areas.  And if I meant to include Tatum, I would have included Tatum.  As it is, Tatum is another breed entirely.

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2018, 08:23:49 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Only if you overlook the fact that Tatum hasn’t regressed at all this season, whereas Brown has in every major category besides blocks and turnovers. That’s just regular season comparisons too, not including the massive cliff Brown has fallen off from playoffs to now

Honestly  I think Tatum's def has regressed.  He goes for a lot of pump fakes when he is trying close out on someone shooting a long 2 or 3, and he has been worse at both on the ball def and team def.  He seemed to play smarter last year on def as well, and was in better solid def position most of the time.  He has improved his rebounding as far as stats go, but the eye test on his def ehh.

Some of all this I think is that Brown and Tatum now have bullseyes on their backs.  They were the young celtics that made all the noise in the playoffs.  Now everyone is gunning for them, trying to score on them, trying to shut them down.

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
he has not played like a starter either.   Other than Irving and Al , nobody owns a starting spot .  I think people can play themselves in or out .   

Consistency and producing over seasons earns this .

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 09:02:48 PM »

Offline Bdiddy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Brown needs to be traded. Beyond the fact he does not fit with Kyrie he is not worth a near max contract in 2 years so what is the sense of holding on to him?

Danny should be calling on Phoenix to see what he can get for Brown and Rozier.  IF he can get the Suns unprotected first and Okobo it would be a wonderful day

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 09:49:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Brown needs to be traded. Beyond the fact he does not fit with Kyrie he is not worth a near max contract in 2 years so what is the sense of holding on to him?

Danny should be calling on Phoenix to see what he can get for Brown and Rozier.  IF he can get the Suns unprotected first and Okobo it would be a wonderful day

I don't know that trading two important rotation players for a draft pick in a year we are supposed to be going for it all is the best idea  ::)

I am not saying you can't ever trade Brown, but if the dream scenario is an AD trade, then he is almost certainly going to be an important part of that trade. Rozier has looked okay lately, but he is not untouchable - even during the season. I am still concerned about hitting the luxury tax. If he and Yabu are packaged and we are able to pick up a buy out vet or two later in the year, we might be able to make it work out just fine.

But no way on trading Brown unless it is a bigger deal for a surefire all-star.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:05:42 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2018, 12:26:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Come man, it’s the NBA.  Numbers in the short terms are almost meaningless.  My citrique of Jaylen is never about numbers.  It’s about his game, which is severely lacking in many areas.  And if I meant to include Tatum, I would have included Tatum.  As it is, Tatum is another breed entirely.
Come on man, it's the NBA. So called "game" is almost meaningless if it can't produce numbers, and Jaylen was great throughout the playoffs except for that egg in game 7, which wouldn't have happened if Tatum and the others bothered to show up in game 6.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2018, 12:50:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Come on man, it's the NBA. So called "game" doesn't really matter if it can't produce numbers, and Jaylen was great throughout the playoffs except for that egg in game 7, which wouldn't have happened if Tatum and the others bothered to show up in game 6.
Yeah, I think Jaylen was the team's best overall player in the playoffs.

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Come on man, it's the NBA. So called "game" doesn't really matter if it can't produce numbers, and Jaylen was great throughout the playoffs except for that egg in game 7, which wouldn't have happened if Tatum and the others bothered to show up in game 6.
Yeah, I think Jaylen was the team's best overall player in the playoffs.

I think Al was overall better, but Jaylen was really good, and I dont have a problem if he was called the best. Too bad he got injured.

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2018, 09:12:06 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
At this point in their career's I never like both Tatum and Brown on the floor at the same time.

I would like to in the nicest way possible say, did you watch last year's team?
Brown choked in the biggest game of his life while Tatum thrived that's what i remember

You are confused.  I was referring to a whole season where they won 55 games with them playing together and the post season where we won 11 games with them playing together. 

Why on earth after that season would anyone ever say that JB and JT can't be on the court at the same time?  It isn't supported by the facts at all.  It is like the most whiny, take everything out of context, unsupported comment I have ever seen about Brown and Tatum.

You switching the goalposts to some crap comment trying to blame Brown for us not getting to the finals is idiocy.

It is hilarious when you think about it, how conveniently Marcus Smart going 1-10 from the field in that game is never mentioned. You would think it never happened .

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2018, 11:00:00 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Great to see Jaylen come out with the right attitude and determination to impact the game whether he's starting or not. We're all conditioned into thinking that the best players are the starters, because most teams don't have the luxury of having 7-8 players who would do a great job as a starter on any given night. So it becomes about lineups and making the most of when you do get on the court and he did that tonight - he was aggressive, attacked the rim, didn't force anything. If he keeps that up he becomes another huge asset whenever he is on the court.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D