Author Topic: Jaylen brown open to coming off the bench  (Read 7811 times)

Re: Jaylen brown open to coming off the bench
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I would prefer to start brown and bring smart and Hayward off the bench.  In addition, I would prefe it if rosier was on another team.
Brown is not a good fit with Kyrie because he is not a play maker.  He can’t handle the ball and puts a lot more pressure on Kyrie to do everything. Smart is the guy to keep with Kyrie, he is a better all around player and a great defender.  This gives Kyrie more freedom on defense too.  Brown could play nice minutes off the bench and add energy and pace to the second unit along with Hayward. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:34:36 AM by Hank Finkel »

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2018, 07:24:05 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
At this point in their career's I never like both Tatum and Brown on the floor at the same time.

I would like to in the nicest way possible say, did you watch last year's team?
Brown choked in the biggest game of his life while Tatum thrived that's what i remember

Yeah, Brown and Rozier were putrid in game 7 of the ECFs last year.
And were both outstanding in game 6. If anyone else came to play in game 6, the next game would have been game 1 of the Finals instead of game 7.
The point is you can perform poorly at other games because everyone have off nights, but how are you going to react when your back is on the wall , it's a make or miss league and it';s a extremely important trait of how are you going to pull it off when you absolutely can't mess up
And the point that the other side is making is you can nip it in the bud instead of sabotaging your own situation and being forced to react with your backs against the wall.
No one can totally do that, Brown certainly can't ,that's the point

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 07:34:57 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
At this point in their career's I never like both Tatum and Brown on the floor at the same time.

Brown choked in the biggest game of his life while Tatum thrived that's what i remember

You are confused.  I was referring to a whole season where they won 55 games with them playing together and the post season where we won 11 games with them playing together. 

Why on earth after that season would anyone ever say that JB and JT can't be on the court at the same time?  It isn't supported by the facts at all.  It is like the most whiny, take everything out of context, unsupported comment I have ever seen about Brown and Tatum.

You switching the goalposts to some crap comment trying to blame Brown for us not getting to the finals is idiocy.
I am not confused, i mentioned playoffs because that is where we are looking at, last year
Brad ride his horde through Bucks and Sixers with Tatum and AL being the biggest reason, and despite all the advantages and Tatum's epic performance we still can't get past Lebron, thanks to Brown's(and Rozier's) epic choking job

Can Brown play alongside Tatum? sure but if our goal is to win it all it may not be a good idea, last year is the proof

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 07:55:44 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

You are confused.  I was referring to a whole season where they won 55 games with them playing together and the post season where we won 11 games with them playing together. 

Why on earth after that season would anyone ever say that JB and JT can't be on the court at the same time?  It isn't supported by the facts at all.  It is like the most whiny, take everything out of context, unsupported comment I have ever seen about Brown and Tatum.

You switching the goalposts to some crap comment trying to blame Brown for us not getting to the finals is idiocy.

Yeah, people are going nuts over Smart starting with Brown pretty much being relegated to mop up duty off the bench. It's great that we won a couple of games in a row with this line-up, but we started 16-2 last year with the Baynes/Brown line-up - team that won 55 games and almost went to the Finals without Kyrie.

I am happy to see the Cs finally playing well, but the Kyrie/Brown/Tatum/Horford/Baynes line-up was never really given a chance even though we used it all of last year. I am also happy to see Hayward coming back around, but he is also one of the main reasons everybody felt out of place in their roles to start the season.

Brown deserves better than he is getting (it's not so much this thread, but the game thread). Leave it to CB to make someone obsolete after missing a couple of games.

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 08:03:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Brown is not a good fit with Kyrie because he is not a play maker.  He can’t handle the ball and puts a lot more pressure on Kyrie to do everything

His decision and basketball IQ are suspect at times too.

I hate to say it but I think if we trade someone Jaylen may be the odd man out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:11:26 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I am not confused, i mentioned playoffs because that is where we are looking at, last year
Brad ride his horde through Bucks and Sixers with Tatum and AL being the biggest reason, and despite all the advantages and Tatum's epic performance we still can't get past Lebron, thanks to Brown's(and Rozier's) epic choking job

Can Brown play alongside Tatum? sure but if our goal is to win it all it may not be a good idea, last year is the proof

Your conclusion is flawed because too many variables have changed.  We aren't operating under the context of Tatum and Brown needing to be the two best offensive players on the team. 

Most of us would agree that Jaylen is a not a natural scorer at this stage of his career.  However, are we really going to use game 7 as the sole criteria to evaluate his ability to play alongside Tatum?  The argument just doesn't make sense on any level.  Jaylen had a number of excellent games and clutch plays during last year's playoffs.

Jaylen probably came into this season with a bit of overconfidence.  This quickly flipped the other way when the team got off to a poor start.  He's going to be fine in the long run.  As I mentioned earlier, I bet there's a sense of relief that the team is starting to find their mojo.  It should make his life much easier when he returns from injury.     

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Yeah, Brown and Rozier were putrid in game 7 of the ECFs last year.
And were both outstanding in game 6. If anyone else came to play in game 6, the next game would have been game 1 of the Finals instead of game 7.
The point is you can perform poorly at other games because everyone have off nights, but how are you going to react when your back is on the wall , it's a make or miss league and it';s a extremely important trait of how are you going to pull it off when you absolutely can't mess up
And the point that the other side is making is you can nip it in the bud instead of sabotaging your own situation and being forced to react with your backs against the wall.
No one can totally do that, Brown certainly can't ,that's the point
Neither could Tatum seal the deal, he certainly can't, that's the point
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Your conclusion is flawed because too many variables have changed.  We aren't operating under the context of Tatum and Brown needing to be the two best offensive players on the team. 

Most of us would agree that Jaylen is a not a natural scorer at this stage of his career.  However, are we really going to use game 7 as the sole criteria to evaluate his ability to play alongside Tatum?  The argument just doesn't make sense on any level.  Jaylen had a number of excellent games and clutch plays during last year's playoffs.

Jaylen probably came into this season with a bit of overconfidence.  This quickly flipped the other way when the team got off to a poor start.  He's going to be fine in the long run.  As I mentioned earlier, I bet there's a sense of relief that the team is starting to find their mojo.  It should make his life much easier when he returns from injury.     
Well he also conveniently forgot how Jaylen carried us in the first round against the Bucks, which went 7 games. Guess it doesn't matter because hey he didn't show up in a game that would've never happened if the players he thought were clutch showed up in the prior game.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2018, 10:08:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Well he also conveniently forgot how Jaylen carried us in the first round against the Bucks, which went 7 games. Guess it doesn't matter because hey he didn't show up in a game that would've never happened if the players he thought were clutch showed up in the prior game.

Last year was last year, it is a what have you done for me lately league and you know that.   

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2018, 10:47:52 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2493
Not surprised to hear this at all.  I firmly believe the team's struggles have centered around confidence, or lack thereof, more than anything else.  The young guys came into the season believing they would collectively beat down the rest of the league.  Things got off to a poor start and everyone tightened up.  Poor shooting, lack of aggression, and inconsistent effort can all be attributed to confidence issues with the young guys.

My least favorite narrative is that the team was playing "selfish" basketball and trying to get "theirs".  I'd imagine there's a sense of relief that the team might have found a successful starting lineup with Smart and Morris.  I'm expecting to see a trickle down effect to the rest of the team.

This take definitely matches Marcus Morris' interview from a few weeks ago. Basically he said the young guys were having issues shaking off bad games and they were carrying the negative energy into the next game.

TPs for both of you, that is right on the money.

There were so many expectations going into this year. The young guys in particular - and Hayward - have looked frozen, not sure whether to be aggressive or unselfish.

Putting Hayward and Brown on the bench will help them find their game more organically. Smart and Morris are seasoned fighters who will battle defensively and hold down the fort as starters. Brown, Tatum, and Rozier are still learning, and need polish. Hayward is coming off a major injury.

Spreading the talent around will work wonders for this team's confidence.

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2018, 10:57:45 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would prefer to start brown and bring smart and Hayward off the bench.  In addition, I would prefe it if rosier was on another team.
Brown is not a good fit with Kyrie because he is not a play maker.  He can’t handle the ball and puts a lot more pressure on Kyrie to do everything. Smart is the guy to keep with Kyrie, he is a better all around player and a great defender.  This gives Kyrie more freedom on defense too.  Brown could play nice minutes off the bench and add energy and pace to the second unit along with Hayward.
I see brown as a complimentary player that needs to learn how to play with better players around him.  I also think that Kyrie needs to focus on handling the ball and distributing to start the games anyway.  But mostly, I think a bench of rozier and brown would be far too erratic.  On top of that, I don’t want brown and rozier  playing with Hayward because neither has any playmaking ability and will be unable to consistently get Hayward involved (like smart would).

I’m pretty bearish on brown and rozier either way.  I’d love to ship rozier out for whatever and we’ll see how brown develops but I’m not seeing a star and would have serious concerns that he ends up being a good reliable player in the long run.

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Were we watching the same playoffs last year?Brown was the Celtics best all around player for the Celtics in last year's playoffs. I mean you are aware that in that Cleveland series

Brown 19.7 RPG, 4.9 RPG, 1.6 APG, 36.6 3PT%, 33 MPG
Tatum 17.9PPG, 4.1 RPG, 2.0 APG, 34.6% 3PT%, 37.1MPG

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Were we watching the same playoffs last year?Brown was the Celtics best all around player for the Celtics in last year's playoffs. I mean you are aware that in that Cleveland series

No, Nick, you don't get it - Brown is a scrub who should have blended in perfectly with the corpse that was playing as Hayward earlier in the year. He has obviously just become a terrible player and this is as good as he is ever going to be. Not playing for the last couple of games has solidified this.

Just give up your hopes of a 3rd year hard working, athletic, electric player ever resurrecting his career to what it was so long ago  ::)

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1004
Other teams are going to start game-planning for this strategy in the long-run.

This will solve a short-term problem, but eventually, we'll need our death lineup of Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford back.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2018, 01:47:32 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1488

No, Nick, you don't get it - Brown is a scrub who should have blended in perfectly with the corpse that was playing as Hayward earlier in the year. He has obviously just become a terrible player and this is as good as he is ever going to be. Not playing for the last couple of games has solidified this.

Just give up your hopes of a 3rd year hard working, athletic, electric player ever resurrecting his career to what it was so long ago  ::)