Author Topic: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Voting Analysis : Team of the Future  (Read 579377 times)

Re: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Roster Analysis Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 09:32:11 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
we are going to play salmons at the 2 and jefferson at the 3...i really like david lee who can play some at center if needed and can be a really good power forward...but you are right,,,we need someone in the middle that can rebound and play good defense...just be solid...i feel like i am still late to the party but we are working on getting it done...i like portland if they can stay heathy...i think redd is going to be a steal for them

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Southwest Division:

A strong division. The fans here will have some very interesting basketball to watch.

The Mavericks are the most centered on “winning now”, and they’re the most ready. They’d do well to trade one of Terry, Peja, or Shawn Marion for a true shooting guard, because despite that they don’t lack for shooters, they do lack for a guy that can do what a 2 needs to do on both ends of the floor. They also need a 5 that can play strong defense, but that’s still on the board of available players. Beyond that they’re stacked. Deep playoff contender for sure.

Kobe Bryant makes the Hornets the second best team in this division, if they can only manage to surround him with average players. Whatever. Its true I hate it you hate it but its true. Its best to move on.

The Grizzlies get the nod for third, and probably another playoff spot. Tony Parker and Rudy Gay are both known, valuable commodities. Brook Lopez is on his way to being an elite center in the league, and Boris Diaw could make your team or break your heart. Lately he’s been more consistent though. Bargnani is not the worst #1 pick there ever was, but he had 15 points on 40% shooting from 3 last year. He’s got the potential to be Mehmet Okur at the worst. They’re not gonna be tough up front, but they’re gonna be talented.

Big Al is gonna kill me for this, but I think the Spurs are solid, and not finished. I like Al Thorton, but can you really afford a 25% perimeter player when your post consists of Luis Scola and Jeff Foster? The inside is going to be more clogged than..well something really clogged. Thorton won’t have the space, and neither with Rose or Mayo penetrate, and the offense will suffer because of it. Rose, Mayo, Thorton, and Scola are all very solid players, and Jeff Foster is as well, but I don’t like something about the way they fit together. How would they play? How would it all work? Seems kinda like they could use a shooter either where Al Thorton or Jeff Foster are.

The Rocket come in last, but like the previous team, I feel bad about it. I’m probably even wrong here, but entering round six they have Chris Bosh who proved last year he can’t carry a team to a playoff spot, and Joe Johnson. Beyond that they have question marks. Is Monta Ellis going to come back in a significant way? Will he ever? Is Anthony Randolph a starter on a full time basis? He did well in spot mins for Golden State last minute, but even Gerald Green cold score 20 points as a starter on a bad team. This team could go from last to first with the right draft picks to add depth or the right trade to bring back what they need. I don’t think they’re there yet.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 10:47:59 PM »

Offline BandwagonFan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 15
Great analysis, guys. I was thinking about posting something about this myself, but I think a lot of people with more basketball knowledge than myself have done a good job of that already ;)

I do think the Celtics are being underrated, though. They look really good to me, and I've always been intrigued by the idea of Odom at SF. The Atlantic is a tough, tough division, but I like the C's at 2nd or maybe even 1st instead of the apparent consensus at third.

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 11:14:43 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
My take on the Northwest:

Denver Nuggets (Wdleehi)- Greg Oden, Kevin Love, Mike Conley Jr., Jeff Green, Randy Foye, Udonis Haslem, Miekael Pietrus

Jury is still out on Oden. If he makes the leap this year, and learns how to put it together, this team could surprise. Looks like Foye is the one to score for this team, everyone else seems like a glue guy or still learning the ropes. Later picks need to get some firepower for the club.

Minnesota Timberwolves (celticinorlando)-Jameer Nelson, Richard Jefferson, David Lee, John Salmons

Incomplete roster, but I like who's here. Nelson surprised last year: will he stick around, or will he regress? Jefferson and Salmons should be steady hands for this club, with Lee doing the blue-collar work.

Seattle Supersonics (Hoyo de Monterray)- Tim Duncan, Ben Gordon, T.J. Ford, Thaddeus Young, Hasheem Thabeet

Is Thabeet a starter in the league? He'll learn from Duncan, but baptism by fire could simply result in flameout. Ford will be the motor of the club, and Gordon should provide the scoring. A work in progress, but a good start.

Portland Trailblazers (Edgar/Roy Hobbs)- Rashard Lewis, Manu Ginobili, Michael Redd, Mike Bibby, Jermaine O'Neal, Spencer Hawes, Brad Miller, Delonte West

Division leader. The Miller-Hawes platoon at center should be effective, and West is a nice insurance policy should Bibby get injured. Would like to see a true SF for greater lineup flexibility, to allow Lewis to play PF occasionally.

Utah Jazz (Scribbles)- Dirk Nowitski, Chauncey Billups, Chris Kaman, Mike Dunleavy

Incomplete roster, but another nice start, assuming Dunleavy comes back from injury at full speed/strength. Strong frontcourt, and Billups is among the best at PG.

The ranking (3-5 can finish in any number of different orders):

1. Portland
2. Seattle
3. Denver
4. Utah
5. Minnesota
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 11:20:51 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm waiting for the Pacific Division analysis.  ;D ;D TPs for those who do.

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 11:21:35 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Credit to celticinorlando for putting together a competitive team after having their first rounder postponed for a round and then missing out on Vince Carter by seconds. Kudos to their GM for righting that ship.

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2009, 11:22:55 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

I keep on forgetting that Dwight Howard is in the Pacific. I have these visions of Buffalo on the Eastern side of the country. Silly me.

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Ahh we don't need that.

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2009, 11:25:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It will be fun to look at how this changes after tomorrow.  Two rounds.  Some teams are going to help themselves alot.  Some team will watch.  And some team will do something that makes everyone go "What?  Why?  No."

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
It will be fun to look at how this changes after tomorrow.  Two rounds.  Some teams are going to help themselves alot.  Some team will watch.  And some team will do something that makes everyone go "What?  Why?  No."

One thing I like about Denver is Love next to Oden. I think they compliment each other well.

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 11:28:41 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I think it may be a bit too early for any legit team analysis when we've only had 6 rounds. Obviously this is all in good fun but with all due respect to IP who I'm sure is very thoughtful but when breakdowns consist of "I think the Bucks have a major gaping hole at center", you'd have to imagine my shock.

Really?? A team that has only drafted 4 players at this positions to this point and no center would have a problem?? Shut the front door I say! How'd you even come up with that?? That's crazy talk. I say the Bucks are ready to go 4 on 5 with any team out there, anytime baby! We're takin' on all comers!  ;D
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2009, 11:29:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

One thing I like about Denver is Love next to Oden. I think they compliment each other well.

That's why I targeted him and felt comfortable trading down twice in the 2nd rounds.

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2009, 11:34:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I think it may be a bit too early for any legit team analysis when we've only had 6 rounds. Obviously this is all in good fun but with all due respect to IP who I'm sure is very thoughtful but when breakdowns consist of "I think the Bucks have a major gaping hole at center", you'd have to imagine my shock.

Really?? A team that has only drafted 4 players at this positions to this point and no center would have a problem?? Shut the front door I say! How'd you even come up with that?? That's crazy talk. I say the Bucks are ready to go 4 on 5 with any team out there, anytime baby! We're takin' on all comers!  ;D

The reason why the hole is gaping now as opposed to 2 rounds ago when it was just a position to fill is because nearly every single legit starting center is gone. Even further, every single average to above average starting center is gone. On top of that, those who haven't got their starting big men yet are going to hoard them tomorrow, and you don't pick for another 26 guys. If you had no legit starting shooting guard, then it would not be as bad. That was my reasoning. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not, time will tell.

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

The reason why the hole is gaping now as opposed to 2 rounds ago when it was just a position to fill is because nearly every single legit starting center is gone. Even further, every single average to above average starting center is gone. On top of that, those who haven't got their starting big men yet are going to hoard them tomorrow, and you don't pick for another 26 guys. If you had no legit starting shooting guard, then it would not be as bad. That was my reasoning. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not, time will tell.

That's why you reach for starting Cs.

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2009, 11:40:11 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

That's why you reach for starting Cs.

Didn't the Bucks have the fifth pick in round five. They could of picked a center then. What happened to that pick?  :P