Author Topic: Is brown our most underrated player?  (Read 3913 times)

Re: Is brown our most underrated player?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »

Offline mbsnmisc

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
He’s the guy I don’t want to move for Davis. He’s going to reach Khris Middleton level, at least.
Yeah, I am resolved to have to lose Tatum to get AD and give this roster a better balance and hierarchy, but if it's down to Smart or Brown, you have to keep Brown. Once he corrects his free throw shooting, and he will, he will become a dangerous offensive weapon and elite two way player.

Jaylen has enough self-confidence and is the type of trendsetter that might bring back the underhand free throw to the Association.

I hope Jaylen stays stateside this offseason and gets some high-level coaching. I still feel his trek through Southeast Asia, while enlightening, contributed to his slooow start.

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 07:11:18 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
The thing that I like about Brown is how hard he works on improving specific aspects of his game each year. I'm sure the coaching staff has a hand in this.

Right now I see his 2 biggest weaknesses are finishing at the rim and free-throw shooting. He often makes very athletic moves through the defense but looses control of the ball at the last second. He's improved tremendously compared to his play in college and his rookie season where he was constantly getting called for charges, but there's still room for improvement.

I have no doubt that free-throw shooting is going to be a focus for him this summer. It's a glaring weakness and one that can be fixed through practice and technique.

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 07:21:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When is he going to work on his free throws?   I love Jaylen but he needs to address this weakness in his game

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
When is he going to work on his free throws?   I love Jaylen but he needs to address this weakness in his game

I still cringe/hold my breath every time he goes to the line. He gets tight there.  Needs to figure it out.  Don't want him on the court at very end of game where the other team is looking to foul someone, like yesterday's game.

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 10:16:33 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570

I still cringe/hold my breath every time he goes to the line. He gets tight there.  Needs to figure it out.  Don't want him on the court at very end of game where the other team is looking to foul someone, like yesterday's game.

While I agree in general, the guy who I really worry about at the FT line late in the game is Tatum.

Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems to miss quite a few with the game in the line. Hopefully he can rectify this problem.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 10:18:47 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The thing that I like about Brown is how hard he works on improving specific aspects of his game each year. I'm sure the coaching staff has a hand in this.

Right now I see his 2 biggest weaknesses are finishing at the rim and free-throw shooting. He often makes very athletic moves through the defense but looses control of the ball at the last second. He's improved tremendously compared to his play in college and his rookie season where he was constantly getting called for charges, but there's still room for improvement.

I have no doubt that free-throw shooting is going to be a focus for him this summer. It's a glaring weakness and one that can be fixed through practice and technique.

I would agree here, but add one additional issue. He could use some extensive work on his footwork in the post. He does some posting up now and is OK at it, but he could be unstoppable. He's really quick and long and has a good touch, so he does score on post ups, but his pivoting and footwork is terrible. If he worked hard on that for a summer, I could see him adding 2-3 buckets a game, and he'd start to draw fouls more.

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 10:37:57 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Brown is one of my favorite players to watch, he's super smooth and arguably our biggest catch-and-shoot threat from 3 but he still makes a lot of mental mistakes, especially on defense. You can see how frustrated his teammates get sometimes. That and the free throws are what's holding him back. But I like him a lot and think Brad held his minutes down too long, especially after Morris regressed.

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 11:27:31 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Jaylen is at best our fifth best player (behind Kyrie, Al, Hawyard, and Tatum).  So, I'd say he's rated about right.

Doesn't look like he'll ever be an alpha, or a beta even, but he certainly has been taking advantage of the attention to our other players.  Good for him and good for the Celts.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:28:37 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Inconsistency is still his biggest weakness.

Inconsistent at the free throw line. Inconsistent with his focus on defense. Inconsistent with his general offensive output.

But he's pretty clutch and if he can find consistency he can still be an all star and an All Defense caliber guy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 11:47:29 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Far from underrated. I think people know about him and tbh the Pacers were doing great on him by denying him the drive but then they just stopped for whatever reason. Brown has this issue where he will attempt to drive but has a 1 tracked mind and will bull rush his arse in there 😂.  He needs to work on a crossover or some counter moves but I love that he at least tries.

I do believe he will be an All-star player one day. He is a great player and will continue to grow as he MATURES. He just needs to slow down sometimes.

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2019, 11:10:01 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I root for Brown because I know how hard he plays the game. I see that at times he is at a cusp of finding his best basketball self.
Yet I just don't see him as some of you do.

His ball handling is below average, he still struggles to finish through contact at the rim, he still sometimes struggles with confidence too, he makes a lot of mistakes on defense, free throw shooting is well below average, he isn't developing nearly as quickly as I thought he would.

If he doesn't begin working on his shortcomings in the offseason, rather than workout with some ex-NBA star pretending that he is a nearly finished product, he'll never see an all-star game.

Underrated? There is a good probability that in a few seasons he'll be considered overrated. 

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2019, 12:15:17 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Brown is one of my favorite players to watch, he's super smooth and arguably our biggest catch-and-shoot threat from 3 but he still makes a lot of mental mistakes, especially on defense. You can see how frustrated his teammates get sometimes. That and the free throws are what's holding him back. But I like him a lot and think Brad held his minutes down too long, especially after Morris regressed.

Chris Forsberg asked Jaylen about this in an article published on NBC Sports Boston:

Well, sometimes his teammates are his biggest critics. They, along with Boston coaches, are not bashful about pointing out Brown’s miscues when they happen. Late in Game 4 against the Pacers, cameras caught Kyrie Irving having a firm conversation with Brown coming in and out of a late-game timeout. Teammates admit they push Brown because they know what he’s capable of.

But, this reporter wondered, does Brown feel like teammates yell at him a lot?

"Do I think my teammates yell at me a lot?” Brown said, repeating the question. "To be honest, I’m not even sure how to answer that question.”

We explained how it simply seemed like Brown was more likely than others to get told what he did wrong on a play.

"For sure,” Brown relented with a smile, to which we noted that was probably just human nature to feel that way.

"It is. But I don’t even pay attention to it. I have a job to do and I try to do it to the best of my ability,” said Brown. "As a player, you learn to handle situations better as you get older. And I’ve learned so much this year. Just about myself as a person, myself as a basketball player. I still have a lot to learn and I realize that.

"Sometimes I can be willing to learn more, even though I am willing to learn, sometimes the best thing to do is just be quiet. I’ve learned that as well. I just gotta continue to keep learning. I’ve learned a lot in this league, and I’ve accomplished some stuff in this league. And I want to accomplish more. I gotta keep listening and, at times, I can be more open to that.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/sorry-keep-you-waiting-celtics-jaylen-brown-emerges-playoffs-after-rocky-start-his-season
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D